PDA

View Full Version : Should run speed be lowered?

ClownBoat
03-09-03, 19:50
Currently, the games netcode cannot support the fast moving characters. Something needs to be done to fix this and the only real solution is slowing down movement speed.

This not only make the game more enjoyable, it would also add a great deal to PvP (mainly group combat but also other forms).

For more details check out the thread here: http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73490

Please, only vote if you know and understand pvp. No monster bashing bluebies please (yes, this is biased. I dont care.)

Iffy Boatrace
03-09-03, 19:57
For the love of the Queen and all things English, stop with all the complaining already. You H.A.T.E. chappys have returned to the game to spend more time on the forums complaining then actually playing the game.

Perhaps you were not then/are not now all that you thought you were.

Please go away now, you upset Lady Boatrace

PsiCorps
03-09-03, 20:00
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - spam ]

PsiCorps
03-09-03, 20:02
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - spam ]

Shadow Dancer
03-09-03, 20:32
No runspeed shouldn't be lowered to compensate for lack of skill.

PsiCorps
03-09-03, 20:34
Clown, how about you lom and get some agil/skill your not uber anymore adjust friggin newb

msdong
03-09-03, 20:40
im PRO.
but for another reason .
LOWER runspeed=More VHC user :)))))

"RUNNERS" are only to dumb for a driver licence ...

Scikar
03-09-03, 20:41
I'm against this, since tanks would be unbeatable if PEs and apus lost their main defence. I also don't see any problem with the netcode as it is, and I'm on a 56k. Perhaps you should check your connection?

ClownBoat
03-09-03, 20:54
No scikar, I used to be a PE and 1v1s against gen tanks was pretty much balanced. This is when we were both frozen and I had a overpowered liberator.

And for the last fucking time people:

HIGH RUN SPEED = NO SKILL
LOWER RUN SPEED = MORE SKILL

the engine is not fuckking unreal tournament. basically the way it is now its like counterstrike with 3x the normal speed, which is really fucking retarded.

Scikar
03-09-03, 20:56
Yes, I know full well who you are. When you used to fight tanks like that, nobody knew how to skill resists, and Lib did more damage than CS, which is why there were Lib tanks everywhere. With everyone taking lots of damage, it was a case of who could do the most damage. And since a lot of tanks back then played like turrets, they got their asses handed to them by people like you.

The game now is very different. I would in fact love to see this patched in for a day so that you could see just how bad a tank is when he hits with every single shot from CS.

PsiCorps
03-09-03, 21:03
Hey man i hear your setup is so gimped, try eating some loms please before moaning

Xian
03-09-03, 21:03
Originally posted by ClownBoat
No scikar, I used to be a PE and 1v1s against gen tanks was pretty much balanced. This is when we were both frozen and I had a overpowered liberator.

And look how fun fighting was in slow motion!

For the last time :

SKILL = NOT DEPENDANT ON YOUR RUNSPEED.

the engine is not fuckking unreal tournament. basically the way it is now its like counterstrike with 3x the normal speed, which is really fucking retarded.

Exactly, it's not UT. And please, point out the reticle and leveling in CS so you can compare it to Neocron. NC is not a 'turret fighting' game, people with skill can fight those who have very high runspeed.

Shadow Dancer
03-09-03, 21:04

how so?

It's easier to hit a slower target. Case Closed.

Rith
03-09-03, 21:12
where's the option "I talk dog toffee, RAISE THE RUNSPEED"???

out of interest how does everyone moving slower (therefore easier to hit) equate to more skill?

is lowering the run speed a kind of geriatric reaction?

Helen Angilley
03-09-03, 21:15
Starkes just wants the runspeed lowered so his, now fixed, weapon will maybe, just maybe, do some sort of damage to the low ranked people he picks on.

:p

SorkZmok
03-09-03, 21:23
Currently, the games netcode cannot support the fast moving characters. Something needs to be done to fix this and the only real solution is slowing down movement speed.

This not only make the game more enjoyable, it would also add a great deal to PvP (mainly group combat but also other forms).

For more details check out the thread here: http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73490

Please, only vote if you know and understand pvp. No monster bashing bluebies please (yes, this is biased. I dont care.)

Your last thread (Yes, that one you actually linked) already showed it.
No one likes your ideas, so stop this shit.
Less runspeed = less skill.
Why not start crying to bring back those instadeath freezers? They made ppl slow. Is it that what you want?

Oh and btw, i know PvP. I even know HOW TO PvP.

:D

Marzola
03-09-03, 21:35
I just recently increased the run speed of my tank and I suck now. I need to learn how to fight all over again. IMO it takes more skill to PvP with a higher runspeed due to the fact you are moving faster and your target will be out of your sight faster. You have less time to target and fire with a higher runspeed which means you need to have skill to time when you attack right.

KimmyG
03-09-03, 22:12
Holy shit starkes for an uber PK u sure cry alot NERF this NERF that. Whats wrong you come back top being nothing more than a joke of Saturn?

icarium
03-09-03, 22:24
Originally posted by KimmyG
Holy shit starkes for an uber PK u sure cry alot NERF this NERF that. Whats wrong you come back top being nothing more than a joke of Saturn?

he was always a joke he just didnt realise it, he moaned all the fucking time then and nothing has changed

htf can you say trying to hit a slower moving target requires more skill than hitting a fast moving one?
:confused:

Tazo
03-09-03, 22:29
My name is Clownboat. I am a l33t pker. I don't like carebears.
Then stop whining like one, FFS

ClownBoat
03-09-03, 22:36
Yeah, wanting this game to improve is a very bad thing.

I guess i'll shut the fuck up.

Meanwhile you carebears can keep living in your " I R TEH FAST IM SO SKILLED!" dreamworld. One of these days you might wake up and realize im right.

Iffy Boatrace
03-09-03, 22:43
Young man, your sense of self-importance (evidenced buy your inability to fathom any constructive criticicizm and realise that others DO have opposing opinions and yours isn't necessarilly right) is on par with the great steaming pillocks of dung my cows leave in the field.

Get over yourself.

[Lady Boatrace suggests a deep bowel enema to reduce your stress]

PsiCorps
03-09-03, 22:46
starkes, why dont you fucking lom you nub, it takes time but no one is "L33T" overnight, stop whining and lom

Liquid_Ice
03-09-03, 22:49
Funny , I didn't see anything in the original post about " I am loosing so lower speeds to make me good" at all.. All I saw was someone suggesting a change that may help game play.. Seems to me that if this would help the warping I would love it being I am a sniper spy..

icarium
03-09-03, 22:49

Meanwhile you carebears can keep living in your " I R TEH FAST IM SO SKILLED!" dreamworld. One of these days you might wake up and realize im right.

if i move faster this surely means i have to aim faster, and therefore with more skill, than if i am slow moving and aiming at slow moving targets.

i dont think its a case of living in a dream world, i think its a case of you having a massively overinflated opinion of yourself.

OpTi
03-09-03, 22:50
i don't find it too hard to hit fast people on any of my chars, which include riflespy, pistol spy, HC tank, ppu, apu and rifle PE. I don't claim to have mad PvP skills simply because i don't i can hold my own and i'm happy with that, if your having problems without your freezer maybe you should quit whining and go out and practice, see where you messed up and go out and try again. Thats what i did, i did it over and over untill i was satisfied with my skill level, then i went out and practiced some more

Dream
03-09-03, 22:51

Let me rephrase this for you...

HIGH RUN SPEED = MORE SKILL
LOWER RUN SPEED = NO SKILL

anyone can aim at a slowass target, its not hard. its SKILL when you can keep a lock on a FAST target

So get some skills.

Nidhogg
03-09-03, 22:51
Quit it with the insults! I don't care whether ClownBoat is Starkes, Peter Pan or Father Christmas because we declared an amnesty when we went customer-only. He is protected by the same rules as the rest of you.

N

Xian
03-09-03, 22:56

How is it improving the game? You're asking for people to be slowed down even more, which takes away a big slice of a PE's edge in combat and makes Tanks turrets. Spies wouldn't be able to run away when they're avoiding the one CS burst it takes to kill them and APU's wouldn't even need to bother runcasting as they might as well stand still.

Please, do shut the fuck up. No ones living in a dreamworld - except maybe for you. In my opinion, you're coming on here whining for a runspeed nerf because you simply can't cut it anymore, or you actually died for a change.

OTIS
03-09-03, 22:57
clown boat u shouldnt post polls anymore cuz people are just going to disagree with u because of that last thread u made:lol:

Smugly
03-09-03, 22:57
I second Mr Boatrace's insightful critique.

Voodoochicken
03-09-03, 23:47
[yes, I'm still not playing this game. .and this thread is a good example of half the reason.]

The skill part of any PvP game isn't just about hitting your target.

There is skill in not getting hit and there is skill in aiming.

You've all stated how it's easier to hit people when they are moving slower. Therefore, have you also considered that it takes more skill to not get hit when you are moving slower than when you can move quickly?

I feel the number of different skills needed with high runspeeds is less than those needed for lower runspeeds.

Some people are better at the more obvious PvP asset of aiming at a fast moving target, than they are at the more subtle art of avoiding being hit when you are moving slowly, or vice versa.

1) Logically, if you are very skillful with high run speed, you will still be more skillful than other peeps at lower runspeed.

2) If runspeeds were lowered, you could easily compensate by increasing the rate at which the aim lock is lost.

The fact that people always want to grasp at every little thing that lets them pretend that they are the most skillful/best player can dampen the fun of many games.

If you think that lowering run speeds is bad due to it reducing a percieved/real advantage you have at high runspeeds, (without considering any benefits to gameplay) then I think that's pretty sad.

If you react to the thread starter's identity with a knee-jerk flame, then that's also sad.

We all know that there is horrible object lag in this game and people with high runspeeds can appear to be moving through walls/floors, etc.. When this happens, people are impossible to target (unless you're using psi).

Freezers need bringing back.

-Bring freezers back, but reduce the duration to < 2 seconds and improve the damage output (especially of the cannon version).

-Lower people's normal runspeed a little (but not enough to make travelling by foot too dull).

Aiming when frozen was hard and needed skill, so "suck it up". :)

*freezers*

Freezers were destroyed because people complained they took away all the skill of PvP (and yet, laughably, some of the same people said that parashocks should remain, despite being the very thing that did need changing).

I could easily have said, "oh, you only want freezers removed because you lack the skill of fighting whilst frozen", but I didn't (due to not being an egotistical prick).

When freezers were in full use, (ignoring the ridiculous parashock spells) I had many prolonged 1v1 fights where the environment, tactical movement (retreating/attacking) and aiming skill, were used to gain an advantage.

[With my 1-slotted TPC, I beat a CS wielding tank + PE using spy in a 1 v 2 (where both sides were frozen at various points in the fight). ... oooh, how egotistical of me.]

After no-one used freezers any more, it all became a pathetic case of strafe-circling/strafing, plus which weapons retained "lock" the easiest.

Shadow Dancer
03-09-03, 23:50
Lower runspeed and put freezers back in?

No sorry this isnt' max payne. Sounds like you just want a free ticket to killing people.

Freezers slowed people down so much only the most skill-less noob "missed" any hits regardless of how good the other person is at shooting.

Scikar
03-09-03, 23:53
That's bullshit. Freezers meant he who freezes first wins. There was just as much circle strafing, except only one person did instead of 2. You'd get a pistol PE, freeze a tank, then spin round and round him shooting with a Lib. Since you turn slower when frozen this meant you couldn't hit the PE with anything, and the PE wins. Even if you did manage to freeze him back he'd already taken off half your health.

If everyone gets slowed down, then everyone takes more damage. That means fights will last even less than they already do. What's the point in a 10 second OP war?

Voodoochicken
04-09-03, 00:03
That's what I'm talking about.

Ignorance.

Now I'm not playing the game, I can feel free to call Arcadius / Shadow dancer the "clueless moron" he is. [edit me, quick] :/

According to Arcadius, it doesn't take skill to aim at a pistol using PE when you are frozen.

Let me see.. this may not be a good example, because "Sweet leaf" was probably crap at PvP, but:

I still beat her (higher lvl character) in a fair fight whilst I was frozen + using my crappy 1-slotted TPC and far from capped character.

so.. I guess I want freezers back because they make it easy for ME to hit people, not because if they are implemented correctly they are an interesting adition to PvP.

I killed GOD's psi monk when he'd used a (weak) parashock on me, by using the surrounding environment to my advantage, and I even used a Tride-fusion cannon for some of the fight.

Needless to say, he was surprised I beat him, especially considering he had a significantly higher rank than me.

Thanks for paying attention, egotistical fool.

(oh yes.. in another thread, why did you claim credit for the drone launcher idea, when numerous other people have had/posted it months before you?......)

[edit] so.. looks like a point is shown. I was good at fighting whilst frozen, but others weren't. Some poele are good at fighting with high run speed, and others aren't. Some are good in either situation.

The main thing is that I can at least see/discuss both sides instead of being an idiot [/end edit]

KimmyG
04-09-03, 00:04

CareBear your the one back 2 weeks into the game starkes and have done nothing but say nerf the monk,nerf run speed. HATE's day is done the Liberator and freeze pistols era is over live with.

Adapte and get some skill I dont think there gonna nerf the whoel system cause HATE is having trouble PKing the low lvls at the bunker.

All I ever heard was how grand hate was and how they ruled saturn. Pathetic

@Voodoo Yes very bad example with freeze that sound ment game over. When wopin came up on yea with his freezer and lib your day was done.

Shadow Dancer
04-09-03, 00:06
Originally posted by Voodoochicken

According to Arcadius, it doesn't take skill to aim at a pistol using PE when you are frozen.

I said when the opponent is frozen.

oh yea and sweet leaf? :lol:

(oh yes.. in another thread, why did you claim credit for the drone launcher idea, when numerous other people have had/posted it months before you?......)

I've never saw anyone with that idea. SO I claim credit for posting it. If someone else posted that idea, they can claim credit too.

I doubt our ideas would have been exactly the same anyways.

Voodoochicken
04-09-03, 00:10
No, arcadius..

You said that I wanted freezers back in so I could freeze n00bs and kill them.

[edit]. yes, sorry.. you said that I wanted easy kills. Becasue it's obviously easy to kill people whilst I'm frozen. See, I admit I misquoted you [/end edit]

Drone laucher:

Other people had the idea before I did, but even though I didn't KNOW when I posted mine, I stated that someone probably had. All it took was a little forethought.

Plus, they all had something in common over your idea.

-They were based on experience of being a droner using high TL drones, but were also thought out before being posted.

-They also weren't posted by idiots.

Have a nice day.

[edit] and did anyone bother to notice where I said freezer effects should last < 2 seconds?

So a typical freezer might freeze you for 1 second.

Hardly a long time and if their attack was such a surprise to you, it'd take that long to take your weapon out. [/end edit]

Shadow Dancer
04-09-03, 00:13

You said that I wanted freezers back in so I could freeze n00bs and kill them.

Alot of people have said that. Guess what, i wasn't one of them.

Other people had the idea before I did, but even though I didn't KNOW when I posted mine, I stated that someone probably had. All it took was a little forethought.

Who cares dude?

-They also weren't posted by idiots.

Have a nice day.

Thanks.

Voodoochicken
04-09-03, 00:20
Now, now, Arcadius.

[ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ]

Just carry on living your life as you are.

So. Really, have a nice day!

Nidhogg
04-09-03, 00:22
Last warning on the flames, guys...

N

Shadow Dancer
04-09-03, 00:26

[edit]. yes, sorry.. you said that I wanted easy kills. Becasue it's obviously easy to kill people whilst I'm frozen. See, I admit I misquoted you [/end edit]

Well if you're 100% aware of your surroundings you can avoid or at least prevent being "jumped" by someone with a freezer.

But alot of people don't do that, so you can just freeze them then dancer around their back and kill them easily. Stationary or slowmoving targets are extremely easy to kill.

icarium
04-09-03, 01:27
freezers are for people who cant aim and therefore need to "freeze" their target in order to slow them down enough to hit. they should not be in the game, thankfully they arent ;) they wouldnt be *too* bad if they didnt nerf the frozen parties aim, so at least they could use "skill" to target you back, just not be able to run about too much

although i do agree with you parashocks should be removed, seems stupid to remove freezers but leave shocks in, but then very little that KK does makes sense to me :)

KidWithStick
04-09-03, 01:31
go play SWG for your group combat...

StoneRayne
04-09-03, 01:57
Clown, stfu and goto a shooting galley. You know, the one in the real world, cuz you'll never get one in NC simply because you suck at PvP and whine more than bin laden.

Nidhogg
04-09-03, 01:59
I warned you. Closed.

N