PDA

View Full Version : Female Gamers outnumber Male Gamers?

nonamebrandeggs
29-08-03, 07:04
:eek: Here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/08/27/games.women.reut/index.html).

This is just.... weird... I wonder if CNN just went around and asked the people with female avatars if they were girls and the "Females" said "YA WANNA C MY CUTE WEBCAM I <3 YOU TEHEHEHEHEH" or maybe I'm just wrong again.... Neverhteless, it's veeeery werid.

neophotographer
29-08-03, 07:17
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
:eek: Here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/08/27/games.women.reut/index.html).

This is just.... weird... I wonder if CNN just went around and asked the people with female avatars if they were girls and the "Females" said "YA WANNA C MY CUTE WEBCAM I <3 YOU TEHEHEHEHEH" or maybe I'm just wrong again.... Neverhteless, it's veeeery werid.

they didn't say MMORPG gamers.

Stacey

Psycho_Soldier
29-08-03, 07:25
I dont care what gaming genre they are talking about. They are wrong period... I have never met a hardcore female computer gamer in real life... hell, I have only met like 2 girls that liked any console games in real life. This "study" is pure bullshit, PERIOD.

nonamebrandeggs
29-08-03, 07:29
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
I dont care what gaming genre they are talking about. They are wrong period... I have never met a hardcore female computer gamer in real life... hell, I have only met like 2 girls that liked any console games in real life. This "study" is pure bullshit, PERIOD.

Almost all the girls I know play video games addictivly :p.

Drexel
29-08-03, 07:39
Nonamebrandeggs

Almost all the girls I know play video games addictivly .

Dont know any girls hey ? Thats sad. :(

Peeping Tom
29-08-03, 07:39
the sims is a game so yeah it wouldt surprice me dat its more female gamers :P ( my gf gonna kill me now )
K4F

nonamebrandeggs
29-08-03, 07:44
Originally posted by Drexel
Nonamebrandeggs

Dont know any girls hey ? Thats sad. :(

ph33r the young Asian girls ^_^. They will pwn you at Bubble Bobble.

Drexel
29-08-03, 07:46
Damn man, you get a new shipment of pixie stix today ?

Psycho_Soldier
29-08-03, 08:04
Almost all the girls I know play video games addictivly :p.

All the girls you know... do all these girls happen to be online? :p

CR@SH
29-08-03, 08:08

It's all very related to the genre. You really don't see many women playing FPS type games or RTS ones but they love the RPG games, and even more they love MMORPG. You also have to figure in all those adventure games too..

You need to also think about girls pretending to be guys online...just so they don't have to put up with the "oh my god hot chick you wanna go cyber when we get done playing" type idiots that think thats all girls play games for.

t0tt3
29-08-03, 08:09
"They don't hear enough about what the market is. I think they just assume that it's boys that are playing these games," she said. "(Girls' games are) very boring, there's no story line, it's almost like they play it down for girls."

Yea like if the sims has more play value :rolleyes: :D

G.0.D.
29-08-03, 08:13
thats where this is comming from,
sims online 67% female membership
sims offline.. god knows

games like that... not neocron :( though mind you neocron is the sexiest mmorpg of all time (pc gamer sept03)

Thane
29-08-03, 08:15
pfffffffffft......

A poll released by the Entertainment Software Association and conducted by Peter D. Hart Research Associates found 26 percent of game players are women 18 or older, while 21 percent are boys 6 to 17.

a) now think again guys.... the girls had time to fill out this silly poll, while most boys just told the Entertainment Software Association to stfu and let em play! real gamers never stop, and also never appear in polls :)

(and hell, yea, you actually HAVE enough time to fill out polls while playing sims.....)

b) 26% + 21% == 47% ....
and the rest are male over 17 ... makes 74% male gamers... now stop beeing so confused guys :D

over and out.

japata
29-08-03, 08:28
Well there's the Sims... and it's MMORPG counterpart Sims Online. :P

Archeus
29-08-03, 08:36
Have you seen some of the things they play though? o_O

The G/F hates NC because it's too violent, but she plays this soft of crap (http://images.hangame.naver.com/nhn/flash/game/JungleMonkeys/JungleMonkeys03.swf). :D

Nymphette79
29-08-03, 08:38
Until recently when that horrible thing called Real Life work demanded more of my time i would play Neo constantly, 12 - 14 hours a day. Before i delved into the addictive world of Neocron i was a Half Life addict, prefering Team Fortress.
And i am a real life female, the main appeal for me really is its like a huge big chat room with the FPS factor chucked in too and it also challenges you, forces you to use you're brain.
As for Sims thats just plain boring, RPGs do appeal to women, my fave console game is Shenmue, excellent game

neophotographer
29-08-03, 08:43
Originally posted by Nymphette79
Until recently when that horrible thing called Real Life work demanded more of my time i would play Neo constantly, 12 - 14 hours a day. Before i delved into the addictive world of Neocron i was a Half Life addict, prefering Team Fortress.
And i am a real life female, the main appeal for me really is its like a huge big chat room with the FPS factor chucked in too and it also challenges you, forces you to use you're brain.
As for Sims thats just plain boring, RPGs do appeal to women, my fave console game is Shenmue, excellent game

sounds almost like me. I tried Sims online, but was TOO BORING!!!!!

I would let my sim sit there and stufy for liek 30 min, come back and make her green (a sim term) and then sit her back down and go back to watching TV again usually. I currently play Neocron about 6+ hours a day if I can, first got started on Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2, then went to Xwing Alliance, then to CS, then to Sims online, and then to Neocron (for the majot games I got addicted to that is) I love Neocron simply because I love talking to ppl in here, and the fact I can go out and kill stuff as well....and have to use strategy when I solo a chaser to stay alive. :D

Stacey

technomancer
29-08-03, 11:41
Originally posted by CR@SH
You need to also think about girls pretending to be guys online...just so they don't have to put up with the "oh my god hot chick you wanna go cyber when we get done playing" type idiots that think thats all girls play games for.

Hey, that's why some of us have female characters in the first place! ;)

eLcHi
29-08-03, 11:45
Hi !

Actually i know a bunch of female gamers, including some of the hardcore-gaming sort ...

Iīve even took part in a special event on a big lanparty ... you could go and play a 3on3 CS-Game vs. three nice girls ... me and my friends took part (i know two of the girls pretty well) and we got our asses kicked beeing native Q3-Players with no Counterstrike-sense at all ;)

It was like 12:0 against us in the end ... but because i knew the girls we got T-Shirts from the sponsor saying "I did it with the girls" ... hehehe

There are not much hardcore-gaming girls, but they exist ...

Considering the article you gotta note exactly what it says ...

The group of Female gamers aged 18+ is bigger than the group of male gamers 6-17 ... which is like an unfair comparison given the amount of ppl falling in each group ...

Or donīt you think there are more adult women than teenage boys ? :D

eLcHi

Vampire222
29-08-03, 11:49
omg some asian language monkey game... bet the coders played it too much too :P

Sanctus
29-08-03, 14:06
They say the trend used to be young kids playing in dark rooms and now its adults....geez. WHAT DID YOU THINK BECAME OF THOSE KIDS? They became adults in dark rooms of couse. (and I can vouch for this since I am one)

And more females online? why not. I don't know any personally(don't meet many people in my dark room. if they are here I can't see them 'cos it's dark) but I don't see why not.

For the last decade the amount of computer users has grown enormously. So it makes sense.

I also heard of grannies online. and I know that's true. Why sit in an elderly home wasting away. Here in Holland many take to the internet instead.

I'll stop now since i'm deviating from the subject somewhat.

Topcat
29-08-03, 14:19
Not getting involved in thye discussion whatsoever except to say that girls can easily get just as addicted to a game as a guy can, sometimes easier. And that Monkey game ur girlfriend plays, don't diss that, those 2 mins I spent playing it was more fun that my last 2 hours of Neocron.

Bring on the monkeys (and the girls)

SigmaDraconis
29-08-03, 14:27
I live in a crap town..full of crap people...i know plenty of people who play games....very few of them female...infact...only one i can think of was me old boss o.0

BUT i do know alot of female gamers *online*

omg i need to get an IGF.. sigh

GT_Rince
29-08-03, 14:29
I have never met a hardcore female computer gamer in real life...

I was married to one - they do exists - trust me. I know of at least 5 myself that play Half Life :)

Omnituens
29-08-03, 20:31
They will pwn you at Bubble Bobble.

i doubt that. i am the daddy of that game. and Dr. Robotniks mean bean machine. and super bub. 3 hit combo, GTFD.

most of the women i know have a games console and/or a PC and play games. they all have at least 1 Final Fantasy game.

If you don't own at least 1 FF game, you are breaking some sort of law btw.

RuButt
29-08-03, 22:52

i know a few hardcore girl gamers, irl.

but then again, i know like 3000 times more guys that plays ANY game then i know girls that play!

Thane
30-08-03, 02:35
bubble bobble is coop you twits, there is no ctf, dm, lms option in it :)

uh, and unless you saw a 128 in the upper right corner, i have been better *G* (nice bug warped me to a non existing level 127 once.. lol... was screwed :p )

and pffffft, of corz you weirdoes know more gamer-dudes than dudettes..... as if women would speak to you... hrhrhrrrrr

(and hell, if a women is interested in you she will even start to be interested in certain stuf YOU like sometimes.... very rare times..... and a very short time....... well.... forget it.. just something that came to my mind.. lol, in the end you will beinterested in her, and we have on gamer less... evil women :D )

Whiety Bulger
30-08-03, 03:35
More woman play games now then before but males still outnumber them by alot!!!!

Lethal Virus
30-08-03, 04:43
Ah, yes.

My Girlfriend is who origionally got me into playing Neocron, she nolonger plays Neocron, but is currently playing PlanetSide and SWG :eek:

BTW: She could whoop ya'll ass in Counter-Strike :D

Mattimeo
30-08-03, 07:15
wait wait wait, they're touting this study, that compares 6-17 year old boys to 18+ girls, ad meaning there's more female gamers? I'm just a little confused, last time I checked, the video game industrys key demographic was 18-24 year old males. I'd like to see all the the numbers. but for most accounts, this study is worth about whatever the gunk is on the bottom of my boot.

Rai Wong
30-08-03, 07:27
I know many girls but they like different games all together like sims, puzzle games and final fantasy (which I like too). Neocron is not the kind of game you'd find many girls playing. Science proves women generally find it harder to navigate in 3 dimension,, while men have a part of their brain devoted to 3 dimension, women have to use their central brain to computer 3 dimension making it hader. Hence more male air pilots and drivers etc. Plus women generally are less violent. Though there are many exceptions of course.

IF all the leader of the world were women, there'd be total peace and we'd all got over the global warming thing now

Rai Wong
30-08-03, 07:28
Plus women's brain indicates 4 times and more sadness when encountering emotional feats then men.

Breschau
30-08-03, 09:08
Originally posted by Mattimeo
wait wait wait, they're touting this study, that compares 6-17 year old boys to 18+ girls, ad meaning there's more female gamers? I'm just a little confused, last time I checked, the video game industrys key demographic was 18-24 year old males. I'd like to see all the the numbers. but for most accounts, this study is worth about whatever the gunk is on the bottom of my boot.

Read the whole thing. They say female gamers outnumber boys. They later go on to say that adult males make up the largest portion, and quote the number for girls as being just over half that for boys. girls/boys meaning age 6-17.

Though to be accurate, what it's really saying is that more adult female gamers answered a poll than young male gamers.

kurai
30-08-03, 09:32
It's just a worthless study that's had the conclusions massaged (none too skillfully) and presented in such a way as to imply something contrary to common observation.

Any old crap could be implied by the results if you apply enough ambiguity and misdirection.

It's like the old statistical saw ...
"Most people have more than the average number of legs"

It's true, as a statement, but imparts no useful information.

neophotographer
30-08-03, 15:22
I'd have to probably agree with you Kurai. :) the stranger or more interesting a headline like "More female Gamers than Men" is, the more times it'll be viewed, or keep people reading for more info, thus making ratings for their advertising go up, thus bringing in more money. and thus once more starting the circle back up :lol: viscious circle.

Stacey