PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Fatal Errors & Syncronizing

Mankind
07-09-03, 05:24
I was wondering if anyone knew what these are actually related to. I have a friend who doesn't get much if any syncronizing and seldomly gets fatal errors. I on the other hand get alot of syncronizing when I switch maps, or log on, or log off.

The reason I ask this is because I recently found out that my cable modem was outdated (I'm using a cable modem meant for lower end systems whereas I should be using a newer and more efficient cable modem for my updated pc). My friend uses the same ISP as me and has a pretty similar system to me as well. The only difference is that he has a very new cable modem that gives him no problems at all. If the bugs have to do with connectivity, maybe some 56k users could give me some information on how their gameplay is. I guess I will find out if I get less errors Monday when I trade in my old cable modem.

QuantumDelta
07-09-03, 05:28
That does make a lot of sense, actually, well reasoned point too.

I rarely, if ever, get a "random synch".

I also, very rarely crash, now, typically, my ping is around 20-30ms, very recently, my ping has been all over the damn board, and my crashes have been, almost regular.

Uranus is being an arse atm (Heh), so generally, I'm crashing more, I don't know if it is related to the lag, but after this post, I consider it a strong possibility, now I think about it.

Whiety Bulger
07-09-03, 05:30
level 3 communications server in germany is be buggy atm.

Mankind
07-09-03, 15:48
Let's bump this.

I'm really interested in knowing if there's a direct connection between these things.

Helen Angilley
07-09-03, 15:50
56K Conexant SoftK56 Modem using Freeserve Anytime as my ISP.

Only ever get problems if the server itself goes nuts.

Lanigav
07-09-03, 15:57
I don't really think there is much of a connection.

I use standard 56K dialup and I get sync errors and crash frequently when I'm in the outworld (it especially happens whenever I accept an invitation to a team, which confuses me to all hell). However, when my friend came down from LA, I played it on his computer (which was quite a bit better than mine hardware wise, with the exception of the modem which was older than mine) with the exact same internet connection, and play was totally crash and sync error free. However, his other computer which has a different setup than the one I was using (it has even better hardware), but is on DSL, was getting sync errors all over the place.

There has to be some sort of connection that links this together, but I'm not sure this is it. If it is however, it should have to do with a specific brand or setup of modem, regardless of type or age.

REMUS
07-09-03, 15:57
im on 56k freeserve anytime too, i crash quite regularly, but it isnt consisntant, some times i can go 2-5 days without a fatal error or bumping me to the desktop, on a bad day i can crash every 15-30 mins :( my ping is useually about 200-250.

Pitspawn
07-09-03, 16:07
I never lagged out when i played and the only time i would get a fatal was maybe once a day at most from zoning.

On 1mbit NTL cable connection with tweaked net.ini

kurai
07-09-03, 17:55
'Net connection issues can certainly be *a* cause of problems, but they are far from the only reason for FRE's.

Heraclitus
07-09-03, 18:03
Well now this is something I've heard from other authorities (not realated to this game) and can't say for myself, so consider it an inquisitive speculation: Aren't most run-time errors cuased by buffer overflow? Aren't there same safety measures that can be implemented to prevent buffer overflows? Again, I know full well this is out of right field, just seeing if it rings a bell with anyone.

Cass
07-09-03, 19:54
I have always noticed that my CTD's are fewer when I do a deep defrag.

Mankind
09-09-03, 16:53
Okay.

Here's an update since I got my new cable modem yesterday.

NOT One fatal error
NOT One fail world
NOT One join proxy session error
NOT One disconnect from syncronizing

So therefore I am going to say that I think FRE's and numerous other bugs are very relative to internet connectivity and speed. I'm not saying those are the only things, but they must play an important role.

QuantumDelta
09-09-03, 16:55
Heh, one of the FREs is actually an error in one of the windows DLLs, nothin KK can do about it.
Fixed in win2k3 though.

Ahem... :p

but, yes, infact, most games bugs are due to ping :p

DonnyJepp
09-09-03, 17:00
Originally posted by Mankind
Okay.

Here's an update since I got my new cable modem yesterday.

NOT One fatal error
NOT One fail world
NOT One join proxy session error
NOT One disconnect from syncronizing

So therefore I am going to say that I think FRE's and numerous other bugs are very relative to internet connectivity and speed. I'm not saying those are the only things, but they must play an important role.

What make and model did you get? Anyone know a site that has cable modem reviews?

Mankind
09-09-03, 17:11
My ISP is RoadRunner.
My modem is the Motorola SB4200 SurfBoard.

QuantumDelta
09-09-03, 17:13
I'm on SB4100..heh, little bit dated, but effective...

Spy<VS>Spy
09-09-03, 17:24
Originally posted by Mankind
My ISP is RoadRunner.
My modem is the Motorola SB4200 SurfBoard.

i got the same model and survice, but i still crash...i dont snych out often. but zoning and of course sound related bugs seem to toss me out...i'll often crash on exiting the game.

neocron has three big problems with it.

1. Lag, its random, it shows no mercy and it will get ya.
2. Neocron hates allot of sound boards, you can update drivers all ya want...it just will randomly get ya.
3. Synching, zoning...what ever the reason, Hey i'm across the fucking atlantic ocean here, its not figgen rocket science when i'm switching world servers that things get busted up. if they plunked the pluto server in newyork or boston, you can be DAMN sure no german players would be skirting those zone lines and they would be bitching something awlful. my friends in california report bigger issues.

Mankind
09-09-03, 17:32
You're probably right Spy. The bugs will eventually once again get me :p But for now, I'll just enjoy my bug free Neocron and hope that things don't get worse.

:)

ExOmeCH
09-09-03, 20:28
I also have SB4100 Cableone.net and i get FRE constantly, and sync doesnt take longer than a sec or 2 unless its during day when its lagging like hell. I use xp and does anyone know a fix for memory maybe? i mixed a 256 sdr dimm p133 with a 128 sdr dimm p133 and ever since it restarts by itself, freezes up when i listen to music or watch videos after a while.

ReefSmoker
09-09-03, 20:37
Speak to any official from Reakktor and they'll tell you the bugs don't exist, that it is our systems at fault. I know that's totally incorrect because Neocron ran flawlessly for me until patch 182 arrived. Then it became awkward to play without crashing once every 2 hours.

If I am to believe what I've been told, then some bugs aren't fixable... *cough* I'm sorry but every bug is fixable, it's just that KK don't have a suitable person on the job. Sorry CoDi, I like you dude, it's Ulrich I'm taking a stab at - he's the one who told kk that the bugs couldn't be fixed, and then went on holiday for 6 months and left you with a shitpile of a codebase to try and fix. Best of luck with it CoDi, if it were me in your shoes I'd probably be enjoying the challenge, but I'd have punched Ulrich square in the jaw for telling an all-out lie saying that some bugs couldn't be fixed...

Take care,

ReefSmoker

Spy<VS>Spy
09-09-03, 20:39
Shhhh! shut up reef! snowcrash will hop onto this thread and flame you for being negitive, neocron is great dont you know that and pointing out otherwise doesnt do any good for the game...

its just wasted energy. where as, talking about how good the game is makes us more productive.

ReefSmoker
09-09-03, 20:47
Sorry Spy, I'll be quiet ! Just been feeling rebelious lately... I still love the game, I'm just no longer under any delusions about how KK run their show and no longer afraid to hide what I know, or more to the point, no longer afraid to hide my opinions of how poor a job they're doing ;)

Take care,

Reefie

Karlen V. Russo
09-09-03, 21:23
I have pretty much the same set up as Helen and I only suffer random syncs when my ping goes way up (700+).

I do however still have problems with FREs when I am looting mobs if I dont leave a bit of time between sorting items - especially when at the bunker etc.

As to a resolution of some of these long-standing bugs, as a web developer and a writer of net code - I know that some bugs, especially those that are of a connectivity nature and therefore are reasonably intermittent - are absolute b@stards to find and fix... and my guess is that if KK are working on DoY, then they are pushing along with that and sorting those bugs out later.

Kugero
09-09-03, 22:37
check your NIC drivers as well. Make sure your OS is running the latest vendor driver and not a generic OS one. Makes a huge difference sometimes in Layer 1-2 efficiency (physical & data). If your NIC is borked it could be passing trash up the OSI which might cause NC to choke occasionally on a bad packet or contributing to the 'lag' due to multiple resends with the game server.

People tend to over look that signifigant piece of hardware ...