PDA

View Full Version : Creating value for experience above cap...

RayBob
06-09-03, 07:23
This is an idea for motivating people to go out and level their capped characters...selling experience points.

Create an NPC that offers to "buy" some set amount of experience points from the category of your choice in exchange for some reward.

For example, a capped tank has approximately 172 million experience in strength but those last 16 million or so are above and beyond what was needed to reach level 100 strength. The NPC could offer to buy 30 million strength experience in exchange for an illegal slot enhancer mod. The tank would get the mod and would lose about 2 strength levels. Obviously, he is going to want to get those back ASAP.

When we were all leveling our characters there was a purpose to every kill as it got us closer to the next level. This would add some of that back for capped characters.

Another NPC could offer to buy say 60 million experience points in exchange for a new slot enhancer mod that guarantees at least one slot on rares! The tank would lose maybe 6-7 strength levels but I bet many would do it. Having one guarantied slot on rare weapons would not disrupt the economy much at all.

Anyhow, just an idea I had. The amount of experience and the prizes are just examples. What do you think?

Ray

Shadow Dancer
06-09-03, 08:33
I like the general idea, but not your examples. :p

Heavyporker
06-09-03, 09:09
I find the idea hideous.

\\Fényx//
06-09-03, 10:32
Originally posted by Heavyporker
I find the idea hideous.

no its not bad, its just the examples are a bit crap :p Nobody would lose 2 levels of STR or PSI just for a illegal slot.

Mankind
06-09-03, 10:45
I had an idea similar to this...

Keep the caps the same as they are now. But allow characters to still level. For example whatever it takes a tank to lvl from 99-100, you can do 99-100 infinitely. The only difference is that you don't get the experience points when you gain a level. Instead you get a blueprint, and that can be given to an NPC somewhere in the game (could be anyone really, but somewhere far would make it better). Now, when you give them this blueprint there's a chance of a couple things coming out of it...

***COMPLETELY RANDOM***

5 Experience points (In a datacube)
or
50000 Cash (In a datacube)
or
5 Tech parts
or
Datacube Destroyed

***COMPLETELY RANDOM***

So its a 1/4 chance that you will get experience points. If people are hardcore gamers, I believe they should be able to have the chance to have a hardcore character.

:)

RayBob
06-09-03, 10:55
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Nobody would lose 2 levels of STR or PSI just for a illegal slot.
What would an NPC have to offer you to make you willing to regain your last 2 strength levels? I think a slot enhancer for rare weapons is a good idea but what else would be good?

Ray

Mumblyfish
06-09-03, 11:42
Let's see, a good idea, but what else could be offered?

- Weapon mods not unlike the Larents' (Laurants, Loorunts...?)
- Weapon mods which prevent decay (IE buy a mod which, when put in, makes said weapon repair to 120/120)
- Ability to buy more safeslots for say, 10 levels in your primary skill.
- As already suggested, a techpart package. Only you get to pick categories such as "PSI Spell Tech Package" (10 random PSI techs), "Rifle Tech Package" (10 random rifle techs) and so on.
- Something as simple as a cash incentive. I know I'd sell one of my PSI levels for a million creds, but this could horribly screw up the economy.

I think all of the above (except the last) are pretty rewarding, yet not unbalanced.

Shadow Dancer
06-09-03, 11:47
I like your idea Mumbles.

Perhaps make it "choosable" only once, if people are worried about balance.

Pill
06-09-03, 11:54
to make me regain 2 levels that high, i'd have to be offered more than a slot enhancer that can only be used on non-rares, i can tell you that much :)

Scikar
06-09-03, 13:06
Erm.. The plan for the DoY skill changes is similar to this already, sin't it?

Mumblyfish
06-09-03, 17:31
Nothing's been confirmed.