PDA

View Full Version : Move OP undergrounds to the same zone as the OP

RayBob
29-08-03, 01:52
I like that a clan can now GR straight into their UG without SI. Defending an OP is a lot more fun now. This was a great change by KK.

However, most of the OP fights now center around the UG entrance. Many OP fights have now turned into "zoning" fights similar to the PP zone line area. That is not fun or practical since constant zoning is bound to lead to FREs.

I propose that the underground area of all OPs be moved into the same zone as the OP itself to eliminate this zoning. The UG could be accessed by long winding ramps or stairs.

The best example I can think of to illustrate this concept is the Soliko OP entrance. The OP is on top of a hill and accessible by long stairs that have been the sight of many a memorable battle. There is no zoning involved just a difficult and dangerous causeway to traverse. The underground areas could be pits deep below the OP accessible through a variety of interestingly designed ramps and stairs that could lead to awesome battles. No more of the zoning up and down bullshit.

Ray

Heavyporker
29-08-03, 02:14
whoo... nice idea, though it would be tricky to do for other OPs that don't have a massive mountain to bury their "underground" in.... but it would mean that the clans' tradeskillers could get the OP bonus, and as such, get to work in safer (i.e - farther from the action) and definitely far prettier area (well, look, I say I would like to work in the Lab OPs undergrounds if I want to research... plus wouldn't it be kickass RPing if you could sit in a room inside those things that move up and down in the lab OP UGs? and so on for factories and uplinks (now, THAT'S a place where one HAS to work underground for their hacking, but there's only two terminals, and you have to stand up to use them... WTF?!) and fortresses UGs (damn, but are they great for fighting in or what, with those really thick doors and corridors?

Another thing would be how to keep the current UG layouts, and integrate the stairways/ramps/ladders between the OP proper and the UGs, because I know KK wouldnt want to do more work than they have to

The only UGs that I don't particularly like are the Mine UGs... I don't like having critters crawl all over me when I'm trying to do a good run of chems or ammo.

Scikar
29-08-03, 02:45
First, OP bonuses do apply underground. You might not notice this because when you hack an OP, the underground doesn't change ownership until everyone leaves (which means any turrets remain owned by the previous owners), so you might have gone down and not seen any bonus symbol.

Second, there is plenty of ground underneath the OPs, what do you think they were built on? To the engine it's all empty anyway. All that would be needed is to copy the current UG from it's separate .bsp and paste it into the .bsp of the OP zone (at least it would work like that with the Unreal engine, .bsp is a little different but I think it would work). However this would mean that whatever patch included this would have to include the new .bsp files for all the zones with OPs, which means a big download.

However I would certainly love this idea to be implemented some day. It might even be possible with DoY.

{MD}GeistDamnit
29-08-03, 03:48
well, I think something should be done, every op war I was ever in since the changes revolved around people camping this entrance/exit. it is cheep cheesy and a pain in the ass.

I think they should have something different but it should definetly be in the same zone.

vote this thread 5 stars because it is an issue that is quite important.

Heavyporker
29-08-03, 04:03
Well, what about the owning clan putting turrets up to cover the UG? Because then, if one puts a couple weak turrets up around the OP entrance and hack hut, then the owners will get plenty of warning, and they will have covering fire when they come out of the UG.