PDA

View Full Version : Where do you lag?

Alex Mars
03-09-03, 20:55
I introduced a friend to this game and he has been playing on a near minimum spec computer. Normally he does OK in the city, sewers, wasteland, etc but when we go to the bunker at the MB he lags so bad he almost can't aim. Anyone else notice this?

SamuraiPizzaCat
03-09-03, 20:56
yea
MB=teh lagg

Xian
03-09-03, 20:57
Probably because of the machine he's on.

I had a 350MHz computer with 256MB SDRAM and a Geforce 2MX.. I would do fine in Neocron but out in the wastes or MB I would lag. Bad.

MrBane
03-09-03, 20:57
I doubt it's lag, it's most probably Framerates, which Military Bunker has exceptionally bad examples of.

Scikar
03-09-03, 21:03
Generally the biggest source of FPS drops is a large concentration of players, which I'm assuming is due to the netcode being a bit processor intensive. Best thing to get past it is get a hardware sound card, a hardware modem, turn off software compression in the modem settings, clean up your startup programmes (try www.pacs-portal.net for some help there) and if that fails, upgrade your processor.

This is assuming that you don't have many problems with detailed graphics, in which case a few tweaks in the graphics driver settings, or downloading Omega drivers (www.omegacorner.com I think) can work wonders.

Benjie
03-09-03, 21:05
SATURN

Alex Mars
03-09-03, 21:19
Originally posted by Scikar
Generally the biggest source of FPS drops is a large concentration of players, which I'm assuming is due to the netcode being a bit processor intensive. Best thing to get past it is get a hardware sound card, a hardware modem, turn off software compression in the modem settings, clean up your startup programmes (try www.pacs-portal.net for some help there) and if that fails, upgrade your processor.

This is assuming that you don't have many problems with detailed graphics, in which case a few tweaks in the graphics driver settings, or downloading Omega drivers (www.omegacorner.com I think) can work wonders.

When he plays here at my place on my P3 he doesn't seem to have the problem, it is only a problem when he is back on his old P2 box.

I just thought it was odd that he didn't have problems in the city around crowds but did out by the bunker even when it was almost deserted.

Xian
03-09-03, 21:21
Originally posted by Alex Mars
When he plays here at my place on my P3 he doesn't seem to have the problem, it is only a problem when he is back on his old P2 box.

I just thought it was odd that he didn't have problems in the city around crowds but did out by the bunker even when it was almost deserted.

A P2 machine will have problems at the bunker for sure, even if it's empty. Note the huge open space.

hnlecter
03-09-03, 21:21
Correction to post where do you NOT lag?

Alex Mars
03-09-03, 21:24
Correction to post where do you NOT lag?

I'm on a P4 with over a gig of RAM and a 128M vid card, I never see any lag except the very rare occasional slow response to activating a thing or moving an item in inventory.

csh1
03-09-03, 21:26
im a p4 512 ram, i lag everywhere....my system just stops for about 5 seconds...

Xin
03-09-03, 22:07
I seem to lag everyone in P1 by alt-tabbing. It only happens the first time I do it, however. Could be coincidence, but I've done it on many occasions.

Richard Slade
04-09-03, 10:17
Where do I lag? Lemme think.. Umm
Plaza 1
Plaza 2
Plaza 3
Plaza 4
Via Rosso 1
Via Rosso 2
Via Rosso 3
Via Rosso 4
PP (all of them)
Wastelands (90% of them)
In TG
In TH
And alot in MB
OZ (all)
Most sewers cores cellars and other hunting grounds
But other than that it runs as smooth as it gets

DigestiveBiscui
04-09-03, 12:21
Originally posted by csh1
im a p4 512 ram, i lag everywhere....my system just stops for about 5 seconds...

joys of neocron :)

ever tried have a redrock mine op war???

even if no one is there my fps is about 10, and im on a 1800 Athlon

and they say u need 350 minimum - BS

cracky
04-09-03, 12:26
Actually saying you never "see" lag is wrong even if you think you don't. Neocron's movement and such is clientside so you can continue to move even if you lag.

Basically everytime it takes you a second longer to reload or fire, when somebody is running and then appears farther then they were, when a spell delays, a door won't open, all situations like that are lag and basically the whole time you are playing you are lagging to some degree.

edit: uh wait I guess we're talking about fps I should of read it all first.

ezza
04-09-03, 12:31
Originally posted by Alex Mars
I introduced a friend to this game and he has been playing on a near minimum spec computer. Normally he does OK in the city, sewers, wasteland, etc but when we go to the bunker at the MB he lags so bad he almost can't aim. Anyone else notice this?

the bunkers terrible for lag, more so during peak player time when theres lots of people there.

it gets so bad sometimes in suprised the Pkers are able to kill people down there.

having said that the MB in general has been a bit sucky for lag of late, as i dont leave the area much dunno if its a general lag issue

edit due to my useless spelling ability

Shockwave
04-09-03, 12:34
AMD XP2600+, 512 MB Corsair PC3500 RAM, and a 128mb Radeon 9500 Pro. All of my lag is due to the connection to the servers, none due to framerate. This may be because I've got the graphics detail turned right down, though. The grass in the Grassland areas of the Wastes was a killer as I remember, especially when mobs started spawning too! :(

Shock.

Helen Angilley
04-09-03, 12:45
Never. Muahahaha. :lol:

Although I have a mighty processor, so it's granted.

*Strokes her 2.4GHZ Athlon*

MjukisDjur
04-09-03, 17:50
Fine everywhere except p1 and gayia (?) mines

Breschau
04-09-03, 17:57
I've always found MB pretty bad for lag. And that's lag, not just bad fps (happens in the enclosed parts of the base itself, not just out at the bunker).

Also found Tech Haven to be fairly bad for it at times (often specific to one of the cores).

Usually when I'm lagging in either of those places I can go genrep to NC and everything is pretty much back to normal (which is by no means perfect, but a lot more playable).