PDA

View Full Version : this just about sums NC up for anyone thinking of joining

hinch
27-08-03, 18:07
http://forums.barrysworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=73199

quite shocked after reading that tbh everysingle person that has tried out the game since the free trial has quit within about 3 to 4 days

alot of it has to be down to them not having much patience but i find it odd

in his last post he states

*Not enough there really.*

which i find shocking as he`s already said getting lost in the huge city :confused: at this rate though something really really needs to be done to keep n00bs happy

perhaps a similar mc5 type idea that takes up the whole zone but has at least 1 of every single mob and npc type in there so everyone is hit with 100% content from day one. :)

Original monk
27-08-03, 18:10
indeed, the improvement of mc5 noobarea has been proposed millions of times on the forum, i hope it changes: until then : we loose about 100 noobs a day.

Amano
27-08-03, 18:12
Have u ever seen any advertising for this game ?

I know its no Ultima, but still that game was renound everywhere and we really need something like that.

u will pretty much get ex fps players playing this game, so why nothing on fps web sites ?

im to confused to even suggest anything worth while :(

KimmyG
27-08-03, 18:16
Summed UP neocron that summed up a nib mother fucker.

Day 1 bowed to a his hoe. 1st sign of a little bitch.

Day 2 Spent 2 secs figurout how to patch. One click on patch center would have save a lot of time.

Day 3 this showed he had 0 interest in games. I got lost in UO,shadow bane and neocron on my 1st trys big worlds easy to get lost.

Nidhogg
27-08-03, 18:18
If you read between the lines of that thread you'll see:

1) Someone who is not at all suited to a MMORPG (not just Neocron)

2) A description of firefights, cities and underground trains that actually sounds pretty good. If I was looking for a new MMORPG I'd be tempted after reading that thread.

3) No problems with MC5 or patch 159/160 issues

Honestly, all I read from that was the guy wasn't really up for investing his time.

N

/edit - what's wrong with getting lost in a huge city? o_O If I didn't get lost I'd be distinctly unimpressed.

juvestar15
27-08-03, 18:21
I'm no NC fanboi, but that guy is a fucken tool.

LTA
27-08-03, 18:22
but after 3 days of play he should be deeply immersed.... getting into mmorpg, not getting bored etc...

The "Not willing to invest time" quote will only work so long... but when fileplanet had thousands of dls..... it cant be all of them that aren't mmorpgers or time investers etc

juvestar15
27-08-03, 18:24
I was deeply immersed after 30 minutes.
That was before mc5. I think we should get rid of it :D

GT_Rince
27-08-03, 18:26
When I first started playing NC, I spent 2 weeks wandering around inside - to a noob who doesn't know where he is going, it is huge.

Then I found out there was an outside - this just piqued my interest even more - getting PK / killed just added to the excitement for me - not knowing who was around the next corner.

Once I got out into the wastes, I must have spent 5 weeks out there - just wandering around killing stuff.

Even today, I manage to get lost in PP and OZ... And as for seeing new things - still happening. I saw a 50/50 * Spider out a zone or 2 past Jeriko a few days ago. I have never seen one of those before :D

It is the size of NC and the fact there are things to see, even after a long time, that keep me coming back. That and the lvling, hunting, fights, battles, friends, etc... :)

hinch
27-08-03, 18:27
there are fair points if you say yeah not interested but if you look at the guys profile he`s a deep in daoc player high lvl so clealry commited to rpg`s.

hell this is the first real rpg ive played on a computer and i ended up staying .

yes some are valid boring gits not willing to give things a chance and yes some say
but out of say 100 people attempting it i bet at least 60 leave through just bordem yes they try it and give it a few days but they rapidly find out that

1) mc5 sucks
2) sewers are boring after your 20th mission
3) aggies are boring after your 20th mission
4) yet i cant go the fuck outside cos when you turned the outside mobs up you turned them up too fucking far!!

Clothing_Option
27-08-03, 18:28
I agree with you all
I know i have posted on these forums before about lack of new players and not just alts.
THe game needs to be promoted more it does have alot to offer in terms of entertainment.
The down side of the game is that it takes so long to be able to do anything remotley cool in the game. And its poorly documented in terms of how to play the game when you buy the cds. SO i could definatly see how noobs to the game would become frustrated.
It would be interesting if they would tell us what the churn rate was for this game

HellHound
27-08-03, 18:31
'Anyway, I think Twillight Guardian cant enter the city anymore so most of the PKers wont bother you till you leave Neocron and enter the outzone/industrial zone/wastelands.'

Aha. Ahahaha. BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

:lol:

Archeus
27-08-03, 18:34
3 days? 3 days! :lol:

I didn't even know the wastelands existed until about 3 weeks. Even then I thought OZ was the outside of the city (which I found in the second week).

Of all the newbies I've helped out recently, only one quit before his trial ran out. Why? He spent a couple of days trying to get the patch thing to work (and it isn't easy if you have never done it before), and also his machine crashed on every single zone we went through (he also had to be talked through leaving MC5).

Level 1 sewers prehaps. The sewer systems themselves are huge! You could get lost for days in the lower levels they are that big. Some nice scenery that far down too.

joran420
27-08-03, 18:43
heh i think i got lost in the bottom sewers for about 8 hours in teh begining

hinch
27-08-03, 18:44
what people need is when they walk outta mc5 the first thing they see if like another 50 or so n00bs running around chasing thingsto kill not the odd npc and perhaps 1 other runner stood around there stabbing a thing that doesnt move

Brammers
27-08-03, 18:48
He spent at most 1 to 1 1/2 days playing it.... That's if he did, judging from the lack on content in his posts.

When I started, I got lost plenty of times, now I even get lost getting around Outzone still! (And I've been playing for...8 months now!)

For an experience player MC5 has no use, for a complete newbie...Erm I don't know, because I'm not a newbie.

=Chojin=
27-08-03, 18:57
Originally posted by Nidhogg
what's wrong with getting lost in a huge city? o_O If I didn't get lost I'd be distinctly unimpressed.

damm right i remember when i 1st played neocron i think it was the last beta..... i got realy realy lost and just thought WOW this rox :) also i watched a group take on a copbot :) that was funny....i stole the weapons that dropped hehehe and sold them :)

Ch0

Mantus
27-08-03, 19:05
"Uninstalled game and cancelled my subscription.

Why? Well it's not very interesting. Not enough there really.
And I can't be arsed to play it. I got better things to do."

Hmm...well i know what the problem here is....

He forgot to take out his DUMB ASS chip...

Tazo
27-08-03, 19:07
http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif

Archeus
27-08-03, 19:14
Originally posted by Tazo

If that is directed at mantus, he is in fact using "it's" correctly.

Muppet.

Tregard
27-08-03, 19:16
Originally posted by GT_Rince
When I first started playing NC, I spent 2 weeks wandering around inside - to a noob who doesn't know where he is going, it is huge.

Then I found out there was an outside - this just piqued my interest even more - getting PK / killed just added to the excitement for me - not knowing who was around the next corner.

Once I got out into the wastes, I must have spent 5 weeks out there - just wandering around killing stuff.

Even today, I manage to get lost in PP and OZ... And as for seeing new things - still happening. I saw a 50/50 * Spider out a zone or 2 past Jeriko a few days ago. I have never seen one of those before :D

It is the size of NC and the fact there are things to see, even after a long time, that keep me coming back. That and the lvling, hunting, fights, battles, friends, etc... :)

I've been playing since Dec. and it was only about 1 to 1 1/2 months ago that I first saw the worm with the wierd name out in the desert. I was like "WTF???" :lol:

VetteroX
27-08-03, 19:16
I was hooked on NC in 30 mins. I think is started with beta 4 sept 1.... day i got back tocollege from summer break. i remeber my freind making me try it as soon as I we got there. He had been playing for a week. he give me like 5k (he was new and poor too, lol) and a decent knife, and I was off. I was intreaged from the start by all the skills (what will all these do, how can I make my char great?) and NC was a huge place to explore. I remeber going to outzone for the first time, and the huge doors opeing up, and hearing the wind whistle and seeing the wastelands. Totaly hookd from there. I agree with Nid, I think this guys just not into mmorg's, or hes a fool.

Breschau
27-08-03, 19:18
Originally posted by Archeus
Level 1 sewers prehaps. The sewer systems themselves are huge! You could get lost for days in the lower levels they are that big. Some nice scenery that far down too.

Main Sewers maybe (level 6).

Level 2-5 aren't any bigger or more complex than level 1. Takes a little while (esp if you're a newbie without folks assisting) before you're tough enough to brave the main sewers (aggies, flamer mutants etc down there).

Someone genuinely new to the game will have to spend a fair bit of time in the level 1 (maybe 2, though I've always found level 1 was actually better for levelling) sewers before they're tough enough to venture elsewhere (eg, if you're unaccustomed to the game, you'll likely want at least 20 str or a deflector and heal spell before touching even just the mutant troopers in level 3 - that's a lot of small sewer rats, even if you're a tank).

Dru Blood
27-08-03, 19:29
haha what a complete and utter wanker, that guy obviously didnt think he was playing a mmorpg and thought he was playing yet another duke nukem "yawn" FPS

come on face it FPS are dead, the way forward is what neocron has already started. i know lots of ppl now who have ditched pure fps and moved towards neocron, this guy has no idea about games and his opinion means exactly .... jack.

man it hate critics, its like music magazines that insult artsists and for a fact they havent even done the slightest bit of research.

long live NC bollox to barrysworld n00bs aswell, bunch of half life config hacking kiddies who cant get better, just cheat.

Arcadius
27-08-03, 19:33
Someone needs to write "what a mmorpg is like" FAQ or something. That guy sounds like he doesn't understand what a mmorpg is like.

enablerbr
27-08-03, 22:28
surely it's fun getting lost. it means you have to explore your world to get to know it better. if you didn't get lost it would mean there is nothing to grab your interest.

i enjoyed my 1st week of beta. i'd read all the fan sites etc.. on it. then when i hit it i couldn't wait go see what was around me. it was a lot later on that i started on the power lvling tread mil. hell even my 1st steps in the wastelands were a frill.

even the 1st time i got PK'd by an unknown monk in OZ while shopping. that made me remove LE chip from gogo and dump it outside biotech HQ. though later i found out i could have sold it to YO's.:D

Alex Mars
27-08-03, 22:39
come on face it FPS are dead, the way forward is what neocron has already started. i know lots of ppl now who have ditched pure fps and moved towards neocron, this guy has no idea about games and his opinion means exactly .... jack.

That would be nice if it was true, but it isn't.

FPS games are still going strong and unfortunately Neocron has fewer players online than most any single FPS game out there (not to mention fewer than any other MMOG on the market). At this very moment that I am posting there are twice as many people playing Delta Force Black Hawk Down online as there are playing Neocron, just as one example.

I enjoy NC a lot, but to claim that it is setting any industry standards or is some sort of industry leader is to steer clear of the facts by a wide margin.

That said, it is true that I have seen very few game reviews that were so obviously written by someone who is not qualified to do so. Yes, NC has the absolute worst new player path of any MMOG online currently, but it is still managable.

Cryotchekk
27-08-03, 23:08
i dont know where your all flaming this dude, its his opinion. guh.

anyways i tried to make a account on that forum but i cant for some reason. i amde name and got a email saying i had registered but when i try to log in it says invalid alias.

icarium
27-08-03, 23:56
something is seriously wrong with a game that has nearly 14k trial downloads from fileplanet but a server population of about 1000 TOTAL. basically it needs to be more accesable to newbs. an OFFICIAL help channel would be useful populated by KK employees. as tbh the help channel is useless i have it muted always and i bet you i am not in a minority there. with a decent n00b area and some coherent help for n00bs, we might be able to get the server populations up

THEN we can all start moaning about how the servers cant cope and need an upgrade, i'd love to be able to complain that there were too many n00bs but there aint :(

enablerbr
27-08-03, 23:59
well there is too many N00Bs just not many newbies.:D

Alex Mars
28-08-03, 01:29
something is seriously wrong with a game that has nearly 14k trial downloads from fileplanet

Before I bothered to d/l the trial I tried out the offline demo first. There were hundreds of people waiting in line for it on every free server on the list. To bad it crashed every time when I got to the room with the equipment in it.

I decided to go ahead and d/l the trial, but if the demo crashed on lots of other people I'd bet they didn't bother with the trial.

On another note, according to "common wisdom" of the gaming industry, normally 50 demo downloads = 1 game sold.

Dribble Joy
28-08-03, 01:44
Originally posted by Tazo

Well Bob got it wrong, "It's" is used to abbrieviate "it is", OR to denote the belonging to of an item(s) to another. Hense "The cat hurt it's feet" is correct, as it's is used to link the cat with the feet, to which they belong.

I think.

Nidhogg
28-08-03, 01:52
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Well Bob got it wrong, "It's" is used to abbrieviate "it is", OR to denote the belonging to of an item(s) to another. Hense "The cat hurt it's feet" is correct, as it's is used to link the cat with the feet, to which they belong.

I think. Sorry, but the apostrophe is there to denote missing letters (i.e. "it is", "it has" and nothing else, btw). "its" (without an apostrophe) is used to denote possession. You have to know these things if you want to become a mod (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73378). :p

N

Dribble Joy
28-08-03, 02:00
So "DJ's feet are hurting" is wrong?

Skinman
28-08-03, 02:03
Actually I think this thread is pointless (tho this NC thread does have some valid publishing and newbie issues).. not because of this fools review, but from viewing the review, I noticed two things..

1) Not a single person has replied to him in the three days of the posts life. And

2) His 'review' was closed after his last post..

My guess would be that a mod on the forum give it a chance to be a good thread, then gave up on day three, borrowing Nidds mighty hammer and smiting the thread while thinking "Troll"...

/edit
soz just noticed this DJ .. 'DJ's feet are hurting' is wrong...
'DJ's feet that are hurting' would be correct if you want to use the apostrophe :)

Helen Angilley
28-08-03, 02:07
Originally posted by Skinman
1) Not a single person has replied to him in the three days of the posts life. And

2) His 'review' was closed after his last post..

My guess would be that a mod on the forum give it a chance to be a good thread, then gave up on day three, borrowing Nidds mighty hammer and smiting the thread while thinking "Troll"...

Er, the guy who wrote that post is also the Moderator.

enablerbr
28-08-03, 02:08
Originally posted by Helen Angilley

that explains why he's a moron.:D

Skinman
28-08-03, 02:11
Originally posted by Helen Angilley

Lordy.. lunatics running the asylum etc.. ;p

Nidhogg
28-08-03, 02:15
Originally posted by enablerbr
that explains why he's a moron.:D I do hope no sleight was intended there. ;p

N

P.S. Dribble Joy, "DJ's feet are hurting" is correct. The rule I mentioned only applies to "it" and its possession (do you see what I did there? ;) )

Skinman
28-08-03, 02:19
Nidd appears to have a new weapon... the mighty 'Grammar Hammer'.. we're all doomed now...

/edit for spelling.. looks like I'm still doomed :(

enablerbr
28-08-03, 02:22
it's ok. i think nid's an american so he won't be using it for spelling.

Scikar
28-08-03, 02:27
Originally posted by Skinman
Nidd appears to have a new weapon... the mighty 'Grammer Hammer'.. we're all doomed now...

Grammar.

EDIT: And I think he's from the Manchester in England. :)

Marx
28-08-03, 02:35
Originally posted by juvestar15
I'm no NC fanboi, but that guy is a fucken tool.

agreed.

enablerbr
28-08-03, 02:37
Originally posted by Scikar

EDIT: And I think he's from the Manchester in England. :)

OMG a northen monkey with a hammer.

/me rallys the cockney troops.

wolfwood
28-08-03, 02:40
that guy is just a loser, honestly it isnt that hard to find your way around neocron. First time i played i started a spy and i found my way around easily, he wasnt meant for any type of mmorpg. If anyone believes that bs then they shouldnt have a neocron account.

Oath
28-08-03, 03:13
Originally posted by hinch

1) mc5 sucks
3) aggies are boring after your 20th mission
4) yet i cant go the fuck outside cos when you turned the outside mobs up you turned them up too fucking far!!

I agree with points 1-3, but you gotta be selective with the mobs you face as a low level, howvere no-one tells the noobs that.

Mc5 was impressive for 5 mins, til you realise you get shit FPS, the mobs are sparse, the level jump is a little extreme fom lvl 1-5 to lvl 15 for a noob, thats not gonna happen.

granted ive playewd since retail so i know what Genrepsa re and how to use em, who tells the noobs?

we need more new people to keep neocron alive, ive said it a million times, i dont mind waiting for Doy, theres no point in havng more content (aka bugs) if no one new comes to play, but then of course you risk losing more of your veteran players, but they (and i) should know better.

Oh and ROFL @ nids gramma hamma, go on nid nail me you know you wanna. if i said id go kill a goats kid (gettit) wouldnt you hate me loads and loads. of the time if not id do it all over and over again. and i hate my brothers ugly girlfriend. Grammer hammer = pwned.

Still bitchin mofo's,

Oath.

Smugly
28-08-03, 07:21
Just because he doesn't like Neocron doesn't mean he's not cut out to play MMORPG's. Remember that even within MMORPG's there's a great deal of style and variation. To be honest, outside of the generic, "do mission, get cash, do next mission, by next upgrade" cycle prescent in most MMORPG's, there isn't a great deal you can actually do, particularily at low levels of the game.

As for PVP, well someone once said that if you're not Uber your a target which frankly I agree with. And information for Neocron is fairly sparse to come by. Sure there's the odd guide about but the manual is shit and there's nothing even approaching the level of Allakazam's Magical Realm for EQ, DAoC and AO, or Ragnamart for Ragnarok Online.

Maybe he just didn't like the game? I stopped playing Anarchy Online after ten days because I hated it that quickly. If I talked to the 8000 people who play that game daily, I'm sure most of them would give me the same response several people on this thread have given to this guy.

Rai Wong
28-08-03, 08:47
Neocron is a very unwelcoming experience to a newbie, but not because it doesn't guide newbies. It is because there are hardly other newbies around. When you are the only newbie in the world it is very very boring, its like playing a single player game without a story.

I mean newbies exist but the newbies you meet are likely to be ones creating a new alt, and immedietely they know everything about the game making the newbie feel inferior and boring.

MC5 is not a bad place at all, when I was newbie I spent several days playing with my other hong kong rl friend, and we had lots of fun, but if you play mc5 alone it is a mighty shit place. MMORPG is only fun when you can social.

If it was like anarchy-online where there was like 20 people in the newbie area and you can easily find team and companionship i'd think mc5 would be much more fun. I do believe that developers put MC5 in to attempt to function like AO's newbie area did.

Anarchy Online had a small boring newbie area with grass and mobs to shoot, but its sytem allows people to social and form teams easily. For example you'd need to sit to regain health and stuff and use med kits so it gives time for them to talk to each other and have fun, and there is even a nice area near it where people can sit and rest.

This is one of the reason why Neocron feels unaccesible it needs to improve social functions.

So start the newbies in his apartment so he can immedietely meet people downstairs and not get bored, afterall we will never get like 20+ people in mc5 anyway.

I also think neocron needs a way to stop in between combat so people can chat more and of course promotion is one thing neocron really need afterall we need way more yankies lol they have the money ^^

Dru Blood
28-08-03, 10:00
Originally posted by enablerbr
OMG a northen monkey with a hammer.

/me rallys the cockney troops.

wheeee another manc,, nice 1

shend
28-08-03, 10:05
hoo neets a grammer hamer enyweey?
fuk tat sjit:lol:

Alex Mars
28-08-03, 10:13
Just because he doesn't like Neocron doesn't mean he's not cut out to play MMORPG's. Remember that even within MMORPG's there's a great deal of style and variation

That is not really true in any sense of the word. Most of his comments indicated that he was looking for excuses to bash NC.

This took over 5 hours, by the time I got home from work it had about 2 hours to go.

He'd have the same thing to say if downloaded about any MMOG trial or game demo.

Ran it for the first time and waited 30 mins for updates to download.

Once again this is something that would happen in any MMOG when you log on for the first time.

Buzzed around a bit, saw a firefight. Died twice fighting a combot, and then got lost in the huge cities. Used the subway system to get even more lost, and I've now got no money.

This translates as: "I wandered around sightseeing, picked a fight with things that I have no chance against, and in general made no effort to accomplish new character goals such as the levelling up in the sewers or doing missions so I can learn my way around the city."

Basically his posts touched on 4 points, and I quoted 3 of them above. 2 of them could be said about any other MMOG you downloaded for a free trial, the third indicated that he made no attempt to actually play the game, and the last was simply to say he gave up. This was a hatchet job.

I have no time for pathetic loser fanbois who give religious devotion to video games, but I also have no tolerance for people who use essentially dishonest methods to slam a game. The review was written by a moron that wanted to look cool by slamming the game.

The only single real issue he raised was how confusing the city is to newcomers, other than that he said nothing concrete about the game.

Marx
28-08-03, 10:16
personally, I cordially invite that guy to fuck himself.

Hell, he can't play a MMO for shit because he's probably a quake addict, so he pops bad press.

Fuck him.

:mad:

shend
28-08-03, 11:22
Originally posted by Alex Mars

The only single real issue he raised was how confusing the city is to newcomers,

and thats the charming part of it. u want a city with avenues and blocks? man that would be boring
as a noob i was so lost it became embarrasing. but using F9 will help u along just fine

and btw, if he has to download 5 hours, goes to work, comes home and still has 2 hours to go it means he has a shitty job of 3 hours transport included, way to go u lazy fuck, im surprised he even found a wife that can keep up with his no brain attitude

Lucjan
28-08-03, 14:14
Rai Wong already mentioned in his posts some very critical points about NC.

On top of that, Neocron is a powergamer's place. NC has a very steep learning curve. A player who is new to game has to learn very much on his own. This actually isn't a bad thing by itself as it is very rewarding, but it requires effort. And many players are not willing to do it. Put this together with the lack of other real newbies and you have a good reason why not bother with NC for many players. We should not forget that many of the other MMORGs are way easier to a new player then NC is.

But lets assume the new player really wants to play NC and gives the game a chance. He learned the basic things he need to know. Then he have to realize, that he will have a very hard time to take part in the game or compete with others in PvP without spending all his time on NC. Just think about the rare items concept. Rares are pretty much a requirement at higher levels. But for a new player they are almost unreachable in their current state.

Then we have all the non working or not properly working things in the game. From a newbie's point of view, lets have a look at the NavRay. If youre not inside the city of Neocron (and even here you often have the same problem), you get an arror showing you where to go. And then it happens that you stand in front of a wall asking yourself "WTF? There is a wall. Where is my appartment?". Very frustrating.

I don't understand why KK isn't using the community to help a little bit with some problems. NC lacks information, we all know this. But the amount of players who are willing to help even without being asked is very huge. I noticed that while creating another alt on Pluto recently. Sometimes I recieved more tips then one could handle ;-) Yes, I got PKed twice, but I was on hostile territory marking GRs...and the first PK asked me if I have enough cash to retrieve my backpack giving the hint as well, not to travel alone in enemy territory.

KK, as the first step, give players access to MC5 if you dont want to rework it. Two Rhinos arent really impressing. A monk in his PA are. Just don't allow to remove LE in MC5 and the newbies might even see some nice fights...

/EDIT:
Guys, stop giving newbies the advice to take out their LE to level faster, it isnt even true and does more harm then good to real newbies.
I hope KK will change the description of the LE. It is completely outdated and wrong.

evs
28-08-03, 14:35
in all honesty - the sheriff who posted that seems to be a tosser.

anyone that closes a thread right after he's put his opinion so no-one can reply is a egotistical tit in my book.