PDA

View Full Version : Remove People List

Benjie
27-08-03, 16:42
The Predetor has already posted this idea before. (thats me btw) I think this idea got lost somewhere, but I remember talking to a lot of people who thought it was cool, and the poll did quite good aswell.

I just want to know what people think about this now. Still intrested?

ZoneVortex
27-08-03, 16:47
Nevermind, figured out what the people list is.

And I think it should stay how it is now because at a time it was lame for spies to be on it and lots of people thought that their armor should be 'stealth' and take anyone wearing's it name off the local list.....buuuutttt.......now they have the stealth device so they DO have a way to 'steath' off the people list.

Syntax-Error
27-08-03, 16:49
local area list. and i agree

enablerbr
27-08-03, 16:54
well the current local area list doesn't show if a name is hostile towards you, just who'se got a carebear in. so unless you know the name is a threat to you. it doesn't make any difference.

Benjie
27-08-03, 16:59
Actually it does. Peoples list makes hiding impossible.

GT_Rince
27-08-03, 17:01
I'll be happy if they just fix faction chat and allow us to mute that :(

enablerbr
27-08-03, 17:02
well if they remove names from local then KK should re-instate the player location again. afterall it wasn't acurate unless a runner stayed in the 1 loctaion too long.

you can mute faction chat now.

G.0.D.
27-08-03, 17:03
maybe ditch it in op zones so u can do some espionage :)

and keep it everywhere else

Lethys
27-08-03, 17:03
Originally posted by enablerbr
well if they remove names from local then KK should re-instate the player location again. afterall it wasn't acurate unless a runner stayed in the 1 loctaion too long.

Perhaps they should, and just give spies access to it. Then we can actually spy on people ;)

Arcadius
27-08-03, 19:57
Originally posted by Benjie
Actually it does. Peoples list makes hiding impossible.

I agree. It almost makes hunting down a person more exciting. No more going to pp1 and "feeling" someone's presence even if they are up atop.

;)

Q`alooaith
28-08-03, 00:14
Originally posted by Arcadius
I agree. It almost makes hunting down a person more exciting. No more going to pp1 and "feeling" someone's presence even if they are up atop.

;)

Some people use their eyes to see them..

Local list is good, lets you get a name to put into direct easyer than trying to type {M}I{T}[Boo]{U}{8}{33}{r} or some stupid shit like that..

maybe remove the local list to a popup like armor or implants, so you can only see it when in ROPOS mode, better than scrapping it, but still has the effect of making running worth a damn.

Anyway, I think the local only shows your name if the person could target you, I've seen people run out of the subway in plasa 2 and not got their names till they ran past the door... But dunno, maybe if it don't work like that it should.

Benjie
28-08-03, 00:17
What about if your local list went when you took your LE out...

enablerbr
28-08-03, 00:18
thats a possible soloution. only LE's get to see them.

Breschau
28-08-03, 00:18
Don't know what it'd be like in terms of coding or processing overhead, but how about the people list just lists those that you can currently see somewhere in your view (perhaps with a slight buffer to account for lack of peripheral vision).

Course, I have no idea how that would affect or be affected by third person perspective (something else that makes hiding a lot more difficult, as I discovered when trying to ambush a monk with my spy :()

Q`alooaith
28-08-03, 00:23
Originally posted by Breschau
Don't know what it'd be like in terms of coding or processing overhead, but how about the people list just lists those that you can currently see somewhere in your view (perhaps with a slight buffer to account for lack of peripheral vision).

Course, I have no idea how that would affect or be affected by third person perspective (something else that makes hiding a lot more difficult, as I discovered when trying to ambush a monk with my spy :()

No no no.., not in vision, but within Line of sight, vision is where you are looking, line of sight is where you can or could see if you looked that way...

OR my other idea

Where the local list is only visible when in menu mode, so usless for fighting, since you'd have to stop to check it often...
Just the same as it's now, anyone within range can be on the local, but you can't see local when running about, only when you are stopped and in menu mode. That way you can still hunt people down, but you have to stop to do it, and can't tell if you move away from them untill you stop again..

enablerbr
28-08-03, 00:28
i think cracky had a good idea with a tracker device. you tag someone with it and know where they are. you'd have to set a timer limit on it. so that after xx time it would no longer function and fall off. also that it had a range limit applied to it. so out of range no go.

Breschau
28-08-03, 00:31
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
No no no.., not in vision, but within Line of sight, vision is where you are looking, line of sight is where you can or could see if you looked that way...

any particular reason?

The difference would just be you'd be aware of those people trying to sneak up on you from behind (since if you turned around, they'd be in your line of sight).

Just for clarification: I don't mean anyone in the direction you're looking.. rather anyone in the direction you're looking that you can target just now - ie, they're visible if you took a screenshot at that moment (so if you look at a building, you'd not get the people inside the building on the list unless they strayed past a doorway or window).

Q`alooaith
28-08-03, 00:45
Originally posted by Breschau
any particular reason?

The difference would just be you'd be aware of those people trying to sneak up on you from behind (since if you turned around, they'd be in your line of sight).

Just for clarification: I don't mean anyone in the direction you're looking.. rather anyone in the direction you're looking that you can target just now - ie, they're visible if you took a screenshot at that moment (so if you look at a building, you'd not get the people inside the building on the list unless they strayed past a doorway or window).

I'm talking line of sight, as in, if you could see 360 you'd see anyone within range, but things block LOS, the reason is that as humans, your prone to looking around a lot IRL and are far more aware than any computer game can make you, people have to be sneaky and lucky to get behind somone close..

Point is, I'm aware of people near me if I catch a glimps of them, now in a computer game, darting your veiw around normaly results in slightly reduced FPS, and a slight headache with very little data gained unless it's about somthing realy big..

It'd also mean corners would be better to gank from than long thin streets, since you hide round the corner, your not in the LOS sphere untill they round it, and if it's right they might not even see you on local till they get round...

Maybe even have a delay on the list, so it updates every 6 seconds, so while you could see somone, if they where fast, you'd only know they where close after they had gone..

Shadow Dancer
28-08-03, 01:15
Only spies should have a local list.

Dribble Joy
28-08-03, 01:30
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Only spies should have a local list.

Nah, only have it if you have a locator unit, why should just being a spy be reason enough, another gadget for spys or anone with enough TC/INT to use, higher lvls, have better range and 'tag' people on the screen, even behind walls, just a red dot, with possibly a range No. by it on the top version.

Either that or make it RPOS only.

Shadow Dancer
28-08-03, 02:10
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Nah, only have it if you have a locator unit, why should just being a spy be reason enough,

That's what I meant. A spy gadget. :p