PDA

View Full Version : Cyberpunk movies

Jack Daniel's
01-09-03, 02:54
people, i've been in the mood latley to watch a good movie. I'm trying to find a good "cyberpunk" movie to watch and am having a hard time finding one. I liked watching Johny Mnemonic alot, well up until the end with the whole dolphin bit, but anyways can ya help me out here?

Scikar
01-09-03, 02:54
Does Blade Runner count?

Jack Daniel's
01-09-03, 02:55
whats that about?

Scikar
01-09-03, 02:59
It stars Harrison Ford, as a Blade Runner. His job is to hunt down and destroy Replicants, artificial humans (no not Y Replicants :p). It's really a great film, though the Director's Cut is the preferred version. In fact it's pretty much sacrilege not to have seen it, if you haven't heard of it then I think it's about time you got the parts for an Obliterator because you're going to want to disappear around about now.

Hippieman
01-09-03, 03:00
Originally posted by Scikar
It stars Harrison Ford, as a Blade Runner. His job is to hunt down and destroy Replicants, artificial humans (no not Y Replicants :p). It's really a great film, though the Director's Cut is the preferred version. In fact it's pretty much sacrilege not to have seen it, if you haven't heard of it then I think it's about time you got the parts for an Obliterator because you're going to want to disappear around about now.

*goes and get a Obliterator*

Jack Daniel's
01-09-03, 03:04
ok ok. lets all just calm down. I'll go in the morning down to block-buster and rent it. i promise. now should i pick up anything else?

SilentGravity
01-09-03, 03:07
Originally posted by Jack Daniel's
ok ok. lets all just calm down. I'll go in the morning down to block-buster and rent it. i promise. now should i pick up anything else?

Matrix :p

Ummm.... I can't think of anything else, DAMN YOU BRAIN!

Rade
01-09-03, 03:10
Whats the name of that movie.. hardcore.. Hardware. Right, Hardware, see it.

Scikar
01-09-03, 03:11
My mind's kinda blank to be honest. Just have a look at the back of a few films, if it has a 15 or an 18 rating, and every picture has a lot of black, and it's raining in every scene, and there is futuristic stuff like flying cars etc, and it's set in an urban area, you can pretty much bet it's cyberpunk (but that's not a guarantee :)).

QuantumDelta
01-09-03, 03:11
Matrix isn't really cyberpunk...

hackers is "okay" I guess...

Scikar
01-09-03, 03:13
Just watch Blade Runner 5 times, after the 4th you should be able to spot all the little cool things and you should understand why certain things in the film happen the way they do, then you can watch it the 5th time and truly enjoy it. :p

Lorcin
01-09-03, 03:20
Johnny Mnemonic (sp)

Written by William Gibson the god of cyberpunk but like all films of stephen king books - IT SUCKS

Total Recall almost fits in

Instead of blockbuster go to a library and get a William Gibson book - you can read it whilst you wait for synchs or switching chars!

Si

Det0x
01-09-03, 03:25
http://project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/movies.html

Drake6k
01-09-03, 03:41
Maybe I'm crazy but I didn't like bladerunner. When it was over I just felt like nothing important happened. :wtf:

Scikar
01-09-03, 03:46
Originally posted by Drake6k
Maybe I'm crazy but I didn't like bladerunner. When it was over I just felt like nothing important happened. :wtf:

Then you need to watch it again.

X452
01-09-03, 03:57
id say watch these...

eXistenZ
Hackers
Arcade <----realy cool one (scared the crap out of me wen i first saw it for some reason:))

other non punky fils that are good....

a knights tale and empire records

Scikar
01-09-03, 04:00
A Kinight's Tale is actually hilarious, I think it's a great film.

"I want poetry, now!"
"OK OK, erm, your breasts, they are below your throat..."

Drake6k
01-09-03, 04:09
What about the 5th element?

Scikar
01-09-03, 04:11
What about the 5th element?

Yeah that kinda fits too. It rains a lot, it's dark, and it's got flying cars, and it's got fururistic Sci-Fi stuff too. Must be cyberpunk. :p

Jack Daniel's
01-09-03, 04:15
Plus the chick with the orange hair is hot.......................its good in my book!

Omnituens
01-09-03, 04:16
Originally posted by Lorcin
Johnny Mnemonic (sp)

Written by William Gibson the god of cyberpunk but like all films of stephen king books - IT SUCKS

Total Recall almost fits in

Instead of blockbuster go to a library and get a William Gibson book - you can read it whilst you wait for synchs or switching chars!

Si

both those films are excellent. i would highly recommend them.

Robocision
01-09-03, 04:25
I NEED to clear something up! This is vitally important!

You want Blade Runner Special Edition! It has extended scenes but keeps Harrison Ford's narration. The Directors Cut is exactly the same as the Special Edition but it removed the narration!

Blade Runner Directors Cut is teh suq! You want Blade Runner Special Edition!

sira
01-09-03, 04:42
"dark city" =)

ooooohhhh and

"ghost in the shell"

maybe "akira" too...

IronMonkey
01-09-03, 04:49
ghost ina shell is pretty good, deep storyline

Benjie
01-09-03, 06:27
Originally posted by sira
"dark city" =)

ooooohhhh and

"ghost in the shell"

maybe "akira" too...

Ghost in the Shell and Akira are fucking excellent movies! What about Judge Dredd? Hehe only kiddin' thats shiiiiiiit!

{MD}GeistDamnit
01-09-03, 06:29
Bubblegum Crisis

:D

Drake6k
01-09-03, 06:30
Originally posted by Benjie
Ghost in the Shell and Akira are fucking excellent movies! What about Judge Dredd? Hehe only kiddin' thats shiiiiiiit!

Hey I liked Judge Dredd!

IronMonkey
01-09-03, 06:30
judge dredd the comic rocks. The movie was horrid.

Drexel
01-09-03, 06:36
Ouuhh... got one, Ready ?

Highlander 2

They dont have to be good ? Right ?

SilentGravity
01-09-03, 07:40
Originally posted by {MD}GeistDamnit
Bubblegum Crisis

:D

Your a bad man....

Malek
01-09-03, 10:28

What the fuck are you talking about? Of course important stuff happend, like HARRISON FORD HAVING ALCOHOL IN HIS HAND IN EVERY SCENE!

Sorry but I too didn't like this movie...

Shadow Dancer
01-09-03, 10:30
Dark City and Total Recall>this whole planet, your soul, neocron, and sex

phsoot
01-09-03, 11:04
Equilibrium maybe...

xkorpio
01-09-03, 11:28
- Blade Runner (a must!!!!)
- Hardware
- FreeJack: Mike jagger appears on this one
- Robocop 1, 2 & 3 : Maybe the last one and the series where no so good, but the cyberpunk feeling is great, especially the short news between scenes
- Jhony Mnemonic (Hacknet?)
- Matrix

Hell-demon
01-09-03, 11:35
Equilibirium has a cyber punkish feel. It seemed like Neocron a bit.After the 3rd world war, one last city, terrorist group, reza type figure, breed of fighters (like tanks but not as good) and other stuff.

But the movie was SHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!:mad:

Cryton
01-09-03, 11:40
1) Strange days (a truely underdog)
2) Nemesis (b-movie but still good) keep away from any sequels!
3) 13th Floor (very good imho, might fall sligthy out of CP genre)

/Cryton

Shockwave
01-09-03, 11:58
whats that about?
My god, someone who hasn't seen Bladerunner?! How can people live with such a gap in their lives?! O_o :D

Maybe I'm crazy but I didn't like bladerunner. When it was over I just felt like nothing important happened.
:eek: HERETIC!! BURN THE HERETIC!!! O_o :)

Dark City and Total Recall>this whole planet, your soul, neocron, and sex
True, this.

- Blade Runner (a must!!!!)
- Hardware
- FreeJack: Mike jagger appears on this one
- Robocop 1, 2 & 3 : Maybe the last one and the series where no so good, but the cyberpunk feeling is great, especially the short news between scenes
- Jhony Mnemonic (Hacknet?)
- Matrix
Putting The Matrix in your list still won't get you forgiven for mentioning Freejack, you know. Never before has there been a film containing more cheese. :lol:

Shock.

cracky
01-09-03, 12:04
SHORT CIRCUIT 2!!!!!!!1

X452
01-09-03, 13:20
Originally posted by cracky
SHORT CIRCUIT 2!!!!!!!1

lol i loved that movie :D

wot about......

that one where theres a dude, in a REALY high tech prisson, and he has thing on his neck, so wen he crosses the red line he has like 30 secos be4 his head explodes :D

as u can see i cant remember the name, but its a cool movie and has a cybery kinda punkey feel to it :P

mystery8
01-09-03, 13:27
Originally posted by Scikar
My mind's kinda blank to be honest. Just have a look at the back of a few films, if it has a 15 or an 18 rating, and every picture has a lot of black, and it's raining in every scene, and there is futuristic stuff like flying cars etc, and it's set in an urban area, you can pretty much bet it's cyberpunk (but that's not a guarantee :)).

That definition almost makes "Back to the Future" a cyberpunk movie :D

It has flying cars... futuristic stuff (Mr. Fusion, etc.), its raining in one of them... there's parts of the movie at night...

*hrms at the angry mob with pitchforks and fire coming at him*

I've only seen Blade Runner once. It was slow, I didn't get a lot of it, but I liked it. I think. Gattaca was better than I expected. The Fifth Element was funny. Mad Max III was great. Cyborg II was pretty decent, exceded my expectations. Ghost in the Shell kicked ass :)

GT_Rince
01-09-03, 13:37
Fortress (with Christopher Lambert): Underground jail and loads of cool shit :D

Mad Max: How have these been missed ? o_O

A Clockwork Orange: Kinda fucked and you finish watching it thinking "WTF was that about"... 8|

Exiztenz: Well worth a watch

Not Cyberpunk, but watch The Dark Side or the Moon. Cool horror where the devil makes an appearance :D

Cryton
01-09-03, 14:02
Rince ever watched the movie "My PM box is full"??

It's a real classic :p

/Cryton

japata
01-09-03, 14:10
Originally posted by GT_Rince
Fortress (with Christopher Lambert): Underground jail and loads of cool shit :D

Mad Max: How have these been missed ? o_O

A Clockwork Orange: Kinda fucked and you finish watching it thinking "WTF was that about"... 8|

Exiztenz: Well worth a watch

Not Cyberpunk, but watch The Dark Side or the Moon. Cool horror where the devil makes an appearance :D

Mad Max... aah, the great innovator for the Fallout series. Something that every 'cronner should see.

(and besides, isn't that "Clockwork Orangue")

GT_Rince
01-09-03, 14:46
Originally posted by Cryton
Rince ever watched the movie "My PM box is full"??

It's a real classic :p

/Cryton

Yeah - just seen it :D

I gotta say, I feel "empty" now ;)

01-09-03, 14:50
I too was disapointed with the directors cut of Blade Runner (The narration really helped the story IMO) didnt know there was a collectors ed though - have to look out for that.

Max Mad isnt really cyber punk - sure its post apocalyptic but mankind hasnt gone forwards, just backwards into a more primative scavenging state

Equilibirum, hmm forgot about that one, didnt really strike me as Cyber punk though (probably because of lack of technology) at least Clerics finally got 'cool' points though (I always got ribbed for playing a Cleric in D&D)

Johnny Pne was cool though (mainly thanks to Dina Maya<sp?>)

Its a shame they havent done a Terminator film set in the future - I suspect that would count

I think the problem is that few of the cyber punk films are classics, because most that qualify as cyber punk are either low budget or increadibly tacky (I think Highlander 2 and Fortress fit both of these - maybe its Chris' fault though...)

Shockwave
01-09-03, 15:01
Originally posted by 5150
Its a shame they havent done a Terminator film set in the future - I suspect that would count

I think the problem is that few of the cyber punk films are classics, because most that qualify as cyber punk are either low budget or increadibly tacky (I think Highlander 2 and Fortress fit both of these - maybe if Chris' fault though...)

That'll be T4 (And there WILL be a sequel, I guarentee it).

Fortress wasn't *too* bad, but Highlander 2 was unforgivable. They just shouldn't have done a sequel, let alone one with such a shitty plot and script. There just wasn't the room for one after the first film.

Shock.

Rade
02-09-03, 12:09
Im really disappointed that theres only one other person besides me who mentioned Hardware, I mean, besides the fact that it has no computer-cyberspace interaction (not like most of these movies/games do anyway, which is kinda weird since that should be a central part of cyberpunk) it has _the_ best cyberpunk atmosphere Ive ever seen.

HellHound
02-09-03, 15:05
Originally posted by Det0x
http://project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/movies.html

Tron counts as cyberpunk? :D
And sorry, but anyone who claims they didn't 'get' Blade Runner has no place in this discussion. :p
Anyone know anything about the supposed movie of Neuromancer?

Heavyporker
02-09-03, 15:12
I read neuromancer...it rocked, but I never heard of a movie version.

Just as well... it had some wild stuff that only today's CGI FX could do justice too... (psst, in the lines of LOTR, see)

Watching the main char Jackin' In to cyberspace would just freaking rock.

HellHound
02-09-03, 15:22
Originally posted by Heavyporker
it had some wild stuff that only today's CGI FX could do justice too... (psst, in the lines of LOTR, see)

That's what I meant... heard something about one being made. ;)

Tregard
02-09-03, 16:51
Originally posted by X452
lol i loved that movie :D

wot about......

that one where theres a dude, in a REALY high tech prisson, and he has thing on his neck, so wen he crosses the red line he has like 30 secos be4 his head explodes :D

as u can see i cant remember the name, but its a cool movie and has a cybery kinda punkey feel to it :P

That would be "The Running Man" with arny in it.

Tregard
02-09-03, 16:55
Oh by the way....

http://www.antonraubenweiss.com/gibson/gibson0.html

for info on Neuromancer movie.;)

technomancer
02-09-03, 18:08

So I'm not the only person who's seen this then? Great movie, one of my favorites ever!

technomancer
02-09-03, 18:13
Originally posted by X452
lthat one where theres a dude, in a REALY high tech prisson, and he has thing on his neck, so wen he crosses the red line he has like 30 secos be4 his head explodes :D

You're thinking of the start of "The Running Man", which isn't very cyberpunk at all IMHO. The book on which it's based (by Richard Bachman, aka Stephen King) is much better :)

HighRiseDrifter
02-09-03, 18:28
Originally posted by Lorcin

Absolutely. William Gibson, Walter Jon Williams, Rudy Rucker, Neal Stephenson, Jeff Noon, Bruce Sterling to name a few. The Mirrorshades: Cyberpunk Anthology (Edited by Bruce Sterling I think) is also bloody good.

Films

Bladerunner is an ABSOLUTE must! I agree, the Director's cut is the best version. Really ends on a down note (But hey! That's Cyberpunk, kiddies)
Hardware is very good
Hackers and Sneakers are also ok (from a hacking/espionage point of view)
Max Headroom (anyone remember him?) kinda fits the bill too
The Mad Max films have that bleak, post-apocalypse viewpoint

There's loads more but that's all that comes to mind at the moment

Enjoy

Chaplin
02-09-03, 18:31

An excellent movie with an awesome soundtrack (first apprearance of skunk anansie ever afaik).
And how about a classic?

SOYLENT GREEN (1973)

30 years after it is still some nice post-apocalyptic paranoid shit ;)

DCSparkes
02-09-03, 18:44
'Hardware' Rocks! Lots of rock celebrities (Lemmy, Carl McCoy, Iggy Pop to name a few), wrecked environment, eminently quotable (and sampled). Plus the P.I.L. theme at the end is great. I'd like to see 'Dust Devil' as well by the same Director (Richard Stanley) who was actually on the dole while making it.

'Split Second' is quite a violently fun film with Rutger Hauer in it and has the same kind of gun fixation as Neocron! :)

1984 and Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil' are kinda appropriate in a dystopian kinda way.

Alex Cox also has a few that qualify including 'Repo Man' and, of course, you can't forget David Cronenberg: 'Videodrome', 'eXistenZ' et cetera.

'Foreign' films: 'Accion Mutante', 'City of Lost Children', 'Until the End of the World'

Cheese: Johnny Mnemonic, Total Recall, Bicentennial Man, Lawnmower Man, Running Man, Milk Man... Ok I made that one up.

You might even want to include Minority Report and Demolition Man. And Post Man.

I also vaguely recall a couple of films called Robojocks or summat like that.

And in case you hadn't guessed: Blade Runner...

technomancer
02-09-03, 18:56
Originally posted by HighRiseDrifter
Absolutely. William Gibson, Walter Jon Williams, Rudy Rucker, Neal Stephenson, Jeff Noon, Bruce Sterling to name a few. The Mirrorshades: Cyberpunk Anthology (Edited by Bruce Sterling I think) is also bloody good.

I'd recommend Steve Aylett if you like a healthy dose of headfuck with your cyberpunk. Think William Gibson meets Phillip K Dick and you're about there.