PDA

View Full Version : *BRAINPORT IDEA* Killing Blow

Nullifidian
28-08-03, 19:38
Ok, here's an idea that actually came from SWG but I think would work well in Neocron.

Basically, when you run out of Health, you don't necessarily die. Instead, you are incapacitated for a certain amout of time or until revived. However, when incapacitated, you can be killed if you are shot again.

Why have this? This would be most helpful in situations when you have to defend yourself against a runner of an allied or neutral faction who attacked you. If you kill them you get a SL hit. However, if this system were in place, you could incapacitate them and run away. This wouldn't guarantee you wouldn't get a SL hit since they could still die, but it would at least give you the opportunity to defend yourself with a chance of not being penalized.

Also, it would be good for the wastelands. Some mobs for example might not be interested in killing outright, but merely attack until they no longer perceive a threat. For example, from a distance, a firemob probably wouldn't know the difference between a dead runner and an incapacitated runner. Warbots on the other hand would always go for the kill.

So, tell me what you think.

Shadow Dancer
28-08-03, 19:39
5 star

Originally posted by =Chojin=
also dueling would b much better :D

Omg that's so true.

=Chojin=
28-08-03, 19:40
also dueling would b much better :D

im not sure about the mobs tho u would have to change there AI and im pretty sure thats not easy, but correct me if im wrong.

Ch0

Cyphor (Ash)
28-08-03, 19:43
I love this idea, and it's one of the aspects I liked about EQ. 5 Stars.

Edit: I could imagine people thinking 'OMG OMG KILLING BLWO ROFL LEIK A BJ ONOZ NOT TEH BJ LOL!!!!!!!!!!1111111'. Mmm, Onozish.

Breschau
28-08-03, 19:44
Good idea.

Though I suspect they'd just make all mobs go for the kill. Doesn't strike me as something KK would do - having some leave you incapacitated to recover.

mdares
28-08-03, 19:50
1 word: Torture

then you can torture an enemy:

parabarrel the ground and beat up till "incap" then let them recover a little; and do it again... just to annoy them or they set killself >=)

me like.

Dribble Joy
28-08-03, 19:55
Nice idea.
I suspect most people will finish off the one they are fighting.
Also, what if you are at low health (Ie. not quite incapacitated) and you're hit by a large weapon, Ie. a moonie blast? Do you still just fall unconcsious (can never spell that word) or do you die?

It would be great for dualling though.

Drake6k
28-08-03, 20:00
I think they should fix the clan war system instead of finding an easy way around the soulight problem. I dont really like the idea of deathblows. People would knock down their friends for fun ALL THE TIME. I like to know someone is dead when they hit the ground.

Nullifidian
28-08-03, 20:03
Originally posted by mdares
1 word: Torture

then you can torture an enemy:

parabarrel the ground and beat up till "incap" then let them recover a little; and do it again... just to annoy them or they set killself >=)

me like.

Ah, you bring up a good point.

To rememdy this, perhaps when you are incapacitated it should bring up a window telling you that you are incapacitated and asking if you would like to die or wait to recover. It sounds funny, I know, but it would prevent grief caused by repeated incapacitation.

Also, while incapacitated, you should regain health as you normally do; it shouldn't remain at zero the whole time. That way when you wake up, you won't necessarily be easy prey. Monks could heal you for example. Reviving an incapacitated person prematurely would require resurrection.

As for mobs killing or incapping, you could simply have it based on distance. If a mob is beyond a certain range, they stop shooting once you are incapacitated. If you are closer than that "magic range", they'd kill you. This makes sense in several ways. Number 1 is that logically, up close they'd be able to see you aren't dead, but far away they can't. Gameplay wise, if you are up close, they'd just attack immediately the second you got up, so it would be a pain in the ass.

\\Fényx//
28-08-03, 20:22
^^ nice idea

http://neocron.jafc.de/images/icons/icon14.gif

Breschau
28-08-03, 20:31
The 'torture' element is easily dealt with without even needing to add anything.

Just '/set kill_self 1'.

After all, you'd be dead if this idea wasn't in place, and if someone has the time to stay and 'torture' you, there'd not be much chance of you ending this alive.

mdares
28-08-03, 21:00
the windows thing is odd as u said but eh it could work; the spell thing shouldnt be rez as that would take too long... maybe a "holy recovery" spell or something thats 1.5 times as fast and gives 50% hp?

but i must admit interesting ideas here...

X452
28-08-03, 21:15
good idea,

can the engine handel it though#?

Scikar
29-08-03, 01:26
Originally posted by Nullifidian
As for mobs killing or incapping, you could simply have it based on distance. If a mob is beyond a certain range, they stop shooting once you are incapacitated. If you are closer than that "magic range", they'd kill you. This makes sense in several ways. Number 1 is that logically, up close they'd be able to see you aren't dead, but far away they can't. Gameplay wise, if you are up close, they'd just attack immediately the second you got up, so it would be a pain in the ass.

But logically, if you were fighting a mutant, and the mutant incapacitated you from a distance, if there was no other threat the mutant would pronably head over to make sure you're dead/loot your corpse. Then again they don't loot you as it is so may as well just have them act like other mobs (it would be really cool though to kill a mutant and find he was carrying some armor or a gun stolen from another runner.

mdares
29-08-03, 01:34
ooo i know make it so that the mobs will "loot" the qbs of whoever they kill (or which ever qb that is within say 5 m of them). Then the qb contents are stored in the database as the "loot" of that perticular mob...

however that would mean each mob would need a special "ID" such that it is possible to differentiate between each one and have each store an "inventory"...

this idea could work but the server load issues might make it completely unviable...

RayBob
29-08-03, 01:36
Why not? Anything that adds more opportunities to do something different is good.

I imagine 2 duelers, for example, fighting it out and then one of them is incapacitated. The victor can now lay the killing blow or ask the loser to pay a fee to spare his life.

Great idea.

Ray

joran420
29-08-03, 01:43
hmmm SWG anyone?

deathblows are stoopid...i want them dead when they hit teh ground

StryfeX
29-08-03, 05:00
I like the idea. It makes sense in both an RP way and a gameplay way. But I also have one major reservation...can the game engine handle it... :confused:

--Stryfe

Heavyporker
29-08-03, 05:22
yeah, there's that concern with everyone trying to lay down as many shots down on the other guy as fast as they can...

but still, quite intriguing idea.

KimmyG
29-08-03, 06:01
Idea's pretty good.

Drexel
29-08-03, 07:52
Heh, from the topic title I thought this was a pRon discussion thread...

Excuse me.

yanbybkipbbpbbp
29-08-03, 09:31
Brilliant idea, lets keep on chipping away the PvP aspects of this game. Lets start by introducing incapacitation, then by introducing ClanLE so you can join clans and not be PKed, then introduce the no death servers, or make all servers no death, it would work like this : your PvPing ( well not really, since this game has no PvP aspects anymore) and as soon as your life gets under 5% you stop taking damage and your challenger gets a message saying “congratulations sonic, you have collected enough rings and you have defeated doctor robotnic, there is no need to do any more harm, lets sing flower power songs, I Love you , you love me, we are happy….” It would work awesome; think how cool the duels would be. Hell lets replace the coliseum with a singing stadium, where all you carebears can gather around in purple dinosaur suits and sing. Once again dude, you have some brilliant ideas, I mean its not like were playing an rpg with fps aspects in a gritty, dirty, fallout type of future world, where anywhere around the corner awaits you a mugger, just waiting to kill you, where you must not trust anyone, mad max style. Oh wait that’s right, were not playing that game, were playing Barbie land with Barnie aspects, thanks for reminding me, KK I think you should definitely listen to this idea, I mean you already gimped your game by listening to carebears during beta, lets finish neocron off. Once again dude, you are brilliant, your right there with drexel, neophotographer, and qd.

Original monk
29-08-03, 09:35
Originally posted by yanbybkipbbpbbp
Brilliant idea, lets keep on chipping away the PvP aspects of this game. Lets start by introducing incapacitation, then by introducing ClanLE so you can join clans and not be PKed, then introduce the no death servers, or make all servers no death, it would work like this : your PvPing ( well not really, since this game has no PvP aspects anymore) and as soon as your life gets under 5% you stop taking damage and your challenger gets a message saying “congratulations sonic, you have collected enough rings and you have defeated doctor robotnic, there is no need to do any more harm, lets sing flower power songs, I Love you , you love me, we are happy….” It would work awesome; think how cool the duels would be. Hell lets replace the coliseum with a singing stadium, where all you carebears can gather around in purple dinosaur suits and sing. Once again dude, you have some brilliant ideas, I mean its not like were playing an rpg with fps aspects in a gritty, dirty, fallout type of future world, where anywhere around the corner awaits you a mugger, just waiting to kill you, where you must not trust anyone, mad max style. Oh wait that’s right, were not playing that game, were playing Barbie land with Barnie aspects, thanks for reminding me, KK I think you should definitely listen to this idea, I mean you already gimped your game by listening to carebears during beta, lets finish neocron off. Once again dude, you are brilliant, your right there with drexel, neophotographer, and qd.

LoL youre funny man

Sorontar
29-08-03, 10:37
Not so keen on the Death Blow thing but some of the ideas that have come from it are cool.

The monsters looting is a nice idea but only the intelligent ones. But they wouldnt be able to have the contents of your QB just your QB itself (Unless they are deemed to have a hack skill equivalent).

I used to love seeing the ** rumages through backpack ** message above monsters on UO as they picked up the other monsters gear.

Shadow Dancer
29-08-03, 10:38
Originally posted by Sorontar

I used to love seeing the ** rumages through backpack ** message above monsters on UO as they picked up the other monsters gear.

haha, me too. That was an awesome feature. I remember stealthing near people's corpses. I had stealth on my mage, so I would loot their corspe, precast explosion, then wait for them to attack me so I didnt' get a murder count. :lol:

BlackDove
29-08-03, 10:59

:lol: I have to agree.:lol:

Nullifidian
29-08-03, 16:19
Brilliant idea, lets keep on chipping away the PvP aspects of this game. Lets start by introducing incapacitation, *---snip---*

So what exactly about this idea is carebearish?

If you want to kill the guy, just shoot him again. I don't see anything carebear in that. If anything this encourages more fighting because there's the possibility of no SL penalty if you only knock them out and don't finish them off.