PDA

View Full Version : distract monster = peacemaking.

Archeus
01-09-03, 16:10
anyone who played a bard in UO will know the pain of someone stealing your kill.. then thier pain of doing a peacemaking.

well distract monster is the new peacemaking spell :D

Great for getting those unwelcome kill stealers off your mob when they think it won't attack them.

Actually.. it is pretty good for hoverbomber hunting too. I had a droner with me, but the drones were getting shot up so I would distract it every so often to keep the drone safe.

ericdraven
01-09-03, 16:13
This spell is actually working?

JustIn_Case
01-09-03, 16:14
Never used distract monster since i was told it is one of thoose useless PPU spells.

How does it actually work?

Rizzy
01-09-03, 16:16
Yeh it works, one of my ppus friends ran round ceres mine zone casting it on all the bats, then he ran back to us (we were hunting Ys) and he had about 30 bats flying round him :p

EDIT: this was involving provoke enemy but distract mind works too.

Archeus
01-09-03, 16:19
It is based on TL of the spell to what monster it can distract (although I have seen it work on higher? maybe that is provoke?).

When you cast it, the monster stops attacking the target and picks another target nearby.

If the person who is first attacking is still attacking when you cast it the monster re-aquires them otherwise it picks the next person who attacked them or someone random if there is no one else.

So you need practise to tell others to stop attacking.

Sleawer
01-09-03, 16:22
The spell works, but it is not used. It happens when a class has 99.999.999 roles; some of them have to be relegated to a second plane, or to never use it, in order to use the most effective spells/roles of your class.

Heavyporker
01-09-03, 16:25
Heh heh... while APUs have "provoke monster" already :D What would people think if we had "distract monster" for APUs so we could get them off us when we have about 5hp left?

ericdraven
01-09-03, 16:26
Originally posted by Sleawer
The spell works, but it is not used. It happens when a class has 99.999.999 roles; some of them have to be relegated to a second plane, or to never use it, in order to use the most effective spells/roles of your class.

Well that's... sad.. but true. ;)

Tycho C
01-09-03, 16:36
Yeah, Carinth has used it on copbots :D . First he does provoke to get it on him, (before he went apu) then casts distract and the cop totaly forgets and goes back to his post.

Unfortunately, he said it took multiple casts. But the manna isnt that bad so i guess its feesable.

Carinth
01-09-03, 17:37
Provoke redirects aggro to you from whoever the mob was attacking before. It however doesn't initiate aggro, so someone hasta take the first hit then you can provoke. Distract makes the mob forget aggro, however if it's being attacked it will re aquire you or whoever is attacking it. Both spells are castable in safe zones and quite fun to play around with. I ran through NC spammin copbots with Distract while a Red SL friend of mine made it through the city without being hit once.

QuantumDelta
01-09-03, 18:34
It has always worked, my PPU friends have used it to kill PKers ffs heheh

Carinth
01-09-03, 19:17
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
It has always worked, my PPU friends have used it to kill PKers ffs heheh

Unless they're attacking a mob that you were attacking I don't see how it can be used against people. Or maybe they're in the vicinity of somthing like a Y trooper which the ppu is Tanking, distract and hope the Y attacks them. Either way its not that effective against people. For any decent mob it would require a bunch of casts of distract mind. That's mana that would be spent on heals/rebuffing. I don't recall them working at all originaly, I tried both distract and provoke many times and left them in my closet as yet another useless ppu spell. Wasn't until recently I dusted them off and gave them another try.

QuantumDelta
01-09-03, 19:18
They got jumped while hunting wbs, just as they started to fight the wb, since distract mind resets mob kos, and they were further away from the WB then the PKer was, it killed the PKer...