PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about post counts?

Forseti
05-09-03, 00:39
I am curious about the community's opinion about post count.
Do you see it as your status symbol in this community? or is it just some number?

Please give your vote at the poll.
The outcome of the poll is just some info for the mod team. So even if 90% votes 'yes', that does not mean post count will be removed. And that goes in both directions. ;)

Shadow Dancer
05-09-03, 00:41
It's just a silly number TBH. People use it against someone with high post counts, and against someone with 2-3 post counts.

I vote to remove it.

Marx
05-09-03, 00:42
its nothing important.

+1 !!!

j/k

:D

Duder
05-09-03, 00:42
Yes, get rid of it, people will spam less then....maybe...

Tycho C
05-09-03, 00:45
Sure, for some it may be an indication of spammage, but I see it as a view on how much a person expresses their opinion.
An in dication of thier willingness to speek up.

Yeah, that sounds good...

Xian
05-09-03, 00:47
Quantity does not equal quality. It's that simple - yet many people think that anyway. I see a lot of annoying attitudes; people saying because they have more posts than someone else they suddenly become the 'right' ones or 'win' an argument.

Post counts should be taken away, they don't mean anything anyway.

Forget My Name
05-09-03, 00:52
I only say something when something needs to be said.

Othwrs say things when their ego needs pampering.

Remove it.

IceStorm
05-09-03, 00:54
Where I come from (http://arstechnica.infopop.net), post count doesn't "count", as it were. It's displayed, but it's rarely used for evidence of senority. Usually when someone tries to use it for that purpose, it backfires.

jernau
I would like to say I don't care at all but that's a lie.

OTOH I think some people take it far to seriously and just waste the mods time trying to get theirs higher.

The count itself doesn't say anything really unless you have some idea of the quality of their posts but it is an interesting statistic to note.

Reg. date is potentially more useful assuming the person regd. when they started playing (I didn't for example) and never used >1 account.

I'd vote to leave it in as it does no harm (spam would continue in some other form than "+1") but encourage the mods to either reduce or zero persistant spammer's counts a lot more often.

Style
get rid off. alot of people on this forum think your post count = your dick size

Xian
05-09-03, 00:58
Originally posted by Style
get rid off. alot of people on this forum think your post count = your dick size

And we all know thats not true. *looks at top 10 posters* :p

MrBane
05-09-03, 01:06
I can speak from professional opinion here...

I used to run www.ofpec.com - We had over 10,000 visitors per day, and our Forum was one of the best Community Forums you would ever find. It was staffed with great Volunteers, and I placed a German as Forum Administrator.. (Germans make great mods!)

After much debate, we decided to remove post counts.

Now, we didn't have a problem with spam, or anything like that, but we noticed that at least a dozen people made posts, on the basis of what appeared to be, purely to boost their post count.

We removed the Post Count, and the people that got upset, were the ones we had fingered as the 'spammers'.

Now, the situation is much better, everyone is happy, and Post Count is forgot.

I strongly recommend removing Post Counts. Don't take any shit on this one, just get rid of it. It will be a huge bonus for you.

Just look at the amount of posts related to how many posts that person has made.

Ditch it. From experience.

Instead of a postcount everyone can see (maybe make it mod visible) how about something else displayed there?

I recommend having no status symbol at all. We also used to use a Star rating.. Your post count got you a certain number of stars. We ditched this too. Put everyone on equal ground. If you're around enough on the Forums, you'll know who's been here longer and who's not. It removes so many problems.

Just like if we ditched the Level symbols above our character heads. :D

Cypher_Psy
05-09-03, 01:08
Some post counts show who is sat at a computer all day and needs to get out more :P

Yes, reg date is more useful to a degree, as someone could have registered a long time ago but hardly posts (maybe as they are actually playing the game and not spamming the forum)

It is dissapointing when people's posts get quickly overlooked / flamed just because their count is low, it doesn't make their posts any less valid.
With a number to see, it gives some people with nothing better to do than work on getting as large a number as possible.

In short, however I am on the maybe front.

Instead of a postcount everyone can see (maybe make it mod visible) how about something else displayed there?
Something that other people can vote on, or is bestowed by mods?

Forseti
05-09-03, 01:10
Originally posted by Cypher_Psy
Something that other people can vote on, or is bestowed by mods?
For example, like the system used to rate threads?

@MrBane,
Odin is still in charge of the forums. Even though I'm lead mod, and I have full acces to the admin section I can't make such changes without his aproval. So, in the end, it's all up to him. ;)

MrBane
05-09-03, 01:12
As I mentioned in my Edit, honestly, don't have any form of recognition at all. It really does just put some people onto a rabid edge.

Anything that has to be bestowed by a Moderator or Community in general, will bring about ill-feelings of unfairness, biased natures and goodness knows what else.

I do speak from great experience on this one. :D

Shadow Dancer
05-09-03, 01:14
Originally posted by MrBane
As I mentioned in my Edit, honestly, don't have any form of recognition at all. It really does just put some people onto a rabid edge.

Anything that has to be bestowed by a Moderator or Community in general, will bring about ill-feelings of unfairness, biased natures and goodness knows what else.

I do speak from great experience on this one. :D

I totally agree.

Drake6k
05-09-03, 01:17
I've been on these forums for a year now... Never really spammed much. My goal was never to have a high post count... People know me more from the forums than the game it seems. "Anyone with over 1000 posts in the forums is well known in the community" someone told me. A lot of the stuff people think is spam is usualy harmless. Posts that only consist of ":rolleyes: " IS spam. I think a more fair way to fix a spam problem we may have is to delete those posts and give bigger warnings to the offenders. I'd feel less um... important and high on myself here if my count was gone. :(

MrBane
05-09-03, 01:21
On that note actually, the question of spam.. I have to say that these Forums, considering the nature of them, is actually incredibly lenient on spam, and posts which on OFPEC would have been locked, deleted and had the User warned within five minutes.

Some people on these Forums post complete and utter shite, and whilst I respect the Moderators job, because I know how it works, and what it involves, and the time it takes... Also because I know how they have to be wary about pushing away potential customers and what not, some people really should have been banned a long time ago, if for nothing else other than posting continual shite, abusive posts, and pointless threads and flames.

It's just time-wasting, on our part, and on the mods part that ultimately has to check every thread, every post...

True, there is the Ignore function, but when the use of it means that the majority of threads you read, are constantly broken with the Ignore box of the multitude of people you don't want to read, it gets a tad annoying.

Though I realise people are entitled to their say, it's amazing how many people waste their chance to voice their opinions on some derogatory or pointless post. Damn, some people need to get a grip.

Pitspawn
05-09-03, 01:38
Removing post count wont stop the spam. Showing a users post count to everyone merely aids to causing spam. Just be thankful the forums dont operate on a title/star rating based system, they cause even more spam than just pure numbers.

Getting rid of the post count might actually help though. I only ever want a high post count to prevent the usual assholes who point out your lack of forum activity when you make a statement about something. Since when the fuck has how many times someone posted on a forum dictate their wisdom about a game? I hate that BS. Removing the post count visually would prevent such situations from happening.

Cypher_Psy
05-09-03, 01:38
Well it seems a lot of people want the post count out of the window, and the rating idea was just that, an idea.

Just rip the post count, sit tight and watch the "omg post count nerf" threads :D
--

How about some more features on the board instead?
Like a "who else is reading this thread list"?

Just would like to see some more functionality on the boards *shrug*

QuantumDelta
05-09-03, 01:43
Kill it.

After all, there's no post count Back home either (http://forums.shatteredstar.com/) ;)

Drake6k
05-09-03, 01:44
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Kill it.

After all, there's no post count Back home either (http://forums.shatteredstar.com/) ;)

:eek: didnt see that coming

QuantumDelta
05-09-03, 01:46
I'm the same as Shadow Dancer over there, we post a lot, but it's not for the little numbers by the side of our names o_O

Shadow Dancer
05-09-03, 01:53
I only have 600 posts...............

QuantumDelta
05-09-03, 01:55
....And Arcadius.....? :PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Xian
05-09-03, 02:24
QD that is a stupid amount of tongues.

There are 16 people who have voted against removal.. any real reasons why?

Lareolan
05-09-03, 02:38
Yeah, get rid of it for sure. Far too many people say "STFU you n00b, you only have (insert number of posts here). Come back when you get some skills!" (Um... Posting skills?)

Too many little kids with way too big of an ego on this forum.

Xian
05-09-03, 02:43
Not just the kids who say that kind of stuff; I think you'll find many 'adults' resort to insults like that, too.

SirSensi
05-09-03, 03:31
I voted not sure cos Im really not sure... :D

Zokk
05-09-03, 03:35
TBH... if you removed it, I doubt I would notice.

KRIMINAL99
05-09-03, 03:35
If people want to make fun of someone for a stupid reason they will find or make up a reason... IMO there are alot of forum trolls on here that go around flaming peoples once a month well thought out posts 24/7 and they are the ones with high post counts... I really don't care either way

kurai
05-09-03, 03:46
Yes. Get rid of it.

I can see no real benefit to keeping it:-

All the count tells you is that someone talks a lot.
Says nothing about content or experience, or even sanity.

Several benefits to removing it :-

No more "I post X times more than you, so my opinion is X times more correcterererer ONOZ STFU n00B LE !!!oneone" nonsense
Also no more "+1 :random_smiley:" bollocks.

Edit: I note that there are virtually zero posts, despite quite a few "keep" votes, saying why removal would be bad.
That lack of constructive comment speaks volumes. :D

Helen Angilley
05-09-03, 03:48
Originally posted by kurai
No more "I post X times more than you, so my opinion is X times more correcterererer ONOZ STFU n00B LE !!!oneone" nonsense
Also no more "+1 :random_smiley:" bollocks.

Won't it just turn into "Post + 0" though? o_O

Shadow Dancer
05-09-03, 03:51
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Won't it just turn into "Post + 0" though? o_O

shh don't give them ideas.

kurai
05-09-03, 03:51
Won't it just turn into "Post + 0" though? o_O Less reason to do it though.
Let's face it - 'tards will be 'tards, no matter what, but removing an obvious counter/motivation for their idiocy is always a good idea.

Much the same as trolling - if no-one ever bothered replying, all but the most socially maladjusted bridge lurkers would sod off ;)

FirestarXL
05-09-03, 04:34
I've seen several boards remove the post count indicator, and after a few moans everything settles down. After all, the more outspoken people on the board will continue to be what they are, and will be recognised by what they say and not how much they say it (for the most part).

Besides, the original purpose of post count indicators was to stimulate activity on a board, by giving people titles based on how often they posted. Activity is not a problem here, so I don't see a loss! :p

Xian
05-09-03, 04:39
61% in favour so far on the German board. :)

ZoneVortex
05-09-03, 04:53
Hmmmmm

Don't get rid of it.

I like em...most forums have em and they're fun.

I see em as a status symbol, except when there's those spammers who have 5000 posts and have only been around for like, 3 months.

whatever though, i don't really care about em...

Xian
05-09-03, 05:12
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
Hmmmmm

Don't get rid of it.

I like em...most forums have em and they're fun.

I see em as a status symbol, except when there's those spammers who have 5000 posts and have only been around for like, 3 months.

whatever though, i don't really care about em...

That's the thing, they're a status symbol. Some people think that because someone with 5 posts is posting against them they're wrong because they have 5000 or something.

ZoneVortex
05-09-03, 05:48
Originally posted by Xian
That's the thing, they're a status symbol. Some people think that because someone with 5 posts is posting against them they're wrong because they have 5000 or something.

However, I more so use "Date Registered" as a status symbol. So ditch post count, keep date registered :D

Spectra260
05-09-03, 08:01
It doesint matter on how many posts counts you have... it matters on the quality of your posts.

Pork and beans!

KidWithStick
05-09-03, 08:01
i voted no...but i wouldnt mind that much...i just wouldnt be able to cop and paste that "neocron newbie" thing to people when they ask a dumb question:lol:

but thats probably why you guys are removing it..

KidWithStick
05-09-03, 08:02
ZoneVortex - Registered: September 2002

KidWithStick - Registered: August 2002

i r uberer'er...:D

{MD}GeistDamnit
05-09-03, 08:32
I could honestly care less

but why would it be needed? is the forum server filing ?

delete all old shit if that's the case. who cares :)

sl33py
05-09-03, 09:49
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
However, I more so use "Date Registered" as a status symbol. So ditch post count, keep date registered :D

I totally agree on that one :D

j/k ;) got better things to boost my ego with :rolleyes: :D

juvestar15
05-09-03, 09:59
Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Ditch the post count crap. :)

Mighty Max
05-09-03, 10:00
I voted no
Just cuz im that <-> little away from my 1000 :D with trying not to spamm around.

Date-Registeres as not reliable to measure "trustness" or "vetness" (maybe new words - dunno)

There have been a bunch of people at the start of open beta 4 that needed to be reregistered, or at the close to the public.

RuButt
05-09-03, 10:26
well

there is 3 post counts that actually counts for me

thoose are:

- but i dont care about post count, unless its one of the numbers above :p

djskum
05-09-03, 10:39
Kill post counts. No use at alll!

DjSKum

Itth
05-09-03, 10:44
whenever i get 1337 posts, feel free to kill them.

Breschau
05-09-03, 10:52
I don't even know what my post count is. Nor do I notice other people's post counts unless someone specifically points them out.

Having said that, I don't really care if they're there in the background. So I guess I'm voting Not Sure.

Archeus
05-09-03, 11:29
I actually have an insanely high post count on another board I post (www.boards.ie - I was one of the first on it when it started). However they also have a ratio marker.

So I used to get "no life" comments from muppets but the ratio just showed me at I think .2 posts a day, while they have 10 ratio.

So remove post counts (they mean nothing), a private ratio/post count for the mods though prehaps so they can see who the possible spammers are.

G.0.D.
05-09-03, 12:39
ONOZ U DONT!!!!

i need to break 1000 :(

\\Fényx//
05-09-03, 12:46
8|

o_O

:(

dont touch me post count :p

:lol:

hell at the end of the day I dont care, It's just something else for me and scikar to fight over :p

Sharak
05-09-03, 12:58
ditch the post counts

Brammers
05-09-03, 13:17
Never paid any attention to my post count. I just post something when I want to say something, if no-one has said it already (Usually)

I think the time you registered on the forums is probably more important than anything. I would probably pay more attention to a poster who's been here a long time talking about resisits, than maybe a new poster, but thats not a hard and fast rule for me!

[Edit] 263 posts, hmm thats not as many as I thought, I was expecting 500. Just another though - why not make the post count visable only to that user.

Peeping Tom
05-09-03, 13:18
dont ditch post counts for gm's\devs\ and kk staff rest dunt care
K4F

GT_Rince
05-09-03, 13:36
Yeah, remove it. Some peeps see this as a status symbol and try to get it as high as they can - this includes spam...

Nerf teh post counts :D

Lord Mansion
05-09-03, 13:47
I don't care about postcount.

Anyone who thinks they are "somebody" by having a high postcount should seek help as soon as possible.

*ph33r*
05-09-03, 15:42
Ya nerf the postcount... otherwise I'll get a perm ban next time for spamming.... I'm becoming a regular at Bancamp™ :D :(

ZoneVortex
05-09-03, 15:56
Originally posted by sl33py
I totally agree on that one :D

j/k ;) got better things to boost my ego with :rolleyes: :D

Meh it's not an ego booster, it's more like......

I see someone with a "HELP ME !!" thread. I see their date registered. They registered yesterday. I don't know how to help them because I've never heard of this problem. Along comes some person with Date Registered June 2001. They've been around for quite some time. I'm going to assume their solution is a good one.

I dunno it's all pointless really!

Spoon
05-09-03, 16:37
What's the big deal about post counts?
Leave them alone, aint you got more important things to do?
I'm paying to use this forum, right?
Remember that......

Forseti
05-09-03, 16:49
Originally posted by Spoon
I'm paying to use this forum, right?
Remember that......
Erm, no...
The forum is an extra service from Reakktor towards its customers. You do not pay to use this forum.

QuantumDelta
05-09-03, 16:56
99% of Gaming companies will tell you the same thing ;)

Lord Mansion
05-09-03, 16:59
What's the big deal about post counts?
Leave them alone, aint you got more important things to do?

I have no idea why this poll was setup, I have not seen any customers complain about postcounts.

Forseti
05-09-03, 17:07
Like I said in my first post:

The outcome of the poll is just some info for the mod team
The discussion came up among the mods, so I thought to get the opinion of the community.

QuantumDelta
05-09-03, 17:11
Originally posted by Lord Mansion
I have no idea why this poll was setup, I have not seen any customers complain about postcounts.

Most moderators and forum admins, come to the conclusion that "spam" is due to people wishing to increase their postcount.

Whilst, this is normally true for people with mid-level post counts, normally the people at the top end of the forum, are just up there because they're chatty/it's their post style.
It's not really spam, it's that they're more active/have been around longer, than anyone else.

Spoon
05-09-03, 17:16
Originally posted by Forseti
Erm, no...
The forum is an extra service from Reakktor towards its customers. You do not pay to use this forum.

How's that?
I have to be a paying customer to post in Community Talk, I could only post in the Newbie Forum, if I wasn't a paying customer...o_O
I consider it a package deal, it's a place where players can exchange infomation and ideas, without a forum, you would think a game that is a MMORPG would be fux0ered without an information source, we call a forum.
Sure, you could have one without the other, but you would lose customers because they would be clueless and not up to date on infomation that this game requires, alot of the info you get ingame tends to be conflicting or highly opinionated.

@Lord Mansion
Apparently some people suffer from post count envy, but I don't think getting rid of the post count is going to reduce spam.
I have never been on a forum that removed post counts from the user info, this would be a first.

@Forseti
So have you and the other mods even run this idea by KK?
Are you sure that KK would approve?

Forseti
05-09-03, 17:19
@Forseti
So have you and the other mods even run this idea by KK?
Are you sure that KK would approve?
I never said that we would remove the post count, we just want to know the community's view on this subject.
Depending on the outcome, I may or may not talk to Odin to discuss this.

enablerbr
05-09-03, 17:22
lol. so Odin's still the ball & chain round here.:)

jernau
05-09-03, 17:27
I tend to agree with Spoon that the forum is a part of the game I am paying for.

As long as KK release patch info, news, bug warnings, etc., etc. EXCLUSIVELY on this forum it will be an integral part of the game.

Just because 99% of the content is irrelevant or unnoficial doesn't detract from the fact anyone who doesn't at least read these forums is going to be screwed in-game.

If KK provided and fully utilised a usable in-game forum and email system they could say that these forums are not part of the package but they don't so they can't IMO.

/edit :

Originally posted by enablerbr
lol. so Odin's still the ball & chain round here.:)

Björn "Forseti" Waumans ... "I am the law, if that's OK with Odin." :lol:

No offence Forseti, I couldn't resist.

Rizzy
05-09-03, 17:41
Couldn't care less :p

Nidhogg
05-09-03, 17:44
Well, considering that Odin is Reakktor's Head of International Support and the rest of us are volunteers, it kinda follows that Odin is the boss. No big surprise there. o_O

With regards to the topic at hand, any changes we make will only made with the express purpose of improving the service and will only be performed with Reakktor's approval. If you consider the forums to be a part of the game then they would fall under the game's rules which permit KK to make changes at any time. Either way, it's difficult to argue that the loss of your post-count would detract from your ability to enjoy the game.

However, the topic of the thread is post counts so stay on it please. Thanks.

N

hinch
05-09-03, 17:55
every other forum i use has postcounts removed mainly due to encouraging spam

you think this forum is bad you should see the PA forums :eek:
people with 20,000 posts and spam threads that get upto 40 pages long inside of about 30 mins even though theres 50 posts a page on thre as opposed to the 15 here.

now thats spammy cunts it aint quite so bad here

one solution would just be to make a pure spam forum section where people can go and spam to raise posts counts etc but enforce strict rules outside of there

jernau
05-09-03, 18:06
Originally posted by Nidhogg
Either way, it's difficult to argue that the loss of your post-count would detract from your ability to enjoy the game.

Not my meaning at all but not On Topic either so....

Back on topic - Having read through this I'd like to put in a few things that occured to me :

1) No-one is going to post "don't do that, I live to spam" (OK, a few might :wtf: but not many ) so don't expect them to. The problem is though that whether you like it or not they enjoy spamming.

2) A lot of people dislike other peoples play-style in game (PK/RP/whatever) but they have to live with it due to the nature of the game. In a sense spam is a part of forums and so are post-counts, trolls, flamers, idiots, etc and we should live with them too. All need to be controlled but as long as they don't get out of hand I don't see the problem. I rather enjoy reading a lot of the silly threads and I suspect the Mods do too based on some of their closing comments.

3) Neocron is a game of domination, it brings out people's competitive natures, for better or worse. You can't expect that competition to vanish when they come on the forums and post-counts seem a pretty harmless form of willy-waving to me.

4) To most people they don't matter but to some they do. Why upset those who care by removing them? If they are clearly spamming to boost their count then it's easy to punish them by resetting that count (hit them where it hurts).

In brief - the more I think about it the more I think "what harm do they do?". Odin recently commented on how pleased he was with the forums these days. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good motto IMO.

Shadow Dancer
05-09-03, 18:32
Oh jesus what the hell is the big deal with post counts? Do you really need to see the number of times you've replied during your duration here?

\\Fényx//
05-09-03, 18:34
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Oh jesus what the hell is the big deal with post counts? Do you really need to see the number of times you've replied during your duration here?

says the king of teh post count's himself :p hell you even have TWO active accounts, o_O

[Edit] I KNOW i have 2 accounts myself... o_O one of them's frm my forum ban evasion and is currently still banned I think. :D

Spoon
05-09-03, 19:18
Do you really need to see the number of times you've replied during your duration here?

It helps me to determine whether to contribute or not to a particular thread or topic sometimes....

Example #1:
Player A/reg. Jan 2003/# of posts 3, starts a thread entitled "OMG, OMG nerf teh monkehs!!!111".

That would tell me that this person has been around awhile, but doesn't come to the forum much(or just lurks) or at least post on it, when it comes to other subjects and maybe they're just here to start shit.
Granted they may have some valid points and I would check it out, but I'd be more likely to ignore it, especially if they end up not really responding to the thread and discussing it.

Player B/reg. Jan 2003/# of posts 10+, starts a thread entitled "OMG, OMG nerf teh monkehs!!!111".
I'd probably be more likely to contribute to this thread, since the starter has actually bothered to discuss, debate or back up their opinion, and has stuck around long enough to get input from other people.

Example #2:
Player A/reg. Jan 2003/# of posts 2, starts a thread entitled "Check my uber 3rd party program".

Player B/reg. Jan 2003/# of posts 10+, starts a thread entitled , "Check my uber 3rd party program".

Which would you download?....o_O

The post count sometimes helps me determine how far I am will to go in helping someone, ie; digging through old threads and looking up info on the internet, and remember, I said sometimes, not always.....

Nidhogg
05-09-03, 19:28
Example #2:
Player A/reg. Jan 2003/# of posts 2, starts a thread entitled "Check my uber 3rd party program".

Player B/reg. Jan 2003/# of posts 10+, starts a thread entitled , "Check my uber 3rd party program".

Which would you download?....o_O

The corollary to this is that any 3rd-party programs posted on the Newbie board (open to all) are deleted upon sight, and not many outsiders will go to the trouble of buying the game to post it on the main boards. It's still the best argument in favour of post counts I've seen yet though.

N

Lexxuk
05-09-03, 19:47
I say get rid of it, but only coz certain mods cant accuse u of tryin to boost ur post count :rolleyes:

Krll
05-09-03, 19:49
Loss of post count wouldn't bother me too much.

I'll freely admit that I've spammed a lot in the past, but it was because I was just genuinely having a laugh rather than trying to boost post count. I'm past that phase now and always think twice before posting. :)

-Krll

Judge
05-09-03, 20:07
I don't give a damn about post count.... I will listen to people no matter what their post count is. I say remove it, but I wouldn't mind if you didn't :p

jernau
05-09-03, 20:28
Spoon's examples made me think of a few times it's been useful to me :

eg1 - A noted PITA claims not to be a PITA. I have nothing better to do and notice that they have only 50 posts so I quickly scan them all and can now prove they are indeed a *&@#er.

eg2 - A debate is raging over a particular aspect of the game that has been argued back and forth forever. Most of the participants are "vets" when someone I've never heard of appears. They could be a total noob, a player from before my time that avoids the forums now, a german player who doesn't come on the UK side much or a lot of other things. Post count and regd. date at least give out a few clues.

eg3 - Someone posts sarcastically about a "feature" (bug) that's been common knowledge for ages. Are they driven to sarcasm by months of frustration or a newbie in need of a little help.

All these cases are trivial and in each case you could check their Profile but that takes longer and it's easier to just ignore it and move on without helping the noob, listening to the "vet"'s POV or politley flaming the troll :D.

Ascension
05-09-03, 21:57
For example, like the system used to rate threads?

@MrBane,
Odin is still in charge of the forums. Even though I'm lead mod, and I have full acces to the admin section I can't make such changes without his aproval. So, in the end, it's all up to him. ;)

Why not have stars after a certain ammount of posts? more of a target then a post indicator:)

Duder
05-09-03, 22:01
Originally posted by Ascention
Why not have stars after a certain ammount of posts? more of a target then a post indicator:)

Why, so people will spam even more to have higher stars, thinking that now all their opinions matter?

Ascension
05-09-03, 22:04
Originally posted by Duder
Why, so people will spam even more to have higher stars, thinking that now all their opinions matter?

After That though, get rid of it;) am still a lil knackerd from my flight back from ibiza:D

REMUS
05-09-03, 23:58
i dont know i sometimes take it as a measure of their experiance, but sometimes thats just plain BS, so i voted not sure, becuase i dont care if it stays or if it goes ;)

although posts consisting of a fucking smile, for some reason anoyy me?

:rolleyes:

Shadow Dancer
06-09-03, 00:14
:p

\\Fényx//
06-09-03, 01:15
:p

jesus arc nowonder with posts like that you were on like 500 posts 10 hours ago and are now on 610 o_O

greendonkeyuk
06-09-03, 02:12
dont you just love the sarcasm of single similes.

ok back on topic.

When youre new to a forum you do sometimes feel a little "green" shall we say. I know i did, when you see people with huuuuuuuge post counts and youve got like 2 or something. Sometimes you do feel tempted to write some stuff just to bump it up. Hell i did too. Having said that, some people with really low post counts can also come up with more rounded ideas as theyve thought about em for longer. I think it depends on what you use the forums for, and probably the kind mood youre in whilst posting.

Personally i used to use the forums at work, to get me through a day, because i hated my job so badly. Ive since left that job, 2 weeks ago. In taking time out from work ive hardly come to the forums at all. Ive checked the thread titles and if nothing grabbed my eye id leave again. Recently the time i woulda maybe spent on the forums ive been on nc instead, been pretty productive actually.

In short as its been said already by marx and a few others post counts can give an impression of someone. Its human nature to take all available info on a person for the 1st impression. i think removing the post count would remove one piece of information that we use to clarify a perception of another person. this can be a good thing in that we may take others views more seriously instead of seeing a post count of 11 and thinkin bleh noob!

It could also be a bad thing in that serial spammers(tm) could go unchecked. But then again, thats why there are mods.

Im rambling because im drunk. please dont hate me. :p

Remove the post count

ericdraven
06-09-03, 03:55
While i do not care about my personal postcount (therefore you won't find stupid "+1" replies from me o_O ), i do look at the postcount of other people (in conjunction with the registry date).

It can give you some ideas about the persons personality / experience..

Spoon made a few good examples how to do so.

I don't know why some people have to spam JUST to increase their count. A high postcount must not necessarily mean that the person is more competent than someone with a low postcount (no Arc, i am not saying that you are not competent.. :) :p )

Therefore i voted no. *shrugs*
The postcount doesn't hurt me, spam neither, and i don't think notorious spammers will stop when the postcount gets removed.

t0tt3
07-09-03, 00:58
hehehe so why did arcadius went over to Shadow dancer ?
Well..... post counts, blamed as spamming hoe. He bring the NC community loads of ideas and such things which is good.....

If we had 9 more Arc:s then KK would be in deep gratitude!

ericdraven
07-09-03, 04:23
Originally posted by t0tt3
If we had 9 more Arc:s then KK would be in deep gratitude!

No no, Arc is unique, there CAN BE ONLY ONE! :p

Heavyporker
07-09-03, 19:28
Bah, My sheer plenthora of ideas eclipse the mind of Arcadius!

Plus I spell better and wield grammar with the precision of a surgeon! So there.

Q`alooaith
07-09-03, 21:58
Points to rating system..

X2 bords, which have a rating system.. (http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewforum.php?f=2)

Sorry not a realy good example, but the way it work is, you get a Thumb rating for each reply to a thread, this can be null, one thumb up, two thumbs up, one thumb down, two thumbs down..

Well anyway, the rating system is based about this idea, it's not how much you post, but the quality of the post..

Whitestuff
07-09-03, 23:54
Yeah I say get rid of it. It doesn't mean anything accept..... When the # is high, it means that you spend more time here than in game. :p

Q`alooaith
08-09-03, 01:05
Originally posted by WhiteKrAkRBOi
Yeah I say get rid of it. It doesn't mean anything accept..... When the # is high, it means that you spend more time here than in game. :p

I resent that, I spend 45% of my free time on the forums, and 45% of my free time in game, leaving 10% of my free time for eating and sleeping..

SypH
08-09-03, 02:10
Post counts mean squat. I'm on a forum whos top poster has over 30k posts....and he hasnt even been there a year. He's a twat so post count doesnt make him any more important.

djskum
08-09-03, 13:53
Originally posted by SypH
Post counts mean squat. I'm on a forum whos top poster has over 30k posts....

LOL, did he write "How to waste your life in one easy step"?

DjSKum

Q`alooaith
08-09-03, 15:23
Originally posted by djskum
LOL, did he write "How to waste your life in one easy step"?

DjSKum

You don't have to wast your life to get many thousands of posts, take note that there's no date of when the forum when online, if a certain other forum kept track of postcounts, I'm sure I'd be well into the 100K post mark now, but then I've been posting on it for almost seven years...

Benjie
08-09-03, 16:31
^
Thats why. Remove posts per day aswell.

redjacket
08-09-03, 18:01
Originally posted by ericdraven
No no, Arc is unique, there CAN BE ONLY ONE! :p and we must all thank whatever deity you worship for that one...

im here to make a stand for the post count... the postcount is indeed uber and makes some people feel special... I used to feel special, before i got outspammed by that HACK acradius and his she-male account Shadow Dancer!

DAMN HIM AND HIS LOVE MONKEYS!

eh... postcount IS just a number, but it makes me feel all uber inside... or at least, it used to... granted... i'm still in the top 5 baby... and I don't even post anymore...

i just would like to add that cheese in fact the coolest thing on the planet right next to cream corn, the song "Whip It" by Devo, and the name "Polk Audio"

Cass
08-09-03, 20:26
I am curious about the community's opinion about post count.
Do you see it as your status symbol in this community? or is it just some number?

Just some number that encourages various ass clowns to do this +1 bullshit.

I'd rather see, like I've seen on some other forums, a way to rate other forum users. They'd have 1-5 star rankings just like we can currently rank whole threads.

Mingerroo
08-09-03, 22:07
Originally posted by Marx
its nothing important.

+1 !!!

j/k

:lol: made me laugh. But I voted to keep post count, I don't see it as a status symbol it is just a reminder that I spend too much time on this game :)

[edit] Perhaps users could rate other users? That way we would see a much more realistic representation of the top notch members of our community.

QuantumDelta
08-09-03, 22:34
I actually hate +1 Syndrome, it detracts from people like myself.
I am on these forums a lot, and when I do have a bad day, or something has made me extremely irritable, when people are debating something I really feel about, and especially when they do it in certain ways, I tend to get a bit heated, and hense my huge post count.

For want of a better word, I love this game, I love it's potential, I love it's PvP, I love the storyline, that I can see, even if others can't.
I get a lot out of it, and there are certain things I do not want to change.

When I get into a heated debate, I don't let it go until;
A) They admit they're wrong, or prove, undeniably, they're right(this rarely happens because most things on this oppinion are posted in matter of oppinion, which, of course, isn't provable, as oppinions, are not facts).
B) I deem it pointless to continue (EG: Person is too ignorant/arrogent/retarded to grasp the concept).

Yes, I'm EXTREMELY Stubborn, but I will back down if someone comes up with a reasoned, mature and acceptible argument.

Helen Angilley
08-09-03, 22:36
A rating system for members of the forum would make Elitism far wose than post counts.

QuantumDelta
08-09-03, 22:41
Heh, I don't ever care what my ratings are :p

BlackDove
09-09-03, 02:52
I tend to get a bit heated

:wtf: :p

Cass
09-09-03, 09:22
A rating system for members of the forum would make Elitism far wose than post counts.

In your mind, the problem with post counts is elitism? I guess you're right, to a degree. A lot of these morons who do the dumb +1 posts are just trying to up their post counts because they think it makes them look better in some way. So, since you have a higher post count does that make you more elite than me? :rolleyes: Or are you just worried that everyone would give you a low rating? :lol:

But seriously, how would it be worse? The idea of getting rid of the post count is to stop people from doing pointless posts +1 posts and stuff like that. Maybe you don't fully understand what I'm saying, or have never seen it in action.

At the top of everyone's reply... where it says
http://neocron.jafc.de/images/profile.gif http://neocron.jafc.de/images/sendpm.gif http://neocron.jafc.de/images/find.gif http://neocron.jafc.de/images/buddy.gif
There'd be another button saying "Rate User". Everyone has the ability to rate the user like we can currently rate entire threads. 1-5 stars. You can only have one rating per other user, but it can be changed. The average of everyone's ratings for UserX is UserX's visible rating. I've seen this in action on other message boards, and it works nicely.

Might be a problem for someone who gives a shit that someone else is considered more "elite" than they are. I see your point.

Personally, I don't give a shit either way. I'd be just as happy if they stopped letting us do custom avatars and signatures, made all forum bans permanent, deleted all off-topic threads and posts, and made it a pure discussion forum to advance the game and community. Handle it like a business, you know. It is a business after all.

leethasbro
09-09-03, 10:06
Tyler Durden said it best. "You are not your fucking postcount."

Well, he didn't... But he would have!

Helen Angilley
09-09-03, 12:08
I'm not bothered about peoples' opinions of me, as you've probably seen, but I do care when people start with the "Oh I have so many posts, I'm 1337. Piss of n00b" attitude.

With a rating system it'll just turn into "Oh look, I have so many friends because I have five stars. I am 1337. Piss off n00b".

MrBane
09-09-03, 12:46

*Starts working furiously on something*

Q`alooaith
10-09-03, 14:28
I'm not bothered about peoples' opinions of me, as you've probably seen, but I do care when people start with the "Oh I have so many posts, I'm 1337. Piss of n00b" attitude.

With a rating system it'll just turn into "Oh look, I have so many friends because I have five stars. I am 1337. Piss off n00b".

It don't work like that..

I've been on forums with a system like this.. But where you can be rated per post, can't be changed untill the person posts again..

So somone who makes a lot of shit threads and calls everyone n00bs will soon start getting bad ratings if they make stupid posts..

It means people who post a lot have to make good posts with a clear point. And also means people can't just get pissed at you and vote you bad, because you only get to vote when they post a thread..

So thread ratings would affect user ratings.. So less spam, more clear thought out ideas..

Shadow Dancer
10-09-03, 17:47
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
It don't work like that..

I've been on forums with a system like this.. But where you can be rated per post, can't be changed untill the person posts again..

So somone who makes a lot of shit threads and calls everyone n00bs will soon start getting bad ratings if they make stupid posts..

It means people who post a lot have to make good posts with a clear point. And also means people can't just get pissed at you and vote you bad, because you only get to vote when they post a thread..

So thread ratings would affect user ratings.. So less spam, more clear thought out ideas..

Still sounds elitist. There could be someone with an unpopular opinion that i'm sure will be rated as bad as a troller or spammer even if they aren't. Look at the outrageous reactions against me when I made an anti-ppu thread. Yea right. Remove all types of "ratings stars, counts, symbols, etc....."

I hope to god post counts are removed.

J. Folsom
11-09-03, 15:08
Personally, I don't consider them to add anything to the forums, while it can be amusing to have a post count which end up being 1337-speak, it's not really something worth keeping.

I'd prefer if registration date was kept though, while it's often inaccurate on when someone started, it can at least give you some basic idea about when someone started. It might turn out to be wrong later on; but it's better then being left completely blank...
Of course, it'd still give people something which proves they're more "elite" then the rest, but at least it's not something which can be changed due to spamming.

jernau
11-09-03, 15:37
Nothing wrong being elitist.

All men are most certainly NOT created equal. Anyone who says they are is an idiot.

It stands to reason therefore that all trolls are not created equal.

The only problem (in this context) is people who think post count alone determines your abilities and the value of your comments.

QuantumDelta
11-09-03, 18:22
I too hate elistism, even though I have a habit of forcing myself to compete with people who have such view points, I walk that line a lot.

Worst Kind of elitism is Exclusive elitism, this can be seen in emotional abuse victims a lot, I swear, the elitist people are the most insecure there is.

hinch
11-09-03, 18:30
we need the warcraft mod installing that way we can rate people on mana xp etc

it also means that if someones a bitch and needs to be slapped down we can all attack them :) (lo helen)

Q`alooaith
11-09-03, 19:05
Still sounds elitist. There could be someone with an unpopular opinion that i'm sure will be rated as bad as a troller or spammer even if they aren't. Look at the outrageous reactions against me when I made an anti-ppu thread. Yea right. Remove all types of "ratings stars, counts, symbols, etc....."

I hope to god post counts are removed.

No no no no no...

It'd be an averate, you'd get the chance to rate the topic starter when you post in their thread.. and another chance the next time they post a thread you reply to..

The ratings would be;
Very Good..
Good..
Average..
Poor..

note no very poor rating, and then you average out all the ratings, and tadaa, you get a rating...

This gives a rating based on how the average forum user rates your posts and ideas..
It might lead to some posting a lot to try and get a good old rating, but it'd also mean spamers would soon find a poorer rating..

Also less dependate on how people like you, since they have to post in your threads to get to vote..

Shadow Dancer
11-09-03, 20:08
Originally posted by Q`alooaith

It'd be an averate, you'd get the chance to rate the topic starter when you post in their thread.. and another chance the next time they post a thread you reply to..

The ratings would be;
Very Good..
Good..
Average..
Poor..

note no very poor rating, and then you average out all the ratings, and tadaa, you get a rating...

This gives a rating based on how the average forum user rates your posts and ideas..
It might lead to some posting a lot to try and get a good old rating, but it'd also mean spamers would soon find a poorer rating..

Also less dependate on how people like you, since they have to post in your threads to get to vote..

You basically repeated what I said. A system like this would be horrible. UGH i swear I hope it never comes into effect. People rating other people? ugh.

ericdraven
11-09-03, 20:20
You basically repeated what I said. A system like this would be horrible. UGH i swear I hope it never comes into effect. People rating other people? ugh.
Afraid of bad ratings?

Shadow Dancer
11-09-03, 20:21
Afraid of bad ratings?

No, i'm afraid of abuse.

ericdraven
11-09-03, 20:25
No, i'm afraid of abuse.
Afraid of someone abusing you? ;)

Shadow Dancer
11-09-03, 20:27
Afraid of someone abusing you? ;)

I'm afraid of general abuse.

Cass
11-09-03, 22:15
All due respect, guys.

How would it be abused? Would some wanker go around rating everyone he sees as "poor"? Keep in mind he can only rate every other person once, not once per thread. I, for one, would only rate people if they deserved an excellent or whatever. So would most people. So the "most" people who rate people "positively" would offset the small percentage of wankers who have nothing to do but go around and rate everyone "poor". I'd say "problem solved" but there never was a problem to begin with.

I wish I could find a message board that used this. Seems there's some kinda misunderstanding, and only when you've seen / used the system will you understand. After that, I expect 90% of the people to be FOR it, or NEUTRAL to it, because there's really no reason to be AGAINST it.

From Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=elitism)
é·lit·ism - The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources. I guess I'm an elitist. I feel that certain users of these Neocron forums "deserve favored treatment (higher rating, nothing else) by virtue of their intellect (contributions to these forums)". I like elitism as it pertains to this discussion. If someone continually posts great threads and responses, and gets multiple "excellent" ratings, thereby raising their overall rating, I want to see that. That person's replies would be visually flagged by the message boards as ones I'd want to read. The guys who have low ratings are the guys I'd generally want to NOT read their posts, because they usually just talk out their ass.

And I'll say it again, more bluntly this time. If you're concerned about your definition of "elitism" then you must be concerned that someone else would have a higher rating than you. No?? If you didn't, you wouldn't care if the rating system was added or not. And like I said before, I really don't care if it's added or not. I think it would be a nice addition, though. If you're concerned that some of your posts might get you rated "poor" then you need to stop posting shit posts. If you post constructive posts, then your rating WILL raise, and you WILL DESERVE the higher rating and recognition. And the small percentage of wankers who go around rating everyone "poor" for the hell of it are not even an ussue.

The Post Count = bad = because it's controlled by the user himself
Rating System = good = because it's controlled by everyone BUT the user himself.

/edit - "I'm waiting to be impressed" is from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Where's my cookie? :D

Shadow Dancer
12-09-03, 08:18
Originally posted by Cass
If you're concerned that some of your posts might get you rated "poor" then you need to stop posting shit posts.

"I think holy paralysis should be removed"

*suddenly gets tons of ppus rating him poor and calling him a troll*

Like I said, horrid system. Too many people here are biased and let their emotions get the best of them. I'd rather have ALL forms of "rank" in any shape or manner removed. I wish it was just a name there and that's it.

Doc Holliday
12-09-03, 12:05
too many people are classed as noobs on the forums and opinions ignored in posts just like in game. Its a numbers game.....

But its interesting to see how many spammers are out there.

ericdraven
12-09-03, 12:22
Originally posted by Cass

Excellent post, Cass!
(no need to quote his whole post again tho, i am no spammer :p )

QuantumDelta
12-09-03, 16:34
Maybe I should make this a little bit clearer for you Cass.

From Dictionary.com
é·lit·ism - The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

Elitism is normally manufactured souly by the people who call themselves elitist, and it's normally exclusive to the point of harm of others.

Elitism, in itself, is a nice way for insecure people shift themselves higher than others, and elitism can be about stupid things.

In Kids at school;
Who has a better lunchbox? who has a better backpack?

In Adults at work;
Who has the nicer car? Who has a better credit situation (no matter how it was gained)?

Meanwhile the real elitists are the worst, the ones who actually have a classifiable reason to put themselves above someone else... Superior Intellect, Superior Faith, Superior Power(Political or otherwise)...
It's people like that, the uncaring people who have brains, or religious ..."righteousness" or political/social power, who exploit and push others around, 99% of the time, this is because they're driven by the strongest thing to influence them of all - their own insecurities and issues.
Elistism is one of the worst terms, and concepts I have ever known, and I hate it, I hate the people that think they're it.

Mainly, because, quite simply, of how small minded, insecure, weak and pathetic they really are once you take their toys away.
...And it can be done so easily...

So think about it a little more before you declare yourself an elitist.

Shadow Dancer
12-09-03, 19:26
haha I couldn't have explained it better QD.

Cass
12-09-03, 22:06
Elitism is normally manufactured souly by the people who call themselves elitist, and it's normally exclusive to the point of harm of others. Are you telling me that only malicious people practice elitism to cause harm to others? Elitism in your mind is a purely negative thing, when it actually is not. By the same Dictionary.com definition you so graciously quoted from me, that could be applied ACCURATELY to just about anything that didn't have malicious intent, such as Governments, Fortune 500 companies, the Red Cross, Churches, Boy Scout Troops, even underwater basket weaving clubs. I think you have it confused with egotism (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=egotism).

Besides that, isn't this whole fucking game about elitism? Which clan deserves recognition for being the best RPers. PK'ers, OP takers, money makers? Hey that kinda rhymes. No really, think about that. If you and I started a new clan tomorrow, recruited 10 people to do nothing but make vehicles for 60 days straight. We never killed mobs, we never PvP'd, never even went into the wastelands, and never even talked to anyone but ourselves. We'd be the richest clan on any of the servers in a short time. We'd then, by definition, be considered an elite clan as far as money goes. Where was the malicious intent? There wasn't any. People would be totally fine with all of us and just know that we're an elite clan with a shitload of cash. Now if we were egotistical on top of it, people would hate us. We'd be a bunch of elite assholes instead of just plain elite.

Elistism is one of the worst terms, and concepts I have ever known, and I hate it, I hate the people that think they're it. In Kids at school; Who has a better lunchbox? who has a better backpack? In Adults at work; Who has the nicer car? Who has a better credit situation (no matter how it was gained)?
I agree, insofar as the context that people are trying to use it here. I'm not the one who first used the phrase "elitist" in this thread. Notice I said "your definition" (Helen) of elitist above. I don't even think it should have been used in the first place, because I don't even think elitism in any definition is that big a deal. Elitism and egotism are a belief, not a tangible object. If someone can't control their own mind and beliefs than I have serious empathy for them, and suggest professional help. I think people who are worried about "who's lunchbox is better" or "who's car is better" might have low self esteem, whereas the people with the better lunchbox or better car might just DESERVE it because they earned it (well, in some cases). If what you're really concerned with is cockiness and people thinking they're superior because they have more stuff (egotism), so what? We have the ability to say "hey, that person's a cocky egotist (not elitist)" and dismiss it all together. And if the "non-elite" (non-egotistical) are not able to dismiss, it might be because of their own insecurities. If anyone feels like they're less of a person because Joey has a better lunchbox, or because Bob has a better car, then the issue is not elitism, its the feeling of inferiority, and that is the same mentality that those "add 3 inches to your penis" emails prey on.

Mainly, because, quite simply, of how small minded, insecure, weak and pathetic they really are once you take their toys away....And it can be done so easily... So think about it a little more before you declare yourself an elitist. .....
Take my "toys" away, I don't give a fuck. LOL. I don't even have any. I only called myself an elitist to point out that the word was too vague and used in the wrong context. In my definition of elitism, I'll say I'm an elitist till the cows come home. And like I've said twice before, I couldn't care less if it was added or not, so your "...And it can be done so easily..." doesn't mean a thing to me. And the fact of the matter is, EVERYONE on this board is "small minded, insecure, weak or pathetic" to some extent. Some people just don't want to be in their face, which I can respect (by adding a rating system it might just compound their own insecurities in their own mind, because oh look, Joey has a better lunchbox, what am I going to do?)

"I think holy paralysis should be removed"
*suddenly gets tons of ppus rating him poor and calling him a troll*
Like I said, horrid system. Too many people here are biased and let their emotions get the best of them. I'd rather have ALL forms of "rank" in any shape or manner removed. I wish it was just a name there and that's it. Shadow, I wasn't trying to single out you with that statement. I'm speaking in general. And I'm with you - like I've said three times before now, I couldn't care less if they added this or not. I even went so far as to say if they even stopped letting us use custom avatars and sigs I'd be just as happy (or happier). Hell I honestly wouldn't care if they banned me from the fucker, although I see absolutely no grounds. My whole point is that people cite "elitism" or "abuse" and those are not an issue, in my mind. The real issue is egotism, and we can't do anything about that; these MF'ers are everywhere and you can't talk sense to them because they always know better than you. What the fuck ever, you KNOW KK ain't gonna add this after all this back-and-forth posting... I just like to have intelligent arguments with people and hope they don't take it personally. It's in my nature. :D:D:D You do have a valid point, tho, I could see how that could be a wrench in the works. Perhaps something as simple as disabling the rating feature in Brainport would solve this.

QuantumDelta
12-09-03, 23:21
You argue well.

It seems, as with most things in reality, (like on that list I made above, religion, politics, etc), elitism is dependant on point of view, while you credit yourself as an elitist, you are trying not to act exclusive.

The problem is, in ...most of the people I know, elitism = Exclusivity, Exclusivity is, in itself a form of abuse to those excluded.

Of course my clan has the ideal of Equality, no one is excluded (in hopes, we do try)...
We have people who are naturally more capable of mastering a game than others, of course, and we have people who are better at different types of jobs / genres than others, that doesn't mean much.
It's not even the most skilled or most capable player of the game who ends up as the Divisional Admin (Repesentative).

Almost any form of elitism, is bad.
Simply because it has a tendancy to leave some people in what may seem a less advantaged situation.

It leads to bias.
It leads to disreguard.
It leads to carelessness.

More often than not, anyway, you may, personally not fall into any of these things.
However the elitists I know are almost exclusively the type that land themselves in the Egotist group too.

I'm not really sure I can go into things like examples using religion but I know they're there.

You've convinced me otherwise for yourself, but most people at the very least pity others, which is derogatory in and of itself.

jernau
13-09-03, 02:30
You argue well.

He does, I almost responded twice to your post but didn't. I am glad I left it to Cass now.

I can't resist throwing in a few comments now the thread is so far off course :

Almost any form of elitism, is bad.
Simply because it has a tendancy to leave some people in what may seem a less advantaged situation.
The fact is some people are disadvantaged. That's a fact of life and an unavoidable consequence of nature. It's the driving force behind evolution and without it none of us would be here to have this discussion.

It leads to bias.
It leads to disreguard.
It leads to carelessness.
These are consequences of greed and selfishness and not elitism. Greed is not limited to the capable or to the incapable, it exists at all levels of whatever scale you choose.

However the elitists I know are almost exclusively the type that land themselves in the Egotist group too.
That's a shame. It's also largely a matter of perception. If you take an aggresively equalitarian stand-point you will always have a problem around those who take a more realistic view of the world.

most people at the very least pity others, which is derogatory in and of itself.
How is pitying those lacking intellect any different from pitying those lacking food or healthcare. I'd rather die of starvation than lose my mind.

Personally I'd not badge my self "elitist" though if I were asked I would accept the tag willingly.