PDA

View Full Version : Forum suggestion: shorten the minimum world length in the search field

Mantus
02-09-03, 21:18
I would like to suggest that the minimum word length in this forum’s search option be decreased from four letters down to two.

NC has allot of abbreviations and it becomes almost impossible to search for useful information when one is restricted to using only four letter words. Yes there is the wild card search. But it doesn’t work if you search for more then one word. Which obviously doesn’t get you anywhere if you search for something like say “PE”.

Here is what I was trying to find today “Leveling PE PSI” Even though this topic was probably covered many times I cant search for any of those threads. This is just one of the many examples. PE is just an abbreviation that’s used by the community but the word SPY cant even be searched for and it’s a name of a class in the game.

So there you have it, please consider this small improvement for the forum, thanks.

Archeus
02-09-03, 21:32
Had this problem in a different forum. Try..

PSI*

or PE*

.. someone please ban warrior all he is doing is spamming the same thing on all the threads o_O

Originally posted by Forseti
I'll talk to Dafire about this one. I'm sure he set it to 4 for a reason.

As far as I remember it's a limitation with the boards (for indexing). Using an asterix should get around it.

thewarrior008
02-09-03, 21:33
U MEAN SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEX

Forseti
02-09-03, 21:34
I'll talk to Dafire about this one. I'm sure he set it to 4 for a reason.

kurai
02-09-03, 21:42
The minimum search string length is designed to reach a compromise between functionality and system overhead.

Any shorter and you'd utterly destroy performance of the system.

Tycho C
02-09-03, 21:47
I have to admit that shorter would be nice, I keep running into the minnimum too.

But like Kurai said, and I have likewise figured, there are technical reasons behind the decision.

Mantus
02-09-03, 21:52
Originally posted by Archeus
Had this problem in a different forum. Try..

PSI*

or PE*

.. someone please ban warrior all he is doing is spamming the same thing on all the threads o_O

As far as I remember it's a limitation with the boards (for indexing). Using an asterix should get around it.

The wildcard search doesn’t work because it will time out if you try to search for more then one word

Just searching for say "*PE*" gets you like 1000 hits. But if you try to limit the hits by searching for lets say "Leveling *PE*” then you get this error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/neocron/forum/search.php on line 414

Mantus
02-09-03, 21:53
Originally posted by kurai
The minimum search string length is designed to reach a compromise between functionality and system overhead.

Any shorter and you'd utterly destroy performance of the system.

Thats really too bad :( perhaps if they allowed the use of multiple wildcards then.

kurai
02-09-03, 21:55
Originally posted by Mantus
Thats really too bad :( perhaps if they allowed the use of multiple wildcards then. Use of wildcards only makes the situation worse.

Omnituens
02-09-03, 22:15
nah you just want to search for "DoY", but since thats hiding in OZ7, you wont find it.

jernau
03-09-03, 07:13
Three seems a more sensible minimum IMO with the number of TLAs people use around here.

Cass
03-09-03, 09:19
Originally posted by jernau
Three seems a more sensible minimum IMO with the number of TLAs people use around here. AFAIK, TLA's are SOP for MMORPG PPL. GMTA!