PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse?

Judge
30-08-03, 23:52
So which do you think is morally worse? Nudity/sex or violence in games or movies.

I broach this for two reasons....

I recently watched terminator 3 and saw that for a 12a there is some pretty gruesome stuff.... and I mean any age can go see this film. I wouldn't like any child to see that female terminator put her arm through the still living chest of the policeman, then drive the car through his dying corpse...

Secondly I have been hapily blowing peoples heads off in quake and onwards since I was 10... my, and most other parents that I know are rather more linient on 15 games than they are on 18s... and yet which is it worse for me to do, blow digital peoples limbs off or see, often badly modeled, naked digital people?

So <12's can see quite gruesome violence and most children will have shot something in a computer game (from ************'s to mutants) but you have to be 18 to see two people having sex, which is a completely natural occurance.

Anyway which is worse in your opinion?

Shadow Dancer
30-08-03, 23:56
Violence because I don't think there's anything wrong with sex or nudity.

Q`alooaith
31-08-03, 00:01
Violence is worse in some ways..

But sex is seen as wrong, because even if you see loads of violence, most times it's done massivly overplayed with large guns.

With sex, well parents don't want kids getting idea's which they might act on at an early age..

point is, violence is easy to spot and stop, sex, well..

get the idea, violence is easy to put a stop to, sex, if done quitely can be near impossible to stop..

Fordaz
31-08-03, 00:08
Just goes to show how warped modern society has become. But hell, it's better than the 19th Century, people used to look away in disgust when two people kissed in public.

I don't get how Sex = Bad, yet Violence = OK in movies... But imagine if it were the other way round, you'd go to an adult video store and rent a Kung Fu movie o_O.

Beh, it's just the way it is.

Judge
31-08-03, 00:09
The thing is with parents not wanting to give their kids "ideas" is exactly the reason why there is the highest teenage pregnancy in the UK than anywhere else in europe.

In Holland sex is apparantly completly non-taboo and it is legal to have sex at technically any age, and yet they have one of the lowest teenage pregnancy percentage in europe.

The reason is that not "giving the kids ideas" is making it so that we are naturally curious sex, as we get all the technical biological info in "sex education" (oh yeah that really explains alot :rolleyes: ) but no real info about it.

There is just something about us british, we are too reliant on tradition. Tradtion says that sex is taboo... thus sex is taboo. No-one except the younger generation who want to know what goes on even considers changing the rules.

EDIT: oh yeah I heard on the radio a few months ago that the government were going to try and pass a law to stop underage (under 16) people from kissing. I MEAN WTF ARE YOU ON. Not only is it encroaching on our rights its also insulting to the policemen who would have to try and stop people kissing. Naturally it was thrown out I think before it even got to the lords. But the mere suggestion just shows how backwards the UK is on some topics.

sanityislost
31-08-03, 00:13
its all good

Fordaz
31-08-03, 00:15
If you make something taboo, all it serves to do is heighten people's curiosity on the subject, I agree completely.

If channel 5 showed an X-Rated movie every Friday night, the Teenage pregancy rate in the UK would drop 90%, I reckon. All those teenage lads wanking off to the TV, instead of going out and getting their girlfriends up the duff.

Pr0n is good!

Whiety Bulger
31-08-03, 00:17
Sex and violence are both natural human impulse triggered by survivial instinicts.

KidWithStick
31-08-03, 00:19
i dont think theres anything wrong with either of them.

for a whole that show FLCL was playing on adult swim and some people got together to boycott it saying its to violent and the sexual content is to high for being on TV...

i had 1 thing to say to that...they call it "ADULT Swim" for a reason

{MD}GeistDamnit
31-08-03, 00:23
Neither, they are both human emotions and built into us.It is the job of parents to steer the preception of their offsprings to knowing how to control those emotions.Movies and games should be for all, but not for people ( regardless of age ) that do not have the dicipline and self control to keep themselves in check.

Although the point of "who the fuck cares" that the movie companys and telivision feel is moraly wrong.I don't think game companys feel this way, not yet at least.The problem is that sex and violence is used to "attract" people is wrong, and even worse it is geared at younger people.

could go on for hours about this, but I'm sure you all could. I rather talk about Neocron :D

Whiety Bulger
31-08-03, 00:27
It's not a matter of age its mental and emotinol maturity. I would rather have a mentaly stable 12 year old play Neocron than some depressed 19 year that could hurt themselfs or others. O and btw there was a thread on this like 1 1/2 years ago it was madddd looonnnggg!!!

Judge
31-08-03, 00:28
I was actually angling for a discussion about sex/violence in neocron :p

I mean having violence got the game a 15 cert, then having those strippers got it an 18 cert. I think that its quite confusing.:confused:

wolfus1
31-08-03, 00:29
what do u mean worst there both as gd as one each other:p

{MD}GeistDamnit
31-08-03, 00:36
Originally posted by Judge
I was actually angling for a discussion about sex/violence in neocron :p

I mean having violence got the game a 15 cert, then having those strippers got it an 18 cert. I think that its quite confusing.:confused:

well in neocron, ok then. every rpg or fps has violence, the neocron violence is not too bad. You dont see gib's flying when u kill someone :)

as for sex, in neocron. well a few titties in pepper park I would hardly constitute as encouragement or exploitation.If you could actually have sex with a hooker then that would be a different story.

There are people in the world that are 50 that aren't mature yet.It has a bit to do with age, but more it has to do with a person's individual preception, and what they went through in their lives.Most people I have met in neocron are professional men and women or college students.Neocron has little influence in violence or sex, because people basically play it to role play, and interact with real humans more than npc's.

Sanctus
31-08-03, 00:41
The thing is with parents not wanting to give their kids "ideas" is exactly the reason why there is the highest teenage pregnancy in the UK than anywhere else in europe.

In Holland sex is apparantly completly non-taboo and it is legal to have sex at technically any age, and yet they have one of the lowest teenage pregnancy percentage in europe.

The reason is that not "giving the kids ideas" is making it so that we are naturally curious sex, as we get all the technical biological info in "sex education" (oh yeah that really explains alot :rolleyes: ) but no real info about it.

There is just something about us british, we are too reliant on tradition. Tradtion says that sex is taboo... thus sex is taboo. No-one except the younger generation who want to know what goes on even considers changing the rules.

EDIT: oh yeah I heard on the radio a few months ago that the government were going to try and pass a law to stop underage (under 16) people from kissing. I MEAN WTF ARE YOU ON. Not only is it encroaching on our rights its also insulting to the policemen who would have to try and stop people kissing. Naturally it was thrown out I think before it even got to the lords. But the mere suggestion just shows how backwards the UK is on some topics.

Yep, i'm Dutch and we do get education in these things early. same as drugs.

As for which of the 2 is worse?
none, i think both are human nature and fine on tv and in games

The problem is in the fact that when it's forbidden or taboo. It will draw people just for that fact. Forbidden and taboo things act as a big whopping lure to people.

As to the stupid kissing law, yes unfortunatly this world is getting more demented by the day. Sadly enough

Judge
31-08-03, 00:48
Oooh someone has voted that sex is worse.... can we start a debate here please :D

Talios
31-08-03, 01:00
Violence of course. Only thing worse then violensce is sexual violence (ex. rape) But I am still ok with both. A friend of mine and me went to see Freddy vs. Jason a week or so ago. We are both 19 and have been de-sensetized to violense for the longest time just as many our ages, but we saw parents bring their kids to see this movie o_O and were crying and screaming through the whole movie. Obviously there is a age that you can bring kids to see such movies. 3 year olds arn't it. As for my friend and I... We thought it was funny as hell:lol: It could almost be missconstruded as a paradoy like Scary Movie:p

Shadow Dancer
31-08-03, 01:16

wtf are you serious? Who actually looks at the strippers anyway?

Scikar
31-08-03, 01:18
Another vote to violence.

In terms of Neocron, it's hard to say. I would imagine that the part getting the 18 cert would be those red neon signs of girls masturbating btw, not the girls in the windows. I find violence in video games is very different to violence in films. The reason is you have no control over the film. In a game, for example SoF2, the first time you get hold of a shotgun the effect of blowing someone's arm off and hearing him screaming is quite horrifying. Depending on how that effects you, you may end up never touching a shotgun again, or you may decide it wasn't too bad and those guys would do the same to you anyway. By contrast, in a film, you cannot control what is happening. You can close your eyes, but that doesn't stop someone from getting his head blown off. In a game you can avoid that.