PDA

View Full Version : Shop NC

d3ik
03-09-03, 00:28
An idea to help the struggling tradeskiller:

A tradeskiller should be able to open up a "Shop". It would be similar to the custom-app idea that has been going on with Phoenix LTD and other clans, but a more functional built-in feature.

You would buy a shop like any other apartment. There would be a specific 'shopping' district that would house these shops. On the administration end, the owner of the shop will be able to drag and drop items like a gogu... except be able to set a price on the items. Every shop will have an NPC like any other shop in NC. When right-clicked on it will bring up the items that the owner has clicked/dragged and set a price for.

There should be search functions built into the citycom terminals that allow you to search all shops for certain items (with price filters, etc) and tell you which shop it is available from w/ current available stock and the location of the store.

I think this would help on a number of levels. It would help the constant "WTB, WTT", etc going on in Plaza 1, not that free trade is not necessarily a bad thing... but honestly for anyone who has used the hawker system it is hardly as efficient as it could be. Also it would allow constructors to make a tidy profit because they can set their own item's prices. It would also make slotted items available on a wider scale instead of the "I know a constructor and he made this for me" situation.

Thoughts...?

Glyc
03-09-03, 00:42
yeh good idea. lets see if it gets implemented.

Benjie
03-09-03, 00:44
Yes, lets hope this gets implamented. It's really a great idea!

OpTi
03-09-03, 01:29
our PP clan wants an apt that looks like a lab where we do all our research and expriments and stuff too

there was a thread made around the time when phoenix on pluto had to have thier clan apt modifications removed to allow people to buy shops and it is an excelent idea, if i remember correctly i didn't see a single post that thought it was a bad idea and near if not all the votes were a yes to have player shops

X452
03-09-03, 01:53
sounds like a realy good idea..

but..... :P

the way i see it

it woule mean adding a lot of npc's, a lot of new appartments wich would probably result in a lot more lag

that has been my expeariance in other games dunnow how NC would handel it

RiX

Helen Angilley
03-09-03, 01:55
Originally posted by X452

RiX

EVE has a similar system (Give your items to a "broker" while setting a price, other players can then buy your things from the market place) and it doesn't seem to have any impact on the net traffic.

J a y
03-09-03, 02:06
sounds like a realy good idea..

but..... :P

the way i see it

it woule mean adding a lot of npc's, a lot of new appartments wich would probably result in a lot more lag

RiX

you do realise that what you posted doesnt make sence. only time you would see these apts/npcs is when your at the store area(if set up like apts are now one in each zone). so tecnicaly there would be no diffrence.

craio
03-09-03, 02:55
Originally posted by J a y
you do realise that what you posted doesnt make sence. only time you would see these apts/npcs is when your at the store area(if set up like apts are now one in each zone). so tecnicaly there would be no diffrence.

I disagree, client side not much will change ,but because it are custom items with a custom price attached to it which is held by a certain npc in a certain player his/her apt it might take up database space and such make the database slower...or am i thinking wrong?

Alex Mars
03-09-03, 03:47
It's a good idea but it will never happen. There is too much coding and testing required for a game with limited resources to accomplish given the other items on their plate.

SigmaDraconis
03-09-03, 03:49
This idea has been thrown out there by several people on several occasions including myself ...great idea..but well you know KK :D

Scikar
03-09-03, 03:51
This is in fact very similar to the CyberMall idea, which Callash has stated is one of 3 ideas (along with HackNet and Mechs) to be considered after DoY is released.

Sorry to burst your bubble Alex.

X452
03-09-03, 04:18
Originally posted by craio
I disagree, client side not much will change ,but because it are custom items with a custom price attached to it which is held by a certain npc in a certain player his/her apt it might take up database space and such make the database slower...or am i thinking wrong?

thats wot i was trying to get at

Scikar
03-09-03, 04:26
The only possible thing it could do is make the DB a tiny bit slower (it already handles far more information than this) which is not the same as increased lag. If the DB was a little slower that just means that stuff like the ingame forums might take 0.051 seconds to load instead of 0.050.

I really wish people woudn't say things like "It will cause a lot of lag" when that simply isn't true.

X452
03-09-03, 04:29
not realy, cos if say just half of the nc population went to set up shop, that would mean 1 npc each....

take for example saturn, at a good time u get 300+ ppl on

thats 150 new npc's in 150 new appartments and the npc's will all have different code depending on what items they are selling and at what price

thats a hell of a lot of data and a bitch of a code

Scikar
03-09-03, 04:32
not realy, cos if say just half of the nc population went to set up shop, that would mean 1 npc each....

take for example saturn, at a good time u get 300+ ppl on

thats 150 new npc's in 150 new appartments and the npc's will all have different code depending on what items they are selling and at what price

Are you a coder? Didn't think so. Why would the code have to be complicated? The only code used would be that already in place for vendors. So the only thing this would add is more data to the database. But this is a DB designed to store exactly this kind of stuff. Pluto has 1/4 of the listed characters on its DB, because there's only one character for every account there. Yet there is no difference in performance between the Pluto DB and the Saturn DB.

d3ik
03-09-03, 04:44

Well, I hate to correct (and I usually don't post on my own poll threads), but here goes:

Each apartment (varying by level) is the same. It is the same textures, it is typically the same layout. When you buy/create an apartment you are making an entry in the database that has a unique identifier, your owner information, and some other info depending on how KK has their database setup.

Those entries in the database just kind of sit there, as any information in a database would, until it is queried. The query can happen at a couple different times, when you open a cabinet etc. Most things in Neocron are just a shell, built on the client side, and just filled with information from the server. When you access your Gogu, when you access your GenRep locations... your Neocron game client doesn't have to ask the server what a Gogu looks like or what a GenRep looks like. It has those textures already on your computer. It is told what texture to map, etc (i believe, again not my code) but it does not cause an excess strain on anything.

In the shop scenario everything would be pre-fabricated. Your client follows the layout that has been created and pre-determined before you even enter the apartment. When you click on the NPC, you're querying the database and asking for every item that has your unique shop identifier. From that entry you are getting the item info and price that is set by the user. This is only queried when the NPC is clicked on, so the overhead on the database is fairly minimal. Basically it's a little more than clicking on a Gogu.

I am about ready to go to sleep now so this might seem a little abstract, but those are the basics. A lot of this would be re-using code. They already have written code for creating/assigning apartments. The NPC would be a replica of the Cryton's NPCs. In the end this is just a combination of a customized Gogu (that looks like an NPC) in an apartment. Questions?