PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone keep Tarantulas....i need advice

Eckel
02-09-03, 04:42
Anyone keep T's?

I need some advice on a few things and well i'm sure someone can help me :)

Genode my biggest T. and she's a very active she has always glass climbed but always kepts her back 2 legs and her abdomen on the substrate, I've just set up my heat mat rdy for the UK's autumn and winter.... I've put my heat mat on the side of her viv and she's decided she wants to climb on the heat mat side of the viv, 3-4 inches off the substrate. Due to the temp of my room i've got condensation inside the viv.... The last thing i want is Genode to slip on some condensation thats built up and fall, shes aG.rosea so a fall could dmg her abdomen and prolly kill her :(....

I've never used heat mats before so i dont know whats what with them...... Any advice would be great.....

PM ,Irc, or post here :)

Thx

SilentGravity
02-09-03, 05:35
oooo, wirly ying yang...oo...linky under wirly....AHH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Eckel
02-09-03, 05:48
oooo.....idiot.. oo big silly spamming idiot.. AHH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

I got my info thx...............

Close me plz :)

Tregard
02-09-03, 17:09
8|

That is a big spider....

That is a *very* BIG spider....

You don't live on the US East Coast do you? If you do I'm moving!:eek:

Q`alooaith
02-09-03, 17:17
Originally posted by Tregard
8|

That is a big spider....

That is a *very* BIG spider....

You don't live on the US East Coast do you? If you do I'm moving!:eek:

UK, so I'm moving...
:eek:

Smugly
02-09-03, 17:31
Uggh.... big hairy spiders as pets. It just makes me cringe.....

have you tried asking wherever you got the spider from? I reckon they'd be your best bet.

Q`alooaith
02-09-03, 17:41
Originally posted by Smugly
Uggh.... big hairy spiders as pets. It just makes me cringe.....

have you tried asking wherever you got the spider from? I reckon they'd be your best bet.

Hmmm, unless it was found under the bed.....

*packs bags*

Lookout santa, I'm moving in. o_O

Eckel
02-09-03, 17:43
I got my info thx :)......

All it need was the simplest thing.... spray with water the side the mat is on ....whe she goes to climb it'll be wet so she wont :)

Last night i was like Jonesy from Dads Army "dont panic dont panic " :D

Yeh she is big-ish ....only a 4 inch body, not measured her legs yet .....

Deighton
02-09-03, 17:48
What i know from other pets, is, that they enjoy lying under some sort of "infrared light". This light is used often by farmers to warm young ducks, or chickens.

Dunno much about spiders, but i understood, she needs a warm enviroment. Here are some thoughts about it:

1. Try the infrared light, but be carefull with it. To near to the cage or the cage without the chance of air exchanged, could make it too hot for her.

2. Try to put the heat thingie UNDER the cage and place some heatpiping material over it, like shale or an other sort of stone, maybe even sand. It'll take a time to warm the sand and to emmit warmness.

3. Having had a fish tank, i also had a heater in it, to keep up the needed water temperature for the fish. May grave the heater in the cage and do like #2.

Hope this could help.

And sorry for my bad english.

/EDIT uh, i see, i am to late and i even got the question wrong.... sorry folks

BuZzeR
02-09-03, 17:49
does she bite? isnt it supposed to be deadly or sumthin?8|

Eckel
02-09-03, 17:52
Thx Deighton , i've spoken to a few ppl today who suggested heat lights.... I may go with that idea...... I'll see how it goes with the mat :)

Also I need to get humidity so anything under the viv will not give me good humitity, on the side of the viv ..if i mist water on the side of the mat will give me the humidity...i shoulda done that last night but it never crossed my mind :)

BuZzeR

Yeh they do bite .....all T's bite and have venom.....depending what T you got depends on how bad the bite will be....... G.rosea bites are the same toxicisdy (spelling) as a bee/wasp and will swell up for a few days...... Old world spiders.....the ones that come from Asia & Africa have a stronger venom and will put u in pain for about a week........ btw mines a new world spider ....which come from S.America are'nt as quick to bite... they'd rather run away or flick uricating hairs at ya.... heres a mpeg of a spider flicking hairs (http://giantspiders.crosswinds.net/urtication.mpeg) :)