PDA

View Full Version : Where are all these noobs coming from? (this is great!)

DonnyJepp
04-09-03, 16:59
Anyone else notice an influx of new faces? I'm talking about people totally new to the game, I'm seeing them everywhere on Saturn. They're asking questions on faction chat, to people on the street, etc. I've been giving rides to the MB, helping new tradeskillers get their act together, answering questions about LE chips, all of it.

Things KK needs to do to keep these new people around:

Update the manual: The n00bs are still trying to tell me that LE chips are bad for them because it costs them experience, etc. How many MONTHS has this not been how LE chips work? Also integrate the skills guide, and some of the information available on ems.ru into the manual. The learning curve on this game is STEEP and there is so much misinformation out there (even from official sources) that it has to make their heads spin. I remember starting in December and having the same problems.

"Fix" MC5 and add a full-time GM staffer to it (maybe 1 GM for the 4 servers' MC5). MC5 makes or breaks this game for most noobs. Rather than determining a player's starting equipment from what class they choose, have an NPC that looks at their chosen skills and hands out the right n00b equipment for what they've spec'd. Make your time spent at MC5 "factionless" and have new players choose their faction at the time they beam out. I have seen a lot of noobs playing the "difficult" factions also, don't they understand that starting out in TH, the MB, or TG is much harder?

I know there is a "help" channel, add a "newbie help" channel also.

Fix the CRASHES FATALS BUGS DUMPS SYNC ERRORS AND RIGHT-CLICK BUGS. This kind of stuff is an immediate turn-off for these new players (and us vets as well).

Well, just a few thoughts on the new player situation. I can't remember seeing this many new people around since last Christmas/New Years time (when I myself was pretty new.) Basically, KK, if you don't nurture your new players they won't stay past the trial. Players shouldn't have to take time out to correct errors that new players are making due to documentation flaws, and a lack of easily available good info. I'm all for helping but let's get these new folks started out in the right direction, eh?

:D

hinch
04-09-03, 17:03
ive helped out 4 noobs on pluto in like the past week think thats gotta be a record

QuantumDelta
04-09-03, 17:06
Originally posted by DonnyJepp

Fix the CRASHES FATALS BUGS DUMPS SYNC ERRORS AND RIGHT-CLICK BUGS. This kind of stuff is an immediate turn-off for these new players (and us vets as well).

There's this line of code KK Forgot to add ya know.

CRASHES AND FATAL ERROR AND SYNCHRONIZATION PROBLEMS = 0.

:lol:

Omnituens
04-09-03, 17:07
I too have helped new players out

gave away a 3 slot heal after someone couldnt afford to get another one built (i didnt build the others that were 0 slots btw :D )

and a 3 slot perfect s-337-f submachine gun

made their day :D

DonnyJepp
04-09-03, 17:08
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
There's this line of code KK Forgot to add ya know.

CRASHES AND FATAL ERROR AND SYNCHRONIZATION PROBLEMS = 0.

What is it that Helen says? /set bugs = 0 or something, right?

:lol: :lol:

QuantumDelta
04-09-03, 17:11
The truth of the matter is, KK are using an extremely dated Game Engine to make Neocron, They have done an absolutely amazing job getting it this far, however...

Their chances of fixing some of the bugs that are still present in the game is next to nothing.

It's possible they'll find a better way to handle FREs, however, things like Synching is a very hard bug (for any engine, let alone one this old) to beat.

right click bugs are something to do with synch bugs, I'm not sure how to tackle that one either, heh...

\\Fényx//
04-09-03, 17:11
They all made a clan on Pluto, its called eXo :p j/k

Originally posted by hinch
ive helped out 4 noobs on pluto in like the past week think thats gotta be a record

o_O your the one running around like a newb going ONOZ how does i play a tank ?!? :( and gimme your marine/CS/Filter2/Herc/Pants/Babies to every tank that you know on the server :p

nub :p

DonnyJepp
04-09-03, 17:13
Originally posted by \\Fényx//

I play Saturn but :lol: :lol: :lol:

Careful I'd like to keep it on topic :p

AxeMan
04-09-03, 17:13
Yup its a good sign with a lot of new players.

Hmm, think i'd better set 20 SMS keys to answer the 20 most FAQ newbie questions.:lol:

athon
04-09-03, 17:21
I still like the idea of revamping the character creation so that, by default, it uses a UO-style tutorial interface (there would be an advanced button that allows ppl back to the current interface, but the tutorial like one would be default).

ATM it's very hard to see what skills you're going to be getting for noobs (who will know nothing about how the skills work).

For those that haven't seen it, the UO-style character creation allows you to choose a profession through a series of questions.

I'll see if I can find my old post on this. [Edit: Nope - One of the posts I'd put in my sig had gone to post heaven (I'm no longer allowed to view it) so I'm guessing that was it.]

Athon Solo

DonnyJepp
04-09-03, 17:28
Originally posted by athon
I still like the idea of revamping the character creation so that, by default, it uses a UO-style tutorial interface (there would be an advanced button that allows ppl back to the current interface, but the tutorial like one would be default).

ATM it's very hard to see what skills you're going to be getting for noobs (who will know nothing about how the skills work).

For those that haven't seen it, the UO-style character creation allows you to choose a profession through a series of questions.

I'll see if I can find my old post on this.

Athon Solo

System Shock 2 had a nice creation method, you basically were in "boot-camp" and had to decide, for example, whether you spent your 2nd year of training in "High G Endurance training on Jupiter" or in "Ordinance training on board the USS Whichever." You would go 4 rounds of selecting specializations and then start the game. This is not too far off from the old Ultima "tarot cards" method of choosing your path.

hinch
04-09-03, 17:30

o_O your the one running around like a newb going ONOZ how does i play a tank ?!? :( and gimme your marine/CS/Filter2/Herc/Pants/Babies to every tank that you know on the server :p

nub :p

yup thats right :) worked too i have everything i need now :)

besides who gave you the fh2 on the first leaper i`d killed :)

\\Fényx//
04-09-03, 17:32
yup thats right :) worked too i have everything i need now :)

besides who gave you the fh2 on the first leaper i`d killed :)

:D I got another 2 already mate, they drop like fucking smarties on terrors now :eek: dont tell anyone tho ;)

hinch
04-09-03, 17:33
:D I got another 2 already mate, they drop like fucking smarties on terrors now :eek: dont tell anyone tho ;)

gimmie one back then i could do witha spare :)

neophotographer
04-09-03, 17:58
Anyone else notice an influx of new faces? I'm talking about people totally new to the game, I'm seeing them everywhere on Saturn. They're asking questions on faction chat, to people on the street, etc. I've been giving rides to the MB, helping new tradeskillers get their act together, answering questions about LE chips, all of it.

Thank the people in the newbie Forum on here (not trying to blow my own horn, but it's true)

The influx of newbs is felt there a lot, and I offer help, advice to new people all the time there along with answers, and advice about possible choices. I see many other people taking their time out to answer 15+ questions from newbs that can't always be explained in 2 words, and sometimes take 10 lines to answer depending on conditions. And if you're a kind, considerate person reading this please try and help out in there. It is good to have that part of the forum working and active.

Stacey

QuantumDelta
04-09-03, 18:02
I've been trying to help too :D

Spoon
04-09-03, 18:08
Maybe the new prospective publisher(s) are having their employee's check out the game first, to see if NC is full of evil PK'ers or carebears.....

Alex Mars
04-09-03, 20:04
System Shock 2 had a nice creation method, you basically were in "boot-camp" and had to decide, for example, whether you spent your 2nd year of training in "High G Endurance training on Jupiter" or in "Ordinance training on board the USS Whichever." You would go 4 rounds of selecting specializations and then start the game. This is not too far off from the old Ultima "tarot cards" method of choosing your path.

SS2 also had the "basic training" that taught you how to shoot, use psi attacks, use tools, etc.

There are undercurrents of interest in NC out there. When I downloaded the offline demo there were around 4000 people in line downloading it (there were 800 people in line on the fileplanet server I was on). OTOH there was no one in line when I downloaded the trial client. Odd.

NC also got mentioned in one of the computer magazines, the article was about "sexy" games and it mentioned the nude dancers, etc. That probably brought in some 13 year old boys who were looking for pixellated naughty bits.

kurai
04-09-03, 20:07
Originally posted by Alex Mars
When I downloaded the offline demo there were around 4000 people in line downloading it (there were 800 people in line on the fileplanet server I was on). OTOH there was no one in line when I downloaded the trial client. Odd.
A minor clarification - the lines are for slots on the download locations, not for an individual file.

They could have been queuing for anything.

El Barto
04-09-03, 20:08
So far on pluto I have found....... 10 newbies!!!!! A WHOLE 10! OMG where are the all coming from, but KK, IMPROVE MC5 NOW! While u still have new players joining, quite a few have quit in MC5 cos MC5 sucked so much.

Omni X
04-09-03, 20:56
I'm a n00b(well I did play a little in beta). Why did I get into the game just now... because I found it at my local Babagges software store for $10. I couldn't pass it up. I had been wanting to play this game but in beta I was incredibly frustrated with a lot of things, including the learning curve. However, for $10, I felt it was worth it to try again and give it a second chance.

So far so good, as I feel I have finally gotten over the hump, on the learning curve and have a handle on the game. Now that I have a handle, it is an extremely fun game.

Pay attention to this KK:

Things KK needs to do to keep these new people around:

Update the manual: The n00bs are still trying to tell me that LE chips are bad for them because it costs them experience, etc. How many MONTHS has this not been how LE chips work? Also integrate the skills guide, and some of the information available on ems.ru into the manual. The learning curve on this game is STEEP and there is so much misinformation out there (even from official sources) that it has to make their heads spin. I remember starting in December and having the same problems.

"Fix" MC5 and add a full-time GM staffer to it (maybe 1 GM for the 4 servers' MC5). MC5 makes or breaks this game for most noobs. Rather than determining a player's starting equipment from what class they choose, have an NPC that looks at their chosen skills and hands out the right n00b equipment for what they've spec'd. Make your time spent at MC5 "factionless" and have new players choose their faction at the time they beam out. I have seen a lot of noobs playing the "difficult" factions also, don't they understand that starting out in TH, the MB, or TG is much harder?

This is EXACTLY my complaints about my starting experience. I can't say enough about really how useless the manual is, at this point. Put a big ole link to a new updated, more usefull manual, on the login page.

I hope a lot of new people start getting into this game because it IS fun, but with only a couple hundred on Pluto, it is basically impossible to find a group, at my measly level.

Heavyporker
04-09-03, 20:57
Yeah, just a couple days before I got hit with this damnable bug, I helped out three NExT newbies in one day... a single day!

Guys, we need some players to volunteer to station themselves at MC5... we can't leave it to the GMs.

Vampire222
04-09-03, 21:39
welll itd be really cool if you could like warp to newb mc5 somewhere, automaticly get 0 in ur dex/psi/str combatskills so you can help out newbs when ur bored!

Heavyporker
04-09-03, 21:45
Vampire, I say make it so all runners in newbie MC5 is automatically LEchipped (whenther or not they have LE in, its a field effect) and players allowed to enter into newbie MC5 via a special NExT transport...

Sanch0s
04-09-03, 21:46
Shit you guys must be so proud!
Ill think we will need to sort you all out with a blue peter badge.

Sokaris
04-09-03, 21:47
every night for the last week i have logged in and helped about 2 to 4 people a night in tsunami.

At first I thought i was just seeing a bunch of people making tsunami alts until i saw them asking where via rossa was and what was a bp.. then i realised hold on a second we have some more players here..

I have also noted there are more north americans joining in this.. could it be that a store has opened the crate to a dust covered box in their back room that had a big cdv stamp on it and saw a game inside and decided to put it on the shelf.

have to add in here it's great to see all the new players but i am running out of implants and armor to hand out..

no wonder i never have any cash when i help every player i come across.

Tregard
04-09-03, 21:51
Originally posted by Sanch0s
Shit you guys must be so proud!
Ill think we will need to sort you all out with a blue peter badge.

o_O
I would tell you to kiss something but since I'm female I don't have one. :rolleyes:

Alex Mars
04-09-03, 21:52
I have also noted there are more north americans joining in this.. could it be that a store has opened the crate to a dust covered box in their back room that had a big cdv stamp on it and saw a game inside and decided to put it on the shelf.

Actually, NC has been on a lot of shelves here in L.A. since it was released. When I finally decided to buy it I had no problems finding a copy, the big national chains like Frys and CompUSA all have it.

Lexxuk
04-09-03, 22:11
Originally posted by Tregard
o_O
I would tell you to kiss something but since I'm female I don't have one. :rolleyes:

I'm willin to compromise of where u want kissed ;) :p :D :angel:

Wyked
04-09-03, 22:12
Ya, the MC5 and the manual are horrible.

I played in beta so i had a clue what i was doing, but when i got in to the MC5 i was lost as heck. took me a bit to figure out where i was and to get to a GR so i could get home.

I got two roommates to play too, but they wouldnt have played for more than 5 minutes if i hadnt been there to tell them how to go about starting and how to navigate the game.

Tregard
04-09-03, 22:55
Originally posted by Lexxuk
I'm willin to compromise of where u want kissed ;) :p :D :angel:

Oh Lord, I've got Lexxuk following me again!:eek:

kurai
04-09-03, 22:56
Originally posted by Tregard
Oh Lord, I've got Lexxuk following me again!:eek:
:lol: I think we need to club together and buy Tregard a "Restraining Order" sanctum spell :D

Nixon
04-09-03, 22:58
Hey Wyked, welcome aboard :}

Tregard
04-09-03, 23:04
Originally posted by kurai
I think we need to club together and buy Tregard a "Restraining Order" sanctum spell :D

Oh I think I love you kurai :D

joran420
04-09-03, 23:51
I think that they should have an offline demo type tied in with new player setup where they would be an anti city faction and just play the normal offline demo and then at the end have a little story movie sequence of them being captured and their mind being erased and then drop them in newb MC 5 ...maybe have a checkable option for the tutorial(read: offline demo) and have them directed dirrectly to the GR to leave but also giving the bot quest so they can do either and dont have to look on the forums to figure out how to get outta MC 5

[edit] oh yeah new newbs are cool :)

Omnituens
05-09-03, 00:54
Originally posted by kurai
I think we need to club together and buy Tregard a "Restraining Order" sanctum spell :D

OmniWarez > u:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel_rogers1/NewSpell.jpg

RAWR! :D

neophotographer
05-09-03, 01:47
Originally posted by Omnituens
OmniWarez > u:

can I borrow that?

Stacey

KidWithStick
05-09-03, 02:18
or they could just tell people the honost truth..

like, if you make a APU monk, you need straight PSI use to be good at combat, cant spend 100 points in research like everyone on uranus...

stuff like specialization needs to be explained to them in the manual, and recomended setups for classes.

Lareolan
05-09-03, 14:27
Or get rid of the gosh darned overspecialization (or at least make it not a must) so that people could actually play the game instead of working on their Mathematics degree? (So if I LoM out 10 points out of skill A and add 3 points to skill B and 2 to skill C, then use armor Q and R, that would give me a cumulative total of xx% taken off of any damage of type Y I take... And if I put all my points into skill P and no points into skill F, but put F-implants and use drugs...)
Is anyone else bored with that? I certainly am. It's just not fun for me to constantly try and get that extra 0.5% in.

Just my 2 pennies.

Lexxuk
05-09-03, 14:52
Originally posted by Omnituens
OmniWarez > u:

:( now everyones gonna wanna have one of they. what r the req's? ;) :p

/me stalks tregard on pluto :p

hinch
05-09-03, 15:20
i dont want one i want a holy provoke lexxuk spell

btw lexx tart add hinch to buddy on pluto if your still playing o_O

Tregard
05-09-03, 16:20
Originally posted by Lexxuk
:( now everyones gonna wanna have one of they. what r the req's? ;) :p

/me stalks tregard on pluto :p

/me sets up mini-nuke LexxuK trap outside apartment door:D

[edit] @Stacey - Of course you can borrow it....after I've used it first tho ;)

Lexxuk
05-09-03, 17:34
i dont want one i want a holy provoke lexxuk spell

btw lexx tart add hinch to buddy on pluto if your still playing o_O

Umm, I'm sorta still playing, well, I will be, one day, probably, I dunno, I ent really got the urge to play anymore, I think I got it installed on my XP box, so next time I'm loadin that up, I'll login n add ya :p provoke lexxuk spell? O_o

@ Tregard - you wouldnt really use that spell on me now, would ya *puppy dog eyes look*

Peeping Tom
05-09-03, 17:37
i helped a couple of n00bs a 1-2 weeks ago.. but then i heard nuffin more from them.. my guess is dat there trial account expired......
K4F

[TgR]KILLER
05-09-03, 17:38
Yea i found some on pluto to.. some guy was asking what to do because he was stuck in a zone.. lol.. everybody said reset position.. only i was so clever to ask WERE he was stuck.. mind u.. it was in MC5.. hehe.. the guy was a brand new n00b just downloaded the game a day before.. so we told him to get to the GR etc.. after that i logged on another char.. so i couldn't follow the faction chat no more ( were it was on ). but i found him walking in P1 today.. ( and he's FA ) so i think he'll be alright.. seems like he had a lift to NC to so :)