PDA

View Full Version : Um... why do you want a high post count?

VetteroX
08-09-03, 04:29
Every other thread I see, theres someone who just posts a smiley or something worthless, and a mod says "dont do that" Obveously people want a super high post count..... why? Im going to indirectly insult some people im freinds with here... no offence, but to me if u have a super high post count it means you have WAY too much free time... and not only that, not using your free time well. I mean, wouldnt you rather play NC then have 5000 posts? All having a super high post count proves is you have NOTHING better to do, not even doing something more fun in your free time. Someone plz explain this to me....

Marine
08-09-03, 04:32
Sorry, but having 1000 post's suggest the exact same thing as 5000. :rolleyes:

Marine

QuantumDelta
08-09-03, 04:33
Meh, don't really care much o_O
Not about post count, aynways. :P

Edit;

Marine - There's nothing wrong with Vet's Post average.
(2.79 posts per day)

:P
Meanwhile, I don't even wanna look at mine........

ZoneVortex
08-09-03, 04:34
well...

i can't see it from that point of view....

i see it as not so much that maybe someone wants to have a high post count as much as it is that they have a lot to say on the forums?

i know that doesn't really work with those people who just post like "+1" or a smiley or some random comment, but yeah.

Marine
08-09-03, 04:39
I am not saying you have no life QD :) I am just pointing out the irony (IMO) of him saying "5000 post count suggest you have too much time on your hands." when he has over 1000.

Marine

Shujin
i post alot but most of the time short replies or pissed off replies to helen or somethin like that ( i was at 600 yesterday morning )

VetteroX
well, QD for example says a lot... but I dunno about some of the others. How do u do it anyway QD? 2 computers and psot during si? work lets u use internet? If i had a job like i had a few summers ago and just sat on the computer all day long, id be at like 5k or 6k i think.

@marine that makes no sense... so 1000 = 5000? its less the THREE a day.. wow, 10 mins a day on the forums = no life. yeah.... a grenade explode too near to your head there?

Shujin
08-09-03, 04:40
Originally posted by VetteroX

@marine that makes no sense... so 1000 = 5000? yeah.... a grenade explode too near to your head there?

yea that dont really make to much sense o.0 is there even anyone up to 5000?

Marine
08-09-03, 04:41
No grenades. Artillery maybe :) I dunno, 1000 seems like a ton, well..so does 5000.

Shujin..look at QD's..over 5000 and in this very thread.

AfterDark
08-09-03, 04:50
Powerposting is pointless.

Instead of making five shitty posts people should make one good post.

Richard Slade
08-09-03, 05:01
Originally posted by AfterDark
Powerposting is pointless.

Instead of making five shitty posts people should make one good post.

With that you're saying what?
U got four more posts here that we can look forward to?
:D :D

Beefheart
08-09-03, 05:11
I think most people don't give a crap about post counts. Some people view it as some kind of medal though, or a yardstick to measure how involved or how much they care about the "community".

As the old saying goes though, quality is better then quantity

Pill
08-09-03, 05:14
i use my postcount as a clock, rather than my date registered.

Dream
08-09-03, 05:19
I know people that got a really high post count because they went to college for about 6 hours a day, being on a computer the entire time and usually able to have the forum up in the background, and then worked nights...same story there, had a computer to use the entire time, therefore allowing them to use the forum.

If you have 12+ hours a day tied up in school/work, and alot of that time you just simply need to pass the time, chatting on the forum does the trick. I believe some people get high post counts because of this, I know one person that did.

Pwnage
08-09-03, 05:36
+1

hahahha

Seriously though, I see what you're saying. Posting REALLY short stupid and useless messages to have a high post count is just lame and stupid.

I guess people think higher post count = more respect on board.

I've seen it on too many message boards where nubs get to like 5000 posts in a couple of weeks, then everyone thinks they are so wise in the way of (whatever board they are on) and eventualy they become moderator cuz of that infinate wisdom that comes from having 5000 posts. It's stupid.

People should only post when they actualy have something to say.

Psychoninja
08-09-03, 05:37
To me postcounts just show how active you are in forums discussions. The only thing I use postcounts for is to determine how many times a person has actively debated/bitched/discussed on the forums, thats it. I hate it when people use it as a status symbols, low post count = u r teh sux/high post count = i r teh winnar. Same thing goes for age btw :rolleyes: but thats another story. Dream has a point, I've posted on other forums where people have insanely high postcounts, and they were primarily people who worked in offices or went to college.

EDIT

@pwnage

so true :)
Yeah people should only post when they have something half ass decent to say, why do you think I hardly have 2k after a year :p
sometimes when i'm about to reply to a topic I end up deleting what I'm about to say beacause a) the idea has already been stressed through out the topic b) Halfway through writing my reply I realise I have no case in the debate and if I would reply I would look like an idiot c) It's too late in the night and I realize i'm just mumbling off posting crap. :p

*waits for eggs to spam topic...*

Shujin
08-09-03, 05:50
qd dont count ;P he comments on like 98% of every thread ;P even on german forums ;D like ":p " or" :wtf: " ;] jk he dont do that ;P but he does on newbie forum, hes on that like a bee on somethin a bee wants ;o

KidWithStick
08-09-03, 05:51
Stop spamming the forums. Let me email you a copy of the forum rules.

--Garm

Opiate
08-09-03, 09:37
I read these forums a lot (well, not that much anymore as I used to), but it's always while I'm working. I hardly ever post when I'm at home. Having a high postcount was never a goal, but I do have opinions about just about everything and I'm more than happy to share those.

For me, a person doesn't have to have a high postcount, or a register date from 2001, to have an opinion that matters. There are ppl with high postcounts that spam a lot, there are ppl with reg dates from 2001 that have never played this game. I know a lot of ppl with very low postcounts and register dates of this year, who's opinions I find far more valuable. I judge my opinion of people on previous posts that I've read, not on a single number by their avatar.

BlackDove
08-09-03, 09:48
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Meh, don't really care much o_O
Not about post count, aynways. :P

Oh yeah. I believe you. Not.

When question of opinion - post counts serve a purpose, it's just that the brain-deads use it as a "My postcount is bigger than yours - never question me". It does however show experience taken on the boards. What kind of experience? Research has to be done on an individual to find out.

I voted no (in the poll above) - just because I have a low post count in comparison to the others (I was given the opportunity), as I'm sure as did half of the other people.

Omnituens
08-09-03, 10:59
Originally posted by Psychoninja
To me postcounts just show how active you are in forums discussions

now that depends on the person.

there are 3 types of posts.

Tactic 1. Pure Spam (smiley, single word, quote + single word etc [you know who im taking about])

Tactic 2. Spam that looks like it is on topic, but when you actually read it, it's actually spam.

Tactic 3. Constructive posting.

most posters with over 1000 posts are constructive posters with a bit of spam.

but when u reach 6000+ posts and 30+ a day, you know your dealing with someone who does spam tactic 1 and 2, and does hardly 3.
However, there are some ppl who use tactics 1 and 2 but dont have 'high' post count (im looking at you , nonamebrandegggs :D)

sorry if this doent make sense, not slept for a while. If it doesnt make sense, class this as tactic 2 posting :lol:

Shadow Dancer
08-09-03, 11:02
Originally posted by Omnituens

Tactic 1. Pure Spam (smiley,

You mean like you and your super huge red anger smiley?

Originally posted by Omnituens

Tactic 2. Spam that looks like it is on topic, but when you actually read it, it's actually spam.

Yup I hate that one.

Richard Slade
08-09-03, 11:17
While we're at the subject of shadow here and spam.
the movie is THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN
Gimme my cookie damnit

leethasbro
08-09-03, 11:22
I have a medical condition. I can't make myself shut up. This usually results in high postcounts. Not that my postcount here is particularly high.

Shadow Dancer
08-09-03, 11:27
Originally posted by Richard Slade
While we're at the subject of shadow here and spam.
the movie is THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN
Gimme my cookie damnit

I don't spam. That's why I switched to this account because so many people seem to get sexually frustrated over my high post count. :rolleyes:

Anyways you are correct, here's a cookie for you. :p

flyjedi
08-09-03, 11:32
Originally posted by Marine
Sorry, but having 1000 post's suggest the exact same thing as 5000. :rolleyes:

Marine

lol good call

Lethal Virus
08-09-03, 13:28
Originally posted by Shujin
yea that dont really make to much sense o.0 is there even anyone up to 5000?

QuantimDelta

LTA
08-09-03, 13:32
Mine isnt that high but i post a fair bit mainly cuz of a few reasons :

I am loming
I am idling in the plaza waiting for something to happen
I am waiting in the plaza for a tradeskiller of some form or another
I am waiting for si to go
I am waiting for ppl i am hunting with to turn up
I am lying dead awaiting a res

I do prefer playing nc, but kk like making it hard to play for more than a certain amount of times, it would be great if i could log and play solid till i had to log off but many things prevent that.

Ste-X
08-09-03, 13:36
no one cares

QuantumDelta
08-09-03, 13:58
LTAs list ;)

Also bare in mind that my university course is basically computer programming and has a great deal of it's required resources on the web.
Even when I'm doing work, I'm online.

As for IRL Social life, I got told by my tutors, to put it on hold while on the course, and, they are quite right, even Neocron taxes my university course time and I can put NC down any time I like, unlike friends/gfs/family.

I still go out'n'shit but it's reserved, pretty exclusively to thursdays and saturdays (..thursday = 2 for 1 on drinks for our city's bars) :p

Meh, even then my friends aren't always organised/ready to go, so we don't always go.

No biggie... - I do have a lot to say, but I also browse the forums very efficiently...
Go to the index page (with all forums on).
Open all the yellow lightbulbed forums that you have an interest in with a right click "open new window" then open every thread that you have an interest in the same way.
Read, write reply if you want to, or close the window, continue on with the next one.
Depending on the reply length I can read this whole forums' new posts in about the space of 15 minutes.
Not bad when you think it has over 13000 members :p

Lethal Virus
08-09-03, 14:13
We need a high post count because it makes us uber powerful forum power posters! Yea thats it :p

Original monk
08-09-03, 14:17
And this thread is usefull for ?

(-> this message is spam to up my count)

Omnituens
08-09-03, 15:17
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
You mean like you and your super huge red anger smiley?

1) i never said I didnt use tactic 1. Plus i only ever used that without any words ONCE

2) the way you phrased than sounds like you think i was targeting just you with the 'tactic 1' statement.

3) dont make be post that smiley at you :lol: