PDA

View Full Version : "Changing position for you, Master!"

Helen Angilley
01-09-03, 18:55
Alrightey, after playing EverQuest a little (ph33r the cries of "Necros need to be nerfed"!), I've hit upon a somewhat deriative idea to fix SoulCluster A.I:

Why not use a similar system that's in EverQuest?

For those not in the know, when you summon something in EverQuest, you get a little box with your creature's name, health and several commands in. The commands are "normal" things such as "Attack!", "Stay!", "Guard!" and so on.....target something with your cursor, click the appropiate command and your creature shoots off to carry out your will.

Obviously due to the different interfaces and targeting systems in the two games, it would need a little tweaking to be convenient but I do feel that with a bit of work, this would provide a significant boost to a SoulCluster's effectiveness.

Thoughts/Comments/Illiterate flames?

Sleawer
01-09-03, 18:58
Maybe a menu with some commands could be added in the rpos for the control of the SC.

enablerbr
01-09-03, 18:58
OMG everghey.

anyway yeah that does sound like a good idea if tweaked for neocron. players should have more control over the soulcluster than just cast and hope for the best.

Lathuc
01-09-03, 18:59
i like it then maybe i have a use for it as distraction from me :) instead of the normal summons it maybe attacks or it just swarms around me O_o

Opiate
01-09-03, 19:08
I've tried the robotic pets in AO, and they're actually pretty usefull there. NC's AI should have a major tweaking before anything like that can be achieved ;)

Sleawer
01-09-03, 19:08
hence turning the ppu into a summoner mage. Here comes DnD invading our world.

enablerbr
01-09-03, 19:10
Originally posted by Sleawer

suppose you think rezzing someone aint D&G already.:confused:

Helen Angilley
01-09-03, 19:11
Originally posted by Sleawer

A SoulCluster is a manifestation of pure Psi energy.

Why wouldn't a Psi Monk be able to go one step further and manipulate what the Cluster does?

Opiate:
I've heard of the "pets" in Anarchy Online, are they something people keep around for fun or do they serve some sort of use?

Nidhogg
01-09-03, 19:12
Originally posted by enablerbr
players should have more control over the soulcluster than just cast and hope for the best. You cast it once to summon it, then you target the enemy and cast again to lock the SC onto it. SC's aren't as dumb as people think. ;)

N

/edit - that's not to take anything away from Helen's idea though, which is a good one. :)

Shadow Dancer
01-09-03, 19:13
Originally posted by Nidhogg
SC's aren't as dumb as people think. ;)

N

Then how come you have to tell them twice? :D

Dribble Joy
01-09-03, 19:13
grumble gimble yeah not bad grumble bumble *reluctantly agrees with helen.

Xian
01-09-03, 19:15
Even though I think the cast then click again function works for a Soul Cluster, I still think this is a very good idea.

Sleawer
01-09-03, 19:16
The soulcluster is a mob, so the ppu casting it and controling it becomes a summoner, thus DnD comes at the doors of Neocron.

I dont say it cant be done, but I say the truth of it. Give it then the meaning you wish.. keep dreaming about what are manifestations of psi energy... this game has a very weird concept of the psionic monk.

Scikar
01-09-03, 19:28
If they do make SCs worthwhile, then there's a very serious bug that I get with SCs that I hope will be addressed - when someone casts a SC, my reticle vanishes, and all of the shading and lighting effects flicker. Basically my screen flickers between cell shaded graphics and normal graphics whenever there is a SC on screen. It's probably due to my ATi card, but it's something I've been able to forget about since SCs are fairly rarely use. Make them more common and I'll be pretty much crippled.

Not to mention the fact it will effectively become a real offense capability for the ppu. Currently the SC can be disregarded on the grounds that it's not practical. Make it better and worthwhile, and you'll find ppus being able to gank people quite easily. And I'm pretty sure the ppus are sick enough of the "nerf the ppus" arguments already.

Mingerroo
01-09-03, 19:52
The only problem I find is that being a stealther, when targeted by a mob they can still attack me after I stealth. This means that PPUs are a more effective killing machine against stealthers than APUs are o_O. To address this the caster should have to target the enemy EVERY time to make it attack... alternatively remove the stealther from the mobs memory when they stealth. Its just damn stupid right now :(

Archeus
01-09-03, 19:57
You cast it once to summon it, then you target the enemy and cast again to lock the SC onto it. SC's aren't as dumb as people think. ;)

There are a couple of other tricks you can do with it as well depending on what you cast the spell on.

Scikar
01-09-03, 19:59
Originally posted by Archeus
There are a couple of other tricks you can do with it as well depending on what you cast the spell on.

Well come on then, tell us! The only one I knew was that you cast again on something to make the SC attack it. What else can you do?

enablerbr
01-09-03, 20:01
You cast it once to summon it, then you target the enemy and cast again to lock the SC onto it. SC's aren't as dumb as people think....

yeah like i said cast and hope for the best.:p

Judge
01-09-03, 20:02
I think that the mobs in nc need better AI allround. :p

It would be a good idea, but SC's would also need to fire more reguarly I think.

Archeus
01-09-03, 20:02
Originally posted by Scikar
Well come on then, tell us! The only one I knew was that you cast again on something to make the SC attack it. What else can you do?

Play with the spells.

You can have it.

- Draw mobs away from an area.
- Attack multiple targets
- Stop attacking someone

KimmyG
01-09-03, 20:03
Do PPU's really need a good method of attack?

Good Idea though

Judge
01-09-03, 20:14
I think that it would be a good form of indirect attack if parashock was removed. :D

leethasbro
01-09-03, 20:29
Originally posted by Helen Angilley

I've heard of the "pets" in Anarchy Online, are they something people keep around for fun or do they serve some sort of use?

I think opiate means the engineer robots, and they definitely serve some sort of use. Primarily kicking ass.

Alex Mars
01-09-03, 20:34

Pets in AO are essential to the characters success, the pet fights at their command (or, in the case of some, heals the owner or other party members). They are essentially the same as pets in EQ or DAoC.

Is the SC intended to be a controllable pet or just a local free ranging phenomena that happens to attack things?

ZoneVortex
01-09-03, 21:25
You cast it once to summon it, then you target the enemy and cast again to lock the SC onto it. SC's aren't as dumb as people think. ;)

N

/edit - that's not to take anything away from Helen's idea though, which is a good one. :)

They currently do this? Or are you saying that's how we'd fix em.

Shadow Dancer
01-09-03, 21:28
Btw the title of this thread arouses me.

:angel:

Scikar
01-09-03, 21:28
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
They currently do this? Or are you saying that's how we'd fix em.

They currently do this. You can make a SC attack anything by casting the spell on whatever you want the SC to attack once you've spawned it.

HellHound
01-09-03, 21:30
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Btw the title of this thread arouses me.

I wasn't going to comment, but it's a relief to know someone else thought of it that way. :o

ZoneVortex
01-09-03, 21:31
Originally posted by Scikar
They currently do this. You can make a SC attack anything by casting the spell on whatever you want the SC to attack once you've spawned it.

Oh man! I didn't know that......

Shakari
01-09-03, 21:40
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
Oh man! I didn't know that......

YUP works sort of like this:

1: spawn (unless you standing to close to an offending piece of grass)

2: target (Hope Mob hasn't got pissed at you) - wait for it to decide when it wants to attack

3: sit back and hope it fire more than 4 shots per min o_O :p

4:get irritated as it just flies circles round the chosen target

5: dies just as is has shot the mob enough to piss it off so it takes it out on you :lol:

Rinse & Repeat:D

P.S. Still get the occasional one that when you say "attack" promtly runs in the opposite direction and hides at the top of the nearest tree

but seriously the ai for them need badly tweaking, for constant rate of fire and "Intelligence" hehe:p