PDA

View Full Version : How secure is your system?

Lexxuk
28-08-03, 16:01
If your using an NT based system (NT/2k/XP) try this..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/tools/Tools/mbsahome.asp

It will examine ur system, and umm, do stuff, like, tell you what is insecure, apparently, well, yeah, and it (reads..) ahh, it err, well, its called security base line analyser, and analyses ur security, from the base line, or something ;)

Benjie
28-08-03, 16:03
What. ENGLAND??!! (thnx)

Legoias
28-08-03, 17:38
http://www.ah0.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/random/mbsa.jpg

LOLZ

Shadow Dancer
28-08-03, 17:48
Why do you wanna know Lexxuk? :D

Roc-a-fella
28-08-03, 17:50
Originally posted by Lexxuk

It will examine ur system, and umm, do stuff, like, tell you what is insecure, apparently, well, yeah, and it (reads..) ahh, it err, well, its called security base line analyser, and analyses ur security, from the base line, or something ;)

for all those well, umm's and yeah's and the wink at then end, i am not downloading this file

Lexxuk
28-08-03, 17:53
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Why do you wanna know Lexxuk? :D

cuz i r 1337 script kiddie hax0r!!111oneeleven etc..

for all those well, umm's and yeah's and the wink at then end, i am not downloading this file

Its really cool, told me a few things on my XP box I didnt know, like, I've not run the IIS LockDown tool (I had a few bad scores :( )

The Vulgarian
28-08-03, 18:10
Its really cool, told me a few things on my XP box I didnt know, like, I've not run the IIS LockDown tool (I had a few bad scores )

That was sarcasm, right?
Or are you using a webserver as a workstation?

ReefSmoker
28-08-03, 19:24
I love the baseline security analyser from Microsoft, it tells me that my system does not exist 8| :lol:

(btw, I don't run a firewall or any of that Norton security nonsense, I just know how to set up a computer securely - one of the perks of being a network engineer for 6 years before I set up my own business)

Take care,

ReefSmoker

EDIT : Hate typos... sure sure, I know computers pretty well, but still can't hit the right keys when I want :p

Lexxuk
28-08-03, 19:32
Originally posted by The Vulgarian
That was sarcasm, right?
Or are you using a webserver as a workstation?

I use IIS for when I make my PHP web pages, port 80 is locked down by my firewall though, only local access is allowed by it.

@ Reefie - :p hehehe

The Vulgarian
28-08-03, 21:25
I use IIS for when I make my PHP web pages, port 80 is locked down by my firewall though, only local access is allowed by it.

Ah. Sorry about that mate. I just thought for a second you were one of the "I have to have Windows 2003 Server installed on my gaming machine coz it's l33t!" people. :D

Susan Ivanova
29-08-03, 11:36
Originally posted by Lexxuk

@ Reefie - :p hehehe
I'm no IIS expert but can't you just tell IIS to listen on the loopback interface? Usually you just don't let services listen on interfaces to the outside world and you don't need any firewall.
No additional firewall => less complexity
less complexity => less possible vulnerabilities

Vampire222
29-08-03, 11:52
just rip out ur internet cable... noone can ever hack you then

Heavyporker
29-08-03, 12:26
They won't be able to hack your computer remotely if you rip out the internet access, granted, but they always can if they're in person :D

djskum
29-08-03, 12:33
The best way to secure a machine is to run over it in a large main battle tank. Voila! Security! Oh almost forgot, run the remains thru an electro magnet and then burn...

DjSKum

Original monk
29-08-03, 12:41
Originally posted by djskum
The best way to secure a machine is to run over it in a large main battle tank. Voila! Security! Oh almost forgot, run the remains thru an electro magnet and then burn...

DjSKum

even then they can track down everything on youre harddisk :/ its really crazy, there are specialized company's that regain info from harddisks that where trapped in a fire etc, its really crazy

edit: ontopic: my firewall is in my router and i think it works well :P

djskum
29-08-03, 12:47
Originally posted by Original monk
even then they can track down everything on youre harddisk :/ its really crazy, there are specialized company's that regain info from harddisks that where trapped in a fire etc, its really crazy

Not atfer running thru an electro magnet tho... ;-)

But I know what you mean, they peel the individual layers from the disks! It's mad! Fortunately reasuringly expensive...

DjSKum

Ithaqua
29-08-03, 13:28
I take it you guys are on about people like vogon international (http://www.vogon.co.uk) :D

heh, don't think they go to the lengths of reading the magnetic data off the platters with a scanning electron microscope though (my personal fav "i want that data and you're not going to stop me" excessively loony recovery method) :angel:

VictorKruger
29-08-03, 16:16
The microsoft Security Analyzer is a contradiction in terms. All that script does is looks at a bunch of settings that are in a security file and then compares the settings to the file to what you have on your computer. The main problem is that the default file is has everything at its lowest settings. And if you have changed any security settings to better protect yourself, the analyzer will flag that change and say this is different as well as make it sound like you are doing something wrong.

Microsoft's default Security polocy for all of their windows operating systems, with the exception of server 2003, has been an open secruity polocy, which means, by default, everyone has access to everything. Which explains the default file that they put into the "security analyzer". The only real way of checking your system with this "tool" is to locate a security check file that someone has made for their networks and use it for your system.

Of course, this is all based on my experience with the "security analyzer" that comes included with windows 2000 server. And when i did try to look the microsoft site, the server timed out and i'm not able to download the latest version.