PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport type idea thing] - Medals

jernau
04-09-03, 18:48
I'm guessing a load of people here played Tie Fighter and/or X-Wing at some point. Remember the medal cabinet? I'd like to see something like that but more developed.

To explain :
Missions that can be run to earn "titles", "awards", "medals", etc. These medals wouldn't be physical items necessarily - entries in the CityTerm would be better so anyone could see them when they look at your info.

There could be many types of mission, for example :
Basic : An NPC needs a selection of items collected, another NPC killed, etc. These missions would be player level dependent so for example a Level 10-20 runner may have to kill that unique mob at Point Red whereas a Level60+ would have to collect an energy soulblade. By preference the kills themselves should be needed, not just the items.

Compound : Similar to ERs these would have multiple parts and tell small stories for example providing back-story to places like the Graves or Regents Legacy.

GM Run : Special rewards given to runners or clans who organise or participate in Special Quests. eg. put a hack-box somewhere in TH and give a CA clan one hour to collect the contents. These missions would then become part of the larger game-story.

Time related : Similar to basic but only available for a few days/weeks to fit in with Neocronical (or other) stories. eg an NPC that needs you to gather evidence on a bombing in NC. To do this you have to find and speak to a dozen other NPCs before the time is up to collect clues and then return to the first NPC with the answer to the puzzle.

Bounty Hunting : Post bounties for runners, played by volunteers or GMs somewhere (not where the whole server will find it) and award points to runners who kill them. Once you have killed enough bounties (say 10) you get a medal from the NCPD. Some bounties could be "dead or alive" and some "alive only" for the LE runners - if you open trade on the target he gives you an item to return to the NPC to prove you got him.

I'm sure others can think of more and better ideas if they put their minds to it. In fact that would probably be the best way to do it : let people email in ideas and then GMs can set them up if they like them.

None of the runs would give physical rewards and it would be impossible for anyone to get them all as many would be time/class/faction dependant etc. They would just be fun ways to get involved in the storyline and to earn some "kudos".

I wouldn't think it would take much code-wise to add a new screen to CityTerm to list your awards. RP-wise though I think it could add a lot.

Maybe also have different classes of reward - "Awards" being fairly minor, "Medals" being a bit more impressive and "Titles" being seriously impressive.

There should also be both Runner and Clan versions.

I've got a few other ideas but that's the crux of it. Ideas? Comments? Flames?

Marx
04-09-03, 18:50
I agree it'd be very cool

Well, this coming from a guy who'd spend hours killing stuff in UO simply to get a cool title...

:D

X452
04-09-03, 19:25
jumpgate had this type of system....

like u kill 100 flux and u got a unity stripe.... then the next stripe was 500 kills, each medal gave cash and exp

could be put into nc same way... kill 100 wb's u get a medal n so on

could be cool to incorperate custom titals too, like "warbot owner" or "MC5 King"

voted yes

Beefheart
04-09-03, 19:29
Well, ATM we have missions that can be run to earn titles, the missions are epics and the title is master (along with a faction specific reward)
The Paladin title doesn't exist yet as all the epics aren't in place.

Personally I think that not having medals or titles adds to the mystique and atmosphere of the game. Someone who is good at PvP doesn't need a title, their reputation speaks for itself.

A problem that can arise with titles is that they can become like as*holes,you know, everyone has one. If a title can be earned simply by doing missions, enevitably some people will do missions ad-nauseaum and earn some nice sounding title, then the PvP'ers who are beyond missions (or just too cool for them :lol: ) can complain that ie: "this noob doesn't do anything but missions all day long, how come they get a cool sounding title and I don't"
Anyway, you get the idea.

As you can see by some of the topics on the forum, people love to argue about anything and everything in this game so though medals and such may be a nice idea, we do already have the epics and "Master" titles and any other complex method of titles/recognition is bound to cause friction.

jernau
04-09-03, 19:47
There should be missions for those that are "beyond" the current idea of missions though. Really tough, nasty one that vicious GMs have nightmares just planning. Any runner (or more likey clan) that does them gets a cool title that only a few others can ever dream of getting.

Like RL medals there would be some all runners would get, like service medals in the army and some that only a few would get like the VC and all the steps in between.

Unlike "Master" and "Paladin" these wouldn't be visible over people's heads is the idea as I see it. They'd be more like a self-writing CV. I'd think PvP nuts would be even more in favour of it, especially if winning an organised tournament was one of the ways to earn a title.