PDA

View Full Version : Neo Versus Anarchy

Richard Slade
06-09-03, 18:19
I've been pondering this question for so long now I'm about to buy Anarchy Online just to get answers:
What's the good and bad stuff in neo vs. AO?
Anyone got some points to put out?:confused: :confused:

lullysing
06-09-03, 18:44
- Most of the classes are borked, one way or another. Check the classes's forums: most queries and imbalances/inability to level between X and Y/abilities borked are NEVER FIXED/REPLIED. Some of this shit has been there since i quit that fucking game in neocron BETA4.

- Funcom has gone into everquest mode of "get money, add more toys/dungeons for the high level crowd" (instead of trying to do a storyline)

- Rare spawns ( on timer) in dungeons are the only way to get some classes's most important equipment, some needed to be plain VIABLE.

- Good versus Evil lame ass script of evilcorporation versus clan rebels. ABSOLUTLY no fucking shades of grey as neutrals have been essentially told to choose a side and to generaly fuck off. I know, i was a dedicated neutral.

- Funcom does not give a shit.

- "Click button and go make a sandwich" fight controls.

- The GMs available for petitioning ( unless guardian level or higher) are fellow players that are getting 15$ a month for a minimum 20 hours a week CSR position. Sorry, but people should be PAID more than a free month for doing this shit.

- PVP is very lame, and very munchkinised.

- There is no way in hell you can solo monsters that are too powerful for your current level . You simply get eaten in 4 seconds. Forget about cover, guile, dodging : combat system is simply lame.

Richard Slade
06-09-03, 18:49
Well there's got to be some good sides on the other hand since people actually play it. ... Err... Right?

And could someone list the other big MMORPG's out there worth of being mentioned?

lullysing
06-09-03, 18:57
- The graphics are nice looking.
- A LOT of avatar customisations with faces, body types, buyable clothes, visible armors..
- Very big world. But the thing is, it's not easy to explore it when new monsters can smack you in 3 seconds ( thank you combat system)

That game has been on the market for a good 3 years now. Some classes are still useless ( pretty much ) at certain levels. To the point that they can't even LEVEL properly.

Oh, and did i mention that it's pretty much impossible to level by tradeskilling only?

Richard Slade
06-09-03, 19:02
So, in ur opinion, AO is just a cute baby with no arms or legs then?

lullysing
06-09-03, 19:10
People IN THE GAME complain that AO is just a fancy chat interface.

I left that game for neocron and looked back once. Then i checked the forums, saw it was just as bad as when i left, and concentrated to going back again.

Mattimeo
06-09-03, 19:19
my biggest problem with AO is that they never fully explain everything, I'm still tryign to figure some things out.

the bad points

-Imbalance
-bugs
-lack of story

the good points

-good weapons selection
-intresting skill system
-dual wielding pistols
-mission system with decent rewards
-instanced dungeon system for solo and teams

although when my freind quit I did too. I don't like playing games by myself.

Whiety Bulger
06-09-03, 19:25
Back when both NC and AO where in beta the two commuinitys where at war. We where constantly spamming eachothers forums with flames. I personally h8 AO and thinks it suks meh ballz and so does most of earlier Neocron community. Thats why when NC beta went public refuges from AO came flooding in to forums.

Rai Wong
06-09-03, 19:34
AO does have its good points, the most being the superior graphics, the story is lame but its not that bad.....neocron's story has been repeated like dozens of times too.

AO has

- Superior Graphics
- Large range of clothing, armor and stuff to customize your own character, even dresses and sunglasses, each armor shows up and changes your character. Many faces and hair styles to choose from
- Interesting land control system
- Huge range of classes to choose from, from doctor to engineer, the classes each have their own problems, but overall they balance out nicely
- Amazing World
- Flying vehicles
- and many more there are reasons why many play the game
- Many role playing elements with alot of emotes and good social interface
- Resonable combat system thats dynamic enough to keep you engaged ( admit it....neocron plays exatcly like an rpg liks there is an rpg system under it all along)

AO doesn't have

- Superb vehicles
- Such a detailed city
- Many unique dungeons in neocron
- a good tradeskill system like neocron
- cool weapons like rocket launchers and drones
- an effective shop system
- a interesting rare system
- superb pvp
- good talking animation
- rigid apartment system
- and many more too

its down to personal preference really. I would really like AO to have furnitures back again, I wonder has that changed yet?

KRIMINAL99
06-09-03, 20:16
DO NOT buy Anarchy online, unless you are just looking for a chatroom with avatars. The game absolutely sucks. All items in the game are exactly alike, most use the same pictures and effects and just have different number values. The game looks pretty cool but good graphics arent enough to make it fun. Pvp is pointless since all you do is just press q and wait out the battle (maybe using hlth items when you can). There is no tradeskill system despite the fact that it was supposed to have one. There are maybe like 5 max items that you can construct in the game that have any degree of usefullness (and you need characters with extreme tradeskill specialization to do them) There are different graphics for mobs and stuff.

Basically the game just gets old really really fast and the only thing that would keep someone playing it was if they had friends there they liked to chill with.

Alex Mars
06-09-03, 20:23
AO is fun, NC is fun. It is only the pathetic, inbred fanbois that flame either game. Some people need to get a life instead of giving religious devotion to a video game.

AO has a better "spell" system and more options for those that like using "magic".

AO has more classes and most of them work (some don't and of those that don't some haven't since launch, but most work).

AO has better graphics and a larger world to explore. AO cities are larger, NC cities have a bit more character.

AO has the better interface, for instance if you are selling an item you can drop it in the chat window and hit enter and the item name and stats are broadcast in the chat line.

NC uses shooter style mechanics which means you have to aim, I prefer this for using firearms in a game.

NC has ingame computers, email, forums, etc.

AO has flying vehicles, NC has vehicles that can carry passengers.

AO is the better PvM game, both have PvP as the end game.

AO has more players but the world is so big that it is sometimes hard to find them.

NC can be played on an older machine, AO requires a newer machine with lots of RAM.

Both have missions systems, both systems generate basic fetch and carry or kill missions. NC missions also offer construction and research missions (skill use missions). AO has team missions.

Both games have craft skill systems that DO NOT require endless button mashing/repetition to advance but instead allow you to kill monsters and spend experience.

Both games require player-crafters to get the top end equipment.

Both games have apartments: in AO you can decorate it but it is useless, in NC you can't decorate it but it is useful (storage, computer access, goguardian, etc).

Character advancement is fast in both games but AO has more levels to climb.

Neither game has a death penalty other than recovery time (unless you take your LE chip out in NC, then you can lose an item).

Both games are class based skill games, both games allow you to do anything but both games make it so a given class is good at some things and poor at others.

Both games have a derivative back story.

Neither game has space flight.

The games are quite similar, as you can see.

Beefheart
06-09-03, 20:26
Excellent post Alex

Helen Angilley
06-09-03, 20:34
Originally posted by Richard Slade
And could someone list the other big MMORPG's out there worth of being mentioned?

Eh, may as well.

EVE.

Good points:
Purdy, purdy graphics (The cute little trails behind some of the smaller ships are nifty. ^^;;).

No levelling treadmill. You don't have to use a skill, or even do anything to be honest, in order to be one a similar level with those who spend 24/7 on the server.

Player economy. Almost every part of the economy is player run, quite a memorable market crash a few weeks ago...some of the larger Corps kept under-cutting each other's prices leading to the market collapsing in on itself (When you can get a Battleship for five million ISK, you _know_ there's a problem).

Unrestricted PVP. While you have to be careful in some areas (The local police force, CONCORD, aren't going to be too happy if you start a fight near them, for example) you can engage in hostile acts anywhere, anytime. Better to do it in unregulated space though, 'lest you have the security forces coming down on you.

Diverse character creation/development. Tired of tradeskilling? Just learn a few combat skills! No need to delete your character, get rid of any of their items or what have you....just find the appropiate skill booklets and you can learn the neccesary skils to fight properly...you'll still have your tradeskills to fall back on as well, should combat (Or whatever really) doesn't take your fancy.

Storyline. A little more "up-front" than Neocron, the story is quite strong here......but it pales in comparison to what the players do in the Universe.

Bad points:
"I pwn j00" attitude. While a lot of the old Pirate/Griefing Corps are laughable these days (The Gang and m0o being prime examples), there are still twat-faces who keep prattling on about how "skilled" they are.

Slow start. The game's a little daunting at first, although the tutorial helps some, but get past the intial stages and you'll be fine (Just don't listen to that "All you do is mine111" shite that so many people hear cling onto in the hopes it'll mean something, a larger number of people have achieved total independence without touching a Mining laser).

Established Corporations. Just like most MMORPGs really, the Corps that were there at the start, and were able to survive the various mental, physical and economical wars, are incredibly powerful right now so making a group of your own, or even a reputation, is fairly difficult at this stage.

Subjective (ie All down to opinion):
Skill system. Click on a skill, leave it to train. Can take anywhere between fifteen minutes and fifteen days. You don't need to max things out to be effective, though.

Combat. Semi-real time affair. Engage in combat and you have to juggle weapon systems, tell your ship where to go (Orbit the enemy, move towards them....etc), keep an eye on shield levels...etc. Depends on your view of "tactical", really.

Community. Depends really, quite a contrast between the different types of people that play.

Game world. Depending on your play style, the game world can have plenty of pace for you to take...or just be annoyingly big (It's an entire galaxy for ferk's sake). Personally, I feel it's just right (Can go lay low in an area if things heat up in one system, for example).

Death system. You die, you lose everything...unless you;ve invested in a Clone and/or Insurance. Once you've got a steady cash flow, however, it's not as bad as it looks.

Alex Mars
06-09-03, 20:42
I tried EVE but I didn't care for the ship control system or the fact that I couldn't get a first person/nose cone view.

Other MMOGs?

I hear that if you are a hard core tradeskiller then SWG is the game for you. It has a lot of problems and bugs but everyone raves about the tradeskill system.

If you don't mind level treadmills DAoC is fun for a while.

If you like non-combat socializing and tradeskills try A Tale in the Desert. Learn to build the Pyramids.

If you want "serious" roleplaying go find a game called Underlight, it is a weird new-age fantasy 3D MMOG that has been around since before UO.

ServeX
06-09-03, 23:29
Originally posted by Alex Mars
I tried EVE but I didn't care for the ship control system or the fact that I couldn't get a first person/nose cone view.

Other MMOGs?

I hear that if you are a hard core tradeskiller then SWG is the game for you. It has a lot of problems and bugs but everyone raves about the tradeskill system.

If you don't mind level treadmills DAoC is fun for a while.

If you like non-combat socializing and tradeskills try A Tale in the Desert. Learn to build the Pyramids.

If you want "serious" roleplaying go find a game called Underlight, it is a weird new-age fantasy 3D MMOG that has been around since before UO.
SWG definitely has the best tradeskill system out of all the MMORPGs I've played.

Richard Slade
06-09-03, 23:30
Well what's ppls current opinion about UO right now??

Alex Mars
06-09-03, 23:44
UO is a great game in some ways, no other game lets you play so many different ways. It has a lot of elaboration and refinements in the game.

OTOH, it is dying off slowly from old age. Many of the servers are deserted and what players remain are in the majority old timers with topped out characters. A web search for UO guilds that are still active might help you, or check in at UO Stratics and see if they still have an active guild list.

If you can find a server that has people on it, and you can find some people to team up with you should have a great time.

If you want PvP action, there is the Siege Perilous server that is all out PvP all the time. It has (or had last time I checked) a pretty good community.

Richard Slade
06-09-03, 23:51
Hmm maybe someone could take the time to give a 5point +/- on most MMORPG's and also come up with what the best MMORPG at this day is?

KimmyG
07-09-03, 03:09
Here is all you need to know

AO < NEO

Ill help yea out even more

NEO > Everything else witht he eception of shadowbane wich is = in its own way.

ServeX
07-09-03, 04:27
I played Anarchy Online for well over a year. I played Neocron for around 9-10 months. In all, I found Neocron to be more enjoyable in the combat aspect and I think it had a better tradeskill system than Anarchy Online. However, as far as depth goes I find that Anarchy Online has much more depth to it.

Out of all the games I've played so far, the one which I've enjoyed most so far (Although I've only played a couple times in Beta stages 2-4 and near 3 weeks now in retail) would be SWG. It has an outstanding tradeskill system, it makes great use of turn based combat systems, and the faction systems are really well thought out. To balance out my desire to play FPS games and MMORPGs, I play SWG and some FPS games.

(I appologize if I sound like a fool atm, kind of stoned)

Whiety Bulger
07-09-03, 05:27
Ultima Online used to be the daddy i luved that game but i quite towards the end of 2000 it was getten carebearish. trammel suks