PDA

View Full Version : It's a new record!!!!!!!!!!

Lorcin
31-08-03, 17:16
WOW 17 hours so far waiting for my brand new hovertec to return to the garage!!!! I've only driven it once FFS. And how did I die - zoning of course. Straight into a nice little cluster of Johny 5's I was dead before the thing even started to accelerate becuase the little darlings were camping the zone border.

So I thought never mind - I'll try to drive from MB to Loba Village tomorrow (I have no other choice but to drive thanks to all the damn genreps in the area being locked - I could walk from El Farid but as I'm a droner may as well just type /set kill_self 1 to save time)

So I got up this morning - No hovertec. Oh well never mind I'll take my 4x4 - slower but much better protection. 5 hits from a Johny again (took 1 on the hovertec) and my corpse hits the ground again.

That was 6 hours ago and surprise surprise the 4x4 is still "in service" as well.

This vehicle bug is really getting on my tits - as KK admit it is a problem would you PLEASE make the dismiss button work wherever the vehicle is. If not for all vehicles then how about a self-destruct function built into the NexT epic 4x4 key - I spent a hell of a lot of hours getting that 4x4 but seem to spend more time waiting for it too respawn then driving the damn thing.

Si

Mighty Max
31-08-03, 17:19
AFAIK the hour till the remove from vehicles out of zones is based on the zone time ... if a zone gets shut down due to no player in it, the hour will never be reached.

Guess it was a not much visited zone tho.

If you can wait 17 hours, try to run into the zone ...

FBI
31-08-03, 17:20
i concur

Lorcin
31-08-03, 17:27
The zones in question I THINK are H13 and I12 (may be H12)

Both FULL of Johny's. I could transfer my keys to a Anti-NC char and go get the vehicles - BUT of course that doesn't work - the vehicle reg won't change until it is returned to the garage. The chances of a droner even reaching those zones on foot little own surviving for an hour is next too 0.

Plus call me funny but standing around for an hour doing nothing is not really my idea of fun!

Si

Mighty Max
31-08-03, 17:50
There just needs to be someone in the zone ... so the timer continues to counts down ... no zone active ... no counter active

Lorcin
31-08-03, 18:06
I have just tried to get there - my chars are:

Droner - biotech
Tank - Tangent
Monk - Crahn

The nearest I can get any of them is El Farid becuase of the ridiculous genrep locks. Now call me strange but my idea of a game is not to walk 3/4 sectors full of shit so I can stand there for an hour. Then have to cross to another sector and stand there again.

Of course I can't go afk becuase of the damn idiot PK's that shoot afk people becuase it is so much fun.

I honestly am think of quitting this game - and seeing as I've only played for 2 months and my subscription is payed up to next Feburary that is not a good sign.

KK you need to sort the bugs out - and damn well penalize people for senseless killing of chars - I think if the victim never manages a shot at the killer the killer's cash should instantly be transferred to the victim - all their cash. You would lose a lot of PK's but they tend too be the ones scaring off new people and causing grief all around.

Some idiot PK'd my droner at graves the other day - the only reason I know it wasn't a snake was my dog tag was there. WTF would he get from that - loot??? a drone of course. A challenge - oh I can kill someone with 150hp 0 resist and 0 armor I must be hard. A laugh maybe. What did he give me - about 20k in costs, a nice long walk again (because as normal my damn vehicle was stuck outside graves) and he pissed me off for the entire evening.

More and more this game is becoming stress not fun.

Helen Angilley
31-08-03, 18:08
Originally posted by Lorcin
More and more this game is becoming stress not fun.

....and each day more and more people forget that we requested these changes in the first place.

Richard Blade
31-08-03, 18:46
My character died in a zone nobody goes to very often. It was really late at night for me, so I logged. 18 hours later, I log in and my hovertec is still where I parked it before I died. Not where I needed it.
I thought, "crap....$$#%# time to do some other stuff." So, I messed about in plaza and a few other places for an hour. It came back.

Summary: Unless something else is wrong, I think just being in game for an hour might be enough to return your vehicle.
Mine did.

Regards,
RB

VVerevvolf
31-08-03, 19:03
I left my rhino 4x4 at Drakhan Fortress, after 8 RL Days it returned. Not an overcrowded zone this is... :rolleyes:
The timer needs to continue, as long as there is a vehicle in it.

athon
31-08-03, 19:08
Suggestion for a partial fix could be a script that runs, say every 12 hours and checks through all the inactive zones for vehicles. If it finds them, it puts them back in the garage. The script could run more frequently depending upon how much load it puts upon the server.

Athon Solo

Scikar
31-08-03, 19:13
Or you could just buy a new hovertec. The going rate from other players is only 50k. And then by the time you lose the new one, the old one should have returned! :D

You could also just stick to safer routes, it's clear from Tescom Uplink to the Graves, though there's a few beyond the Graves entrance, and it's also clear if you go north from Yutano and then head east to Tescom.

Alex Mars
31-08-03, 20:22
Time to face facts:

With the shoestring budget the game operates on, I'd say that no bugs will be fixed at any time soon.

Scikar
31-08-03, 20:29
Originally posted by Alex Mars
Time to face facts:

With the shoestring budget the game operates on, I'd say that no bugs will be fixed at any time soon.

And I suppose next you'll tell us the world will end in 24 hours?

The budget for this game hasn't changed since its release. Why would the amount of work going into it change?

Helen Angilley
31-08-03, 20:30
Originally posted by Scikar
And I suppose next you'll tell us the world will end in 24 hours?

The budget for this game hasn't changed since its release. Why would the amount of work going into it change?

Likewise...how often have people screeched about the game's death?

Whiety Bulger
31-08-03, 20:32
that happened to me once...well kinda i found out so asshole destroyed my bike.

HellHound
31-08-03, 20:34
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Likewise...how often have people screeched about the game's death?

Shall we all count our fingers and add together the results?

But Lorcin, take my advice: don't bother trying to make it to the graves. Even if you get there chances are you'll die inside the entrance if there's nobody else around to help. Head to the swamp caves in I_03, much easier.

Alex Mars
31-08-03, 20:35
"The budget for this game hasn't changed since its release."

Time for a lesson in the realities of the gaming industry:

When a game is in development the game is using investor money, when the game goes into release it is using the revenue stream generated by the sales and subscriptions. With around 1500 players at peak hours I'd estimate that the game has around 4000-5000 subscribers (generating a tiny amount to pay for bandwidth, servers, payroll, and repaying investors). This is why I refer to it as a shoestring budget.

Why else do you think that bugs stay so long in this game?

Helen Angilley
31-08-03, 20:37

Why else do you think that bugs stay so long in this game?

Because they don't effect everyone?

Because people bitch when KK add content at the expense of bugs?

Because people bitch when KK fix bugs at the expense of content?

They have _three_ coders. Not an entire batallion of them.

Alex Mars
31-08-03, 20:44
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Because they don't effect everyone?

Because people bitch when KK add content at the expense of bugs?

Because people bitch when KK fix bugs at the expense of content?

They have _three_ coders. Not an entire batallion of them.

As I said, the game runs on a shoestring budget. If the game had reached a wider audience they could afford more employees.

Most game have separate bug fixing and new content teams, so both activities can go on at the same time.

Scikar
31-08-03, 22:07
If it bothers you so much why don't you donate some cash, or find a way to raise money? Personally I've found the game to be more and more stable with every patch, I sync out less, and I have a lot less fatals than I used to. There are a few minor bugs, but everything is documented in the Public Bug Tracker, and Lupus has been working his way through them.

Remember, for this game to have a had a larger budget, would mean it was produced by a large company like EA. Which means it would never have been released because it's not a mainstream game.

Alex Mars
31-08-03, 22:15
If it bothers you so much why don't you donate some cash, or find a way to raise money? Personally I've found the game to be more and more stable with every patch, I sync out less, and I have a lot less fatals than I used to. There are a few minor bugs, but everything is documented in the Public Bug Tracker, and Lupus has been working his way through them.

Remember, for this game to have a had a larger budget, would mean it was produced by a large company like EA. Which means it would never have been released because it's not a mainstream game.

All I said was that bugs were unlikely to be fixed due to limited resources, put down the espresso cup and calm down. I'm sorry that my mentioning this has caused you to spin out. I was trying to point out what the reasonable expectations are. I think you may need to take a break from the game and get some fresh air if this upsets you so.

The game could also have a larger budget if there were more subscribers, it wouldn't take being part of a huge company. This has nothing to do with it not being a mainstream game and lots to do with the bad publicity the game got for a very bad launch and the perception that the player base is a bunch of inbred mindless PKs. In this age of the internet, web sites, and word of mouth advertising you can gather in customers if you have a good product.

Mighty Max
31-08-03, 22:22
With around 1500 players at peak hours I'd estimate that the game has around 4000-5000

That makes ... let me count players are 8 hours online each day ?

sorry, your theory is BS##If you count in that some of the players are online by a max of 1/2 hour aday ... ill could calculate the total player count to 48*1500 ... thats the same BS

Fact is YOU CANT EVEN GUESS

Syntax-Error
31-08-03, 22:31
i think everything is helens fault.. the bugs.. the late release of DoY.. world hunger.. lack of sleep.. everything.

Lorcin
31-08-03, 22:31
My bike finally returned after around 18 and a half hours.

The problem was not graves (which is not dangerous at all to droners apart from pkers) it was the third Biotech epic mission.

Much like the 3rd Tangent mission it is by far the hardest in the epic.

For Biotech you have to get to Loba Village (remember you can do this mission at level 30) past all the johny 5's.

The TT is even worse - you have to get to catlock bay and talk to an NPC who stands next to a TG guard.

And no I'm not bitching about the difficulty!

Whatever I have my moveon now time for another faction switch

/me heads to sewer to punch spiders

IronMonkey
31-08-03, 22:32
mighty max incase you didnt know. The average you get from a player counts peak is you multiply it by 4

Thats how you come as close to a max player count. It's how it works in market analysis.

He is regarding active players yes. So his numbers are probably correct.

Helen Angilley
31-08-03, 22:32
Originally posted by Mighty Max
That makes ... let me count players are 8 hours online each day ?

sorry, your theory is BS##If you count in that some of the players are online by a max of 1/2 hour aday ... ill could calculate the total player count to 48*1500 ... thats the same BS

Fact is YOU CANT EVEN GUESS

Either way, Thanatos has said the company is doing admirably.

No need to fret about it just yet. Besides....the game only looks as if it's close to death because people are more likely to complain on the forums than they are to sing the game's praises.

Scikar
31-08-03, 22:37
All I said was that bugs were unlikely to be fixed due to limited resources, put down the espresso cup and calm down. I'm sorry that my mentioning this has caused you to spin out. I was trying to point out what the reasonable expectations are. I think you may need to take a break from the game and get some fresh air if this upsets you so.

The game could also have a larger budget if there were more subscribers, it wouldn't take being part of a huge company. This has nothing to do with it not being a mainstream game and lots to do with the bad publicity the game got for a very bad launch and the perception that the player base is a bunch of inbred mindless PKs. In this age of the internet, web sites, and word of mouth advertising you can gather in customers if you have a good product.

Who's upset? There's only one of us here complaining that bugs aren't going to be fixed.

IronMonkey
31-08-03, 22:38
Helen ys the game is doing excellent on a 16 man budget, i will agree.

The problem is the most gains are held by the company and not the player base. The way the operations are being run currently the companies growth tends to be the average playeers loss. Because they care only about those hardcore and don't care about the avergae players. Harcore players tend tyo enjoy rezz killing gr camping running into the newbie cellars and casting holy pestilence on a cellar full of newbies etc.

Hardcore players tend to care less about crashes and bugs and sync errors and issues. Because all they care about is getting back in the game so they can aquiore x y z and kill a b and c oh and dont forget D while he is afk or stuck in a sync so they push him into pepper park and rezz kill D until he loses all his stuff realizing it after he comes out of sync and than proceeds to quit the game.

Helen i understand you are just trying to open peoples eyes to the other perspective and it is enjoyable to watch you do it. Yet, the truth be told. The point still holds alot of weight. There are some very important issues if KK wants to make this game a real success and not just a success to a 16 man team.

Mighty Max
31-08-03, 22:42
It's how it works in market analysis

For what kind of product?

You dont tell me that the average player is playing 6hours every day? As i said, those are PURE speculations and market research based on such numberes is kindah stupid in MMORPGs (see Microsofts AC2, i bet they did ALOT of market research and still failed)

For the other point of NC dieing measured by the complaining .... sorry but the community of NC was bad since the open beta, i see no increase or decrease of complaints over all.

Scikar
31-08-03, 22:43
Actually, KK said right from the start that the game would be tailored for those interested in PvP, and that they would not sacrifice their vision just to make the game more fuzzy and warm. Unlike EverQuest, or UO etc. this game isn't about making more money. Having more players would be nice, but KK aren't going to sacrifice what they want the game to be just for a few more players. If the game was changed with - and I hesitate to use the word - carebear changes, then you might see a the total populations hit 2000, 3000, maybe 5000. But you won't see any of those hardcore players that KK created the game for in the first place.

IronMonkey
31-08-03, 22:45
based on research of asherons call EQ DaoC and AO and UO

All done by a company that has contracted its services to all those developers.

Themis.

Actually, KK said right from the start that the game would be tailored for those interested in PvP, and that they would not sacrifice their vision just to make the game more fuzzy and warm. Unlike EverQuest, or UO etc. this game isn't about making more money. Having more players would be nice, but KK aren't going to sacrifice what they want the game to be just for a few more players. If the game was changed with - and I hesitate to use the word - carebear changes, then you might see a the total populations hit 2000, 3000, maybe 5000. But you won't see any of those hardcore players that KK created the game for in the first place.

Where has anyone here asked KK to remove pvp. I dont consider pushign someone stuck in sync or afk into a kill zone and rez killing them pvp do you? I dont consider attacking someone with 30% synaptic pvp do you? Since in both catergories you cant really fight back. I dont consider a rank 60+ running into the newbie cellars and spamming holy pestilence and running out pvp do you? Since they arent actually fighting anyone.

Scikar
31-08-03, 22:55
Originally posted by IronMonkey
Where has anyone here asked KK to remove pvp. I dont consider pushign someone stuck in sync or afk into a kill zone and rez killing them pvp do you? I dont consider attacking someone with 30% synaptic pvp do you? Since in both catergories you cant really fight back.

Believe it or not, not every hardcore player pushes AFKers and rez kills them, or camps GRs. Simple fact is, you shouldn't be in a dangerous area with 30% synap. GRing gives you much less than that, and with the current system you'll often find yourself with 0% SI after GRing if you're going to your OP or if you travel by vehicle.

That's beside the point anyway. You're right, that's not a real fight, though technically it is PvP. In Neocron there are supposed to be people who will use an unfair advantage, be it level, less SI, a rare weapon, more friends, whatever. This isn't a chivalrous world, it's a cyberpunk world. People often forget that, and it's changes like "People should be invulnerable for a few seconds after GRing to stop GR campers" that would completely destroy the "Watch your back" atmosphere that KK actively seek to encourage. I know nobody's suggested that idea but there have been things suggested along those lines.

Rez killing and GR camping aren't what scare away the newbs anyway. Rez killing is very rare, and it's only on the agenda because people were doing it during the event. GR camping is pointless with the GR changes, and I see no reason to discourage it anyway, it teaches people to stop being lazy and start using vehicles more.

IronMonkey
31-08-03, 23:07
if vehicles werent borked im sure they would hehe

I'm not going to start posting names of clan members here that i have personally witnessed rezz killing newbies and such at oz 2 days before the event occured. Well because that would be a cheap blow, and it would also get me banned. But rest assured its not very rare at all. lol

Roc-a-fella
31-08-03, 23:09
mind me asking what "johneys" are

IronMonkey
31-08-03, 23:11
doy bots

Roc-a-fella
31-08-03, 23:12
LOL why is everyone calling them johny's?

QuantumDelta
31-08-03, 23:13
Johnny five.

It's from the film Short Circuit, they look kinda like one of them.

Look it up on google :p

Mighty Max
31-08-03, 23:13
You know the movie

called "No 5 is alive" or sthg like that. that bot looking the same as the doy bots named himself "johny 5"

Scikar
31-08-03, 23:14
Hehe I have both films on video. Kinda corny to watch now though.

QuantumDelta
31-08-03, 23:14
"No disassemble.....!!!!!!"

It's called Short Circuit.
Unless they changed the name in the US o_O

They're still slightly funny...
SC 2 when Johnny 5 goes all rambo :P

"I need a heroooooooooooooooooooo" LOL

Scikar
31-08-03, 23:17
I suppose I do still chuckle a little when I see him swinging like Tarzan, with a perfect playback of the original. :p

Mighty Max
31-08-03, 23:20
i only know the german version. Its called there
"Nr.5 lebt"

QuantumDelta
31-08-03, 23:22
RRRRRRROOOOOFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLL

Lorcin
01-09-03, 03:27
Must get them for the kids - be better than bloody playhouse disney all day!

Style
01-09-03, 03:45
uhm... are you mad? this game does have carebear rules. there is no consiquence when you die.... you dont loose anything.

and the serevrs have less people as soon as the PK nerf patch came along.

[oh oh... did i forget to mention, there is lots of mobs to kill mindless for hours and HOURS AND HOURS on end !!]