PDA

View Full Version : How hard will leveling be in the future

LTA
08-09-03, 13:37
I notice that every few patches things are added to make pvm less fun/interesting and more slower and boring experience.

Things like the gr changes, i cant drive i didnt spec vhc because i had points in other skills and couldnt afford so 99% of the map is locked and the public grs tend not to be near where i am going.
The drop rates seem nerfed i kill Decayed Creatures all day and walk away with random amounts of parts (nothing more than 5 yet) and a couple of 10's and imps.
Grim Chasers for some reason now have insane fire dmg, i used to be able to withstand quite a few hits with my tank against a chaser with full inq and a 80 odd fire resist, now i am lucky to take 2 hits.

So what i am asking is how long are kk gonna keep nerfing leveling into one long ass boring timesink, if the games main feature is pvp shouldnt mobs be fun and good to level with instead of a endless chore o_O

Archeus
08-09-03, 13:41
Originally posted by LTA
Things like the gr changes, i cant drive i didnt spec vhc because i had points in other skills and couldnt afford

couldn't afford what? You do know the lowest level craft requires very little points (even if you buff as well). I find it hard to believe that you are unable to get these points?

LTA
08-09-03, 13:53
Originally posted by Archeus
couldn't afford what? You do know the lowest level craft requires very little points (even if you buff as well). I find it hard to believe that you are unable to get these points?

Nope because i went Repair/Recycle/Agility/R-C (and even like that i aint gonna get much decent on my rifles O_o

16 points or something for the lowest, only option i have to put the gimpa vhc cpus things in which requires me to stand in vein hope of getting a poke, then getting another poke at my destination......

Edit :

Also if there were many more vhc garages around like at ops etc (Venus has a couple of ops with garage consoles) and things like if my hover touches a slight bit of water it gets glued to it, i zone and random chances me n the bike will spawn, the fact if i do for some reason lose my vhc i have to wait over an hour and pray someone entered my vhc's zone so the zone resets/

livide
08-09-03, 13:57
i would like to see some psi spell that boosts vhc.... this one is still missing i think, isnt it? :(

Omnituens
08-09-03, 13:58
i have noticed an increase in chaser dmg.

though my hybrid was nerfed/have been play a spy

:lol:

Most of my favourite/best hunting grounds are locked/in enemy territory/have to go thruogh enemy territory.

sucks to be a PvMer now.

EDIT: there are no vhc buffs. however, off the top of my head i cant remember what support gives (Barter, Transport, Repair?), i have just remembered that psi spell descriptions are bugged. the bonuses and dmg type dont always show in the info screen. its really annoying.

QuantumDelta
08-09-03, 14:02
PvP PEs can't afford'em unless they're pure-low-tech.

Every other class should be fine...heh

s0apy
08-09-03, 14:12
things are very different since i were a lad.

the GR changes are definately the biggest impediment to levelling. for those who say "why can't you find the points for vehicle skill", i say - i found the points in RC to give me a decent rate of fire, then i took away from that so i can stealth, then i took away again so i can run good and have decent resists, i'm dammed if i'm going to take still more away so i can use a vehicle.

it's not that vehicle skill is hard to get, it's that for some classes it's the straw that broke the camels back. you can chip away at dex forever, but sooner or later something will stop working right. if you want a viable PvP character, you will not want vehicle skill. in almost every case, putting those points elsewhere will result in a better PvP char.

as near as i can see it, the GR changes should have been accompanied by non-OP wasteland GRs - which were promised at one point BTW.

i just don't see why i should have had all the breaks in the world when i was levelling a year ago...

* much more team xp
* much higher and more valuable drops
* use of all GRs
* free faction/clan movement
* lower mob damage
* lower mob armour

... and a noob char now has the opposite of these.

the only disadvantage we had back then was the possibility to drop our weapons from slot 1, but the drop rates were so high, and mobs so easy to kill, that this hardly mattered.

yes, levelling must be harder now.

solution? make all tagged GRs available to LE chars regardless of security settings.
problem? LE spys will exploit that system. but then shit happens.

Archeus
08-09-03, 14:15
Originally posted by livide
i would like to see some psi spell that boosts vhc.... this one is still missing i think, isnt it? :(

No it isn't.

Support Booster adds to Transport, VHC and Barter.

Also if you are just using it for levelling then put the points in to use a track bike (which I am sure does not take 17VHC, have to check. The brother doesn't have that many points and drives).

Once you are finished levelling, lom out the VHC if you are that worried.

enablerbr
08-09-03, 14:17
well it's just say it's KKs way of trying to kill off power lvling. though all this does is slow power lvlers down. yet put off the casual player base.

livide
08-09-03, 14:27
u are wrong m8
supporter booster 3 for example gives +20 repair + 16 transport +12 barter .... no vhc at all ;)

Originally posted by Archeus
No it isn't.

Support Booster adds to Transport, VHC and Barter.

Also if you are just using it for levelling then put the points in to use a track bike (which I am sure does not take 17VHC, have to check. The brother doesn't have that many points and drives).

Once you are finished levelling, lom out the VHC if you are that worried.

QuantumDelta
08-09-03, 14:31
Originally posted by enablerbr
well it's just say it's KKs way of trying to kill off power lvling. though all this does is slow power lvlers down. yet put off the casual player base.

Not at all, my PPU Made Base PSI 95 in 5 days last week.
Stopped leveling on the weekend :)

LTA
08-09-03, 14:32

Power Levelers are still alive and kicking, i've seen quite a few ways now.

I have seen a few neat ways for anti city and city :p

Archeus
08-09-03, 14:33
Originally posted by livide
u are wrong m8
supporter booster 3 for example gives +20 repair + 16 transport +12 barter .... no vhc at all ;)

*doh* :) I'm pretty sure there is one though? Either a spell / drug and imp.

livide
08-09-03, 14:37
there are no drugs and no spells for vhc...

u can get brain implants... but i want to see some spell for it ^^

(sorry for the last few posts for being offtopic)

Benjie
08-09-03, 14:57
@ Driving: when loms where the way the where before with no expeirience loss and no synaptic imparement, you could experiment with things like your interesting setups. Now it seems you are working endlessly to be the same as everybody else. Answer: Either remove SI and EXP loss from loms, or loose the skill or stat cap.

@ Rares: I like rares as they are now. Seriously. I just think that things like the watt earp should have only 2 parts. The electric tempest should have only 2 parts. etc.

@ Chasers: IMO these should have insane health points, not damage. If KK want to make a team mob then A: they should consider the fact that people arn't willing to loose MC5 chips. B: they should reward people heavily at the end. IE make Grim Chasers tough as fuck to kill but always _always_ drop at least 3 rares, a few VHC 10's and a few chips/weapons.

@ Thread starter: I symphesise with you. I belive that not all mmorpg's should be about being fustrated and angry at the devs/game wasting time killing over and over. Unfortunetly there is a trend. :( Just wait 5 years untill everything has evolved. 5 years after wolfenstien's release, half life came out! :)

LTA
08-09-03, 15:06
Originally posted by Benjie
[B
@ Thread starter: Unfortunetly there is a trend. :( [/B]

Hopefully someone somewhere will break that trend...

Untill then it's a grinding slow half rewarding treadmill..... i only wanna play the core element of the game.... pvp but untill i reach near cap my non rare weps dont cut it.... and believe me i have tried to i really have :p

Itth
08-09-03, 15:09
yesterday i walked from nc gates to a cave, took me 30 minutes.

i got there, yeah, killing slimeworms is my idea of fun :rolleyes:

imo mobs need to be ALOT harder more hp/resist and do more dmg but gives a heckload more of exp and loot.

i mean 50% of leveling is finding a new mob to kill

Nullifidian
08-09-03, 15:16
Originally posted by Itth
yesterday i walked from nc gates to a cave, took me 30 minutes.

i got there, yeah, killing slimeworms is my idea of fun :rolleyes:

imo mobs need to be ALOT harder more hp/resist and do more dmg but gives a heckload more of exp and loot.

i mean 50% of leveling is finding a new mob to kill

Jesus Christ, how fucking narrow minded.

Increasing the damage they do won't increase the difficulty at all. Mobs don't require any strategy to kill, ffs. All you do is have a PPU on your ass and spam the fucker with as much damage as fast as you can. There's no AI, so all mobs act the same. Any strategy that might even exist at all becomes before you even fight it, in choosing resists and armor.

Increases armor, resists, and damage of mobs is NOT I repeat NOT the correct way to make them tougher. All it does is make more people even more pissed off. It won't do anything positive for the power levelers and hardcore players; they'll still kill the just as easily with their pocket PPU monks. Meanwhile the population of people who are sick of dieing to very stupid mobs very quickly is going to increase.

The way you make mobs tougher is by improving the AI. I'm talking total revamp, because as it is, a retarded cinderblock with missing chromosomes is more intelligent.

BlackDove
08-09-03, 15:29
BDragon HQ = fun :)

KimmyG
08-09-03, 15:34
@ GR's a little annoying but hey I think overall its an imporovement.

@ rares got 38 last night in period of a few hours

@exping my friend nearly has capped his PE in 3 days

Omni X
08-09-03, 16:37

I never understood why developers even bothered to do this so late in the game(not just here). The powerlevelers have ALREADY powerleveled to the top, so the only effect these changes will have on their original char is to make them even more uber than they were, since it's now tougher for anyone else to match them. Besides, if they want to level another char, things like this are only a minor hinderance to the powerleveler, since they WILL powerlevel. They will just find different ways to do it.

On the otherhand, the casual player base is now screwed because these changes slow their already slow progress level to a crawl. Thus they get frustrated and leave an already low population game.

KK needs to remember, that the new players are part their future and they should be doing EVERYTHING they can, to make them want to stay.

On top of all this, who cares if it's easy to max out. This game is about PvP, not leveling. I'd rather see people get to max level fast, so the PvP is fair/even and tough, as opposed to seeing the gankfests, by high lvls on low levels, some other games offer.

Jaggeh
08-09-03, 16:56
as is i started a new character on pluto 2 weeks ago, a droner

now has base 79 dex, 79 int

i have SS and SF and moto3, and all i can say is, no matter what droning is easy peasy

if your afraid to go outside the city on foot get a chainbike, i put a few points (12 afaik) into vhc and can drive it

oh no i lost 2 points off RMC, thats like 1.5% onto damage

but its worh the ability to travel.

Itth
08-09-03, 17:34
Originally posted by Nullifidian
Jesus Christ, how fucking narrow minded.

Increasing the damage they do won't increase the difficulty at all. Mobs don't require any strategy to kill, ffs. All you do is have a PPU on your ass and spam the fucker with as much damage as fast as you can. There's no AI, so all mobs act the same. Any strategy that might even exist at all becomes before you even fight it, in choosing resists and armor.

Increases armor, resists, and damage of mobs is NOT I repeat NOT the correct way to make them tougher. All it does is make more people even more pissed off. It won't do anything positive for the power levelers and hardcore players; they'll still kill the just as easily with their pocket PPU monks. Meanwhile the population of people who are sick of dieing to very stupid mobs very quickly is going to increase.

The way you make mobs tougher is by improving the AI. I'm talking total revamp, because as it is, a retarded cinderblock with missing chromosomes is more intelligent.

watch me solo 3x 100/100 flappers on my 200 hp spy and tel me theres no strategy.

and a total revamp of AI, sure im up for it, but its not likely to happen.

Scikar
08-09-03, 17:44
It's pretty much only PEs that have problems with vhc (though my rifle PE isn't hurt by being able to drive a hovertec). There's certainly a great many tanks who can drive jeeps, and a few monks too, not to mention the odd driver spy. Don't you have any friends who can drive you around?

I don't really see anything new about Chasers. They were once fairly easy until all high level mobs got boosted, since then I haven't seen much of a change. While capping my tank's strength I had no problem soloing them using a little bit of cover (took about 5 healing periods to kill one but I didn't heal fully).

And regarding LoMs, the exp loss needs to be kept in to stop people lomming hack for an OP hack then going back to pure weapon lore. But the SI is pointless and unnecessary.

Nullifidian
08-09-03, 21:47
Originally posted by Itth
watch me solo 3x 100/100 flappers on my 200 hp spy and tel me theres no strategy.

and a total revamp of AI, sure im up for it, but its not likely to happen.

Given something to duck behind, as long as I don't get killed in one hit, I can kill any mob in the game with any character with a ranged weapon.

Eledhbrant
08-09-03, 22:36
Originally posted by Scikar
It's pretty much only PEs that have problems with vhc (though my rifle PE isn't hurt by being able to drive a hovertec). There's certainly a great many tanks who can drive jeeps, and a few monks too, not to mention the odd driver spy. Don't you have any friends who can drive you around?

My PPU drives a Rhino and an APC :D

Darth Slayer
08-09-03, 23:19
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Not at all, my PPU Made Base PSI 95 in 5 days last week.
Stopped leveling on the weekend :)
:lol: Heh was that when we 'ahem' raided the BlackDragon HQ.........:D Never had so much fun and not one BD showed up to stop us ganking all the guards and Workers in there.
New GR's are definatly needed and was part of the plan when the new GR changes where made but for some reason they did not place the new GR's, A GR at the race track would be cool and fixing the GR at EL Farid would be nice too.

Wyked
08-09-03, 23:32
if your playing on pluto i can pull taxi service for affluent runners ;)

mdares
08-09-03, 23:45
Lvling aint that bad at all; just know wut your doing; got my PE to cap in 4 days (except con :( ) but that was because i didnt have a ppu with me until the last day :)

@ mobs in general: They need to up the AI, then balance it by SLIGHTLY toning down the dmg...

@ rares: drop rates from the standard tech mobs are crap; but there is a way to get good amounts of techs

@ traveling: Just tag the main GRs and the few grs that are NOT at ops: i.e. TH, TG, MB, PR, El Farid, a few others. (hell i got TG gr on my CA spy a few weeks ago via LE and running); also running isnt that bad; once u tag TH, getting anywhere is cake cuz TH is the center of the map.

Shakari
08-09-03, 23:57
Originally posted by KimmyG
@ GR's a little annoying but hey I think overall its an imporovement.

@ rares got 38 last night in period of a few hours

@exping my friend nearly has capped his PE in 3 days

1: NOT AN IMPROVEMENT

2: