PDA

View Full Version : Stealth devices in Safe Zones.

Judge
01-09-03, 20:13
I have been thinking of this for spys. I think that Spies could have a huge roll in actaully spying if stealth devices worked in safe zones.

Having a spy that could shadow an enemy clan member to find out their apt lift, or if you are into roleplaying avoid the copbots as a TG whilst buying supplies straight from the heart of your enemies.

This would be especially cool for DoY, as City spies could get into DoY because its not a safe zone (thats what we have heard) and yet DoY spies won't be able to get into City because of Safe Zones and copbots. This would gives spies added roles,and not just for combat, also for spying.

I don't think that this would unbalance the game in any way, because you still can't shoot in safe zones and can't shoot whilst stealthed so nothing has really changed.

Anyway what do you think?

Lethys
01-09-03, 20:14
Yes please. 5 stars :)

enablerbr
01-09-03, 20:20
using stealth in safe zones is good. though why copbots think your using a weapon.:wtf:
i've never seen a copbot draw on me for using a spy/heal/support etc... spell in a safe zone.

Roc-a-fella
01-09-03, 20:22
Flatline i think not. 5 stars.

Judge
01-09-03, 20:26
Who voted no? I want a debate if you think different.

Why is it always that people who vote away from the average never post their reasons?

I mean OMG OMG might spies actually be useful now?

Shadow Dancer
01-09-03, 20:27
Originally posted by Judge
Who voted no? I want a debate if you think different.

Why is it always that people who vote away from the average never post their reasons?

rofl I know how you feel.

ANyhow I vote yes.

Style
01-09-03, 20:30
i like your ideas :)

Tratos
01-09-03, 20:32
Nice, Five Stars

~T

Psychoninja
01-09-03, 20:33
As annoying as Stealthers are I have to agree with this. It would give Spy's a larger role, sneaking into and out of cities.

der Ed
01-09-03, 20:38
Yes. But zoning removes stealth.
Otherwise you'll have stealthing zonecampers :rolleyes:

IceStorm
01-09-03, 20:42
Yes. But zoning removes stealth.
Since when? I've stealthed in my apt lift and gone down to Plaza 4, then zoned to Plaza 1, all while staying stealthed. I also stealth just before crossing zone borders in the wastes. The stealth effect continues to be present after zoning.

Judge
01-09-03, 20:51
I think he meant that it should remove stealth.

Oh yeah and can you rate this thread if you vote on it :D

enablerbr
01-09-03, 20:53
lol if zoning removed stealth. then all buffs would have to be removed when zoning.

Judge
01-09-03, 20:56
I personally don't see the problem if stealth stayed on through zoning.... as if you wanted to zone camp you could just have the stealth device out ready for stealthing after zoning. Makes no difference. Also of course you can't shoot whilst stealthed, so no problems there.

hnlecter
01-09-03, 20:57
nOS TEH STALEHT IS OVER PWERED i CANT SHOOT TEHM!!!!@1
wIF DEY CAN CLOAK IN SAFE ZONES AND HAVE SOMETHING USEFUL IT SHOULDNT BE!!!!@

I think this is a good idea.

Judge
01-09-03, 21:13
Come on... can people who voted no please start a debate on the matter please. You have your opinions and you have a right to keep them, we just want to know what they are.

CyTeCH
01-09-03, 21:26

NOOO IT CANT BE, VOTE NO WE CANT SUDDENLY BECOME USEFULL o_O

Cass
01-09-03, 22:10
voted yes.

Never runderstood why a stealth device is considered a weapon anyways. What, are you going to stealth someone to death?

CyTeCH
01-09-03, 22:14
Originally posted by Cass
voted yes.

Never runderstood why a stealth device is considered a weapon anyways. What, are you going to stealth someone to death?

cant you see the headlines in a future NEMA?

TOP STORY. Man gets beaten to death im plaza with stealth tool :rolleyes:

Zokk
01-09-03, 22:15
Yes please.

DonnyJepp
01-09-03, 22:27
Watch out for cloaked thieves standing next to popular tradeskillers. They'll open up trade first and fool all kinds of n00bs.

Smugly
01-09-03, 22:30
Yes to the idea of using them in safe zones. There's so many ways around it that it's just silly not to be able to. (Stealth in sewers, then come back out to zone etc).

As for why it's a weapon, well actually I kind of agree with it being on a similar scale. I don't think the CityAdmin likes the idea of hundreds of freelance spies doing whatever the hell they like thanks to nobody being able to look over their shoulders when they are stealthed.

Mangus
01-09-03, 22:37
Good idea, if a city spy can sneak around TH, TG or DOY so should outsiders in the city.

FBI
01-09-03, 22:55
Although there are some good reasons to allow this but i voted
no because of the following reasons:

1) It will be used to grief newcommers in their apartment
(haunted house comes to mind actually :) )

2) It will be abused in more bad ways than good like alot of
things in neocron.

3) If they change npcs to no longer target stealth spys then
people with bad soullight will be free to roam as they please.

4) GM's have the ability to be invisible as well, but in safe zones
they should only have this ability and no other runner for obvious
reasons. If this stealth device existed back when EON duped,
maybe they never would have been caught? Think about it.

Wait for a neptune server if you want unique stuff to be allowed
in safe zones.

Alternatively, you can abuse the game mechanics and go into a
sewer, activate the stealth device and zone back into plaza. So
in actuality, this is already allowed and exists. But my reasons
above are enough for me to say NO WAY.

FBI

Judge
01-09-03, 23:22
Originally posted by FBI

1) It will be used to grief newcommers in their apartment
(haunted house comes to mind actually :) )

What? I'm sorry but where did that come from?

2) It will be abused in more bad ways than good like alot of
things in neocron.

I see no reason why it would... I mean how can it?

3) If they change npcs to no longer target stealth spys then
people with bad soullight will be free to roam as they please.

High level spies with bad SL will be able to sneak past the cops to get to services yes.... can you not see the RP aspect in this?

I would hardly say that they can roam as they please, as the time on stealth isn't infinite.

4) GM's have the ability to be invisible as well, but in safe zones
they should only have this ability and no other runner for obvious
reasons. If this stealth device existed back when EON duped,
maybe they never would have been caught? Think about it.

For one thing, duping no longer occurs. Secondly GMs can become invisible at will and can stay completely invisible for as long as they want. I'm afriad that I just don't see those obvious reasons.

Wait for a neptune server if you want unique stuff to be allowed
in safe zones.

The point is that I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to do this on normal servers.

The way you describe it everyone will be able to be invisible all the time. Whereas in reality I think that only spys who have gimped themselves to Obliterator standards will be able to come and go with relative frequency.

FBI
01-09-03, 23:34
Well i was just saying what was obvious, you were screaming
for someone to say why they voted no so being as bored as i am
i said why not, here's why :)

of course i don't really give a rats ass about spies other than
tradeskilling issues because that's what my spys are for.

now that the obvious was stated, maybe more people who
dislike this idea can get balls and voice out.

FBI

Judge
01-09-03, 23:48
Originally posted by FBI

of course i don't really give a rats ass about spies other than
tradeskilling issues because that's what my spys are for.

So you don't want spies to be better and have some sort of RP purpose because you only use them for tradeskills? Isn't that a bit selfish? :wtf:

Hehe, I like debating :D

FBI
02-09-03, 03:42
So you don't want spies to be better and have some sort of RP purpose because you only use them for tradeskills? Isn't that a bit selfish? :wtf:

I'm just using them as they were best intended for and are currently.

Judge
02-09-03, 18:34
Yes but wouldn't it be great to have a less mule type perpose for them.... I mean this wouldn't even make them any better at PvP. It would just give them a larger roleplaying purpose. :D

LTA
02-09-03, 18:39
Yes but wouldn't it be great to have a less mule type perpose for them.... I mean this wouldn't even make them any better at PvP. It would just give them a larger roleplaying purpose. :D

For the days when nc actually has RP going on and changable occurances...

I agree with FBI, as cool as it owuld be to stealth around the city i think it will create a set of new problems, yes i have a stealth Rifle Spy before you think otherwise.
Peaop don't rp "spying" now so why would you when you can stealth in safe zones, like it has been said i think it will just generate a new breed of lameness....

Now the real solution..... remove teh safezones!

Judge
02-09-03, 18:54
Well LTA... I know a few people who do spy in and around TG, FA and MB.... however they can't around the City because it is a safe zone.

This was a change that I was more directing at DoY, as people will be able to spy in the DoY using stealth devices and yet not spy in nc because of the safe zones....

I don't think that Safe Zones are the problem.... Its just the stealth devices.

Nasher
02-09-03, 19:19
Yes, but copbots would still need to be able to see invisible people with bad SL.

LTA
02-09-03, 19:20
Well LTA... I know a few people who do spy in and around TG, FA and MB.... however they can't around the City because it is a safe zone.

This was a change that I was more directing at DoY, as people will be able to spy in the DoY using stealth devices and yet not spy in nc because of the safe zones....

I don't think that Safe Zones are the problem.... Its just the stealth devices.

In them places tho counter measures can be taken, anti stealth sanctums, city ppus need to zone into a sewer cast it and come out and even then nothing can be done against the stealther.
Where is in the canyon he gets uncovered he can get killed.

Judge
02-09-03, 21:58
As I said this was based around the coming of DoY, so if a spy was uncovered then he copbots would shoot him/her. I also don't see why anti stealth sanctum shouldn't be able to be used in safe zone as well.... though personally I think that anti stelath devices should be spy only... :rolleyes:

Anyway, in the more populated/important zones, like plaza via rosso and faction HQs there should be some cameras that are basically a constant true sight sanctum, but there should be at least one way round them, even is this is climbing along various ledges and maybe taking alot longer to reach your final destination or taking a sewer route underneath where the sanctum is (this would work brilliantly if all the sewers were connected to each other, the pepper park sewers and the main sewers out of the city). Also if a camera uncovers someone then either Elite Copbots or Faction HQ guards should spawn within 10 feet of the stealther.... if they are lucky they could get away by running, but most likely they will get mauled. :D

I don't see why the copbots should see through the stealth to see red SL people as it would be a huge risk going through the city with red SL even with stealth.... if you are uncovered (regarding the previous paragraphs) at the wrong time you could lose 5 items.

Scikar
02-09-03, 22:43
Originally posted by LTA
In them places tho counter measures can be taken, anti stealth sanctums, city ppus need to zone into a sewer cast it and come out and even then nothing can be done against the stealther.
Where is in the canyon he gets uncovered he can get killed.

Yeah but a stealther in the canyon can snipe people. What's a stealther in plaza going to do?

Killing people in apts would be any different anyway - city apts are anarchy zones.

Helen Angilley
02-09-03, 22:46
I don't see why the copbots should see through the stealth to see red SL people as it would be a huge risk going through the city with red SL even with stealth.... if you are uncovered (regarding the previous paragraphs) at the wrong time you could lose 5 items.

I very much doubt the Stealth Device hides body heat.

Judge
02-09-03, 22:47
Yes but that would just show that there is _someone_ there... a copbot would need to see the person him/herself to see wether they were a wanted criminal or not.

Helen Angilley
02-09-03, 22:50
Yes but that would just show that there is _someone_ there... a copbot would need to see the person him/herself to see wether they were a wanted criminal or not.

Not neccesarily.

Copbots are the Judge, Jury and Executioners of Neocron. Their judgement is law and unquestionable. Eliminating someone that was using a Stealth Device could be justified in many different ways.

"He refused to comply with a cease and desist order."

"He did not halt when ordered to."

"Why would a decent citizen of the city feel the need to use a Stealth Device just to pass through the Plaza?"

..and so on...

Judge
02-09-03, 22:54
A decent citizen of neocron might want to use a stealth device to get away from muggers in pepper park... then when he comes into the plaza district he gets shot by copbots. :(

Scikar
02-09-03, 22:56
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Not neccesarily.

Copbots are the Judge, Jury and Executioners of Neocron. Their judgement is law and unquestionable. Eliminating someone that was using a Stealth Device could be justified in many different ways.

"He refused to comply with a cease and desist order."

"He did not halt when ordered to."

"Why would a decent citizen of the city feel the need to use a Stealth Device just to pass through the Plaza?"

..and so on...

"He was a known member of the Twilight Guardian terrorist organisation but I didn't kill him."

So that's the last one thrown out, and nobody is ever ordered to halt, finally the cease and desist orders are only given to people with weapons drawn.

Besides allowing Stealth Devices would work both ways and allow CA agents to use stealth to follow criminals and enemies of Reza undetected, in order to find out if they are using apartments within the city, etc.

Judge
03-09-03, 23:26
Indeed scikar... I also think that there should be an anti stealth device available to spys. Though it should be spy only not PE usable.

Breschau
04-09-03, 01:50
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
I very much doubt the Stealth Device hides body heat.

Time to comission Tangent or Crytons or whoever to finally re-invent the thermal imaging goggles...

Dru Blood
04-09-03, 02:14
i agree good idea and voted yes

also ppu should be able to cast true sight sanctum in safezones too, you should also be able to cast antidote in safezones, i mean wtf u can cast a heal why not antidote?????