PDA

View Full Version : [OT] help needed

Stigmata
04-09-03, 15:20
Some lame sales rep has managed to screw up his brand new laptop, much to my annoyance.

he has somehow broke the spell check in outlook express 6.

when i try to do a spell check i get the error " an error occured while the spelling was being checked "

i have tried removing outlook using the "add/remove windows components" i removed it, then re-added it to no avail.

just wondering if anyone has any idea's.

Andy

please do not reply to this with "why dont you go ask on a IT board" this will get more views and i know there are alot of knowledgable people on here. (knowledgable did i just make a word or is it already in existence ?)

Archeus
04-09-03, 15:32
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-gb;kbhowto

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;oex

Second link type in the search spell check error. First couple relate to your problem.

SynC_187
04-09-03, 15:33
Re-install IE6 over the current install (you need the full thing not just OE6, but you can't do a full uninstall easily as it is a Windows update). If they have Office installed, re-install that as the spell checker links to the office dictionairy.

Nidhogg
04-09-03, 15:34
You must have Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Power Point installed on the machine for the spell checker to work. Did you take them off recently? BTW, knowledgeable is a real word (small typo in your version :p). ;)

N

/edit - you can also get this error if any one of the following is true:

This behavior can occur if any one of the following conditions is true:

The value data for the SharedFilesDir registry value does not contain a trailing backslash (\) in the following registry key (that is, there should be a backslash immediately after Shared Tools ):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools
Absence of this trailing backslash prevents location of the Csapi3t1.dll file and causes the spelling checker not to function properly.

The Csapi3t1.dll file, which is located in the Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof folder, is missing or damaged.

The Mssp232.dll or Mssp2_en.lex file is missing or damaged.

SynC_187
04-09-03, 15:36
Originally posted by Nidhogg
You must have Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Power Point installed on the machine for the spell checker to work. Did you take them off recently? BTW, knowledgeable is a real word (small typo in your version :p). ;)

N

Spell checker will work without office. Its just more basic.

P.S. Please don't hammer me for disagreeing ;)

Nidhogg
04-09-03, 15:40
Originally posted by SynC_187
Spell checker will work without office. Its just more basic.

P.S. Please don't hammer me for disagreeing ;) Hey, you could be right, I'm just quoting what I found on Google. :p

N

Rizzy
04-09-03, 15:41
Stig, get some jobskills and stop asking us 'student tossers' :p

SynC_187
04-09-03, 15:46
Originally posted by Rizzy
Stig, get some jobskills and stop asking us 'student tossers' :p

I'm not a student :P
This is my job. Well used to be. Moved up a bit now to shinier more expensive things.

Omnituens
04-09-03, 15:47
he's flaming students!!!!!one1one!

ban/nerf him.

On topic, you can have some fun with the auto correction function in MS Word.

just as the person i sat next to in IT for 2 years :lol:

Stigmata
05-09-03, 10:01
thanks people,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308078

only article i could find was this, but the system with the fault certainly aint 64bit.

i am aboutt o check the registry for what Nid suggested.

Andy

p.s the system has win XP pro and office 97 becuase the company are too miserly to buy office 2000 or XP corporate edition, well its understandable when they are paying for me to stop in the Hilton next week in leeds while im on course :)

Archeus
05-09-03, 10:32
Originally posted by stigmata
p.s the system has win XP pro and office 97 becuase the company are too miserly to buy office 2000 or XP corporate edition, well its understandable when they are paying for me to stop in the Hilton next week in leeds while im on course :)

Use Openoffice. It's free.

Stigmata
05-09-03, 10:39
Nope still no joy with this :(

any more idea's :confused:

Andy

SynC_187
05-09-03, 14:17
Have you re-installed Office yet?