PDA

View Full Version : Changes in the way superiors look?

Heavyporker
06-09-03, 16:11
I want to see a change in the visual effects that superiors and even mob uniques cause when fired. And I greatly desire to
see different skins/graphics for them as well.

E.g - Holy Lighting should be a realistic blast of jagged forks of lightning slamming at the target. Hells, let it have AoE similiar to PSI Blasts the way they currently are... The spell graphic could show a <(```/```)> or something, to show the jagged lightning...

Fire Apocalypse... ah... perhaps if it was a TL 105 PSI Blast with better AoE, it might get somewhat more use... what about that "meteor" spell graphic that I saw in a screenshot, that <(``,/,/,/``)>? Use that for the spell graphic!

The "Rays" superiors don't get anything especially impressive. I mean, Reeza's Gaze or whatever gets those COOL red rays. Maybe if the superiors fired actinic-white rays, it'd look far more impressive...

The laser superiors just fires red lasers just like any other laser weapon. Perhaps if they fired orange or yellow beams, it'd show the "hotness" of the beam.

The fusion superiors gets thermonuclear blobs just like any other fusions... perhaps if you made them fire red or black blobs...

What about if the Viper Armor got a "scaly" red/black texture to show its origin?

It goes on and on... let us try some creativity to denote the superiors past mere apparent strengths... Make them truly
distinctive from the mere storeboughts.

Let us raise our voices! Let us show and share our creativity! Let us vote!

enablerbr
06-09-03, 16:24
1 word about current spell graphic/sound efx atm. LAG.
all spells do and for that matter plasma weapons do is cause my old comp has lag issues. so increasing the graphics efx will only cause me more of it.

Heavyporker
06-09-03, 16:27
that sounds remarkably selfish.

It's not the graphics, I think, it would be your connection.

New skins and coloreffects wouldnt stress anyone's computer.

japata
06-09-03, 16:34
As far as I know, lag isn't created by too special special effects. Lag is the delay between your computer and the server/other players determined by your connection and measured by simple ping packets (thus, fx's have almost nothing to do with lag)... though you might experience the loss of fps as lag.

And yea. The new fx's would be cool if there were a swich like "New weapon effects: ON/OFF"... similiar to the grass effect prolly.

Ascension
06-09-03, 16:38
Sum 1 post the Pic OF the Nema (psi monk) shot The Lightning Effect should be used of tht;) (it looks amazing)

SUM 1 PLEASE POST IT :P

enablerbr
06-09-03, 16:43
well my connection is 2.2mbit. yet my old comp is 400 celeron. so i'd say it was my comp not my connection.:p

Adramalech
06-09-03, 17:00
who voted no? :wtf:

BlackDove
06-09-03, 17:08
I did. NC is already CPU undfriendly and has an engine that rode in on trojan horse from hell. I was caving yesterday with 7 professional members of the uTs, 5 APU's, 2 PPU's going for the cap. All of APU's had holy lightning. All of the APU's used the holy lightning in order to not use a barrel since the team was full, and the HL did it's job fantastically without any barrels. The animation for those spells was - the same. I was getting 2 fps, when all of them were casting it. Having it show the difference between each and every spell - pulling it out of a different file = me probably crashing on the account of an overload.

Just - no.

StryfeX
06-09-03, 17:34
Oh. My. God. Stop being so fuckin' selfish people. It's not the game community's fault you have an old peice of shit computer.

Hell, I run a 1.3 GHz AMD Thunderbird with a NVidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 graphics card and the only time I get major FPS hits is when I'm at OPs or when there are like 40 people on screen doin' stuff.

My computer's not even that good, ffs. Leave the bitching about your hardware out of it.

Back on topic, I'd love to see new effects and skins for the 'special' items like rares, drop-only weapons, etc. IMHO, the rares should have had unique skins and models from the start.

--Stryfe

japata
06-09-03, 17:58
So the CPU usage is the problem? I'd hate to quote myself, but they COULD make a old-fx/new-fx switch like they did with the dynamic grass effect. (God, there seems to be a lot of dumbasses on the loose today. ;) )

Adramalech
06-09-03, 21:26
Originally posted by BlackDove
I did. NC is already CPU undfriendly and has an engine that rode in on trojan horse from hell. I was caving yesterday with 7 professional members of the uTs, 5 APU's, 2 PPU's going for the cap. All of APU's had holy lightning. All of the APU's used the holy lightning in order to not use a barrel since the team was full, and the HL did it's job fantastically without any barrels. The animation for those spells was - the same. I was getting 2 fps, when all of them were casting it. Having it show the difference between each and every spell - pulling it out of a different file = me probably crashing on the account of an overload.

Just - no.

BD, you need to upgrade your pc O_o :D

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 01:46
Heh, ok, let's try and steer this back to the original topic...

any more ideas about changing the way superior items look or fire? or further *constructive* criticism?

Mumblyfish
07-09-03, 01:52
Feh, I don't even USE superiors any more. Vanilla Energy Beam for me...

Consider my vote null and void.

KidWithStick
07-09-03, 01:54
"horrid idea...."

BlackDove
07-09-03, 01:57
Originally posted by StryfeX
Oh. My. God. Stop being so fuckin' selfish people.

You can preach it until you go red - the game needs to offer subject material for low end users as well as the high end users.

While being as selfish as I am - I couldn't give less of a shit on what you want or what you need in order to achieve nirvana, but for myself I just would like to play the game without having to move in a -twitch- fashion.

If you want to pay the coders to code strings just so you could turn on the "AJ WNT TEH PRETTIES LAJGHTS", be my guest, but as long as I have a low end computer here and my economy in a shape where I can't afford what you have - screw you.

In all essence - the game has so many bugs already, the coders have their hands full with fixing, so "give-me-models-so-I-don't-have-to-READ-it's-a-terror-mauler" should come last at the end of the list.

Eddie
07-09-03, 04:40
New graphics will add HARDLY any extra lag.

All graphics are displayed client-side: the server need only tell what type of clothes the server should display.

Very little extra bandwidth (or none extra at all if it's instead of the "current clothing" message).

Just wanted to add that as soon as I saw it.

Dunno if it was mentioned already.

Eddie

BlackDove
07-09-03, 04:43
That's my point. I don't want my computer to be loading that shit.

StryfeX
07-09-03, 10:33
That's my point. I don't want my computer to be loading that shit. So let there be an option to not show it. Done. Now stop bitching. kthxbye. :rolleyes:

--Stryfe

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 19:30
actually, stryfe, I think there are gfx options... either options at the login screen or F11 ingame... that should solve any problem.

StryfeX
07-09-03, 20:54
Originally posted by Heavyporker
actually, stryfe, I think there are gfx options... either options at the login screen or F11 ingame... that should solve any problem. I know that. :p

It's BlackDove who obviously didn't. I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday, so my reply was probably a little harsh, so sorry about that. Anyway, more customizable options to show/hide advanced effects wouldn/t be exactly unwelcome, either.

--Stryfe

Eddie
07-09-03, 22:31
That's my point. I don't want my computer to be loading that shit.

Well the choice is between loading your normal clothes/power armour, and loading the new things. It won't take much longer.

Plus - this is (meant to be) a scalable game - so if you don't want it - have the option to remove/disable it.

All the other MMOs (not that I have played any others) have a much more diverse clothing/appearance options, allowing you to express your personality much better.

Eddie

Psyco Groupie
07-09-03, 23:46
heavy poker you come up with the most useless crap ... not every weapon can be aoe ... bah wotever .. i hope no-one ever listens to you

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 23:48
What in the world is this guy talking about?! And who is he? Did he come from someplace I haven't heard of?

Geezus. Stick to the topic, please. It's simple... new GFX for the superiors and mob uniques... discuss.

Ozambabbaz
08-09-03, 00:33
very nice idea...make it customizable, so low-end users won't get nerfed :p

ElfinLord
08-09-03, 01:24
Originally posted by Ascention
Sum 1 post the Pic OF the Nema (psi monk) shot The Lightning Effect should be used of tht;) (it looks amazing)

SUM 1 PLEASE POST IT :P
Maybe this will work.

I think having this as an option is a good idea as long as it doesn't stress the systems of those who can't, or won't, afford a newer machine.:)

http://www.sighost.us/members/elfinlord/monk1.JPG

ElfinLord

bibliotequa
08-09-03, 01:27
for once, i agree with porker, each rare should have its own gfx, and its own animation, maybe slightly change the way that first loves look for example, make them slightly thinner, change color scheme a bit or something, make them shoot like 1 more bullet per burst, and have their plasma be lighter in color or something for example

Kasumi
08-09-03, 01:51
http://neocron.jafc.de/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=70

hehe Make a contribution :) and they might add yoru new effects.. learn how to make them not sure if you can make new effects.. but you can make new skins for hte guns..;) INstead of asking.. contribute ;)

And some of th rares and superiors have different effects.. DOY Raygun has a red beam.. Healing Light has a bigger brighter beam.. Devils grace is yellow.. Chaos Queen Flame Avalanche has a weird effect.. those are some examples..

SigmaDraconis
08-09-03, 02:24
Well IM running a P4 2.4 with a GF4 4200 on a 1meg connection

I don't have lag and choppy graphics when people cast psi spells...but I'm votign no for the very same reason...call it selfish if you wish...

not to mention..albiet theyre not 'great' the rare barrells are a monks top-end AOE, yes they are very good...the problem is you cant get close enough to cap on them for em to be as effective as holy barrells.

Basically...giving AOE to HL and FA really reduces their point-fire effectiveness...and thats a monks best advantage....huge amounts of point-damage, aswell as making the rare barrells even LESS desirable :(

unique graphics would be nice i suppose..but you cant get too ellaborate o.0

BlackDove
08-09-03, 02:27
So let there be an option to not show it. Done. Now stop bitching. kthxbye. :rolleyes:

--Stryfe

So glad I have you to tell me that.

The next guy who wants to call me "bitchy" can visit this (www.dictionary.com) place.

Originally posted by Heavyporker
actually, stryfe, I think there are gfx options... either options at the login screen or F11 ingame... that should solve any problem.

Read my post above.

I know that. :p

It's BlackDove who obviously didn't. I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday, so my reply was probably a little harsh, so sorry about that. Anyway, more customizable options to show/hide advanced effects wouldn/t be exactly unwelcome, either.

--Stryfe

No need to apologise, I can tell you for sure, that nothing in your posts was offensive. Obviously you need some more experience in that feild.

Originally posted by Eddie
Well the choice is between loading your normal clothes/power armour, and loading the new things. It won't take much longer.

Plus - this is (meant to be) a scalable game - so if you don't want it - have the option to remove/disable it.

All the other MMOs (not that I have played any others) have a much more diverse clothing/appearance options, allowing you to express your personality much better.

Eddie

Yep, you're right, read my post above.

Heavyporker
08-09-03, 02:32
Sigma... you ever used the PSI Blasts? They got almost nil AoE, but in the right situation, they DO hit more than one target (read: when you catch them in the act of having sex, and you get to hit them right down the middle :eek: :D :rolleyes: )