PDA

View Full Version : plz show the flame thrower some love

dmon99
04-09-03, 14:07
i was in pepper 1 yesterday on uranus, when there were a few folks standing around waiting for a fight to start.

as i got bored quickly listening to some talk about resist and seeing another player shoot somebody to see how much damage they take from a black sun, i whipped out my trusty ol' wargas modded ncpd flamer and let a guy have two quick shots, it droped a very high ranking pe down to half life in a sec. he said damn nice damage on that one, so i tried it on a smurf and he said last time somebody tried that it didnt do any damage to him, well this one bit a big chunk outta him. i really wish that kk would do 1 or all of three things to make this a weapon to be viable in pvp

1. make it so that it doesnt slow you down when armed with it.
kinda like a rifle it is carried like one i dont think any hand held h-c weapons should slow a almost capped tank down, only shoulder mounted ones should, hmmm also could make the grenade launcher the same. and wtf is with being slowed down to carry a freakin hand grenade thats some crap right there i tell ya

2. make them aim like a cs or gat cannon the flamer really dont hit anything if your moving much.

3.crank the juice up on them bad puppies

well thats my rant and i know some tanks out there would like to see these or other ideas like them implimented for the flamer or grenade launcher . i hit a 75/?? ** monk with this thing but im not sure if it was me that got him down to like 15 hit hp before some body killed him or not was a nice big fight and you know how those pp1 fights go

Heavyporker
04-09-03, 14:12
if you knew something about flamers, then you'd know that moving around dilutes the flame stream, hence crappifying the damage.

and they shouldn't aim like a CS or Gatling, oh no.

and many, many threads have been made about flamers, crying out to increase the strength of flamers.

I myself made a case for giving flamers "tunnel" AoE, hurting anything in the stream, so one didnt have to aim as much to do SOME damage.

Yes, I agree, the "rifle" carry-style weapons shouldn't slow one down much, if at all.

And yes, I discovered to my chagrin, when I tried some grenades early in my tank's life, that hand grenades slowed him up amazingly. Unreal. That has to be fixed. Let's give a call to Lupus about that! :D

dmon99
04-09-03, 14:21
yeah a tunnel effect would at least be nice .

i mean...... they got all these great lower tl weapons but they wont make them worth a shit. it gets pretty damn boring when ya hear a monk say, ok ,go on whip out your cs, an lemme have a look see, ok turn your head to the right, ok turn to the left ,now cough. just once i like to here......., damn thats a big flamer ya luggin about ,, how you fit that thing in your pants i'll never know.... lol

phsoot
04-09-03, 14:41
Im still waitin for the day when my melee spy gets a chainsaw :D

Dirus
04-09-03, 14:55
I've been lookin at Flamethrowers in my weapon reworks. I'm toying with a few things in regards to them.. so they are being looked at.

Original monk
04-09-03, 15:49
anyone remember nathan proffit and he's flametrower in PP1 in beta4 ? i certainly do lol, it was an ubber weapon :P

Lucjan
04-09-03, 16:12
I think the first thing too look into flamethrowers that needs a change is the range. Currently it is like 8 or 9 meters on TL 70 one which means you need to stick to your target to get decent damage...basically your target needs to be either afk or a PPU while ressurecting somebody.

Increasing it range to around 25-30m would be the first step to go and try.

Machen
04-09-03, 16:22
I`m not a "Flamethrower-Lover" though... about range how about this one?
Making it similer to Raygun Pistol, like gun itself has, say, 200m or so range but stream will stop @ 10m or around.
I`m sure only a 25-30m range won`t work... Wyatt earp anyone? :rolleyes:

Drake6k
04-09-03, 16:31
I hope you all fucking see the best flamer is TL 70!!!! Dont ask for damage to be higher so you can pvp with a low TL weapon. Ask for higher TL versions....

Lucjan
04-09-03, 17:30
Originally posted by Drake6k
I hope you all fucking see the best flamer is TL 70!!!! Dont ask for damage to be higher so you can pvp with a low TL weapon. Ask for higher TL versions....

I dont think it is about damage currently. The damage work range dependent and you can really do some impressive damage with the TL70 flamer to capped people. They just have to stand still ;P
Once the existing flamers work properly we can request a higher TL one, for now it would really be nice to have the existing ones up and running.

@Machen: you sure about that? I actually dont know how the range dependent damage is scalled, but doing such a massive change as the first step seemed just too risky to me considering that we want balance in the game. Im somehow scared of any sledge hammer methods, doesnt matter if boosts or nerfs ;-)

Machen
04-09-03, 18:05
I didn`t meant for Rayguns "more dmg at close range" thing,
I meant for RayPistol`s "gun can aim from distance but stream won`t reach target"(it was in beta, donno now)
Currently aiming is range dependant so with 8m range, it won`t hit enough even at point-blank-range with even capped status while Flamethrower IS point-blank weapon.

Like I said changing gun`s "range" to long enuff like 1km, but stream stops at 10m will allow em to aim faster and won`t miss a lot in the range that gun is intended, your target doen`t need to be in AFK or you need to stand still to actualy hit target,
but flamer won`t hurt anyone outside 10m as intended too.

Well, all of this is if flamer won`t be changed from current point fire weapon though. if you want AoE, ignore me :p

ReefSmoker
04-09-03, 18:12
Originally posted by Original monk
anyone remember nathan proffit and he's flametrower in PP1 in beta4 ? i certainly do lol, it was an ubber weapon :P

Yes I also remember putting an end to many of his flame thrower pking sprees with my Rhyker Napalms in beta 3 and 4.

My how weapons change...

Take care,

ReefSmoker