PDA

View Full Version : Idea, Longer, Darker Caves....

Q`alooaith
05-09-03, 02:09
Ok, I was just going though the CRP caves with my APU, Super's Hybird and tank, and was thinking.. It's too short, and the only way out is all the way back there, and it's way to bright..

So anyway, I was thinking how cool it would be to have a few new caves, with no lights in them at all, so you have to use flashlights, twice if not three times as long as the CRP cave with many long winding side tunnels and a few boss mobs in them.. And with little exit only's at key points, it's been proved it can be done on the TS with the teliport thingi's so it'd be nice for a big old cave, so you can get out quick, but can't get back in the same way, you have to start over again..

And I then had another idea, another lightless cave, but this time for higher level players, where the only exit, is past the boss mob at the end, you'd get dropped in at the start, with no exit near you, so you have to fight your way past all the mobs to get to the boss mob then out..
Maybe a warning about it being a high level cave before you enter... Also with no lights...

BlackDove
05-09-03, 03:07
Those caves (CRP, etc.) are specifically for leveling in order to cap. They serve their purpose. What you're describing sounds at about the difficulty of mc5 (ok not quite, but still - kinda hard). So if you're capped, I suggest mc5 to cap you even more ;)

OTIS
05-09-03, 12:03
fuck man...i like both ideas but combine them and think about the possibilities...the exp leeches can hold the flashlight on the mob while the high ranked peeps can pwn. Great idea!

Velvet
05-09-03, 12:41
YES!

Total darkness...
A real maze...
lots of small nasty creatures (Dragon-Flies:p )
something to explore...
infinite chasms...
something to hack...
and a restiction on the number of runners in the cave at the same time:lol:

*just dreaming*

Dribble Joy
05-09-03, 13:23
SO like the entrance would be a kinda long slippery tunnel that you can't climb back up and have to find another exit?

Would be cool.

NexusPlexus
05-09-03, 15:02
bring on the darkness....
bring on the fear factor....

what made the game awesome at first was the discovery and exploration factor. not knowing whats goin to jump out and kick you in the ass is 50% of the fun.

Heavyporker
05-09-03, 15:37
Beautiful ideas...

But don't make them like the chaos caves...

Have you ever seen the Crystal Caves? DARK AS HECK in the other rooms that don't have mobs in them!

And yes, a long slope downwards that you can slide down but can't back up...

Plus the light from the sun would be glinting down that, making for some gorgeous lighting effect (ever seen the Apparition Chamber? That's what I mean - the gorgeous lights). And the Crystal Caves had those chasms you could fall down... And that Worm Tunnel in Yutano (I never got the courage to go farther past than that enormous circular chamber - I couldn't see the bottom of the hole there! :eek:

Put a tiny stream of water throughout it... following the stream lets you know you're on the main stretch of caverns, but you can go off the stream to look into other fissure chambers and such.

You could make some false paths with the stream splitting up here and there, making the people down there worry about which path to take... the false path would deadend in a perhaps a huge chamber with maybe a hole in it, making the stream fall down it in a gorgeous spreay of water (hey, look at the Outzone Exit Mainsewer - anyone been there will know what I refer to in terms of waterfalls, only with CLEAN WATER :D )

or perhaps the false path steam goes by into a weird chamber with a really low roof in some places, so that you have to crouch and crawl to get past ( yes, people who've come out of the mainsewers in some places will know exactly what I mean, only with a rock roof)

or perhaps the steam will go on and on, then finally deadend into a huge pool ( Shades of Journey to the Center of the Earth!), with maybe mobs in it (hey - if KK makes the sandworms work, then water mobs should be piss easy...) or on the beach around it that you have to check out.

Make it almost impossible to map (sorry MrBane) - like doing it a la MainSewers - long, long, long stretch of many offshoots of cool pathways and those suprise rooms that're home to mobs and such.

My god... this would just freaking rock. Maybe set them into the side of the eastern mountaincliffs, just around the general area of the Regant's Legacy swamplands? You'd set out for the mountains, see them, and then see a strange fissure in the cliffs, come closer and see the indicator "Vast Caverns One" and such.

You could make them link up in a TREMEDOUS stretch along the mountains, like Gaya Mines - they would be all linked up - "Vast Caverns Entrance 1, 2, 3, and 4" - and about 6 to 9 sectors to zone through down there in the caverns before you can find another Vast Caverns Entrance... By Crahn, it would be SO beautiful... Please KK... I beseech thee, do this project!

FireWarrior
05-09-03, 15:55
YAY! that would SOOOOOO rock!

KK!! DO!! NOW!! plz?

Q`alooaith
06-09-03, 12:50
Originally posted by BlackDove
Those caves (CRP, etc.) are specifically for leveling in order to cap. They serve their purpose. What you're describing sounds at about the difficulty of mc5 (ok not quite, but still - kinda hard). So if you're capped, I suggest mc5 to cap you even more ;)

No you've missed the point..

Yes these caves would give some pretty good XP and maybe loot, but they'd be dark, very risky, large and mazelike, so you could get lost on the way out, leading you into another Boss mob, which you don't have to fight to get out and behind is just a dead end..

The idea is to have a place which once you drop into, you have to fight your way out, and takes time to find the right way out. Maybe even have bossmobs slowly respawn while ppl are still inside, or boss mobs spawn twice as many little mobs..

The point is it'd be somthing for capped players to do, which would not be like MC5, all closed and needing a PPU for each person, it'd be long winding and take some time to do...

And I'm not just talking two here, maybe four or so total, one like the CRP style, one CC style, another the giya mines style (with MC5 type bosses and such) and Swamp caves style.. Worm tunnels don't fit as well that style lends more to a maze of tunnel's but with lesser mobs with them.. dunno might work, but it'd be very cramped, wich might be good...

It's MC5, but like not a small room facing the mobs, but a system which you are trying to get out of.. Like the old arcade games, you have to beat the boss to get to the next level, which ends with a harder boss.. these would be, beat the boss to get out, maybe even beat a boss to get deeper..

Judge
06-09-03, 13:48
That would be rocking.... it would be cool to have some for Capped players, of like MC5 difficulty and some for mid level players with * and ** mobs inside. Getting a weapon specially made for the Dark Caves, modded with a flashlight would rock.

Ascension
06-09-03, 14:16
Give it 5 Stars Lets MAke sure the Dev Sees it ;)

Q`alooaith
06-09-03, 14:21
Originally posted by Ascention
Give it 5 Stars Lets MAke sure the Dev Sees it ;)

I'll go for that ;)

It'd give a reason for flashlights, maybe even some lower level (25/25) caves and tunnels with no lights for newer players to level in, but same get out problem with fighting somthing much tougher to get out..

Heavyporker
06-09-03, 15:37
Actually, Q'alooaith, I wanna to make the Vast Caverns progressively more difficult as you go along... like the Vast Caverns 1 stretchin to VC2 would have the 25/25 - 35/35 mobs, VC2 to VC3 would have the 40/40 - 55/55 mobs, VC3 to VC4 would have the 60/60 - 80/80 mobs... that way, its a test of skill for players to be able to claim they could go in at one end and come out the other end alive.

Amen, yes, I would like it that Flashlights/flashlight mods were absolutely necessary to bring into the caverns... but still, I would like some of those glowy flowers from the swampcaves placed here and there among the main stream so it'd be that much easier to follow it... like say 1 or 2 glowflowers each km down there... or perhaps in little bunches here and there like so - little oases of fertility, if you know what I mean.

Q`alooaith
06-09-03, 16:17
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Amen, yes, I would like it that Flashlights/flashlight mods were absolutely necessary to bring into the caverns... but still, I would like some of those glowy flowers from the swampcaves placed here and there among the main stream so it'd be that much easier to follow it... like say 1 or 2 glowflowers each km down there... or perhaps in little bunches here and there like so - little oases of fertility, if you know what I mean.

Maybe have little patches of lights where it's safe to rest up, or places that you can clear out and won't get any spawns in that area, so you can have a little rest.. But nothing to show your on the right route, it should be hard..

Maybe a cave system, like Dark Cave's 1 is the way in, and at the end is the way out, which is exit only, or a side tunnel leading down to DC2, then DC3 which leads to DC4, which would be 90/90+ mobs only, with quite a few 120/120's dotted about, maybe dropping MC5 type rares, or cave loot, but somthing well worth going for, maybe a hack box which gives weapons already modded with flashlights.. You get the idea..

Cruzbroker
06-09-03, 16:17
Monk gloves should be modable and damage effective ;)
slot on glove => flashlight o_O

Q`alooaith
06-09-03, 16:20
Originally posted by Cruzbroker
Monk gloves should be modable and damage effective ;)
slot on glove => flashlight o_O

Maybe a psi spell like soul cluster, but light cluster so it just add's a light to above the monks head...

Heavyporker
06-09-03, 16:28
Man, I'd love flashlight modded gloves. That or flashlight modded helms.

Q`alooaith
06-09-03, 16:39
Man, I'd love flashlight modded gloves. That or flashlight modded helms.

I'd rather have flashlight on my spell though, so I can see where I'm going when I'm shooting stuff.

Yay, I had a good idea that people liked... yay...

Adramalech
06-09-03, 17:03
w00t shit like that would be gr8 - voted yes to both...

Q`alooaith
06-09-03, 18:16
I'd like to know from the four that voted no to both, why you'd not want these extra caves?

But then you always get a few silly ones that vote no to everthing..

Heavyporker
06-09-03, 21:54
yep, I know the feeling, q'alooaith.

I said I wanted flashlights ON the gloves so you wouldnt have to worry about modding spells... plus the spell modules aren't really the best thing to put flashlights in o_O when they're like 5 mm thin.

Judge
06-09-03, 22:04
They should make special caving helmets with flashlights already modded on.... make a helmet version of all the helms in-game. Buy it from a special caving shop, along with the flashlight mod and light spell. That would rock :)

Heavyporker
06-09-03, 22:08
no caving shop, please. let's keep it simple and realistic. should be buyable from yo's and crytons, methinks.

the flashlight modded helm wouldn't be special - just three versions - STR 10, STR 25, and STR 40. Each would have progressively more PURE FORCE resistance... say like +10 for the first one, + 30 for the second, and + 45 for the third level. Pressing 'f' would turn the helm light on.

lightspell would be utterly unneccessary, at least atm... just fix it so that Soulclusters, fire spells, and laserblades actually light up the area around them when used.

Q`alooaith
06-09-03, 22:34
No resist on the light helm, well maybe like 5 points of force resist, but realy low str req, like 5 or so, it's purly for light...

Or make helmets slotable so we can mod em...

Or an implant, anyone for a flashlight eye?

the light spell would hover above the Psi's head, maybe with no PPU or APU req, just MST and Psi level, so all classes could use a low level... or like a flare, so it stays for a little time, but don't move... or or or...

But caves without light of their own is a def good idea, so many people think so... BTW, 13 day poll, so not much time left to vote on it..

t0tt3
07-09-03, 00:40
yea make more caves make more cool zones just do something new to this world oooh DoY forgot that :p :D

Q`alooaith
07-09-03, 00:47
Originally posted by t0tt3
yea make more caves make more cool zones just do something new to this world oooh DoY forgot that :p :D

Who care's about DoY, this would be somthing good for now, or later..

I'd love to see this sorta thing before DoY, because there's not realy a reason for flashlights right now..

t0tt3
07-09-03, 00:50
Well dunno i love the idea but... have you seen anything new to NC? like caves and shit... I have not done that just the old bored shit :(

Q`alooaith
07-09-03, 01:06
Originally posted by t0tt3
Well dunno i love the idea but... have you seen anything new to NC? like caves and shit... I have not done that just the old bored shit :(

That's why it's a poll, and thats why you should give it five star's, it's good idea, and you want it, don't you sir, you realy want it, do you sir, do you, do you realy want it.....

ehem, anyway..

I'm thinking the last tunnel/cave, has mobs that drop MC5 parts, or other simmilar goodie's so you have a real reason to go there, while higher up they drop Rarpart's/Dungion(sp?) loot and stuff..

So you get better stuff for going deeper, and more mazelike, with lots of drops intoside tunnels with mega mobs if you step wrong way in the dark, higher up these would not be 120/120 mega mobs, but leveled for the area, so for the first level, they'd be like aggy capt's down the slidy holes, getting higher level the deeper you go..

The idea's are, to;

1, Make a more interseting dundgeon(I know, I can't spell)

2, Give a use to flashlights.

2.5, a system for all level's that can challenge more..

So under this system, it'd not be new places, it'd just alter old ones to fit, so cellers in plasa 1, would lose the grids and grates over the water like the mainsewer area's, and would lead down at the end room to a mainsewer type location, where all the light's are shorted out, which would have launcher level mobs (45/45-50/50) and at the end would have a single 55/55-60/60 mob, and a way down deeper to old sewer system, filled with 70/70-85/85 mobs, and a 90/90-95/95 mob at the end, and a way down to Large burrow, with 90/90-120/120 mob's and a mega spawner 120/120 at the end, and a sewer spout leading underwater in the wastlands near NC..

t0tt3
07-09-03, 01:10
ofcourse i want it but I seen what this community going to..... I dont have anything to do execpt make the noobs a living hell or anyone for that matter :p Why cant they do anything for us long term players? Its TO easy to cap your char its a mmorpg ffs!!!! 2 days and you can use rares with a PE w/o any prob.. t.t 2 days?!?! lol gg KK

btw i did post a 5 star on this thread :p I do like the idea but =/ :o

Q`alooaith
07-09-03, 01:19
Yes, two days and you can use rare's on a PE, can you share the info's on how..

Anyway, try and get a new rare in two days, well that's easy if you just hunt all first day for parts, and are lucky enough to get good trade the second..

You could try having fun while leveling, my Psi's not mega fast leveled, I might even reroll to level again cause it can be fun....

Rember, it's not the desination, but the path you take...

Pill
07-09-03, 01:24
bleh, plz, just turn your gamma up, can see everything.

Q`alooaith
07-09-03, 01:27
Originally posted by Pill
bleh, plz, just turn your gamma up, can see everything.

These caves would have no light at all.

yea some people do that, it's cheep and ruins the atmophear of the game..

Cruzbroker
07-09-03, 01:27
Well, they are looking for publisher, so they've got it almost or done.. they have time, do they? do you? o_O

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 01:28
oh, I'm sorry powerlevelers find it too easy to cap their characters.

And please, stop it with mobs dropping MC5 parts when they're not affliated or not in MC5 itself... MC5 is MC5.

Techparts for superiors would drop from the 100/100+ mobs, well in certain branches, anyway.

I don't think it should be *special* in loot, but in the experience...

Perhaps some new Mob Bosses, dropping spy/PE uniques, but thats it.

That, actually, would be awesome - TWO different stretches - one would be a long, nearly endless cavern, another stretch would be an extension of the mainsewers.

Let's not make a NEW series of sewers, but make it so the current mainsewers get extended and deepened and have their mobspawns changed slightly so the deeper one goes, the more dangerous and different the mobs are.

Hell, link up the city sewers to the abandoned cellars to the mainsewers, then make it so the citysewers spawn the rats and beggars, the abandoned cellars spawn the mutant humans, and the deeper mainsewers the REALLY nasty wierd things that are over 40/40...

The first parts of the current mainsewers can keep spawning the same stuff (diseased rats and mutants) but past them, they REALLY need a change in mobs... up to perhaps 70/70.

But let's keep it fairly mild in the mainsewers, becvuse for one, thats under the city and has been maintained by animal control, and for another, that will have to be an access point to carry anticity members to the outzone/pepperpark areas.

Lets not make the city sewers in plaza one and the like plunge suddenly into chaos, q'al... that'd be nuts. The point here is a gradual deepening, a slow rise in difficulty, keeping things simple for KK and for players (esp the noobs).

Pill
07-09-03, 01:31
melees would be set, and you could just bring a buster boy to hold the flashlight, everyone else could still crank gamma ;(

i only have my gamma the way it is, because i find it insanely hard to see.

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 01:34
WTF is with people just taking the !@#!@#! chumpass shortcut and cranking the gamma up?!?! !@#!@ SO damn cheap!

Pill
07-09-03, 01:40
lol i'm serious when i say i can't see, the way my screen is, plaza is like, uber dark like i would hit myself in the face with my own hand dark

Q`alooaith
07-09-03, 01:43
Heavy, I said MC5 like part's or loot, it don't have to be frelling MC5 parts fool..

MC5 would still be there, maybe a MC3 lab, which might explain the MC rareparts...

But the idea is the very end one, has stuff you can only get by getting to the very end of it, and can't be gotten be going out and hunting WB's all day..

Maybe switch some of the rarepool to cave loot tables.

Cruzbroker
07-09-03, 02:48
heh, and when there's many zones the ones cleared reset, when going back (if it's dead-end-cave) the mobs have spawned back :D

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 14:57
yep, as it should be, cruz... the caverns would be ALIVE... no mere once-over by puny runners would force it to sullen somnolence.

Lanigav
07-09-03, 15:48
The swamp caves achieve that effect fairly nice. Its fairly dark, and I've gotten lost in there a few times.

I'm all for newer, really dark, really long caves with harder enemies (but nothing impossibly difficult or confusing). It would definetely make the near capped/capped hunting experience a lot more interesting than doing the Chaos Caves over and over again, or getting killed in 1 or 2 hits over in MC5. They need to do two things first though.

First, make improved flashlights. The ones they have now just flat out blow. They need to make some sort of floodlight that's wider, brighter, and doesn't get all buggy on curved terrain. Current flashlights would offer little to no help in pitch black caves.

Second, make the loot actually worth it. Have them drop tech parts or items that will sell exceptionally well. Maybe even items that could be used to build specific tech parts.

Q`alooaith
08-09-03, 12:56
Maybe change some of the rares to cave loot?

Or make their parts caveloot, that take some out of the WB and other big mob's drop pool, meaning your more likly to get the rare you want...

Yea flashlights might need a bit of work, maybe even a travel light type thing, used like a weapon would light up all around it.. Fire to turn it on and off...

Q`alooaith
09-09-03, 00:16
No one think some of the current rare's should be made caveloot, maybe drop as parts in lower caveloot.. I dunno, maybe the lower level stuff..

Look's outside and hope's mods ingore stealth bump, it's only a few more days till the polls close and I wanna know what ppl think

hnlecter
09-09-03, 00:18
Screw flashlights I'll turn my gamma up so high just so I can see I will have to wear sunglasses.

Q`alooaith
09-09-03, 00:21
Originally posted by hnlecter
Screw flashlights I'll turn my gamma up so high just so I can see I will have to wear sunglasses.

I'd like to ask..

Anyone know a way to foil the people who do this..

Would having Zero ambent light be good..

Or would it have to be a cheat's way. IE..

Only draw textures and objects if your within range of a light.. I dunno, that sounds messy and there's probably an easyer way, but you get the idea..

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 00:30
yes, Q'looaith, I want to screw the people that cheat with their gamma, as well. :mad: Grrrr....

No, I'm not talking about NEW caveloots (well, past that of new organics or whatever) but perhaps one or two of the <TL100 rares.

VEC parts or whatever mechanical shouldn't be dropping from them, that's just dumb. Drugs, oh yes, let them drop... Perhaps some armors... but just light stuff mainly, so people can carry SOME caveloot out.

There's one, well two, mobs that HAS to be in the Vast Caverns....

The bats and flappers... yup... definitely... period.

MrBane
09-09-03, 00:33
Make it almost impossible to map (sorry MrBane)

*Laughs* It'd be you that'd get assigned to mapping it, matey!

Brief sidenote here.. If people want to crank up their gamma, let them, but they'd be missing out on the whole point of the exercise.

So whilst they're busy continuing their happy power-level, the rest of us would be having a gripping time, shitting our pants, and trying not to die of cardiac arrest when the beasts round the corner on us and we don't clock until they're on top of us.

Q`alooaith
09-09-03, 00:36
yes, Q'looaith, I want to screw the people that cheat with their gamma, as well. :mad: Grrrr....

There's one, well two, mobs that HAS to be in the Vast Caverns....

The bats and flappers... yup... definitely... period.

They are Dark not vast... well they are vast too but they are more dark... oh I dunno what they are called..

anyway, multiple level's, bats on the higher level's Flappers lower levels, mega 240/240 spawner of 120/120's at the very bottom...

Bat's should not go into the CC sort of level's, they are just anoying, bloody hell are they anoying, can't target them, and they flap about fast, and then shoot you for mega damage..

No, flappers on the lower level's so you can hit them, but higher level than most..

Hell I'd make the area myself if they gave me a tool to make the area maps..

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 14:17
Geesh, why do people start with 240/240s and such mobs? Let's keep it real.

Yes, I agree that the bats shouldn't be on the level of Crystal Cave, really..

But as a general background mob, I mean, like in the wastelands or the outzone... <30/30 bats would there to give flavor to the area. Sure, have some of those 80/80+ flappers as mobs to be fought and killed and looted...

Look, everyone KNOWs when you go into a cave, there's like 90% chance you meet with bats, so let's put them in, even if they'd be weak and merely eyecandy to scare people by jumping off the ceiling when you flash your light at them.

But I want to stand firm on this - no importation of any other cave-specific mobs, like scorpions/crawlers/snakes/such.

Perhaps this could become the spider cave...

Brammers
09-09-03, 14:56
Love both of the ideas!

And to throw another idea into this thread, us droners will need a new type of drone.

The FL1 "Flashlight" drone. :)

Warlogis
09-09-03, 14:59
Beg you KK - do not create dungeons such as "Daggerfall" ones ;)

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 15:45
um... daggerfall??

MjukisDjur
09-09-03, 15:58
lots of small nasty creatures (Dragon-Flies )

Nooooooo, not dragon flies...
they are too damn hard :)

Warlogis
09-09-03, 16:43
"Daggerfall" - this is 2nd game from Bethesda's trilogy "Elders Scroll".
1st was at 1994 - called "Arena"
2nd at 1996 - "Daggerfall"
3rd at 2002 - "Morrowind" ;)

Dungeons was big in 1st game, but in 2nd ... it was nightmare ... till you'll finally get an idea about general types of em :cool:
At Morrowind most biggest dungeons are hardly compaired even with lesser Daggerfall's ...

Q`alooaith
09-09-03, 19:51
The idea is to make big ones..

This is not a one off cave idea, this is a load of many many caves idea..

the 240/240 mob idea was somthing just to give an impression of how tough the mob would be, not mega damage, but mega HP's so it'd take a long time to kill, and would spawn some very high level mobs from time to time..

A realy nasty thing at the very very end of the bottom level of the dark caves, there would be a diffrent one each cave system, or tunnel system..

The idea is to have very very long and hard to navigate caves, with no light's of their own..

BTW, MW don't handle big area's very well, I made a very large cave system once, about a quarter the size of MW, with ways out dotted over and around, but I had to break the inside into double the number of cell's..

Heavyporker
09-09-03, 20:07
I like that flashlight drone idea...heh, 20 RCL and 15 WPW, and its a floodlight drone. As in, the handheld flashlights got a 10* spread beam, the drone would have like 30*. Then people would LOVE to have droners with them in the Vast Caverns.

Q`alooaith
10-09-03, 01:00
I like that flashlight drone idea...heh, 20 RCL and 15 WPW, and its a floodlight drone. As in, the handheld flashlights got a 10* spread beam, the drone would have like 30*. Then people would LOVE to have droners with them in the Vast Caverns.

Why do you keep calling them vast...

They are dark caves and thats what I calls em..

Or as least call them vast dark caverns.. FFS..

:p

Anyway.. The drone ok idea, but then the droner would have to drop it every now and then to move his bod forward so he's not out of range..

But still a nice idea. Maybe an auto drone needing highish RCL skill's which floats about the droner and act's like a SC sorta, but without an attack..

Benjie
10-09-03, 02:54
Here, you can borrow this journel I found in the steppe in the wastelands. I think it may be of some use to you...

"10/12 I have been walking in the northen steppe for days now. I have just discovered an un registered cave marked into the northan cavern. I am going to check it out, it's probabally nothing."

10/14 It's bigger than I first thought.. The cave formation is far too suggestive of a large unstable cave, it looks like it leads into the canyon wall...."

"10/20 There is a giant shaft leading down. I think I can jump on the ledges and get down there, but I wont be able to get back up again..... I'm going down."

"10/23 encounter with some simple rats. No problem here. Damn this cave is dark..."

"10/45 Encountered a few Rad-Scorpians. Took em out.... This cave is curious..."

"11/02 ....... It's dark. I have had to turn the torch on to see into the darkest corners. I havn't encountered a monster in a while, but I am scared that they are watching me from inside the giant dark cracks in the wall....."

"11/04 This place is like a maze, I am just taking random turns now. I have had to backtrack a couple of times already...."

"11/10 Damnit a group of sandworms? What the hell are they doing here? Anyway killed em. bastards."

"11/36 It's getting very difficult to navigate. I had to crawl under a low roof, and one part I had to pratically swim through!"

"11/58 I encountered a beutifull open warterfall covered with swaying grass, surounded with sandcrawlers again. Tons of the bastards! Took em out. I noticed a Tunnel under the waterfall. I think I will check it out... "

"00/23 Holy Shit! How can a doom reaper survive down here? Damnit I think it can see me. I will have to kill it, hopefully it will contain somthing rare to me...."

"00/56 Turned the torch on full brightness, its getting extremely dark. Most of my charred clothes I have left behind. I noticed some other human remains... and some strange abandoned storage crates. Upon hacking them I found Tunnel Clearing Equiptment...... Can a human survuve down here?"

"01/45 .....Oh my god, this is my last diary entry I am certain of it. THere Are TheSe PsI HumaNoidS, onlY.... thEy arE FREAks!!!! i wAs levitaTed Into the air... I felt My aRms RipPingf Appart! This must be ThE holy Mother of tHe PsI monkS. The cavE that has been passed down iN bookS. I aM touching the ceiling and mY legS are faR from the Flo0r, I can feel my arms..... My legs...... Araaaaargh!!!!..."

The rest of the book is blank. Please give it back when you have finished. I wanna look at it again for clues on the location of this cave....

Heavyporker
10-09-03, 03:16
Heh heh, nice, benjie, but I wonder how he had the presence of mind to write in his journal when he was getting torn apart? o_O

Benjie
10-09-03, 03:19
Heh heh, nice, benjie, but I wonder how he had the presence of mind to write in his journal when he was getting torn apart? o_O

He used his PSI powers. He was an exotic Psi Private Eye. Hence him being alone. ;) This journel is very old and so he could use exotic psi. Glad u enjoyed reading it. I want it back though!

flyjedi
10-09-03, 03:20
longer caves. good choice. crp always ends too soon

Q`alooaith
10-09-03, 14:23
O T H A T P I H N S Y E E F R E A A T I I M R R P A T T E M H P I S T E N S I M Y S R F 0

Glad I was wrong about the letters..

Anyway, caving gear's a good idea, maybe some dynamic items like ropes which could be used to climb down places..

anyway, it'd be cave mobs, maybe just renamed mobs form up top, but the idea being at the end it's like a boss mob thats mega tough, but it's a long way down, with the first parts being easy..

Maybe even side tunnels or cracks, which you can use to go though, some would lead up and out, others just dead end, the ones leading out would just drop out somwhere in the wastlands, with no way back, unless you go though the whole caves again.. so you can get out, but you can't get back in without starting over..

Heavyporker
10-09-03, 14:35
Actually, I bet it'd be easy to make ropes as functional dynamic items by assigning them the attributes of ladder objects, and then making a decent GFX for them, but then, they need to have rules (such as, must be connected to something, limited height, can only be used straight up or across, etc), otherwise people will be doing the "indian swami" things with them all over.

Q`alooaith
10-09-03, 14:39
Actually, I bet it'd be easy to make ropes as functional dynamic items by assigning them the attributes of ladder objects, and then making a decent GFX for them, but then, they need to have rules (such as, must be connected to something, limited height, can only be used straight up or across, etc), otherwise people will be doing the "indian swami" things with them all over.

Hmmm yea.. thats a point I didn't think too clearly about..

Maybe make them drop down, so when you place them they go down realy far, but no up very far...

Or or or.. Script a block of wood, or some other object, to check and then remove Rope object, then spawn rope ladder down object, which decays after 120 seonds..

It could be done, and means you have to carry more than one rope.. or somthing..

Heavyporker
10-09-03, 14:52
Eww... that'd be a concern, seeing how heavy ropes can be.

And besides, isn't it the 28th century? :) We could make the ropes self-removing, so after you used it, you could pull it down after yourself... means you wouldn't be able to get back up, but that's an option...

and 120 seconds sounds WAY too short, especially for a caving team...

Q`alooaith
10-09-03, 15:05
Eww... that'd be a concern, seeing how heavy ropes can be.

And besides, isn't it the 28th century? :) We could make the ropes self-removing, so after you used it, you could pull it down after yourself... means you wouldn't be able to get back up, but that's an option...

and 120 seconds sounds WAY too short, especially for a caving team...

120 seconds sounds just right..

Look at it this way, it gets you down. thats it.. if somones at the top they can lower a rope to get you back up..

I'll make it more clear.. at certain points, like dropping down to the next level, you need to use some caving gear (lootable in boxes) to get down past a certain obstical..

I dunno about the rope idea though thats just a maybe thing..

the caving gear would give lights, maybe flares items you could drop and last 120 seconds each, but give off light, very good if you need to lower your flashlight to fight..

Maybe ropes could be included, but they'd not be needed to be in for caving..

Underwater area's would be nice, you know dark and you can't use your lights maybe an underwater light..

They'd have to be points where you either push on, or get out.. like drops down..

Heavyporker
10-09-03, 21:53
Heh, I still giggle at the thought of as "Land's End" caving gear shop. And all the bad sex jokes that would ensue if KK ever did that. The caving gear really shouldn't be that special or whatever... just maybe 3 or 4 items that Yo's and the nomad traders sells. Rope, Flare, Flashlights, Caving Helm with light....

I say let the flashlights and flares work underwater. Let's not make things more complicated. And making boxes spawn that kind of stuff sounds kind of silly... but perhaps the flares and rope should become part of box spawns, because they'd be usable in other situations than caving, see.

I don't like the idea of making constant "points of no-returns" with making the rope time out so quickly. No decent caving team would do things like that.

Q`alooaith
10-09-03, 22:16
I think there should e lots of caving gear, needed to get to the very very bottom, scaling up in price.. useable over and over again, but pricey so no newb's end up going to the bottom by misstake and getting wasted by the first little thing they see....

Heavyporker
10-09-03, 22:18
More complexity means less likelihood of implementation. Plus that'd be pointless, adding too much stuff that don't do much.

Q`alooaith
10-09-03, 22:26
More complexity means less likelihood of implementation. Plus that'd be pointless, adding too much stuff that don't do much.

No it'd serve a purpose.. maybe better lights or somthing, rop ladders... you know, it's so newb's don't stray to the hardest area's first, without knowing...

Though maybe not..

The idea is to have dark cavesa, so flares are a must, and caver helms, but maybe give no resists to them at all though..

Tyranny
11-09-03, 16:14
No constructive comment cos its all there in thread - Great Ideas!!

5 Stars

Q`alooaith
11-09-03, 18:35
Originally posted by Tyranny
No constructive comment cos its all there in thread - Great Ideas!!

5 Stars

If you have nothing construtive to say... find something and nitpick...

Heavyporker
11-09-03, 22:39
There HAS to be some sort of resist set to the caving helms, otherwise they'd be all but useless, because people LIKE having some sort of cranial protection.

It'd have to have at least 30 FOR... look at the real life caving helms - they're designed to protect against that sort of damage.