PDA

View Full Version : Help updating bios on windows xp

CryptoChronic
02-09-03, 14:57
Hey, Im having a little trouble upgrading the bios of my asus a7v333 mobo on windows xp.. i put the new bios + the flash memory writer utility on a floppy but the problem is i need to get into real dos to run the flash writer to update bios yet windows xp suposedly does not have dos. I went to microsoft.com to download a win xp boot disk but its 4 meg so it doesnt fit on a floppy lol.. anyone got any ideas? thx in advance for answering my n00b question :p

hinch
02-09-03, 14:59
cant you set boot from floppy?

or press the control key (f8 still?) on the winxp boot screen to get the boot loader menu up

enablerbr
02-09-03, 15:00
you could try the c promt command in winxp. else try the asustek site and see if they do a windows bios updater. i know aopen and gigabyte do.

edit: this i think is what you want. asus (http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=Tools&Type=Latest)

OpTi
02-09-03, 15:05
is the drive on ntfs or on FAT32?

if it's on fat32 get someone with windows 98 to make you a boot disk, if it's NTFS you have to get a bootdisk that can read ntfs dunno how you'd get one tho i've never needed to

CryptoChronic
02-09-03, 15:06
i tried booting from floppy but it sais take out floppy disk and press any key to restart.... and no asus doesnt have a windows bios updater and no you cant run the flash memory writer in the windows dos prompt cause its not really dos...

Archeus
most bios flashers make a bootable 3.5" disk. Just make sure your machine is set to boot from A drive and slap the disk in.

Otherwise all you need is a DOS boot disk as your flashing the bios not booting into XP.

If you don't have one -> http://www.bootdisk.com/

enablerbr
thats funny cause i just gave a link to a windows bios updater from the asus site.

you can always make a boot cdrom. if you use nerorom.

here another link for boot disk images that you don't need to pay to download. http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

CryptoChronic
02-09-03, 15:08
ASUS Update V5.16.01 Install Program for Windows 95/98/ME/NT40/2000/XP.

... wtf how did i miss that o_O lol thx...

enablerbr
02-09-03, 15:10
no problems. i'm just used to looking for stuff in many different ways.

hinch
02-09-03, 15:12
Originally posted by CryptoChronic
ASUS Update V5.16.01 Install Program for Windows 95/98/ME/NT40/2000/XP.

... wtf how did i miss that o_O lol thx...

nubling

The Vulgarian
02-09-03, 15:13
1) Insert a blank floppy to your drive
2) Open "My Computer"
3) Right-click the floppy drive icon and select "Format..."

There should be a checkbox labeled something like "Create a MS-DOS startup disk".
Check the checkbox and format the disk. ---> there's your DOS.

Now you can copy the flash utility & bios to this disk and use it to boot. If you have your bios set to boot from floppy first of course.

BTW: if you have a relatively recent ASUS MB, you can use an ASUS update utility that should be on the MB driver disk to DL and update your BIOS on Windows XP without needing to boot to DOS.

[ EDIT: Too slow... :P ]

DonnyJepp
02-09-03, 15:41
Originally posted by The Vulgarian
1) Insert a blank floppy to your drive
2) Open "My Computer"
3) Right-click the floppy drive icon and select "Format..."

There should be a checkbox labeled something like "Create a MS-DOS startup disk".
Check the checkbox and format the disk. ---> there's your DOS.

Now you can copy the flash utility & bios to this disk and use it to boot. If you have your bios set to boot from floppy first of course.

BTW: if you have a relatively recent ASUS MB, you can use an ASUS update utility that should be on the MB driver disk to DL and update your BIOS on Windows XP without needing to boot to DOS.

[ EDIT: Too slow... :P ]

What he said :)

/edit My new Asus A7N8X Deluxe absolutely rocks!