PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks, quickbelts, and free load...

Q`alooaith
28-08-03, 23:52
Ok, right now all items have mass (they weigh somthing), but none have size (they don't take up any space in the backpack)..

I sugest a change to backpacks so bulker items take up space, and limit that space..
Now while I'm at it, might as well make quickbelt changes, since it don't matter the size of the items of that either..

So here's what I'd not change, you can still carry upto your max free load, and slot 1 of your quickbelt can still carry any one item..

But, instead of being able to carry masses of large item, I suggest a limit on the ammount you can carry, not bassed as much on transport, but bassed on the type of backpack you use..

Ok, so lets say we limit the space people can use of items, say to 25 units+1 per unit of transport, more than enough for most people, then also quickbelt slots, since any smart person would firgure to put the largest items there first so they don't take up room, I'd make their size depend on transport skill, with 0 skill slot one can carry any size, and the other slots can size 2 items and bellow, with them able to carry one size more for every 10 points of transport, so at 50 you'd be able to have size 7 items in your quickbelt slots..

Also a new item, the backpack, this item would be visible to other players, with three normal, and one rare flavor..
These items would let the player carry more items in tearms of backpack space, but would have a weight themselves, the req for them would be transport, and they would be backbone implants.

The idea is, take away the magic boxes we carry in our pockets that make us able to carry so much..

enablerbr
28-08-03, 23:59
NO. i've removed you from my xmas card list.

Maarten
29-08-03, 00:00
Compare the Diablo II inventory with the Neocron one, which do you like better... And you are suggesting to combine the two. A size AND weight limit.

Q`alooaith
29-08-03, 00:10
Originally posted by Maarten
Compare the Diablo II inventory with the Neocron one, which do you like better... And you are suggesting to combine the two. A size AND weight limit.

Yes.

though I was looking at Bakdurs gate more than Diablo... Though BG didn't have diffrent item sizes, but you get the idea..

So the backpack item would be good to carry larger items, but not heavyer items, this would also deal with some other ballence problems, since you could only carry one large weapon or two if you skimp on transport points..

Why make a grid in the inventory, why make the icons for pistols smaller than cannons or rifles?
Unless your going to make dissplacment a factor, why not make all the icons the same size so people can see the details and such..

I suggest you have a go at a game with both a mass and displcment limit. It's fun, since you can't carry 100 spare armor suits, but you can carry more healing items.

I'd like to take the time to say, I'm not saying we remove the weight limits, I'm saying we add a size limt, so while you can still carry 100 tones, you just can't carry 100 cars anymore.

enablerbr
29-08-03, 00:13
been there done that. yet i still prefer the NC method.

Q`alooaith
29-08-03, 00:16
Originally posted by enablerbr
been there done that. yet i still prefer the NC method.

Read my posts, then rethink it, since I doute you've played a game with a mass and displacment limit.

enablerbr
29-08-03, 00:19
well i played baulders gate and diablo II. i thought those methods where nothing more than a pain in the arse. only good thing in diablo II was that box (something cube) that i could store a bit more stuff in. well least it had it's added use.

Breschau
29-08-03, 00:34
I'd prefer the current system - I don't really want to add additional limits to how much I can carry than are already in place.

If the game was aiming to be realistic and truly represent a real world (might have fantasy and sci-fi elements, but done in a 'realistic' way) then I might change my mind. But it's not, it's done as a video game so I'd like to keep it that way in this particular area (for now anyway - there's other things that need improved realism more than this imo).

(Remember, for this to make sense, each individual cannister of, say, solantium would take up a slot. As would each individual medikit. Or piece of junk you're planning to recycle. No more stacks, in other words, cept maybe for smaller items (drugs, some ammo) which would be allowed in limited stacks of, say, 10.)

der Ed
29-08-03, 01:06
I always loved to be able to carry like 30 Stormlasers =)

HighRiseDrifter
29-08-03, 01:51
Originally posted by enablerbr
well i played baulders gate and diablo II. i thought those methods where nothing more than a pain in the arse. only good thing in diablo II was that box (something cube) that i could store a bit more stuff in. well least it had it's added use.

Horadric cube I think!

Anyway, back to the reason for this thread.

I understand why you would want to go down this route with backpacks and QBs etc. However, I don't agree with it. I like the NC method. It's simple, fast and reasonably effective. I vote keep it as it is.

This game has already suffered nerfs recently and, although your idea is not technically a nerf, it could be construed as such.

You could go waaaaay back to games like Dungeon Master which also had a backpack system based on weight. However, in that game you could also pick up `chests` and store more things in them. The chest would then go into your inventory (damned heavy things as far as I can remember).

Anyway, that's my two pennies worth.

Heavyporker
29-08-03, 02:18
LOL! Like NetHack's chests, you mean? ;)

Thundra
29-08-03, 02:24
thats all well and good for hunting but to be honest when it came to trade skilling people would get so pissed off never having the room to batch build ever people just would stop batch building. i think for a game like neo the current system is bests as ive never ahd a problem with it.

altho i do liek the idea about the quick belt- instead of having to get different back packs u could get different belts. so first one ahs 10 slots then maybe the next has 12 next 14 and the rare one maybe 14 and 2 safe slots (soullight would effect this still)
no idea really but yes on the quick belt idea adn no on the backpacks.

Q`alooaith
29-08-03, 15:38
You lot are dman negative..

The idea is not to have just a system of displacment (item size) but also weight..

No one listens to a good idea.

The whole point is to make the system more dependate on the ammount of trasport subskill you have, and with 50 points in it, not only could you have any weapon in any quickbelt slot (slot one unlimited size, other 7 size, since no weapon take more than 6 size) And would also be able to carry 75 units of displacment, and whatever weight, so you could stack items like chems still, upto the max weight..

Other point is, the backpack, a visible item that would let you carry more, but have a weight of it's own... much like them chests..

I'm not suggesting a BG of DII system, or even a system shock 2 method, I'm suggesting somthing diffrent.

Bloddy hell, everyone hates any idea like this, because they don't read any of it!

Thundra
30-08-03, 03:34
i read all ya idea and yes u bring some good points but i thin the back pack idea just isnt suited to this gane but i agree about the quic belt. plz dont say things like were jst being negative because we dont agree 100% that just means your unwilling to listern to our points.

i understand what u mean but i was just giving my opinion i agreed with 50% of your ideas u should see that as an achievment. not every idea u say should be agreed on, u have to admit this.

dr.fish
30-08-03, 03:39
just try and take out 10 heavy guns out yer pocket in real time life :)

Shatter242
30-08-03, 03:57
I think of NC as similar to the Xenosaga/Capsule Corp method of item management.

When not in use, the items shirnk to a tiny obect. Carry as many as you like, though in NC they still have weight, which is fine by me. You take them out, and they materialize into full size.

I mean, we run around using GenReps, why not smaller versions for your pack...

I mean.. it's not like you actually SEE the pack or belt on anyone do you?

:cool:

--Shatter

Q`alooaith
30-08-03, 12:27
Originally posted by Shatter242
I think of NC as similar to the Xenosaga/Capsule Corp method of item management.

When not in use, the items shirnk to a tiny obect. Carry as many as you like, though in NC they still have weight, which is fine by me. You take them out, and they materialize into full size.

I mean, we run around using GenReps, why not smaller versions for your pack...

I mean.. it's not like you actually SEE the pack or belt on anyone do you?

:cool:

--Shatter

No one reads anymore..

I was sggesting adding a visble backpack..

and if you use the Gen rep theory, then the items would be being made new each time, and so you'd need to carry the replicator, and a massive energy generator to power it.

Q`alooaith
30-08-03, 12:29
Originally posted by dr.fish
just try and take out 10 heavy guns out yer pocket in real time life :)

Yo Doc fish, your Sig's too big.

Thats my point. Try and carry thirty first aid kits and a couple of LAW's and a mini gun IRL, even if you can lift the weight, where you put em all?

MjukisDjur
30-08-03, 16:39
the weight system is one of the things that DO NOT NEED TO BE FIXED :)

Q`alooaith
30-08-03, 23:13
Originally posted by MjukisDjur
the weight system is one of the things that DO NOT NEED TO BE FIXED :)

It is not a change to the weight system

It's the addtion of another system for the size of things, no change to the weight system, you can still carry 100 tones if you like, but they might not all fit in your pockets.

Shatter242
10-09-03, 20:54
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
It is not a change to the weight system

It's the addtion of another system for the size of things, no change to the weight system, you can still carry 100 tones if you like, but they might not all fit in your pockets.

Ya ya...

People, think of it this way.

Yes, you can carry 20 lbs/kilos of styrofoam packing penuts in a huge bag, with lots of weight to spare.

But where the hell are you going to put it?