PDA

View Full Version : LOL! the BBC = n00bs

icarium
27-08-03, 18:08
check this news story dated today:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3182699.stm

you will be shocked and amzaed!! 1mb adsl!! wtf?

your phone line would melt!!! :p

hinch
27-08-03, 18:11
as strange as it may seem that is a correct article 1mb home adsl hasnt been available on the 50:1 contention ratio yet over here.

only available on business subscriptions at £120 a month on a 20:1 ratio bt promised 50:1 1mb for autum trials this year and its a story that bt actualy did what they said for once

Nasher
27-08-03, 18:13
I started laughing when I saw "BT offers faster broadband" :P

Most of the country cant even get broadband yet.

icarium
27-08-03, 18:17
Originally posted by hinch
as strange as it may seem that is a correct article 1mb home adsl hasnt been available on the 50:1 contention ratio yet over here.

only available on business subscriptions at £120 a month on a 20:1 ratio bt promised 50:1 1mb for autum trials this year and its a story that bt actualy did what they said for once

really? i have had 50:1 1mb adsl for about a month and a half :confused: costs me about £40 a month (slightly less)

EDIT: link to ISP:

http://www.getadsl.co.uk/dslXtra_info.htm

hinch
27-08-03, 18:36
what your on isnt the thing bt have just released its a capped download amount a little trick nildram came up with and is only available at certain exchanges when the LL has been unbundled

djskum
27-08-03, 18:42
Originally posted by Nasher
I started laughing when I saw "BT offers faster broadband" :P

Most of the country cant even get broadband yet.

Especialy when our euro cousins get obscene bandwidth... Makes me wonder why BT hasn't been burn't to the ground yet for monopolising the telecoms market for so many years, and as a result holding us back! I expect government/offtell pay-offs might have something to do with it... Anyone remember the sliding deadlines that offtel imposed on BT for allowing other providers to use there infrastructure...

DjSKum

Frotto
27-08-03, 19:22
I seem to be across the pond from you people, but i get 2 mb/sec and another company just started offering 3mb/sec. But then these are cable speeds...

icarium
27-08-03, 19:32
what your on isnt the thing bt have just released its a capped download amount a little trick nildram came up with and is only available at certain exchanges when the LL has been unbundled

hmm surely thats just semantics, 1mb dload speeds is 1mb dload speeds, however you phrase it?

hinch
27-08-03, 19:35
to us yes to oftel and the "industry" semantics has definate meaning and legal battles can often be won or started based on semantics in industry

Lathuc
27-08-03, 19:36
eehh we have had 1.5mbs adsl here in iceland since it started or almost it was more like 4 months later but hey :D

icarium
27-08-03, 19:40
to us yes to oftel and the "industry" semantics has definate meaning and legal battles can often be won or started based on semantics in industry

true, but at the end of the day have i or have i not had a service namely "1mb adsl" for a month and a half? and i know they have offered the service for months longer than i have had it. its still adsl and its still 1mb (slightly less but i am borderline distance from exchange :p )

anyway who cares? BT are wankers, shall we agree on that?

Scikar
27-08-03, 19:43
I cannot and will never be able to have broadband here. BT tell me that even when they upgrade my exchange they won't enable it for my village. Also the trigger point for my exchange, which we were 3/4 of the way to, has been removed and there is now no trigger point.

Vampire222
27-08-03, 19:46
thats megabit isnt it. my cables faster by far

Dribble Joy
27-08-03, 23:36
Remember that BT was prevented from upgrading many parts of it's systems, in oder for other competion to get into the market, little did they realise is that these new companies will be using the those very systems, dumb arses :p

Is this correct? I can't remember....

50:1 1Mb? bleh, get cable 1Mb, much better ratio.

Birkoff
27-08-03, 23:39
BT has offered a 2meg connection to businesses for years...

Plus you can get 1/2 meg lines on calbe anyway with more coverage

icarium
27-08-03, 23:43
yes, i live in a small village in the country, the day they run cable to my house is the day satan will be making use of that heated icescraper mrs satan bought him for xmas

Vampire222
27-08-03, 23:53
ever thought about satelite?

enablerbr
27-08-03, 23:55
well BT do offer a dsl sat service yet the rate is sh!te.

i'll stick with my 2.2mbit adsl datastream.

icarium
28-08-03, 00:01
Originally posted by Vampire222
ever thought about satelite?

downloads are ok, uploads are thru 56k phone, latency is fucked so its no good for games and it costs a fucking FORTUNE :)

besides i have 1mb adsl wtf i want satellite for :p

Genty
28-08-03, 00:21
bleh, I have wanted Broadband for years and yet still it has not arrived, 56k till i die at this rate. (which won't be long with the frustration you get with one)