PDA

View Full Version : ATI Framerates

hivemind
04-09-03, 02:24
So I just did my bi-annual hard drive format and Windows reinstall. After reinstalling Neocron, I noticed that my framerates were ass again, after months of quality performance. Obviously some tweaking was in order, and after some changes, all is well again, Neocron runs silky-smooth on my Radeon 9700 Pro.

Here's what I did:

In Neocron (F11): Vegetation Detail all the way down, and D3D T&L on. I play in 800x600, although I think I could easily go to 1024x768. All my other Neocron graphics settings are pegged at max.

In my computer's display properties (Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display), click the Settings tab, then click the Advanced button. There's a whole buncha stuff in the ATI settings there, but what I did was to click on the Direct3D tab, and do this:

Pushed the Main Settings slider all the way to the right (High Quality)
Anti-Aliasing to 6x, disable Application Preference
Anisotropic Filtering to 16x, disable Application Preference
Texture Quality: max quality
Mipmap Detail Level: max quality
Wait for Vertical Sync: always off
TRUFORM9tm): always off

Hope this helps people with high-end Radeon cards...

Ark
04-09-03, 02:26
i thought it was better to put antriscopic filtering thingy to the lowest setting

\\Fényx//
04-09-03, 02:27
Originally posted by Ark
i thought it was better to put antriscopic filtering thingy to the lowest setting
Having the actualy game sorting out antistropic puts extra load on yur CPU where as if you set your card to do it it takes it off the CPU in which case Neocron is VERY CPU heavy (like 95% resources for NC)

Ark
04-09-03, 02:32
sexy fenix
*off to fixzor it ^.^ *

hinch
04-09-03, 02:34
perhaps i should try turining it on on the card then :) though nc barely ever gets above 70% cpu here

Mankind
04-09-03, 04:21
Umm pushing the main slider to the right does NOT give better FPS. It lowers it.

Better quality = lower fps
Better performance = higher fps

Just a note...

I get about 60 fps at cycrow with it pushed all the way to the left.
I get about 30 fps at cycrow with it pushed all the way to the right.

hivemind
04-09-03, 05:11
Yeah I'm well aware of that. I, however, get good FPS with everything at max quality. That was the point of my post.

Sorry if it slipped past you.

Better performance = higher fps
What you mean there is "Looks like shit, but I get 80 FPS". I'm not interested in playing DOOM...

Mankind
04-09-03, 06:55
Interesting...

I don't see ANY change in neocron from the "performance" to "quality". Not one. And it doesn't look like DOOM or Quake. Some people just prefer the extra framerate. I like getting 50fps in plaza1, and if anyone has seen any of my screenshots, they would know that my game doesn't look crappy either.

KidWithStick
04-09-03, 07:10
i got a radeon 9700 pro and unless i look at a wall just right my FPS doesnt go above 40 much, when i look at some walls just right it can go up to 90.

=/

VictorKruger
04-09-03, 07:10
After reading your post i decided to test some things out.

I have an Ati Radeon 8500 128MB and before altering the settings i was getting about 90fps in my apt and in other non populated areas, and in plaza one i was getting about 30-40fps.

settings that i had
anistropic filitering app pref
smoothvision (tm) app pref
Wait for Vertical Sync: app pref
TRUFORM(tm): always off

settings that i just recently changed to
turned down the anistropic filitering to 2x, unchecked app preference
turned down smoothvision (tm) down to 2x, unchecked app preference
Wait for Vertical Sync: always off
TRUFORM(tm): always off

now i have about 40-62fps in plaza one and about 130fps in non-populated areas and in my appt.

Although one thing that i noticed is that there are some graphical errors in the startup screens and in the rpos area, but that could be from not restarting my computer after i did the changes. Ill let you guys know after i restart my computer and test it out again which im going to do right....about....now!!

VK

Ok i found out that i don't have anti-aliasing i have this thing called "smoothvision (tm)" which i have changed above. if i don't have app pref checked in smoothvision i get the weird minor graphic glitches on the startup screens, but i still get some minor graphical errors in the rpos.

so now i have smoothvision(tm) to have app preference and i didn't notice a major performance loss (about 5 or so fps in plaza one) but i did notice that i was getting higher fps in my appt, about 150-333fps!! that could be still acheived if i had smoothvision(tm) turned off but i just don't like seeing all the minor glitches in the startup screens and possibly any undiscovered graphical glitches that i didn't see.

YA5
04-09-03, 08:14
look at that thead (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=908825#post908825)

it is GERMAN but i think may be it hepes u!

Dribble Joy
04-09-03, 09:22
Ummm when i go to the advanced setting in th display, i don't see any anti aliasing or any other type of 'advanced' settings, just some shit about font size.
I'm using the now dicontinued radeon 9500, and the ati web site is shit, anyone here know what's going wrong?
(also on win2k)

Mankind
04-09-03, 09:26
I suggest the Omega Drivers Dribble. They give ALOT better FPS for games and overall smoother performance.

They can be found by a quick search in google for "Omega Drivers"

teksu
04-09-03, 09:31
www.rage3d.com go there, be impressed, and download rage3d tweak, lets you set many more options then the normal driver interface through windows. i play at 1024 and i could go higher easly (9700pro) but i like to be abel to read what my clan mates are saying. anyhow, the tweaker gives you tips and what not when you hover over each setting, i get around 200 FPS in TH and never drop below 60 in plaza 1,

cheers
- tek