PDA

View Full Version : Why complain about locked GRs and VEC reqs?

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 00:26
At least it includes more elements into the game...

And why isn't anyone (besides me) looking at the good things in locked GRs?

- OP fights won't be a GR campfest (as much as before)

- At least it makes people actually go through the intervening wastelands to get to their destination, making the lands somewhat more populated.

- Driving becomes a more respectable tradeskill (oh, yes it is a valid tradeskill, I have accumulated a fair bit of wealth off just driving, plus I'm starting a taxi service clan, with the attendant abilities in relation to driving.) because then pure PvPers won't have to change their setups and mob-hunters have easier access to their quarry's breeding grounds (plus vastly more transport to boot) and tradeskillers get secure transport... Driving midlevelers to CRP is NOT the only market for drivers to offer their skills to.

Nearly all the complaints I've been hearing about locked grs and VECs have come from purely PvP oriented characters that doesn't like the enforced change to their routine and doesn't want to spec anything into VEC and mob-campers that don't like having to work for their prey a bit more.

The VEC skill question sounds EXACTLY like the poison question - when KK made poison stacking somewhat effective, those that didn't have skilled POR and refused to do so went on a program of strident complaining about the change. Now that the VEC changes and the new vehicles are looming, people are whining that they won't get to use them without skilling for it.

Now, I won't deny that the locked GRs did throw a wench into everyone's plans of just playing the way they always have, but let's adapt.

Sure, VECs have their small problems, but that's now... we all have heard of the new changes to VECs and the up and coming new production units of VECs...

Sure, we might want the higher-end VECs to have a tad less in VEC requirement... Sure, we might want the CRP GR made public or a GR put into the desert racetrack... Sure, there might be some faulty code in APCs or in the server code that makes them ejaculate with fatals and such, splattering the riders in the process... but those things take time.

Let's just hire drivers and move on.

Helen Angilley
09-09-03, 00:30
If half the fucking server wasn't hiding in the same faction, or it's respective allies, I don't think people would be complaining as much.

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 00:32
There's that...

faction bunching just saddens me...

SorkZmok
09-09-03, 00:37
Well i still like the genrep changes.

but atm im playing on jupiter. 90% of the genreps are set to clan only or friendly faction only. maybe even more than 90.

and thats the point where it starts to suck.
(actually i wouldnt even bitch if THE FUCKING EL FARID GENREP WOULD WORK. but no, you still get dropped in the middle of nowhere....)

so, when i want to go get some xp i have to drive from nc or the mb. bah. i already lost 2 hovertecs cause some evil ppl saw my evil red faction. o_O

KK really need to add 2 or 3 new genreps. then it would be ok.

And talking about the PvP aspect, i love that. but being quite a noob on jupiter, it totally sucks ass.

Breschau
09-09-03, 00:37
My main issue is with the stability of vehicles - or lack thereof. I hear people say that you can't zone with a full apc and expect everyone to make it across.. but for me it's just driving a hoverbike more than 2 or 3 zones.

I had new characters created on saturn who all took enough vehicle use to at least use hoverbikes (since saturn has 80% of outposts split between 2 factions I didn't wanna rely on genreps). And if I have to travel more than a couple of zones, you can guarantee that at some point I'll be wondering where my bike went and having to trapse around on foot looking for it.. which kinda defeats the entire point of using the bike in the first place.

Unfortunately it's not a case of a few isolated incidents for me - this has been happening to me on a regular basis. Meanwhile walking across the wasteland, although *incredibly* tedious, almost never generates any kind of zoning issue for me. It's a real shame :(

KimmyG
09-09-03, 00:39
There is Point Red,Tech haven,MB,Crest village and El farid that are all open GR's if you launch from these getting places is not to hard.

I think it would improved if they added GR's to battle dome and blackmist.

MrBane
09-09-03, 00:48
The main issue, Heavy, and you'll know this is true, is that we're all used to an easier lifestyle.

If the GR changes had been like this from the start, we wouldn't be complaining.

It's natural law. You can't complain if the sour milk is free, but you can bitch like a whore if they suddenly start charging for it.

The only real problem I have, was that as a Merc, my god, on Pluto, for weeks on end, not one single Outpost GR was open to me. It was shocking.

So I eventually got used to going to Jeriko, or the Bunker, or more frequently, Tech Haven, and grabbing my vehicle from there.

I don't know though.... They could do with a few more ASG's.. They need to re-position the ones they have just now.

One at each corner of the map, and one in the center, would work. Each ASG needs to have it's own GR, it's an essential benefit to increasing vehicle use.

They also, and my god, I dearly want this, need to create vehicle lots in certain zones or areas, where you can park your vehicle, and it'll be unharmed by Mobs.. You then wait the 120 seconds before it goes into lockdown and is secure, then can logout, knowing it'll still be there when you get back.

I think the option to 'Spawn Timer' would be handy.. IE: When leaving your vehicle, do you wish to have it automatically transport back to Garage after the timelimit?

I know many a time I've not wanted it to, but phoomf, there it goes. What a nightmare.

Especially bad when it means you're stranded in the arse end of nowhere.

So ASG's & Gr's at the corner of the maps and one in the center, user-decided Spawn Reset, and vehicle lots at various locations.. Generally I'd consider those to be wherever there was a large cluttering of buildings..

Or even as someone suggest, Truckstops.. Dotted purely at random, where you can leave your vehicle in a secure lot, sit in the cafe and have a beer..

Brilliant.

AS for those that moan about gimping themselves for vehicles, they're too PvP orientated.. Really, what's 12 points to use the Speedbike? That's only two points to another skill at max level. Do those 2 points add that much, really? I don't think so.

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 00:50
Well... yeah, as I said, vec stability has to get worked on...

Kimmy, part of the problem with those GRs, vec depots aren't exactly near them ^ ^. With the exception of MB.

I will look for a post or two that I made about this, and put it into a new post here so it's clearer.

KimmyG
09-09-03, 00:56
True I for one perfer to walk myself.

Car transport is to frusrating with getting caught up on shit then with crashs and sync and with boosters you can get anywhere just as fast.

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 01:08
Ok, this I cut out of some thread that I commented heavily in, my posts in - "Wasteland Grs"

quote:
"I however, would cheer if KK put a public gr at the Desert Racetrack. Oh, and one at an abandoned village near Regant's Legacy - Regants Fortress most likely gets locked far too often and its a LONG way from TH to Regants Legacy... Um, oh, and a public Gr as well around between sieger and hawkins - thats a long and lonely stretch. But thats it.

Yeah... more depots should be put up... this is a MUST.

Lets say, a vec depot around the Oases, right? By this, I mean put one at El Farid (village, oops) and Educador Oasis ... they're villages, ffs, let them have some vecs!

Ah, yes, and a depot at Crest Village and Calida Village and Point Red Village, BattleDome, perhaps, and dare I say it, Tawkeen Village?

Hey - put one up at that Old Greycore Outpost (abandoned village) as well, it'd be nice.

Putting the depots at villages gives them a real purpose, giving them life besides just the furtive local Yo's Merchants and nomad traders occupying the villages.

GIVE LIFE TO THE WASTELAND VILLAGES!"

See, with more depots, and just a selective placement of one or two critical public GRs, we greatly allievate the strain on the poor, poor players.

Hired drivers might get shafted a bit if things become conivient enough that people decide to go "heck with it" and skill enough VEC to use a fast VEC.

But might become necessary to keep players (yes, fussy lot, aren't we?)

Shadow Dancer
09-09-03, 01:11
1.Vehicles need to be faster.

2.We need more depots.

3.Vehicles can't be so expensive KK wants us to use them in op wars.

MrBane
09-09-03, 01:14
3.Vehicles can't be so expensive KK wants us to use them in op wars.

They're not. Buy them from player traders, not from the ASG shop.

People moan we don't have enough money-sinks either.
Can't win.

Shadow Dancer
09-09-03, 01:21
Originally posted by MrBane
They're not. Buy them from player traders, not from the ASG shop.

lol it's still expensive if they get blown up, especially tanks or carriers or whatever. I can't even imagine gliders, they'll probably cost 38047028347023048234723482374234820348.

Originally posted by MrBane

People moan we don't have enough money-sinks either.
Can't win.

Well I never said that, so other people's "moans" is a bit irrelevant.

MrBane
09-09-03, 01:26
Well I never said that, so other people's "moans" is a bit irrelevant.

It's a Percentage of Probability.

If you say something like that, another 32 people will be saying it, but they'll also be moaning for money sinks.

Or something. :P

IceStorm
09-09-03, 01:46
There is Point Red,Tech haven,MB,Crest village and El farid that are all open GR's if you launch from these getting places is not to hard.
TH, MB, and TG do not count. You have to go at least one zone to get outside, not to mention the faction guards at MB and TG do shoot . If I have to walk a zone to get to the external worldmap, the GR doesn't count in my opinion.

There are four worldmap GR points accessable to all. Point Red and Crest Village surround NC, so they're next to pointless. El Farid and Escador are a bit further apart, but are still near enough to each other to leave a large section of the map with very limited GR access. If CRP was NOT controlled by Cycrow, then things would be a tad better, but it is so they're not.

NC's publically accesable worldmap GR points went from forty to four in one patch, after we were told that new GR points would be added. That's an order of magnitude change inflicted on a playerbase, with the only compensation being a new depot so far to the extreme north that it's pointless and moving the Jeriko depot to A_08. Small compensation for awful vehicle code and restricted usable travel.

KimmyG
09-09-03, 02:03
How bout you join a clan and fight for some GR's? To lazy to run through MB or TH there not that big I launch from TH all the time its not that big.

Cass
09-09-03, 02:16
Originally posted by SorkZmok
(actually i wouldnt even bitch if THE FUCKING EL FARID GENREP WOULD WORK. but no, you still get dropped in the middle of nowhere....)

Yeah and it's real fun when a DoY bot strays from its buddies and is hangin round those droms by the water (between the real El Farid GR and where it drops you). Real fun.

http://www.nc-os.com/junk/2240.jpg

IceStorm
09-09-03, 02:18
How bout you join a clan and fight for some GR's?
Not everyone wants to be in a clan. My faction allows me access to the few GRs I typically use, although not always at the same time.

To lazy to run through MB or TH there not that big I launch from TH all the time its not that big.
Yes, and you probably have capped runspeed. Not everyone does. I don't necessarily have a problem with using vehcile (making TH/MB more attractive) but when I use them I expect them to rarely crash. Right now, they crash quite often and I get stranded in the middle of nowhere. It'd be different if there were a function to redeploy an in-service vehicle at your char's location, or a recall function that lets me return to my apt without popping my impants, but neither are implemented.

Lorcin
09-09-03, 03:14
1. No new tank vehicles - we are stuck with crappy bikes, no armor hovertecs and 4x4s. I would happily put more points into VHC but am struggling to keep my INT above 15 so I can still use my NexT epic.

2. Bloody auto return is bugged to hell.

3. ATC guns are bugged to hell.

4. No GR at desert racetrack - Honestly from an RP view why the hell would NexT present their new vehicles at a venue which was a 3 or 4 sector walk from all Pro City GR's. Please give us an open GR at Desert Racetrack or remove the ASG and put a open GR and ASG at Blackmist.

KidWithStick
09-09-03, 06:42
the only good GR change IMO is the owning clan GR's to the basement with no SI...thats ownage for OP wars.

but its already hard enough to level, especially when the only good place is always locked.

yea i think hovertechs should have only like 5 INT and 10 dex requirements.

i also think they should compleltly delete the VHC skill...

Berzerker
09-09-03, 07:10
The Gr Setting are a good idea. Problem is, Vehs totally suck. It does not look like the synche problem will ever be fixed. I'm probly going to lom all my veh use out except for bike. Unless they build more veh stations to make up for the syche problems.

Shadow Dancer
09-09-03, 17:42
Today I took my hov-tec to go to cycrow to scout. I saw a few enemies, attacked a few, then sped off. I kept going, then I zoned, and ended up in the middle of a zone and my hov-tec was gone. Luckily I ended up near the desert racetrack asg. So I got another hov-tec, i went across 2 zones, and the same thing happens. It's extremely aggravating, and shows you why a large portion of the population doesn't want to waste PRECIOUS dex points into a skill that doesn't give much return.

Carinth
09-09-03, 18:13
Op fights then and now:

Then:
Clan B gr's to closest gr, waits for full group, and procedes to op.
Clan B asseses the defenses and sets up defenses positions, once they are ready they start hack/kill first turret.
Clan A receives alert turret/comp destroyed/hacked.
Clan A sends one or two scouts to gr directly in and see who is there.
Clan B has the GR camped and ganks the scouts or they barely make it out alive.
Clan A gathers at closest gr (next op or neutral gr) while scouts report and recover to join team at closest gr.
Clan B finishes hack and sets up defensive positions
Clan A arrives in zone and attacks
Loser either gives up or goes to closest gr to prepare for another attack.

Now:
Clan B arrives at closest neutral/friendly gr, waits for full group, survives synchs/crashes, arrives at op.
Clan B asseses the defenses and sets up defenses positions, once they are ready they start hack/kill first turret also may clear UG of turrets since they give no warning.
Clan A receives alert turret/comp destroyed/hacked.
Clan A rushes to gr to UG to defend their op.
Clan B has UG camped and slaughter Clan A as they gr in.
or
Clan B has UG Entrance camped and is in defensive positions
Clan A sends scouts up who are killed/nearly killed.
Clan B finishes hack and Clan A is now stranded in UG.
Clan B sends down groups to test Clan A's defenses.
If Defenses are Strong Clan B gr's to other op and then gr's back to arrive automaticly in UG behind Clan A
Else Defenses are Weak, rush UG and kill Clan A
If Clan A won, they rush to try and hack their op back before Clan B gr's in fully recovered. If sucessful Clan B is forced to find nearest neutral/friendly gr to group at.
Else Clan B won, Clan A is forced to find nearest neutral/friendly gr to group at.

There are of course many other variations, but that is the basic of op warfare. Gr camping has been replaced with Ug camping. The defending clan is still forced to attack their own op. The change definitly improved things, but the system is still flawed.

LTA
09-09-03, 18:30
heh
The map is unaccessable for me in half the places such is the love of Black Dragons, i could gr to el farid and run umpteen zones, but at like 30 agil its takes aggggess. i could goto the racetrack to get a vh to goto whre i am going but thats a run all the way south to drive back on myself and goto where i am going.
i cant use TH, MB, Point Red is miles from where i normally hunt so i get Escador or El Farid....

Woo 2 grs out of the entire fudging map and even those are hardly a help o_O