PDA

View Full Version : Something that can maybe be copied from Origin...

Dream
02-09-03, 05:51
Hi.

I have a problem, and im sure others do too. There is some great third party programs out there for neocron...skill managers, rare part managers, launchers...etc....

My problem is I want to use them, but I don't trust the fact that they could be used to take my login/password/etc...

What Origin Systems has in place for Ultima Online is a Stamp of Approval sort of thing. Third party programs made for Ultima Online are ILLEGAL to use, *UNLESS* they are marked as OK by Origin Systems. How are they marked as OK? The source code for the program is sent to Origin and then after inspection to see whether the program should be legal or not, it is put up for official download directly from origin themselves.

I think KK could do this, not take hours and hours to check every detail, just have thier coders do a quick check over the app to make sure there is no spyware/etc within it, and then host it at neocron.com for download. This way, neocron users can be sure that the program is safe to use...and neocron 3rd party app developers can safely distribute thier applications within the community without people being spectacle about it.

Good/bad idea?

Nvidia
02-09-03, 05:56
Excellent Idea, 5 stars from me.

ZoneVortex
02-09-03, 05:57
Good idea 100%

Pwnage
02-09-03, 06:00
Yeah, awesome idea.

Lethal Virus
02-09-03, 06:02
Awesome Idea :cool:

ClownBoat
02-09-03, 06:03
Let's not forget these programs charge a monthly fee that is fucking ridiculious.

Let us also not forget that UO assist is a huge advantage in pvp. Someone without UO assist simply cannot beat someone without it.

Third party software has no place in MMORPGs.

This idea is awful. .00000000005 stars or something gay like that.

ZoneVortex
02-09-03, 06:07
She didn't say that there would be identical programs for NC as those that may have altered UO negatively, but more just a way to make sure that while downloading that new Launcher skin you're not getting a virus put onto your comp with it.

Dream
02-09-03, 06:13
Originally posted by ClownBoat
Let's not forget these programs charge a monthly fee that is fucking ridiculious.

Let us also not forget that UO assist is a huge advantage in pvp. Someone without UO assist simply cannot beat someone without it.

One of them costs a monthly fee. The rest do not.

And I am not talking about programs that alter memory and the game itself.

Thanks but no thanks for your useless reply.

Marx
02-09-03, 06:21
Nice idea.

Mr Friendly
02-09-03, 06:32

my god, wrong on apu idea & wrong on this.
()()()()()()()())()()(()))()))(()))())()()(()()()()()())()())(()
i have the launcher & skillmanager / downloaded em from some site cant remember........err.....too late so just search THIS SITE (http://neocroncentral.net/)
they might have the skillmanager there i think.

also, the RPOS color changer thingy can be downloaded at G.0.D.'s site HERE (http://www.g0dsoft.com)

careful with which launcher u download though, i think that was what one of the login takin thing was disguised as

ClownBoat
02-09-03, 06:50
third party programs are an invitation for hackers to fuck things up.

they shouldn't be allowed.

the only thing worse than a psi monk is a cheating psi monk!

Marx
02-09-03, 06:53
She's talking about stuff like rare-part managers you twit.

Dream
02-09-03, 07:03

The problem with you and Style and the rest of your HATE friends is you're all still stuck in the olden days of Neocron where the Lib PE and the CS tank = WIN and everything else = LOSE.

Time to move on. This game is actually somewhat balanced now.

Mr Friendly
02-09-03, 07:05

:D yet another person who sux at killin monks :D :lol:

Iffy Boatrace
02-09-03, 07:11
Good idea. They remind me of the progs for AO like nano nanny and clicksaver. They in no way give you an advantage but instead assist in keeping track and making order of the million-and-one things you have to deal with in an mmorpg.

Lady Boatrace is an avid AO player and highly recommends them

DonnyJepp
02-09-03, 07:16
The coders can't even get the bugs out of their own software and you want to task them with reviewing and certifying 3rd party gizmos?

KK isn't Origin, not by about $200 million in the bank.

I don't need KK to hold my had to use a spreadsheet, that's what most of the character utilities/rare trackers etc are. Try starting up a packet sniffer when you run these things, or even 8| unhook from the internet!

ClownBoat
02-09-03, 20:30
Dream, stay on topic please.

I understand you are jealous that you lack(ed) the skills required to join a clan such as hate. Keep trying and one of these days you might be half way good enough kiddo. Until then, stfu please and stay on topic.

KimmyG
02-09-03, 20:31
I give it a jolly kim gort stamp of approval

@clown can I join hate? I can sit on the boards and cry nerf all day 2 I think I would ba an asset

Alex Mars
02-09-03, 20:46
Originally posted by DonnyJepp
The coders can't even get the bugs out of their own software and you want to task them with reviewing and certifying 3rd party gizmos?

KK isn't Origin, not by about $200 million in the bank.

I don't need KK to hold my had to use a spreadsheet, that's what most of the character utilities/rare trackers etc are. Try starting up a packet sniffer when you run these things, or even 8| unhook from the internet!

Not only that, but with only 3 coders it would take a long, long time to get anything certified. I'm not sure the people waiting for this would have the patience required to wait for the seal of approval to be given.

Iffy Boatrace
02-09-03, 20:50
That was a right good jibe there miss kimmy, seems that in HATE, the kids are NOT alright.

Lady Boatrace commented that if she read one more of those "we want weapon drops etc..etc..etc" complaints she'd probably go balistic and run down to the tenant farmers cottage in our Hillman Minx estate wagon and throttle their heavily tattoo'd layabout son.

Just for sh*ts and giggles of course :)

Dazist
02-09-03, 20:59
Would be great, especially for new players. Veterans know which programs are good, safe and useful. New players don't really know about these progs and might download without knowing the dangers of 3rd party progs. Just some official page on Neocron frontpage with some kk approved programs would be good.

Smugly
03-09-03, 01:26
Nice idea, but I'd say it's just impractical at the moment. I just don't think KK would really have the manpower to deal with something like this. And to be honest if it was a toss up between further Cron development and them checking a rare parts manager, I'd rather they plugged some of the gaping holes in the game first such as Clan wars and sorting out the missions.