PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to type in your password every time you play?

mclayton
01-09-03, 23:58
There is a new patch on the test server that makes you type in your password every time you play (or log on after fatals etc.). As we know, test server stuff normally hits retail pretty quick, so here is a chance to give your opinion.

I'd like to know how many peoples passwords have been hacked to do this? Apparently hackers can get your password using keyloggers so it makes no difference, but it seems a pain in the arse to me. Opinions invited.

mclayton
02-09-03, 00:02
Sorry. Completely fucked up and forgot to post a poll. It's late, I'm pissed and stoned so bollocks! If you don' tlike the idea just say so, if you think hackers are all out to get your NC password, feel free to say so too.

MortuusLupus
02-09-03, 00:04
It's not that bad, actually. Eventually you get to the point where you can type in your 12 char password in one second or less. It could be worse, though. In Earth and Beyond if you crash, sometimes you can't even log back in. At least with Neocron you can, and go right back into your character.

Mumblyfish
02-09-03, 00:04
Given the fact that every faction I visit gets pissed off at me for killing their own (plus some), doubtless hordes of evil hackers are out to steal my ones and zeros! ONOZ!

But I couldn't give a shit. If I get hacked I'll reroll. Until then, don't test my patience by forcing me to type my bloody irritating password over and over and over.

Shadow Dancer
02-09-03, 00:05
It's going to be a pain in the ass because of crashes, and "triple log-ins" due to synching.

athon
02-09-03, 00:05
Personally, I have a firewall protecting my network, so no ones getting in. I am careful about what programs I run. I also have an antivirus, the good ones will pick up key loggers as a type of trojan.

I also have a neat utility by a guy called 'Mike Lin' that asks you when a program tries to put stuff in your startup whether you want it or not. I highly recommend it. Can't remember the URL, but just google for 'Mike Lin' and it should be the first result.

Athon Solo

Judge
02-09-03, 00:18
I don't mind tbh... I have always typed in my password so I have had alot of practice. :D

KimmyG
02-09-03, 00:41
my 1st thought was yes but after trying it on test it was ok for 5 mins.

You really notice problems when you gotta time it.

Start neocron type in password.
Crash type in password.
Sync bug type in password.
Player not timed out yet type in password.

It really get annoying.

Ste-X
02-09-03, 00:43
ill change my password to 1 letter long

Magnazan
02-09-03, 01:25
It's such a stupid idea probably the dumbest idea KK has thought of so far. usually i don't say anything about patches and new implementations but this has to be the shittest due to the huge amount of crashes myself and i'm sure everyone else experiences.

DOWN WITH TYPING PASSWORDS

Don't make everyone pay for stupid people who can't secure their own machine. :mad:

ZoneVortex
02-09-03, 01:27
Do you want to type in your password every time you play?

No not really.

kurai
02-09-03, 01:31
No, I don't. It's bad enough on the bloody test server.
I spend 95% of my time on the retail server, and crash there with the same kind of frequency. It will be massively irritating.

I haven't banged on about the security implications (i.e. lack of) because I and others expounded at length on the subject in previous threads when the change was announced.

See:-
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71707

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72208

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72231

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72365

Whether anyone in a position to actually do something about it either
a) Read any of it.
b) Cares.
... is unknown.

Nish
02-09-03, 01:33
Dunno about everyone else but normally I can type it all in while it loads before I can even enter.

Eckel
02-09-03, 01:42
I'm the same Nish
Altho some of my wonderfull typo's get in the way ...but i can only blame myself for that ;)

Even with save password sometimes i'll sync out and log in to find myself dead anyways so i dont see the problem with typing in ya p/w

Nidhogg
02-09-03, 02:07
Originally posted by Ste-X
ill change my password to 1 letter long I'm afraid the password has to be at least 5 (and at most 12) characters long.

N

nEo-1664
02-09-03, 02:09
IMO, weather or not it counts, is that there is an option to 'save' your password, or not. now if this doesnt work, believe me, it does take a genius to find it in the registery, but since there is that option to save or not to save, i dont think KK should remove the option completely. just try to enhance the warnings of having your password saved, thats all. but i cant see them thinking like that :(

LTA
02-09-03, 02:10
No it's going to be a friggin pain in the ass, the amount of times i fre and have various bugs it really will just get on my nipples

Helen Angilley
02-09-03, 02:13
Fail to see how typing in five characters at the minimum is that big of a pain.

Just reeks of laziness if you ask me.

nEo-1664
02-09-03, 02:16
cant argue with that comment Helen, as it happens my pw is something like 5 or 6 characters, and tbh is v easy to type in quickly, so im not bothered by it. jus get off ya ass's and do something rather than let KK do it 4 u.....tho my previous point is still valid, it a current option and should stay that way.

Helen Angilley
02-09-03, 02:18
Originally posted by nEo-1664
cant argue with that comment Helen, as it happens my pw is something like 5 or 6 characters, and tbh is v easy to type in quickly, so im not bothered by it. jus get off ya ass's and do something rather than let KK do it 4 u.....tho my previous point is still valid, it a current option and should stay that way.

True, it should be an option rather than "the way", but still....it just amazes me how some people here are so bloody lazy.

Change your password, remember it then keep typing it until you can recall the thing with barely a thought.

Simple.

Although I suppose it's asking too much of some people here.

KimmyG
02-09-03, 02:22
Yes I used to think like that how hard is it?
Well go spend a few hours on the test server and come back and tell me that but I doubt it matters to helen she chats on the board all day.

It = more time in after a crash those few seconds can me life and death also as I said before it gets annoying on a perfect game sure you have to retype at evey error.

World failed to load
join proxy failed
character still in
Fatal error
random sync
just wanna log in
just wanna change chars.

Add all this up it is a lot to deal with and pisses you right off add this people will be bitching about it within an hour of patching and im talking major bitching save yourself some trouble KK dont add this. 98% Will not enjoy this addition to the game.

LTA
02-09-03, 02:23
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
True, it should be an option rather than "the way", but still....it just amazes me how some people here are so bloody lazy.

Change your password, remember it then keep typing it until you can recall the thing with barely a thought.

Simple.

Typing 5 chars in near 50 times a day just to play or log in with another error becomes a full on pain in the ass and dont say i dont need to type it in that many times because i do due to the amount of things that go wrong.
If the game didnt fre on me or sync or lose my right click etc then it wouldnt be so bad the fact i could log on and stay logged on for more than half an hour.

Mankind
02-09-03, 02:25
But why does our password have to be at least 5 characters long?

But why do we have to type in our password everytime?

Why???

Mmm I have alot to say but I'll try to keep it short. Neocron is intended for a mature audience. What's dumb is that stupid people make mistakes like giving our their account information or download 3rd party programs without GM's saying they are clean and then blame it on something else (the password saving function). And then the people who ARE responsible with their account and computer get punished?

And it's not really the GMs fault. They are just trying to help the people who have had problems, but they need to stop helping dumb people because those people need to learn from their mistakes. Kinda like the compensation rule. People abuse something, and we all pay. Fair? No.

kurai
02-09-03, 02:27
Of course - there's one other issue - I'll bring it up again as the view count on the other threads isn't rising much ...

IT DOESN'T FIX EITHER OF THE TWO PROBLEMS IT PURPORTS TO ADDRESS.

Omnituens
02-09-03, 03:25
what i dont get is that this will make the problem with key loggers WORSE as you have to type your password.

right?

patch will be out after i quit, so dont affect me.

*finds password out so i can log back in when i return*

KidWithStick
02-09-03, 03:29
no...i logged on there today and noticed that... i had to relog 6 times because of syncing and fatals...it was driving me insane to have to retype the PW...they better not let that go live

Cass
02-09-03, 08:07
I wouldn't mind if I had to re-enter my PW every time I log on.

I would mind if I had to re-enter my PW every time I crash.

:rolleyes:

MjukisDjur
02-09-03, 11:19
Having to type the password every time you login is a crappy idea. Cheers

djskum
02-09-03, 11:40
Originally posted by Nidhogg
I'm afraid the password has to be at least 5 (and at most 12) characters long.

N

qwerty? ;-)

I don't like the idea and will it cut down on hacks?... A keyboard logging trojan would be more effective if you have to type your pswd in everytime...

DjSKum

Breschau
02-09-03, 11:58
Fail to see how typing in five characters at the minimum is that big of a pain.

Just reeks of laziness if you ask me.

To my mind, lazy would be avoiding effort because you just have an aversion to effort.

This is avoiding effort because it's annoying yet serves no purpose.

It's like calling someone lazy because they're unwilling to put in the extra effort of putting their shoes on before their trousers when getting dressed in the morning - both that and the current method gets the same end result (clothes & shoes on) but one has unnecessary effort and inconvenience.

In the password issues' case, the end result is 1) we get logged onto neocron and 2) over time some people's accounts will become compromised through easily guessed passwords, sharing accounts, and 3rd party applications. All that varies is the amount of inconvenience (typing password or not) and which type of trojan goes into the 3rd party applications.

alig
02-09-03, 12:02
It aint going to bother me, its hardly hard to do, unless u got a 25 character password which im pretty damn sure not one of u have.

djskum
02-09-03, 12:07
It's not so much the doing it that's annoying. Hell I've got an uber secure password that I can type in, in aprox .5 secs. My issue is, will it make the login process more secure? My guess is no. Appart from the Trojans, peeps will be changing there password to something they can remember/type in faster. Not all the players of NC are anal sys admins so will choose pet names, middle names etc. These are all easy to guess. I personaly think it's a false economy.

DjSKum

ezza
02-09-03, 12:38
Do you want to type in your password every time you play?

i already do so nothing new to me, a i have 2 accounts,saves me having to remove the account name and pword everytime

El Barto
02-09-03, 12:39
Don't bother me, I type mine in all the time any ways.

Richard Slade
02-09-03, 12:41
Me luvs not having to type PW since keyloggers won't find the PW first of all and also it's faster to log in.
And if someone get's himself hacked and loses his stuff...
Get some damn knowledge about what u shouldn't download =P

Oath
02-09-03, 13:39
The retype your password thing is for security purposes, if its not stored in registry means its harder to steal it, and thats a good thing, anyone that saves there password to your registry then HAX.............i did for a while

Oath
02-09-03, 13:42
Originally posted by djskum
Not all the players of NC are anal sys admins so will choose pet names, middle names etc. These are all easy to guess.

DjSKum

NNNNNNAwwwwwwwwww i change mny pass every five seconds (minor over exageration) and im not a sys admin.........i play guitar though so that makes my Anal :p :D .

Matter of choice, if you dont have AV software or spybot trackers on your sys, then its your balls if it all goes wrong

@ ALI.......my pwl ranges from 11 - 15 letters and uses all the *ahem* 'recommended' chars etc.....but thats all BS, get your self an uber registry/password encryptor!!! again i scream HAX

/edit Double posting...........Sorry

ericdraven
02-09-03, 13:50
Originally posted by Oath
The retype your password thing is for security purposes, if its not stored in registry means its harder to steal it, and thats a good thing, anyone that saves there password to your registry then HAX.............i did for a while

Well if you are such a 1337 h4x0r then it makes me wonder that you never heard anything about "keyloggers" and the fact that they are by far more popular than registry sniffers.

Oath
02-09-03, 14:00
Originally posted by ericdraven
Well if you are such a 1337 h4x0r then it makes me wonder that you never heard anything about "keyloggers" and the fact that they are by far more popular than registry sniffers.

I never said that i was a 1337 H4x0r :rolleyes:, you assumed i was simply because i wrote Hax? .........in fact i dont know a great deal about computer software .....but.....keyloggers are picked up (the majority are) by AV software, like i said, as are most trojans, that coupled with spybot killers and encrypted registrys / passwords give you a little safety from the 1337 H4x0r script kiddies.........wich was my point.

Fact is there are knobs out there that wil exploit peoples lack of knowledge about their system, learn, adapt, overcome, then screw dead droms.

My other point, we already had a barmy over forum eric, i was wrong about it, dont start another.

Point 3, the so called leet hackers that inflict this shit upon us are no more than point and click hackers, if im wrong then please tell me, but dont be a tit, im more than capable of that myself :p .

So........please try to read my posts more before posting your opinions, there wil be less confusion.

Oath.

ericdraven
02-09-03, 14:06
Sad but true.. but i think there are still (too) many people around who does not use (UPDATED) AV software nor firewalls.

And yes, i think 99.9% of the so called "h4x0rs" (better word - scriptkiddies) are point and klick hackers, as you said. But still - it's easier to point and klick a keylogger than to sniff thru the registry, IMHO.

Therefore not saving the password will NOT do it's purpose of increasing the security, IMHO, it will just be another pain in the ass especially to those users who suffer from frequent runtime errors.

AND those users will start to use passwords like "x" (don't know if there is a length restriction, if yes, then they will use "12345" or "qwert" and so on.. very hard to guess, yes.. o_O )

Oath
02-09-03, 14:10
Originally posted by ericdraven
But still - it's easier to point and klick a keylogger than to sniff thru the registry, IMHO.

True, point made and taken....... and its also easier to make a keylogger i spose...........but hey.......lets all be happy saying they have no sex :rolleyes: :D :D :angel:

OMG OMG KOS KOS HAX :)

Thanks,

Oath.

Psychoninja
02-09-03, 14:12
Do you seriously know how hard it is to type in my pw?

8|

Takes me atleast 20 secs, not good when I crash in PP. Every second counts.

Richard Slade
02-09-03, 14:38
Let me just nod and agree with Ninja. Getting fatal in PP and having to type in the damn PW is NOT a funny thing to do!!

KimmyG
02-09-03, 15:34
I reallly dont think anyone who doesn't have a problem with this change understands how often you need to type your password in.

ezza
02-09-03, 15:55
kimmy i already type my pword in everytime, and so its not a problem for me, after typing it for the 1000th time i kinda do it real fast now

SigmaDraconis
02-09-03, 16:19
gee sorry NO i am not so lazy that im going to complain about typing 2 fecking words that takes me all of 1.7 seconds......

LTA
02-09-03, 16:28
The option should still remain..... with just a fat warning the first time round saying BLAH DE BLAH KEYSTEALERS ETC then its entirly your fault if you get haxed when you stored your passy.
Although it's still gonna be your fault when your account gets haxed anyway "Dont hand acc info out, I didnt honesty, Lies blah no stuff back for you!"

mystery8
02-09-03, 20:24

Simple.

Now if Neocron was very stable and didn't often crash at inconvienent times, your comment would hold weight.

Most of the times my login attempts would result in endless synch forcing me to logout or restart to the client. Sometimes as many as 4 times. I'm aware other people may not have this problem, I'm also aware that other people do. Of course, perhaps in your quest to scream (keeping language nice for the mods) at everyone, you forgot that.

Forcing us to have to type in our passwords each time in the name of "security" is beyond stupidity. If people want to steal someone's password, there are other ways. I hope this doesn't make it into retail.

Alex Mars
02-09-03, 20:34
Back in the days of UO there were websites that could steal the cached login name and password from your computer, this is why you can't cache your UO password anymore.

It's an intelligence test: if someone is stupid and lazy let them cache their password so it can be stolen.

I just wish the client would remember my login name.