PDA

View Full Version : So i wanna start a PPU

Futureman
28-08-03, 01:58
Ok well i already have actually, and i gotta admit its pretty fun and actually a little more exciting, as i am forced to team with other players, but the cool thing is that other players always like having a ppu around to help. But i am around lvl 25-20 (depending if i use the Holy Parashock Lance, which i never use anyway), and i keep on hearing people tell me to Lom to APU and then lom back later. I don't mind the time loming, but I have been having fun with this char, and i think its pretty cool. If i could keep finding teams of my level i would never want to lom to PPU and i think with an APU of my level, i can help him become more than twice as effective. I was out at Jeriko the other day with an APU around my level and it worked REALLY well. I was wondering what the concensus here is. Should I lom to APU or stay PPU all the way. I haven't really looked at the APU spells I would have access too, so I am not sure what I would do.

enablerbr
28-08-03, 02:00
i too started a ppu but i'm gonna gimp him and imp up for pistols. from what i've heard from other players is you should be apu 1st then lom to ppu. if you still want to be a ppu monk.

Edit:btw an apu i spoke to said they lost 3.5 lvl's loming to pure ppu.

Disturbed021
28-08-03, 02:05
Stay PPU.
The only reason to go APU then LoM later would be if you wanted to solo alot and/or you want to cap PSI quicker.....tho most will say that APU levels faster but I dunno bout that.
I have a low rank PPU I started recently and he is leveling quick as hell, just as quick if not quicker than my APU because my PPU is always in a team and killing things alittle bit higher than our rank is easy with a PPU, therefore, mo' exp.

Shadow Dancer
28-08-03, 02:08
APU levels faster. Also there's no much ppuing you can do for other people until you hit at least blessed shelter/heal.

wolfwood
28-08-03, 02:55
go apu first trust me i made an apu and got him to 60 base psi in one day.

nostrah
28-08-03, 04:12
60 psi in one day... may I ask for the magic recipe plz?

Thx, Nostra

MI2k1
28-08-03, 04:31
/set editstats_psi_60

Disturbed021
28-08-03, 09:34
Originally posted by nostrah
60 psi in one day... may I ask for the magic recipe plz?

Thx, Nostra

From start PSI (5 I think) to 60 is pretty easy to do in the first day if you start like real early Sat morning you can have 60 PSI by Dinner time or so.
Put all INT points in PSU for better range and RoF have some prebuilt Spells. Put hardly any points into PPW put min in MST all the rest in APU.
You do crap loads of damage and only have to switch out spells every 15 levels or so. TL2 Enr Bolt, TL21 Holy Enr Bolt, TL37 Enr Halo, TL55 Holy Enr Halo.
You don't have to waste time upgrading your armor as it doesn't help much at the low levels neways, just a time/money sink imo + you level con faster without armor:p

The best place is the TH cores with the sec bots. They don't do much damage so you can start killing them at xx/12 or so and they are 35/35 and 37/37 so they give you good exp until you are around xx/35 and by then you have at least base 60 PSI and shitloads of money from the C8's, 9's and 10's.
It is pretty easy to do since I have done it about 4-5 times now
:rolleyes: I have got to stop rerolling:lol:

But I still think PPUs level just as fast as APUs I just think they have to buy more low to mid level spells than APUs do in order to be affective.

Original monk
28-08-03, 09:41
hiya futureman, i saw youre ppu allready online and i wonna wish ya best luck with it :P

KidWithStick
28-08-03, 09:47
Originally posted by Disturbed021
Stay PPU.
The only reason to go APU then LoM later would be if you wanted to solo alot and/or you want to cap PSI quicker.....tho most will say that APU levels faster but I dunno bout that.
I have a low rank PPU I started recently and he is leveling quick as hell, just as quick if not quicker than my APU because my PPU is always in a team and killing things alittle bit higher than our rank is easy with a PPU, therefore, mo' exp.

your on crack...always go APU first untill you get to like atleast 90 PSI then LOM...

you say you started a low lvl PPU and hes lvling good...well i hate to tell you but everyone lvls fast at first...once you get up to 80 PSI you aint gonna be lvling for shit.

Disturbed021
28-08-03, 10:21
Originally posted by KidWithStick
your on crack...always go APU first untill you get to like atleast 90 PSI then LOM...

you say you started a low lvl PPU and hes lvling good...well i hate to tell you but everyone lvls fast at first...once you get up to 80 PSI you aint gonna be lvling for shit.

Yes, crack is good. Want some?

Me confused. You're saying to go APU just so you can level quickly from PSI levels 80-90?

Some ppl dont neccesarily want to cap as quickly as they possible can. Some ppl like to explore the option of a new class such as a PPU. You know learn the class at low-mid levels...

The dude who started this thread said he likes being a PPU its fun atm for him, so of course I suggested that he not go APU.
Enjoy the fun while you have it cause you may get in a big hurry to level, get capped and get bored. In this game (or any game) go with what makes you have fun not with the quickest, easiest way to cap unless that is fun for you, then by all means.

Opiate
28-08-03, 10:41
Originally posted by Opiate
What I did to level my PPU:
-bashing rats till /5
-bashing aggies till /10
-go to El Farid with a team, I was there for 4 hours and got out at /18
-put all DEX points into PC, and start shooting aggies, TH turrets etc. Don't go for mobs way higher (even if you handle them) as you get less exp from them.
-when you get the rocket launcher pistol, go to El Farid again
-After capping the cap (when you nolonger get DEX exp), start lomming to AGL and make up for two lost levels by constructing boosters
-do caveruns till you're bored :D

It took me only a week (of intense levelling) to get to /50 and have CON, DEX & STR capped ;)
Considering that this PPU was /58 at the time the trial account expired (after 13 days), and that he had spent the last 3 days at MC5, I'd say levelling a PPU from the start is a viable option.

You might think you level faster as an APU, but a PPU in a good caving team makes an insane amount of experience.

ericdraven
28-08-03, 12:07
If you have a team around you all the time then choose PPU (because he WILL level faster than an APU), otherwise APU. Simple.

zonk
28-08-03, 12:15
Same story goes with lomming a high lvl droner to rifler, just DONT, make a new char and wait till droning becomes more interesting.

Futureman
28-08-03, 18:10
Well, fellas, i am now at lvl 55, the magic ressurection level. I can't tell you how cool it is to be fighting a Warbot with someone and have them die and bring them back while the WB is still after you but on the other side of a hill!

Well, here's what I have done:

From lvl 5 to 30, i soloed mutant gunmen in the Aggie cellars, which is pretty safe for a noob, and the tl8 does pretty good damage considering that its a Passive spell. Afterwards, I went to level at Jeriko, and found an APU there. It went pretty well, because with the Blessed deflector ( i think thats what it was) combined with the Shelter i managed to keep him safe from hurler grenades. He could stay out of range of the Launchers, so we leveled pretty fast there.

I kept looking for folks at Jeriko but soon gave up after a CM pked me there. Pretty pathetic, imo to kill a lvl 25 PPU of a neutral faction...

So last night i went to MB and found a team there to go WB hunting. I found this tank with what i think was a speedgun and we went afterwarbots. It was pretty cool, and although he died a few times, i could rez him with drugs. But now i am lvl 55, and i have blessed heal and ressurection, so its going well. I doubt ill be switching to APU because I can hunt WBs for a while till i am high enough to do some cave duties. We'll have to see though.

Maarten
28-08-03, 20:43
Bring a PPU rocks!

I started as a Hybrid and got to PSI 57, but I really didn't like playing with him. Then the major hybrid nerf struck and I lommed to PPU. I've been caving ever since. Very cool to keep other people alive. :)

What works best is to team with a single APU which has a combat rank close to yours. You will level fastest that way. Then get that APU a nice barrel and cave away.

I've been doing this with Generic on Uranus a lot lately. He's at 75/60 now and I'm at 73/54. My chars name is Spurky.

KidWithStick
28-08-03, 21:18
Originally posted by Disturbed021
Yes, crack is good. Want some?

Me confused. You're saying to go APU just so you can level quickly from PSI levels 80-90?

Some ppl dont neccesarily want to cap as quickly as they possible can. Some ppl like to explore the option of a new class such as a PPU. You know learn the class at low-mid levels...

The dude who started this thread said he likes being a PPU its fun atm for him, so of course I suggested that he not go APU.
Enjoy the fun while you have it cause you may get in a big hurry to level, get capped and get bored. In this game (or any game) go with what makes you have fun not with the quickest, easiest way to cap unless that is fun for you, then by all means.

when he stops having fun being able to outheal agressors and wants to move on how is he going to? u gotta have atleast 95 PSI to do anything worth while...

Archeus
28-08-03, 21:20
Originally posted by KidWithStick
when he stops having fun being able to outheal agressors and wants to move on how is he going to? u gotta have atleast 95 PSI to do anything worth while...

Not true. But very low level PPU life is hell. As long as you team with similar levels you will raise your XP very fast.

Disturbed021
28-08-03, 21:21
@KWS,
read below; he seems to be doing fine.

Originally posted by Futureman
Well, fellas, i am now at lvl 55, the magic ressurection level. I can't tell you how cool it is to be fighting a Warbot with someone and have them die and bring them back while the WB is still after you but on the other side of a hill!

Well, here's what I have done:

From lvl 5 to 30, i soloed mutant gunmen in the Aggie cellars, which is pretty safe for a noob, and the tl8 does pretty good damage considering that its a Passive spell. Afterwards, I went to level at Jeriko, and found an APU there. It went pretty well, because with the Blessed deflector ( i think thats what it was) combined with the Shelter i managed to keep him safe from hurler grenades. He could stay out of range of the Launchers, so we leveled pretty fast there.

I kept looking for folks at Jeriko but soon gave up after a CM pked me there. Pretty pathetic, imo to kill a lvl 25 PPU of a neutral faction...

So last night i went to MB and found a team there to go WB hunting. I found this tank with what i think was a speedgun and we went afterwarbots. It was pretty cool, and although he died a few times, i could rez him with drugs. But now i am lvl 55, and i have blessed heal and ressurection, so its going well. I doubt ill be switching to APU because I can hunt WBs for a while till i am high enough to do some cave duties. We'll have to see though.

Disturbed021
28-08-03, 21:23
Originally posted by Archeus
Not true. But very low level PPU life is hell. As long as you team with similar levels you will raise your XP very fast.

Exactly! As long as you always have teams you level fine.

Futureman
28-08-03, 22:07
I forgot who mentioned it, but which caves can you go to at lvl 60? I don't really have any idea. I suppose i could go to poison caves, but i can't use any antidote yet. Chaos caves? I have no idea.

Archeus
28-08-03, 22:26
Originally posted by Futureman
I forgot who mentioned it, but which caves can you go to at lvl 60? I don't really have any idea. I suppose i could go to poison caves, but i can't use any antidote yet. Chaos caves? I have no idea.

If you are at Rez level you can do CRP.

KidWithStick
28-08-03, 22:35
sorry then guys...

i got a PPU also and i started out as PPU...it took me forever to lvl, and for me it isnt fun untill you can use holy shelter/lvl 3 boosts/holy heal.

i guess if you have fun then thats all that matters...

Futureman
28-08-03, 23:36
I don't know either, Kid,

I think its a blast and im almost to lvl 60. The only problem is that its expensive being a PPU. Theres a lot of stuff to buy and you can only make income through teams. Its pretty easy to get a team, i think. All i do is just go around and find a guy who is about to die and heal him up and buff him, and then he'll usually team with me.

I'll go to CRP i imagine that its pretty good. I wish i could go to a cave somewhere though like the swamp caves. They are pretty good, but im not sure when I can get the antidote spells, bc the shaman is pretty though, and i don't want to die being the ppu.

But i found leveling from start to PSI 30 is easy, because you can heal and have decent offense. *shrugs* its fun, but you do hit a bit of a wall when aggies start to get old. It appears that you have to find a way to bridget the gap between going alone against the aggies vs. going in a team with the rez and blessed heal and def plus regular shelter. Nothing amazing, but it works.

Maarten
28-08-03, 23:57
The Scorpion Cave in El Farid Village is a nice step after MB but before CRP.

You can use Crahn Anitdote when you're at PSI 60, so a poison cave might work too.

The best way to get money and XP is to team with a single APU with same rank as you.

Futureman
29-08-03, 00:01
hmm... i've got to find some way to get a bike.....

enablerbr
29-08-03, 00:02
lol. the PPU pimp and APU whore. what a way to go.:D

eLcHi
29-08-03, 11:09
Hi !

Leveling as a PPU is completely viable ...

If you start together with a APU from scratch and team up from the beginning you can level pretty well ...

after two days of leveling both were in the 80s range with the PPU only 2 or 3 PSI-Levels behind ...

Of course this was only teaming up with the APU ... with a bigger team the PPU would level more i guess

My PPU is at Psi-Base 89 now .. but i dont level him anymore ...

eLcHi