PDA

View Full Version : variation in PSI-Monks?

Alex Mars
03-09-03, 21:31
Is there any variation among the psi-monks other than APU/PPU? I haven't played one yet, but it really looks like all monks will be developed into one of only two varieties. Am I missing something?

The PSI system strikes me as though it was designed for a single player game.

CryptoChronic
03-09-03, 21:33
what kind of variation would you like? .. all tanks use cs's (if they want to do the best dmg they can) .. the majority of spies use rifles.... majority of pe's use pistols...

this game doesnt have much variation to begin with

Kugero
03-09-03, 21:36
you can play any kind of monk you want.

just be prepared for the trade offs.

Alex Mars
03-09-03, 21:36
Originally posted by CryptoChronic
what kind of variation would you like? .. all tanks use cs's (if they want to do the best dmg they can) .. the majority of spies use rifles.... majority of pe's use pistols...

this game doesnt have much variation to begin with

Well, in other games the spell casters usually have more options that pure attack and pure defense. Are there variations possible within the category of PPU? APU? Are all PPUs played the same way using the same spells?

Mumblyfish
03-09-03, 21:42
I consider myself unique among APUs.

Weapons are:

Holy Energy Halo
PSI Attack 2
Holy Firestorm
Holy Antibuff
Holy Toxic Beam
Holy Multi Lightning

May not be powerful, but at least in years to come people will say "Remember that 1 INT off cap monk with the stupid lowbie spells?" "No." "Neither do I..."

Scikar
03-09-03, 21:54
Originally posted by Alex Mars
Well, in other games the spell casters usually have more options that pure attack and pure defense. Are there variations possible within the category of PPU? APU? Are all PPUs played the same way using the same spells?

For the most part they are similar. The ppu variations are mostly between ppus who prefer individual shields to those who prefer group shields (groups offer less protection but you shield everyone around you in one go).

Apus vary a little too, some like to use poison, others fire, and others energy.

The main reason you don't see so much variation is because there is a severe penalty to using both ppu and apu (each counters the effect of the other by 1/3). The reason for this is because until recently, the vast majority of monks were hybrids. And these hybrids were insanely overpowered. In the earlier days of retail they combined current ppu with current apu, for the most part. They didn't quite cap RoF and damage on spells but that made little difference. Some changes were made, which resulted in them keeping their power but losing their mana pool. At first things weren't so bad, until they realised they could just drop their skill points so that they had only just enough apu for non-rare beams, and enough ppu for holy shelter, holy heal and parashock beam. This hurt their apu a lot but their ppu was still almost on par with a pure ppu monk.

The very best hybrids basically had the defence of a ppu, but still had considerable offensive power, and they capped their mana pool as well. Eventually KK stopped trying to persuade them to change and forced them to with the penalty of one towards the other. Some people who used to play hybrids have changed to pure, saying they're not viable any more. but for the most part they are the ones who played a hybrid and did well because of the power of their class, and not through personal ability, so that when they were brought down to the level of other classes they suddenly couldn't beat 10 people by themselves.

Personally I find that a hybrid is still possible, and it's still one of the best classes for PvM. In PvP however hybrids are at something of a disadvantage against other class, though most of the tests people have made are still trying to use the highest apu and ppu spells. There is more success to be had with mid level apu and ppu (blessed shields, and holy halos). However nobody seems to want to try that, and most have instead switched to a pure apu or ppu monk. There are some who still like hybrids though (ask hinch or Omnituens). But for the most part they ruined themselves by trying to insist they weren't overpowered instead of admitting it and suggesting a reasonable change.

enablerbr
03-09-03, 21:58
well i'm trying for the gimp PPU/pistol monk. just working out what all the imps i need are atm.:)

Progenitor
03-09-03, 22:03
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
I consider myself unique among APUs.

Weapons are:

Holy Energy Halo
PSI Attack 2
Holy Firestorm
Holy Antibuff
Holy Toxic Beam
Holy Multi Lightning

May not be powerful, but at least in years to come people will say "Remember that 1 INT off cap monk with the stupid lowbie spells?" "No." "Neither do I..."

I currently use Holy Energy Halo and Holy Multi Lightning.

I still am unsure of the trade-offs of using Holy Energy Halo verses Nrg Beam or HL. The mana consumption of Halo is great, but isn't anywhere near the damage of HL you would think beam would be a better compramise, but it isn't.

H.Multi Lightning is excelent for clearing a confined area. :)

Toxic Beam just doesn't do the damage it use to.

After reading the other threads about psi attack2, I am going to get one constructed, but if I remember correctly, I never really used it because the damage was exceptionally variable, but as all of our damage is variable now, maybe it doesn't matter.

-p

Mumblyfish
03-09-03, 22:05
Seriously, I'm beginning to hate rares more and more. Sure, they kill quicker, but I'm having so much more FUN with lowbie stuff.

Plus noone ever knows what weapon I'm using. NOZ TOO TEH SWYRLY!

Shadow Dancer
03-09-03, 22:07
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Seriously, I'm beginning to hate rares more and more. Sure, they kill quicker, but I'm having so much more FUN with lowbie stuff.

Plus noone ever knows what weapon I'm using. NOZ TOO TEH SWYRLY!

LOL

Holy multi lightning ownz. A capped energy beam is equal to a 530% HL or so.

UM toxic beam may not be what it used to be(thanks to whining people who didn't carry drugs or spec resist), but it's still useful against shielded people.

Genty
03-09-03, 22:29
I class myself as a pritty unique PPU Monk. The fact being that this PPU monk fights back...with a TAR. Does it sting? Ask the victims :D

OpTi
03-09-03, 22:41
Originally posted by Genty
I class myself as a pritty unique PPU Monk. The fact being that this PPU monk fights back...with a TAR. Does it sting? Ask the victims :D

iirc i watched you put down a tank with that tar o_O

Heavyporker
03-09-03, 22:42
*I* consider myself rather unique among monks... especially APU monks.

I hack, drive, drone, recycle, RP, and I like to use the odd attack spell now and then... (not telling all about them, but I will admit PSI Attack 2 and Holy MultiLightning Bolt is among them.)

Plus I actually think Vecs are worth a damn in OP fights... I just gotta beat on dad to stop mucking about and just upgrade his antivirus, then I will try to start things moving on Pluto...

ohh yes... Plutoians will learn to fear... NExT will become all-powerful...

mdares
03-09-03, 22:44
PPU + TAR = uber...

scary shit they are....

Futureman
03-09-03, 22:44
I think PPUs don't are the least subjected to the rare phenomenon of all classes. The only rares they need are Holy anitpoison sanctum (maybe, if you wanna level in poison caves) Holy Paralysis, and Catharsis or Catharsis Sanctum. Really only those right there.

Whereas a spy... He needs.

PE for monks
FL or Disruptor for Tanks and PEs
SH again for monks
SF CPU to use 115 xray at a decent level

You know, the truth is that APUs with their high damage can get away with using shop spells i think. Not shop, but constructed spells available at the shop. I got a 3 slot Holy Heal the other day and it bumped my rank more than any rare ever did..