is uplinked to the Cable Modem using the Ethernet port on the
modem. But only one computer can recieve
an IP-Adress from the Modem, and the Modem has no router
functionality.

I cant even Ping the connected computer since it has an External
IP (obtained from DHCP).

Now what shall/can i do?

1. Windows internet connection share?
How? 2 network cards on the connected computer?

2. Other software?
What software?

3. Hardware?
LinkSys Router?

Please help!

I would be happy if i could be done without the need of new
hardware since i need this to work this weekend :).

ericdraven
29-08-03, 11:52
Originally posted by JustIn_Case
1. Windows internet connection share?
How? 2 network cards on the connected computer?

Yes.
Then activate the ICS (under properties).
The second PC must have no IP assigned, the PC with the modem will automagically get the IP 192.168.0.1

Shockwave
29-08-03, 11:57
The easiest way is to fit a second network card to your main PC and use that as a router for your second one ising ICS, or even set up a dedicated PC as a net server. The trick is to have one PC attached to the net conn and registered on your ISP's network, and the others leeching from that. It's a piece of piss to do under WIndows XP.

My setup at home is: Cable modem to net server on one NIC. This conn is also firewalled here. I then have a second NIC connecting that PC to a Switch, which myself and my flatmate also connect to. The system is entirely XP, so the shared net connection is picked up automatically and used. If you're using Win98 or something you're going to need to start specifying gateways, DNS servers etc.

If you post a bit more detail on your setup (OS's, your ISP etc) I (And anyone else who chips in) might be able to go into a bit more detail.

Shock.

JustIn_Case
29-08-03, 12:07
More details as requested:

"Main" computer:
---------------------------------------------
Windows XP (Home Edition, eeeek)
Configured for DHCP assigned IP (Assigned from Modem)
3-Com built in NetWork card.
(Will add one more 3-Com card)

"Leecher"
---------------------------------------------
Windows 2000 Professional
3-Com built in NetWork card.
Static IP (Since it wont get any DHCP Assigned IP from modem)
(Will change to DHCP as Eric suggested)

Shall i set Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1 on the Leecher? or what do i need to do on the Leecher?

My ISP is Telia.com (It is in Sweden, so i guess it wont help you much).

Edit
I have Zone Alarm Pro 4.x on the "Main" computer.

ericdraven
29-08-03, 12:10
Originally posted by JustIn_Case
Shall i set Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1 on the Leecher? or what do i need to do on the Leecher?

Just make sure that it has no IP assigned (so it will get an IP automagically).
IIRC you have to enter the IPs of nameservers on the leecher (and of course on the main PC as well).

/EDIT - Zonealarm could be a problem, enter the 192.168.x.x network to the "trusted hosts" (i think that's somewhere under the advanced options..)

JustIn_Case
29-08-03, 12:22
So i shall do the following:

1. Add a second networkcard in the Main Computer.
2. Enable ICS on the Main Computer.
3. Dont assign any IP on the Main computer as it will get IP 192.168.0.1
4. Dont assign IP on the Leecher.
5. Set static DNS IPs on the Leecher (the same DNS IPs that the Main Computer gets assigned).
6. Add network 192.168.xxx.xxx in Zone Alarm and set it as trusted.

Correct?

ericdraven
29-08-03, 12:26
Yes. Once you enable ICS a window will pop up with something like "your PC now gets the IP 192.168.0.1 bla bla"...

djskum
29-08-03, 12:26
Buy 2 155Mb leased lines from your telco. Or what he said ;-)

DjSKum

ericdraven
29-08-03, 12:27
Originally posted by djskum
Buy 2 155Mb leased lines from your telco. Or what he said ;-)

DjSKum

Leased lines are even better, yes, go for it. ;)

Cypher_Psy
29-08-03, 12:31
Depends if your computer is / can be setup to assign addresses...

Else set 192.168.0.2 on your "leacher"
Yes, setting up ICS on your modem connection sets your lan IP to 192.168.0.1
edit: Default gateway (for leacher) set to 192.168.0.1 also set the primary DNS (on leacher) to the same (nice autodial / connecting then on host)

My setup is simular, with adsl on main (usb), and a NIC with the address 192.168.0.1 hooked into a nice 10/100 switch which all the other clients / leechers / bandwidth thiefs link into, each having a static 192.168.0.* address.

djskum
29-08-03, 12:37
Originally posted by ericdraven
Leased lines are even better, yes, go for it. ;)

Only if you have buckets of cash tho ;-) Well the UK anyway, you prolly get 40Mb leased lines free with a McDonalds in the rest of Europe!

DjSKum

Kugero
29-08-03, 16:37
My god. dude. go out to your local computer discount store and get a SOHO router. You can pick one up for less than $50 now. It will save you tons of time and configuration hassles. Most of these things ship with software that asks like 2-3 questions and will auto config the router for you. Set your local machines to DHCP and your done.

Shockwave
29-08-03, 17:09
Just because America has access to cheapo DHCP-enabled routers from your local computer shop doesn't mean other countries do. That sort of thing's fairly expensive here in the UK, and I've no idea how much they are in Sweden where Justin is.

Shock.

Archeus
29-08-03, 17:14
Originally posted by Shockwave
Just because America has access to cheapo DHCP-enabled routers from your local computer shop doesn't mean other countries do. That sort of thing's fairly expensive here in the UK, and I've no idea how much they are in Sweden where Justin is.

Shock.

Yes that pissed me off about Ireland too. I had a nice really cheap to buy 4 port Linksys-router/hub in the US and I couldn't even find a decent hub cheaper then what I could get in the US.

Kugero
29-08-03, 17:25
Just because America has access to cheapo DHCP-enabled routers from your local computer shop doesn't mean other countries do

doh. well he didn't have a location in his profile and he mentioned a Linksys Router but after reading his first post again I just noticed the "I would be happy if i could be done without the need of new hardware since i need this to work this weekend " statement at the end.

Justin, ignore my suggestion. Have fun with your new lan :)

djskum
29-08-03, 17:31
Originally posted by Shockwave

Shock.

About £60. I use an SMC Barricade. I've heard the Belkin routers are pretty good and cheap. Try www.dabs.com. They might give routers away with happy meals in Sweden tho...

DjSkum

Hell's Grannie
29-08-03, 17:32
I solved the 'problem' slightly different. I bought 2 ISA-networkcards and installed them in an old 80486 with only a floppy-drive (no hard-drive needed), downloaded FreeSCO and installed it on a floppy. One NIC is linked with the cable-modem, the other with a small hub.

The one that is linked with the cable-modem is set to DHCP the other has the static adress 192.168.2.5. The other three pc's in my little network have the adresses : 192.168.2.6, 192.168.2.7 and 192.168.2.8 and are attached to the hub. Their gateway is set to 192.168.2.5. The 'SCO-router' functions as a linux-router, firewall and time-server.

The whole setup works like a charm and has been constantly up for the last two years (I hate turning pc's off and on, the only thing I ever swich off are the screens) with no problem whatsoever. You can do more with Free-SCO when you install a harddrive but I didn't bother.

Just to give you an alternative.

JustIn_Case
30-08-03, 15:54
Thanx for all the replies :)

It was easier than i thought, just plugged in the 2:nd network card and Windows XP asked me if i would like to use this for sharing my internet connection with other computers, it read my mind:eek: