PDA

View Full Version : RolePlaying in Neocron - what's your definition?

Opiate
07-09-03, 12:09
I must admit, I have no clue anymore what is, and what is not roleplaying. People say you need items to roleplay and I get confused.

So, I was hoping ppl could enlighten me, and give me their view of what is RolePlaying in the Neocron environment. Add some examples of what's considered good roleplay, and perhaps some of what isn't considered roleplay.

Maybe I can get some answers to these questions:
-Is killing all enemy faction runners considered roleplay?
-Is hunting together with a faction enemy good roleplay?
-Is it neccessary to comment all non-roleplay chat with "ooc:"?
-Is using abbreviations allowed?
-Why are the dynamic objects and Chez dishes so important for roleplay?
-Do you always have to be nice to everyone if you want to roleplay?

Breschau
07-09-03, 12:16
To me it's picking a personality for your character, motives and goals, allegiances, etc. Then sticking to them. That's pretty much all there is to it. Helps if your choices are appropriate to the world/story of course.

In my books it doesn't count if you only roleplay when it's appropriate to you (bloodthirsty berserker killer.. who then has a pleasant chat in plaza 1 for half an hour doesn't sit well with me).

And I've never quite understood why having dinner at a restaurant appears to be considered the pinnacle of roleplaying.

Krll
07-09-03, 12:19
Originally posted by Opiate
Maybe I can get some answers to these questions:

If you are playing a combat/blood thirsty character, then sure. But if you are playing a pacifist character, you might simply shun enemy faction members rather than outright attacking them.

Not normally no, because you chose your faction for a good reason, and so should be bearing in mind what they tell you are enemies. Unless you have a damn good storyline reason that is... say maybe your a spy for the enemy faction or you're in-game (not IRL) brothers.

In a full on RP game, then ideally yes, to prevent confusion.

Sure, why not? We use abbreviations and slang names in real life all the time. :)

Props. A film or play would be no good without props.

Not if you're dealing with an enemy faction, since you are supposed to be hostile to them, just as long as they realise you are RPing and not just being an arse hole.

These are my answers anyway. Others may vary.

Originally posted by Breschau
And I've never quite understood why having dinner at a restaurant appears to be considered the pinnacle of roleplaying.

Ditto. Nor being able to go to the toilet or sleep either.

-Krll

MrBane
07-09-03, 12:23

No. That's considered generally, as wanton abuse of the fact that you can kill them without punishment.
A real Roleplayer would make exceptions, or even try to befriend a Hostile person. Unless of course, you were Roleplaying a psychopath hell bent on death and destruction.

Yes, but it's even better if, instead of just Teaming and going hunting, you work in some chat about each others Factions, and the hostility.. Make the two of you overcome the hostility between, not your Factions, but between yourselfs, that is instilled by your Factions beliefs.

It's the general manners to define the lines between RP and reality discussion, however often you can use: "OOC for five minutes".

Generally, it doesn't matter, RP how you would normally chat, but it always helps if you use full grammar and punctuation.

They aren't directly linked to Roleplay, but they are a way to enhance the Roleplay atmosphere, by giving you social interaction items which can be brought into play at say, a Dinner meeting, or in your apartment with a new set of tables and chairs desgined to allow you to have large convention type meetings.

No, but some people have a real issue grasping that a Roleplay can be a nasty person too.. In this situation, if you're going to be playing an evil character, the best thing I can recommend is saying:

OOC: To let you know, my character is an evil sonofabitch, so be prepared for it during our conversation.

However, this doesn't excuse the people that are simply dicks.

Again, another reason why using full grammar and whatnot can be helpful, because it adds more weight to your claim of RP'ing a bad guy if you're using something like..

"You're going to screw with me? I promise you it will be the last thing you ever do.."

As opposed to..

"KOS! KOS! KOS!!Ooneoneone!! "

:D

RP takes on many different forms, but most of the people that are Hostile Factions, totally misuse the RP term to allow them to kill everyone, that is not Roleplay.

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 12:33
Beautiful, beautiful...

but also roleplay is all about consequences...

if you infiltrate a clan or faction, then betray them, what the fuck are you doing complaining about their reaction?! (seen a couple threads about ppl that did betrayals and then complained about the reaction :rolleyes: )

if you befriend a runner of the enemy faction, be prepared for the reaction from your own faction runners... as well as be prepared for the reaction of the runner's faction... enemy factions don't generally hold well with fraternization.

oh, and I consider it well-deserved if you berate an enemy faction tradeskiller into working for you and he takes your items. *I* would if anyone tried that "work for me or you're KOS to my clan" bullshit.

just a couple things I been thinking on.

MrBane
07-09-03, 12:42
Very true Porker, I've seen it once before...

"Ress my stuff.."
"NO, you're TG.."
"Do it or you're KoS..."
"Okay.. Give me it.."
"You done yet?"
"Done what?"
"My gun.."
"What gun..?"
"The gun I gave you!"
"You didn't give me any gun.. Next!"
"H4X H4X KOS KOS KOS!! I'M GONNA GIT YO BANNED!"

Fucking peasants.

However, Roleplay, in its true form, is very much an art, and it takes a lot to be able to RP fluently, in diffferent guises and methods, and never stumble or trip.

The best example I can remember is this:

Someone in our Clan was stealing VC10's. Now, as far as we were concerned, this was just blatant internal theft, and it brought a lot of real life emotions into the game, because of the rift it was creating.

Eventually we found out who was doing it, confronted them, and they explained they were Roleplaying, as they were selling the VC10's to fund something. We gave them a bit of a lecture for not telling the Clan leaders in neutrality, on what she planned, as her spontaneous RP really shafted us up.

Now how many folk would have simply kicked them out the Clan and marked them KoS?

QuantumDelta
07-09-03, 12:47
Depends on who they are and how authentic I/The other SSC Admins believe their claim to be...

We, (The SSC) Have repeatedly tried RPing, but, generally, the best RP only ever comes from allies/allied factions, since, for the most part, our enemies end up incapable of handling complex/rule driven situations.

I can think of one exception to that....
Sigh.

Syntax-Error
07-09-03, 12:58
hehe. how i remember that eh bane :P (no it wasnt me :wtf: )

Anyhow. to me roleplaying is much like making lov... wait no.

Roleplay:

Roleplay is making a character. a alter ego. Someone who has a history. goals. reasons. someone who has a reason to do something not because the game lets you. but think of WHY you would be doing that. Your killing X faction because there red. but can you say WHY there red. think about it. hell think of a personal story for why your in you faction. Roleplay is Acting. think of it as a film. in a film there character isnt the real actors personality. its a fictional one. but its still just as deep. think it as another life that you can craft how you want. that to me. is RP.

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 13:09
Beautiful explantation, syntax...

Yeah, that's what I've been doing with my alterego in Pluto... Heavyporker in Pluto is ME with my personality, but being in that world, with a separate personal history, if that's the best way of it. I don't RP being another person, I AM myself, Rping my connections with NExT and my relations with others in the game...

I've been trying to really step outside of myself and be new personalities with some characters on saturn, but its a lot harder.

Kudos to all the RPers.

Hell-demon
07-09-03, 14:36
Dominion is ambiguous. He will gladly hand a med kit to an enemy wounded, but cross him and hell be pissed. Hes no stranger to danger and like killing hurlers.

He has a few enemies and allies and those he is neutral with. But his arch nemesis is one Janos Blake. Every time they meet it gets heated and the odd bullet can go astray.

He has political agendas too. He depises Tangent and some aspects of City Admin. And has some prejudice against psi monks. He also has keen psi senses and in rare cases precognitive powers.

In a large hunting pack Dominion is a supporter and medic. He can get hot headed and psychotic when a group have it in for someone, thus shooting first and NEVER asking questions later.

At times he is selfish and believes everyone has the ability to thrive and survive in even the harshest of places. He enjoys good meals and fine synthetic wines and raceing in his hover bike. He will galdly chat to a fellow runner on the streets and will TRY not to over step his bounds near the local authority figures.

So thats my character's personality. You can basically do anything with your characters personality. Even add mental illness' or slang into their speech.
:angel:

Scikar
07-09-03, 14:49
I do RP to an extent, I can explain why I kill people as syntax said, the whole reason I joined TG in the first place is because I was sick of the Reza propaganda messages and I wanted to be elected Presisdent instead of having to be Reza's chosen successor. :p

But RP still has a loose definition. Those people who insist that it's only RP if you have a detailed background, and almost no action ingame should be taken without thinking first how your character would do it, as opposed to you yourself, are the very reason why people don't RP - they can't be bothered with taking things that far, they're not actors. I think RP can also be an extension of your own personality. That's how I RP, I basically transplant me into my avatar and everything he does is pretty much hwo I would do it. That way it doesn't take any thought, I just do it. Method acting at its purest I suppose. :p

Maybe if people weren't put off by the elitist attitude that some hardcore RPers take there wold be more RP, even if it was only limited. I also think that things could be done to encourage RP, if there was a bonus to how fast synaptic wore off in clubs and bars for example maybe there would be more people in there. It may not be hardcore RP but it's at least a more realistic meeting place than Plaza 1.

Helen Angilley
07-09-03, 15:36
Pretty much what MrBane said, with one exception:

Being a member of a Faction doesn't neccesarily mean you have their idelogy and goals _down to the very last detail_.

There's a difference between faction enemies and personal enemies.

HellHound
07-09-03, 15:39
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Being a member of a Faction doesn't neccesarily mean you have their idelogy and goals _down to the very last detail_.

I serve City Admin. I execute any TG I come across. :cool:
I am a Crahn monk. I will sabotage CA's efforts however I can. :cool:

I work for BioTech. Tangent are.. er... a rival company, so I shall murder their employees at every turn, even in front of 50 witnesses..... o_O

Helen Angilley
07-09-03, 15:47
Originally posted by HellHound
I work for BioTech. Tangent are.. er... a rival company, so I shall murder their employees at every turn, even in front of 50 witnesses..... o_O

I'd be alright if that was done to every Tangent the person come across...

Although if it was like that utter twat I mentioned a while ago (ie He would quite happily kill my 0/7 Crahn Monk...but didn't touch that 53/60 Crahn Tank. Hmmm.....).

Likewise, the "psycopath" isn't really an excuse...

All the "maniacs" in this game kill everyone....

Except their constructers...

Except their researchers....

Except their clans....

Except those ranked higher than them...

And so on...

Opiate
07-09-03, 16:00
Ok, back on subject plz, tnx ;)

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:05
rp cant happen in a pvp orentated game

the factions in neocron just show who you should not fight because of sl because of the factions, but there messed up in this game to many netural factions

the only rpg about neocron is sorting your skills out imho

Syntax-Error
07-09-03, 16:07
i dont disregard RP no matter how little it is. but what i hate are people who kill lvl 0/2 runners and claim its RP. but then will happly leave sumone of there rank or higher alone.

Those who dont want to/cant put the time in for a full background and character profile. sure by all means RP as much as you can/want too. but as with most things in life. you get out what you put in.

Syntax-Error
07-09-03, 16:09
Originally posted by Ste-X

the factions in neocron just show who you should not fight because of sl because of the factions, but there messed up in this game to many netural factions

the only rpg about neocron is sorting your skills out imho

Shows your not putting the effort in. RP is BIG in FA alone on pluto and i know other factions that RP... who said NC is PvP game. you show me one place it says "Neocron a massivly multiplayer Play Versus player game" and ill belive you.

[Watch the double posts please - Gungnir]

Rith
07-09-03, 16:17

It can happen - but not when a significant of the player base lacks the desire or mental agility to make it happen.

It only takes a minority to fuck up the RPG elements of a game like this. With neocron there's probably a fairly significant percentage of the player base who think that RP is killing people who are faction enemies.

RP - Role Play - defintion is pretty simply:

1. Define a Role, my role is usually that of Rith, Clan Leader for 101st, founding member of the CMA council and Faction chairman for City Mercs. Rith needs to balance most of his own personal desires with whats best for his faction, the CMA and his clan.

2. Play your role - the above definition defines how I play neocron. There are times when I don't randomly go off and twat people, because its not something my character would do.

Consistently playing within the values and constraints of the role you've given yourself is Role Playing.

Doing anything you want, anywhere, for any reason, with no consistency is _NOT_ roleplaying an anarchist or psycho or whatever. Its simply not RP. I wish some of the useless cretins who carry that arguement would spend 5 minutes to put a bit of thought into whatever anarchistic role they wish to play and then show some consistency. (e.g. don't turn up in plaza 1 looking for pokes, an anarchist would consider that a sign of weakness and would rather chew of his leg etc).

R

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:18
you can tell this game ant made for role play

no gm events or anything factions dont really mean alot (epics)

i did not start playing neocron because it was great for rping, better pvp system than other rpg games

id rather have better op fights than worry about what faction is doing stuff

gm events are fun (non mob spawning) but there is no interaction , npcs v npcs = not rp

ezza
07-09-03, 16:19

if your playing a harcore fanatic of your faction then sure, they are your enemy for a reason, if you know and understand the reason as to why they are enemy then i dont see why it wouldnt be roleplay

imo no there your enemy for a good reason, unless there is a good RP reason(i.e. surrounded by a hurd of randy droms so you have to work togeather to see them off;))

nope

sure, i mean a blackdragon member is unlikely to pronounce all his words correctly, he was raised on the street not in a expensive school with a silver spoon.

like someone else said its like props in a movie, they help propel roleplay

no way, im not going to open a door for my enemy(unless it was to stick my CS in his face:eek: )to let him though.

if you play a nice person then ok be nice, but if you dont then of course you aint gonna be nice to everyone, if you dont like someone why would you be nice to them, your roleplay should be telling you that you dont like this guy, so im gonna tell him to fuck off

id like to see a nice roleplayer still be nice after they have just been killed sexed and set fire to:p

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:21
tbh rith i think that when clans form alliances ect thats the best role play , faction stuff dont work though for me

cma is possibly the best alliance on saturn and maybe for other servers

its a shame some factions dont play since they dont attract pvp members ect

DRE - who plays them? no one

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:21
tbh rith i think that when clans form alliances ect thats the best role play , faction stuff dont work though for me

cma is possibly the best alliance on saturn and maybe for other servers

its a shame some factions dont play since they dont attract pvp members ect

DRE - who plays them? no one

ezza
07-09-03, 16:23
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
i dont disregard RP no matter how little it is. but what i hate are people who kill lvl 0/2 runners and claim its RP. but then will happly leave sumone of there rank or higher alone.

yeah, if your going to kill the little ones in the faction you should kill there high levels, they are the ones who are a threat to your faction and position after all.

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:24
btw did cma like the mb raid last night ;-)

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:24
2 posts bug

Helen Angilley
07-09-03, 16:28
you can tell this game ant made for role play

no gm events or anything factions dont really mean alot (epics)

i did not start playing neocron because it was great for rping, better pvp system than other rpg games

id rather have better op fights than worry about what faction is doing stuff

gm events are fun (non mob spawning) but there is no interaction , npcs v npcs = not rp

Whenever GMs make an Event, you get people come along and fuck it up completely or they just find any old thing about the Eeent to moan about.

Oh, and no interaction? You _really_ should get your head out your arse for one moment and start paying attention.

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:32
the gms have a story the old point red event TG had to win, even if they started the loose more tgs were spawned so they would win

[ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ]

Helen Angilley
07-09-03, 16:37
the gms have a story the old point red event TG had to win, even if they started the loose more tgs were spawned so they would win

Runners can use the GR system to come back to life, therefore so can these TG guards. Simple explanation.

Likewise, Live Runs you twit, maybe you should read up on them.

It's also been made _very clear_ that Runners will only be able to effect the story short-term (You try managing four seperate stories in a MMORPG with only a handful of staff), not long-term (The DOY raid on MB is an example of this).

Finally, if you expect everything in Roleplay to be handed to you on a plate then you are very, VERY wrong (Not to mention lazy and rather ignorant).

ezza
07-09-03, 16:39

[ edited ]

yeah it was basically made so TG would win, and that the players had nothing to fight for really, cos the City factions couldnt win, and the TG fation would only have the place for a short whiel before it went back to normal.

now if it had ment something for the City folk to win then they would of put up more of a fight(though the SL lose and belt hacking was fucked up with that event)

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:41
i dont roleplay .

Helen Angilley
07-09-03, 16:42
i dont roleplay .

Then don't whinge and moan about the game "not being built" for Roleplay (Your words, not mine).

enablerbr
07-09-03, 16:46
i dont roleplay .

now there lies the problem of RP in neocron. Ste-X is not alone in NC, who simply don't want to or not interested in RP. theres only maybe a hand full of current player base who do want to RP.

only way round this situation is to have a non RP and RP servers. on the RP servers enforced RP rules of conduct. which would mean constant monitoring.

though this method will never happen to NC.

KimmyG
07-09-03, 16:48
Originally posted by enablerbr
though this method will never happen to NC.

NO NO it would not nor would it happen anywhere. Besides RP is for losers.

Ste-X
07-09-03, 16:49
i dont roleplay in the sense of chating in the neocron cafes maybe other people like to do thinks like that, people who faction roleplay i know a few people on saturn tg who do thats fine, i think thinks like the cma are better role play a few clans geting together to sort things out

the factions in neocron are shit , the only point in factions are "Live Runs" where you just do a epic to get a weapon armour implant then fuck off there is no point to being in that faction because of there live run, yes its something to do but i dont think its role play yes it says about the faction but some factions are unused they should be deleted

ill make a bet the end to the story of neocron is

tg wins

enablerbr
07-09-03, 16:55
Originally posted by KimmyG
....... Besides RP is for losers.

so your tax returns aren't works of fiction.:p

i've not RP'd in NC. sept maybe as far as calling TG rebal scum.
though if i found myself in a situation where those around me were RPing. then i'd try to fit in with what was happening. as apposed to just being an arsehole to them.

Nidhogg
07-09-03, 17:00
the only point in factions are "Live Runs" where you just do a epic to get a weapon armour implant... Don't confuse "Live Runs" with "Epic Runs". Since you don't role-play you will never be able to do a "Live Run". o_O

N

Ste-X
07-09-03, 17:01
explain a live run please some one

Shadow Dancer
07-09-03, 17:02
I roleplay an 1337 pker!

KimmyG
07-09-03, 17:02
Originally posted by Nidhogg
Don't confuse "Live Runs" with "Epic Runs". Since you don't role-play you will never be able to do a "Live Run". o_O

N

If there is a cool reward I will Roleplay like a mad bastered

Nidhogg
07-09-03, 17:03
If there is a cool reward I will Roleplay like a mad bastered That is so utterly not the point. There is a live run discussion thread stuck at the top of this forum for more details.

N

Ste-X
07-09-03, 17:09
so its a group mission

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 18:00
Yes, and from all accounts they rock like the beatles! :D (never listened to them, but it sounded appropriate)

Lexxuk
07-09-03, 18:54
I role play a sex mad monk (used to be a sex mad PE) cept for the sex bit, coz I'm a monk now, so then I got the "monk's gotta be celibate thing" which is blergh.

I gave up on the "pokin, al level's except TG" thing ages ago, coz most of my mates went there (damn u!!!111), but I can RP the tangent thing, pretty easily, but only if ur able to offer coherent debate with someone who also can offer coherent debate..

"Ahh, Fallen Angel, you are the political mouthpiece of them murdering scum TG!"
"wtf? stfu dud3, j00 r t3h k0s!!!"

Kinda dont go down well. But if you can get into a long debate (in plaza 1 I did this, standing on the lamp post) it can actually be lots of fun.

The fact I'm not playing much atm is beside the point :p RP is what you make of it really :) Even if you are evil FA scum Opi :p

hivemind
07-09-03, 19:05
I don't RP being another person, I AM myself,
Then you're not Role-playing, which is:

role-play (rlpl)
v. role-·played, role-·play·ing, role-·plays
v. tr.
To assume or represent in a drama; act out: “Participants are encouraged to pass on leads about jobs... and to role-play interview situations with each other” (Hatfield MA Valley Advocate).

v. intr.
To assume or act out a particular role: “When I hire people I role-play with them... to see how they take pressure” (Peter Schrag).
That's from dictionary.com. (Not a dig Heavyporker, just trying to make a point.)

Being yourself is not a role. It's being yourself. It's actually the exact opposite of role-playing.

Role-playing is when your "character" acts differently from yourself. It takes effort and forethought, but can be great fun. It also requires some forethought initially in coming up with a "persona" for your character, which usually involves some background stories and concepts.

The problem really happens when you mix PvP with role-playing. Good RP usually involves some thought about how your character will react to a given situation. Unfortunately, even a tiny delay, long enough to hit /sms d is often enough to give your opponent the advantage in PvP, which is why it's so hard to pull it off well. The best RP characters in Neocron tend to be the least PvP oriented characters because of this.

Voice comms also destroy RP, unless your clan has decided to not RP among yourselves, and just RP with outsiders - which would be hard, I don't think anyone could pull it off. I know that, for myself, when I was playing my Twilight Guardian PE on Uranus, I often didn't log into our Teamspeak server, simply because it would be populated by members of Dirty Nickel Grinders, a Proto Clan (my other clan). Voice comms would also be great if a clan decided that they would stay in-character the whole time they were on Teamspeak, which is a virtual impossibility in my eyes. I mean, my gaming group can't even stay IC for more than half an hour when we're tabletopping, so doing it on the much less immersive Teamspeak is quite out of the question. The only time I've been able to stay IC for a LONG time is LARPing, and then only with a couple adventuring parties. But when it works, man... :D :D :D :D There's nothing like it...

Good roleplaying also requires a certain amount of maturity, which is in short supply in the Neocron community, and a good dose of self-esteem - which is also notably absent in males 15-25. Perversely, that is the demographic group that is the best FPS gamers, again putting the PvP community at odds with the RP community.

Anyway, I'm done rambling...

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 19:20
Well... yeah...

but Heavyporker on Pluto was my first char, right when I started around December... that early on, I wasn't even RPing, just being myself and finding out all bout the gorgeous world of Neocron...

It's only when I got into R & D that RPing became a serious part, and I took up the mantle of being a NExT employee seriously.

After so long, I can only be myself...

Syntax-Error
07-09-03, 19:40
Frankly its simple.. this game is a Role playing game. so those who dont roleplay miss out. simple as that.

NO NO it would not nor would it happen anywhere

Sorry ure talking bullshit AGAIN Ultima Online had this setup in a way, and i have seen MANY other RPGs setup like this.

VoWZaRiCK
07-09-03, 20:15
Roleplaying is just being in the game, and living the life your character lives in neocron, if that means you wanna eat in that life so be it, if you'd rather not, so be it...

RPing is just living the life in NC (and the ooc: might be handy if you refer to things like movies in real life or anything)

Shadow Walker
12-09-03, 16:25
It's good to see people as Syntax who have the same definition of RP than me and also think that you miss the core of a MMORPG when you don't Role play...

In fact I think neocron miss important things (LOT more events, RP objects, political situation update etc...) BUT I think it's player fault there is so litle Role Play. You don't need the REAL game masters to make events, to make Neocron livelly etc... GM could just be people a bit bored by leveling knowing very well the universe and that will try to enter in contact with different clan and faction to create a plot that will be related on forum later etc...

The problem is that PVp can't be set on/off easly and that there is too much counter strike brats, that prefer to pick on weak on neocron than play a game PVP base were there is little difference between the players like Planet Side...

Mhhh I can't wait for a new generation of MMORPg really RP based, with private quests, evoluting plot etc...

KimmyG
12-09-03, 16:37
RPer's are funny hardcore actors to the bone demanding realisim, wanting to go through the game like it is reality. Until some real asspect of the game effects them then all of a sudden its to the board to demand a change to make things less real or quite.

Syntax-Error
12-09-03, 16:51
[Edit] sorry mis read *Emarresed*

Anyhow.

DivineOne
12-09-03, 19:31
well of course sticking to the characteristics of ya faction, but when i role play i add actions into sentaces to better descipe my character as you would see in a TB chat

Smugly
13-09-03, 05:10
To my mind, Roleplaying has always been a case of taking on a role of a character with a place in the defined world. Whether this character is an expression of oneself, or a completely new personality is not entirely the issue. The character must stand alone as a person in the world as real as Lioon Reza, Hagen Jager or any other individual. A character who is successfully roleplaying leaves no doubt in the mind of the persons dealing with him that this person belongs in this world.

Unfortunately, roleplaying ceases to work as a result of far too many seperate reasons, already stated. I believe Quantam Delta once said ages ago that PVP and Roleplay don't truly work together because the former encourages a mentality that destroys the latter. It's too easy to see the enemy as a bunch of assholes, especially when they act like it as opposed to other characters with regards to the game world.

I always wanted to go TG personally. I like playing the underdog and would have enjoyed the role of fighting off the oppression of Reza's regime. But unfortunately, it seems to be to be mostly an excuse to get more people to shoot at, and that to me is a very sad state of affairs.

Shadow Walker
13-09-03, 11:12
I wanted to join TG or FA for a moment but I can say seeing New Dawn acting made me change my mind, just blind pking talking shit, sexing your corpse, no constructive action, I don't even want to take a faction who is ally to them. Is there any RPlayer wants to fight with the counter strike kids?

If the assholes of all factions want to "own" people let quick them to CS or Planet Side...

13-09-03, 13:37
Its nice to see so many come out on favour of RP - I'm also glad that people like Ste-X and KimmyG have posted (and lept it relatively civil) as it gives us an insight into _why_ Neocron has the current problem is has (IMO anyway)

As long as people percieve Neocron to be a PvP game (parphrased by Stex-X said "I play Neocron because I like the PvP interface") then it will continue to attract those that think its a PvP game - couple that with the lack of granular PvP control (for those that would like to to do PvP but dont want to get obliterated by much higher runners) and the biggest restriction to the LE (not being able to be in/form a clan - pretty important from an RP perspective) and you get where we are today

The problem alot of people have with RP is they dont think in terms of the game world they only think in terms of game mechanics. For example:

Where do new TG members come from? Well its likely that a good number of them are disgruntled city runners - but how would a disgruntled city runner manage to join TG when he is blown away by them on sight? How would TG propagander push an unhappy city runner over the edge when he has been chain-killed by them and when was the last time you saw a TG trying to 'educate' a city runner on the evils of Rezas rule when they are too busy cutting you down? Red != Dead unfotunately, even before you take rank into consideration.

Why are TG even in Neocron city? Ok I'll agree that a runners faction being displayed above their head isnt really good for RP, but a true RP TG would not stroll straight into Plaza and make a big fuss that hes TG ("Repair my stuff or you are KOS" - makes me laugh because outside a safe zone youre probably KOS anyway but I'll come back to this). TG players know they are safe in Plaza, and they know thats the most popular zone so thats why they go there. They dont stop for a minute and think "hang on, we're fugitives, maybe we shouldnt be hanging out in the heart of the Enemies city???"

Also the 'Psycho killer types' lack any consistancy (this is a personal pet hate of mine) they'll be wasting everything in site, except their RL friends, in game friends, clan mates, faction members, faction allies (maybe), clan allies and anyone who they need to Poke, repair, construct, research. More often than not this isnt a simple slip on their part (as the above Plaza argument might be - I can understand that RP TG _need_ to go to Plaza _because_ theres no reason to be anywhere else) its a deliberate act because the 'Psycho killer' argument is just some thin-RP justification for their wanton PK behaviour.

Non-RP players think only in terms of what the game mechanics lets them get away with, they dont think what impact and reaction their acts would have if there were really in the game world (and since its based on Human society, its quite easy to image what those effects would be). Sure the non safe zones are anarchistic but the safe zones represent a level of control much higher than we experience in modern western society. Just because the game doesnt bring the consequences of a non-safe zone action into a safe zone doent mean that those consequences would follow a runner into the city if the game world was a reality (a good example is the Angel gang in Judge Dredd - sure they can get away with crime outside the city, but you can bet your ass they be held accountable for all of it if they ever got captured inside the city!)

Style
13-09-03, 14:22
i totally agree with you KimmyG

Syntax-Error
13-09-03, 14:32
Well its easy too see there are changes that need to be made. but from what i hear from the grapevine aswell as from the horses mouth things are going to change for the better of RP and PvP. lets just hope there implamented better than certain other systems and changes ingame.

t0tt3
13-09-03, 16:05
Originally posted by MrBane

No. That's considered generally, as wanton abuse of the fact that you can kill them without punishment.
A real Roleplayer would make exceptions, or even try to befriend a Hostile person. Unless of course, you were Roleplaying a psychopath hell bent on death and destruction.

YES!!!! it is.....
Well real world isnt that the best way to reflect roleplay?
Well look at Iraq and USA "i know we cant talk about it bla bla bla" But aint USA kos by some ugly "faction"

So i will KoS ya and say hoohohohoho ROLEPLAY MURDURER!!!!

Helen Angilley
13-09-03, 16:10
RPer's are funny hardcore actors to the bone demanding realisim, wanting to go through the game like it is reality. Until some real asspect of the game effects them then all of a sudden its to the board to demand a change to make things less real or quite.

Much like those PK'ers who want harsher penalties for death and more stuff from their victims, but then bitch and moan when it effects them?

Style
13-09-03, 16:10
thats the wrong way to look at it to, there is people who go around who are addicted to drugs, have no job, and the only way to get money is to steal of others.

neocron had this system, i used to use drugs in neocron back in my day because i got my money from killing others and stealing their weapon.

and now the cycle in the real world which drives most of the crime, has been taking out of this game = turning it into a non-rp situation for people who liked to pk. its just full of ego maniacs, and no its not just the pkers who are ego maniacs its 'carebears' aswell.

Style
13-09-03, 16:12
ie helen, you no jack all about RP to say that, because what is the cycle of crime in neocron? kill someone and brag about it. NO!!
to afford drugs in this game you have to go about killing mobs being a good guy.

you should be able to afford drugs by taking the crime life off stealing of others where you cannot rp this.

if you wana go around killing and gain nothing but braggin rights you should go play a FPS, where as this is a MMORPG which should have CONTENT

Helen Angilley
13-09-03, 16:13
Originally posted by Style
ie helen, you no jack all about RP to say that, because what is the cycle of crime in neocron? kill someone and brag about it. NO!!
to afford drugs in this game you have to go about killing mobs being a good guy.

you should be able to afford drugs by taking the crime life off stealing of others where you cannot rp this.

If someone was that desperate for drugs I don't think they'd be in the right state of mind to be selective about who or what they target.

:rolleyes:

Style
13-09-03, 16:15
uh, and what is your point with that statement? your basically admittin that RPK is a RP thing. the person is messed up on drugs. instead of you going about discrminating people just because they pk just to grief.

ALSO what gives carebears like you the right to go about saying pkers are just griefers, no not just the odd bad apple, BUT ALL OF THEM. you got this thing in your mind that all rules to do with pk is bad.

its like me going around saying all the things in this game you like to rp with is bad. but i dont do that because im open minded.

Helen Angilley
13-09-03, 16:16
Originally posted by Style
uh, and what is your point with that statement? your basically admittin that RPK is a RP thing. the person is messed up on drugs. instead of you going about discrminating people just because they pk just to grief.

Hmm, no.

Go and read my posts.

Read it again.

Once more.

Then go away because you'll never understand it.

*Flick*

Style
13-09-03, 16:18
Hmm, no.

Go and read my posts.

Read it again.

Once more.

Then go away because you'll never understand it.

*Flick*

what?? is that suposed to mean?

my point is every personality, is a role. no matter how they play this game. you dont have to be ncie just to be a good rper, and just becaquse you are not nice, does not mean you are not a rper.

Syntax-Error
13-09-03, 16:37
Guys stop turning this into a personal flame war. and anyone i see use the word "carebear" as in insult seriously lose's all my respect totally so to me both of your arguments are void.

Style
13-09-03, 16:41
carebea in my eyes is not someone who likes to be nice, its someone who plays passive agresiveness trying to make people look bad, and is against pking altogether.

Syntax-Error
13-09-03, 16:48
I dont think u know helen very well then do you if you call her a carebear and mean that

13-09-03, 22:17
Didnt hae time to address some of the original points in my last post so I'll do it now

Can PK be RP?

Yes....to a degree. Certainly there will be times when your character (note not the player) will want/need to kill an enemy runner (and I suppose the Epic runs might be a good example of when your faction deems it necessary). But lets not make any mistake here there will also be times (recruitment, subterfuge etc) when blowing an enemy runner away will _not_ be the most intelligent thing the runner could do at the time.

Do you have to be polite to RP?

No, there will often be times (see above for 2 examples) when it would be advantageous to be civil to an non-allied runner. The biggest problem with this & Neocron is since everyone exects you to _not_ be in character, any negative reaction will likely have you labelled an asshole and be KOS etc etc. The immediate way to overcome this problem is to be 'nice' (actually this happens in all MMORPGs) or to play your character is such an obvious way that people immediately recognise your in character (this may not be the kind of character you actually want to play though)

Why do restaurants etc seem to be associated with RP?

Dont get me wrong they are not the be all and end all of RP, I think the reason they seem to come up so much is that they are about as far away from combat as you can get - and since RPers are eager to do more in Neocron than just kill stuff to try and add the missing dimensions of the game its usually the easiest way to eastablish an RP setting since your obviously not there to massacre people (if its in a safe zone anyway)

How do you use chat when in character?

Well Neocrons comms system make it a little more tricky than in some other games. As a general rule of thumb, anything I say on a public channel that isnt associated with a specific topic (help or dedicated OOC for example) will be in character. Direct tells, team & clan channels I tend to be out of character (usually too difficult to convey message and stay in character) and also specific public channels (such as help or trading channels) I will definately be out of character.

Styles - most of your points I addressed in my previous post - If you want to play the desparate drug addict thats great - however I suspect your character has pretty good weapons and armour and this immediately shows the flaw in your RP - I suspect you may argue that your character would need these to continue to 'steal' and fund the habit, however we all know that person possesions of value will be the _first_ things to go in order to fund a habit. Thus, while a commendable attempt to RP, your planning immediately falls short and thus could be taken as another thin veil to cover another random PK player (and having read your previous posts I suspect this is indeed the case)

Consistency is the key to RP

I dont know what it is with PvP/PK players who think they need some kind of 'excuse' to PvP/PK, the RPer see through it straight away (no consistency) and the other PK/PvPers dont really care - I wonder if you are just trying to justify your behaviour to yourselves rather than anyone else.

ben77890
14-09-03, 01:09
I play a pacafist broker type person whos relatives and parents work in tangent and biotech, protopharm etc

15-09-03, 18:53
If there is a cool reward I will Roleplay like a mad bastered

Its not my intention to single KimmyG out over this as I believe this attitude is prevalent among all those who dont RP.

Notice how people who Pk/PvP always seem to be asking for more reward (or that the loot is the reward)? See how RP usually carries no material reward? Now we look at the above quote and alot of things become clearer

While this (rewards) could be seen as a way to encourage more people to RP, I suspect KimmyG's definition of 'cool reward' is something that makes the owner more uber in PvP.....

cracky
16-09-03, 04:37
I think rping is just acting like your faction and having a general idea of how your character acts like people have said. I think setting in the restraunt "rping" is over doing it.

Also most people who say they rp and bitch at people for rping also do things that are very non rp like "epic kills". If they were always rping they would go do the kill themselves.

thewarrior008
16-09-03, 04:39
yes they would and sometimes they kill u and u are embarased lol :p