PDA

View Full Version : Another idea on retaining Noobs

Clothing_Option
27-08-03, 22:44
When a noob first starts the game, a msg is broadcast on the same faction chat channel that the person is a member of.
At that point clans can help/recruit the person.
Hence, the person is not just wandering around with out a clue and they will feel part of a community and less likley to leave

These auto msgs could be programed by KK.

SpAcEDoUbT
27-08-03, 22:49
Excellent Idea in theory. Can just see " Attention XX runners - Insertnamehere has Joined XX faction ".

IMO it would be a great addition if its possible to do so and help out many a new runner.

Arcadius
27-08-03, 22:50
I prefer it to be a "world" announcement and not just faction only.

kujikiri
27-08-03, 22:52
I would think that there are enough players willing to devote an hour or two a week to log in as a special noob advisor in mc5. It would have been great if there was a live player here to hand out advice instead of the npcs that are there.All we need is a special advisor character (maybe no combat skills) and someone to put a scedule together.

The faction channels seem to work, I've remotely walked 2 noobs out of mc5 over faction chat and met them in NC to help get them started, but I could have helped a lot more if i was in mc5.

Clothing_Option
27-08-03, 22:53
Originally posted by Arcadius
I prefer it to be a "world" announcement and not just faction only.

That's fine. The important point is that the server population is notified and pluto's pple can get new pple to stay.

SigmaDraconis
27-08-03, 22:57
Originally posted by kujikiri
I would think that there are enough players willing to devote an hour or two a week to log in as a special noob advisor in mc5. It would have been great if there was a live player here to hand out advice instead of the npcs that are there.All we need is a special advisor character (maybe no combat skills) and someone to put a scedule together.

The faction channels seem to work, I've remotely walked 2 noobs out of mc5 over faction chat and met them in NC to help get them started, but I could have helped a lot more if i was in mc5.

Believe it or not yes i would voluntarily spend time helping set up newbs when they first join the game o.0

Its actually a rather good idea.

IronMonkey
27-08-03, 22:58

this is exactly what i think should be done

EXACTLY

d3ik
27-08-03, 22:58
In Jumpgate (other MMORPG I played) we had what was called a mentor program. When someone logged in for the first time it sent out a world message saying 'Runner Chuckles just joined faction Blah-Blah'. At that point we could type '/mentor Chuckles' and it would send a message to Chuckles saying 'Hey, user guy would like to mentor you'.

As a mentor you get a message whenever the person you are mentoring logs on or logs off. You can also share XP by being in a constant 'team'. It was pretty nice, as new people instantly had someone to talk to.

The complaint that I hear all the time is that the world is so foreign and people are unapproachable, which can seem that it is the case but really you just have to walk up and talk to someone and they will be cordial... just no one in NC usually initiates conversations with n00bs.

Arcadius
27-08-03, 23:01
Great Idea, I would definitely volunteer for this.

Clothing_Option
27-08-03, 23:03
Originally posted by d3ik
In Jumpgate (other MMORPG I played) we had what was called a mentor program. When someone logged in for the first time it sent out a world message saying 'Runner Chuckles just joined faction Blah-Blah'. At that point we could type '/mentor Chuckles' and it would send a message to Chuckles saying 'Hey, user guy would like to mentor you'.

As a mentor you get a message whenever the person you are mentoring logs on or logs off. You can also share XP by being in a constant 'team'. It was pretty nice, as new people instantly had someone to talk to.

Thats the coolest idea ive ever heard about this issue.

yeah Noob mentoring is where its at in terms of player retention

enablerbr
27-08-03, 23:03
trouble is most newbies who started conversations with me. start with i need cash amount blahblah etc.. i never help begars in games. helping people with info if they ask on faction chat or any chat that i'm listerning to. i don't mind. given hand outs to lazy arse players is something else.

Dribble Joy
27-08-03, 23:09
Nice idea, but I would like it kept to a faction only announcment.
Besides keeping factions more separate and communal (Ie. the first people you meet and make friends in are from your faction) It would also prevent the whole fucking server spamming the poor n00b with messages, as opposed to just one faction.

Arcadius
27-08-03, 23:11
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Nice idea, but I would like it kept to a faction only announcment.
Besides keeping factions more separate and communal (Ie. the first people you meet and make friends in are from your faction) It would also prevent the whole fucking server spamming the poor n00b with messages, as opposed to just one faction.

So if they pick a faction with like 5 people in it lol, and those people are offline, what then? Or what if there are few people and they just don't care?

Disturbed021
Having players being able to go to newb MC5 to mentor newbs is one of the better ideas I've seen for helping get new players started.
Or have a new chat option for new player questions so Faction chat doesn't get spammed with questions and have that channel send an automated msg to everyone who has it activated when a new character starts. Good ideas!

d3ik
Originally posted by enablerbr
trouble is most newbies who started conversations with me. start with i need cash amount blahblah etc.. i never help begars in games. helping people with info if they ask on faction chat or any chat that i'm listerning to. i don't mind. given hand outs to lazy arse players is something else.

This is my pet peeve too.. I usually keep some slotted knives, colts, and uzis around. When I run into a n00b I give them 10k, the three weapons, and some medkits. I give them the basic schpeel on how to play and say "Alright, these are the sewers... see you in a week". No whining for more money, no other stuff. If they have simple questions (recycling, etc) I tell them to DM me. So basically I spend maybe 15k of my own money per n00b, if half of the n00bs I help stick around for awhile it's worth it for me.

Dribble Joy
27-08-03, 23:13
Originally posted by Arcadius
So if they pick a faction with like 5 people in it lol, and those people are offline, what then? Or what if there are few people and they just don't care?

EEEK!! who stuck a cactus up your arse today? Chill dude. Only a suggestion about keeping it more RP.

Clothing_Option
27-08-03, 23:13
IF kk ever implemented this Anouncement idea im sure they would keep it to faction for the reasons you stated

But if it were world wide you could recruit pple to join your faction/clan and pay the 300k to switch the person to your faction.
which would make things rather cut throat :)

Arcadius
27-08-03, 23:16
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
EEEK!! who stuck a cactus up your arse today? Chill dude. Only a suggestion about keeping it more RP.

:confused:

Dribble Joy
27-08-03, 23:20
J00 r t3h 00b4r l33t 5<4r1 m4|\|

Birkoff
27-08-03, 23:23
Great idea.... Game desperatly needs more runners.... How about open the MC5 GR up as well? But make n e 1 in n00b MC5 act like they have a LE in and players over a certain lvl cant hurt mobs or something?

Dribble Joy
27-08-03, 23:25
Wouldn't that kinda defeat the point of mc5?
I agree with your idea... to a degree, but there are LE exploits and ganking could take place - defeating mc5's purpose.

Birkoff
27-08-03, 23:29
No, people dont phisically have a LE jsut make it so in n00b MC5 damage can't be delt pvp wise.

I think that the main downside to MC5 is atm that people dnno what to do. If your idea was implemented on its own people would jsut dm new players "GR out ill meet u in xx" (xx being where there apt will be.

If people are allowed in mc5 then it will probaly get used if they make a few changed that have been said before (better spawn etc)

Dribble Joy
27-08-03, 23:31
If a no-dmg to anyone could be engineered, then yes.
MC5 needs a makeover/complete and utter overhaul anyway.

leethasbro
27-08-03, 23:33
Originally posted by Clothing_Option
IF kk ever implemented this Anouncement idea im sure they would keep it to faction for the reasons you stated

But if it were world wide you could recruit pple to join your faction/clan and pay the 300k to switch the person to your faction.
which would make things rather cut throat :)

I really love all the ideas in this thread. I think maybe you were talking about this cut-throat atmosphere as a bad thing, but I think maybe it would be kinda cool to have. Might be a step in the right direction to make factions worth a damn.

leethasbro
27-08-03, 23:40
Not spam, forgot to rate. :angel:

Birkoff
27-08-03, 23:41
THey wouldn't have to pay 300k to fraction change.. jsut explain th gam for half hour and get them to rerroll again then u got a extra 300k for there them to lvl on :)

MC5 needs a overhaul yes.. some thing big has to change.... MC5 probvably puts more people off than help.

Clothing_Option
27-08-03, 23:54
Originally posted by Birkoff
THey wouldn't have to pay 300k to fraction change.. jsut explain th gam for half hour and get them to rerroll again then u got a extra 300k for there them to lvl on :)

Good idea!! have them rerole factions within a few hours or days of playing game and give them the 300k

Arcadius
28-08-03, 00:04
The mentor idea is really great. Can someone please make a poll on it? I have a feeling it will get alot of yes votes and perhaps KK will see it and listen. I would make the poll, but I don't want to be accused of spamming. :(

d3ik
28-08-03, 00:25
Poll posted... *Mods* if possible could you merge this thread with the poll? Seems pointless to have two threads on the same topic.

neophotographer
28-08-03, 00:38
I would think that there are enough players willing to devote an hour or two a week to log in as a special noob advisor in mc5.

Just a few. :) I actually spend more than an hour of my time helping newbs. In fact if they're brand new to the game usually I'll give them tons of shit that took me a long time to get by myself. :)

Stacey

IronMonkey
28-08-03, 01:19
personally newbie mc5 should not exist. There should a straight corridor bsp that controls the flow of the newbie player forcing them to speak to every npc explainign etc etc the way to bypass would be to hit esc everytime an npc is forced to speak with you. For veterants it would be annoying but for newbies it would be a godsend. For instance Section 1 oh corridor A is the faction explantion area. Section 2 of corridor A is the skills explanation area. Insert 4 path fork in road which is class specific, and the end of the path leads all to same point. Inside this path there would be npcs would automatically teach u about your individual class. Afet that u have the option of going into the tradeskill or combat hall way. Where you level your charcter up and make a bit of money thanks to npc vendors who give u either tradeskill missiosn that hand u the item to be bped or contructed or recycled etc hacked etc. Or the combat side that gives you missions somewhat like citycom but spiced up a bit for the roleplay factor.

This type of progression is what would be best for newbies, wihtout the use of the 'guide' program.

The problem is does KK have the funds to do somthing like this.

So in the end the guide program would probablky be the easiest and best solution.

BTW u dont have to complete areas, if u so choose u could esc out of all npc chat and just run through it and gr to neocron.

thats my 20 cents

Rai Wong
28-08-03, 09:07
but...how do we tell if....a newbie is an just an experience player creating a new character, or a true newbie...

neophotographer
28-08-03, 09:10
Originally posted by Rai Wong
but...how do we tell if....a newbie is an just an experience player creating a new character, or a true newbie...

well, usually you can tell by how much experience a person has. :) Some people fake it, but if they're desperate enough to fake not knowing anything they truly need help.

Stacey

Cass
28-08-03, 09:56
Do whatever you want, just allow me to mute it. :D