PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good Clan Leader?

Selendor
27-08-03, 15:17
Like the title says, what things do you look for in a clan leader? What are the great deeds, gambles, or gaffs, that unnamed leaders have done? Most of us have been in at least one clan, so we've all followed somebody at some point, and I'm thinking we've all had opinions about that.

Should there be one leader? Or two or more? Should leaders always react to the will of the clan members, or should they bring a clan into line with their vision?

oh and please, no clan-specific flames or insults please, I'm interested in the concept of leadership in Neocron, not dredging up bad blood ;)

Sel

ezza
27-08-03, 15:23
someone who gives you all sorts of free stuff:D

someone who is prepared to lead the clan in to battle, keep them all together, good orgaisation.

its nice if there helpful and take the time to help the clan noobs stuff like that

Frotto
27-08-03, 15:26
Originally posted by Selendor
Like the title says, what things do you look for in a clan leader?

Well they definatly have to be funny, kinda smart, no southern accents. Preferrably my height (6'1") but shorter is ok, they need to like camping and long walks... er u said clan leader didnt you. :eek: DOH!!!!! wrong site.

Frotto-

[TgR]KILLER
27-08-03, 15:29
Someone who respects ppl. and fights for his own clan.. when somebody of his clan is under attack he gotta act and act first.. and like i never dit.. leave nobody on the battle field for dead ^^

i was in 2 clans.. for a very short while tho.. i'm used to be clanleader myself.. about 1 year in unreal tournament and 4 months in nc.. and yesterday i started [TgR] again ^^ only aint gonna recruit for now :) just meh

Talra
27-08-03, 15:38
multiple leaders usually do better ^^

hinch
27-08-03, 15:41
someone who is calm and cool headed but able to make urgent decisions on the fly.
someone who is respected by the members and shows them the respect they deserve.
if someone does well congratulate them if they have bad look console them.
good organisation and communication skills on many fronts are required as are a natural ability to talk people round to your point of view.

"having lead an army of 400 into battle to see the death of 60 million troops on our side alone the sence of victory is somehow swept away at the thought of the rebuilding required now. however faith can be gained in the knowledge that it will take your enemy 3 times longer to rebuild"

the above was the opening of a speech given by me and the other FAnG command to the FAnG members at the end of the biggest battle in any online game ever.

A combined total of 10,000 players were involved on both sides with 400 of the biggest and most powerfull being ours. The scene was a slaughter and both sides were fucked over royally.

Thats in a game called planetarion a webbased space stratergy game however the ability to command 400 people and organise with our allies wasnt something the command or my self had naturally it took alot of time for us to get it right and sometimes we got it wrong. Natural leader ship is a hard thing to find most people just develop an ability a true natural leader is someone that will lead even a small group of people to victory a talent many people will never know but always aspire to know.

In the mean time take the best you can and if you can help them do so everyone benefits in the long run.

ChRoNo
27-08-03, 15:44
- to understand that nc is a game
- to know how nc can be fun
- a lot of time
- tons of patience
- tolerance
- loyal and active members
- good connections (with as many runners as possible)
- a clan website

i dont know any clanleader who features more than only a couple of these including myself :P

hinch
27-08-03, 15:53
Originally posted by ChRoNo
i dont know any clanleader who features more than only a couple of these including myself :P

any body who played an alliance leader in planetarion has all of the above and a million things more

enablerbr
27-08-03, 15:54
to have loyal members requires the clan leader to inspire them. after all nobody follows a fool into battle or should i say anyone in their right mind won't follow a fool into battle.

Selendor
27-08-03, 16:07
Interesting responses so far, thanks. So consider this situation: As a leader, one of your clanmates gets into a fight with another runner, and both parties are blaming the other. Do you

1) Open fire on the enemy immediately, without question, showing no mercy.

2) Try and understand both sides before you get involved (and risk upsetting your clanmate)

3) Shrug it off as a 'gaming' incident, of which happen all the time, and avoid/ignore the incident hoping it will sort itself out.

I've seen all 3 of these happen by the way, not limited to my own clans I've been in.

hinch
27-08-03, 16:09
no2

ofc it depends on who the other person is what faction they are what clan they are and if your truly roleplaying or not.

Scikar
27-08-03, 16:12
I'm not sure about that situation Sel, but then i'm not much of a leader either. :p

I find the big difference between a successful clan and an unsuccessful clan is decisiveness. In both MiG and ND there's one key to a leader taking you to a victory at an OP war, and that's the messages like: ALL TO MALSTROND. I'm not saying that's the only thing, but when you have a leader who can decide that everyone should be at X postion and then get them there you're halfway to winning already.

The other side to leadership is being able to keep the clan together. I'm not too sure about that though.

ChRoNo
27-08-03, 16:18
Originally posted by hinch
any body who played an alliance leader in planetarion has all of the above and a million things more

ah yes i forgot one more important point:

- modesty

:P

Rieper
27-08-03, 16:22
clan leader is someone who cares for their clan more than anything else.

but there are differing styles of clans... and since i was in two clans in NC.. one that broke up due to the leader being a psychopath, and another with as close to equality as possible, it isnt easy to say :)

Original monk
27-08-03, 16:30
Togheter with all the things stated above ya need a good name !!

names like: tony the tiger, cinderella, i-bust-youre-kneecap, i-@-ThA-L337est-LeAdA, me=supaman, gm-shagga, quasimodo, George W. Bush, roxorzMYboxorz, STFU-NOOB, traitor, me-tarzan-you-jane, funkychickendance, human-shield, kneel-to-me, Th@-Le@D3r-|n-@-BoXx, do_i_look_like_I_care, Kick-ya-in-tha-nuts, neoscrotum, cracky (:p ), littleFATpiggy and I-never-take-a-bath

are NO ideal names for a leader, a leadername have to sound heroic, trustworthy, openminded, honest, friendly (or dangerous) etc etc

examples of good names i cant give ya atm, gotta find one yourself or see if youre name isnt one of the above and you will be fine :P

(im sorry if i offended a "real" leaders name, PM me and ill remove it, no not you cracky it was a joke :p )

Lucky Sparks
27-08-03, 19:13
someone who has a hell of a lot of time to play ;)

Viruz
27-08-03, 19:20
Originally posted by Original monk
names like: tony the tiger, cinderella, i-bust-youre-kneecap, i-@-ThA-L337est-LeAdA, me=supaman, gm-shagga, quasimodo, George W. Bush, roxorzMYboxorz, STFU-NOOB, traitor, me-tarzan-you-jane, funkychickendance, human-shield, kneel-to-me, Th@-Le@D3r-|n-@-BoXx, do_i_look_like_I_care, Kick-ya-in-tha-nuts, neoscrotum, cracky (:p), littleFATpiggy and I-never-take-a-bath

are NO ideal names for a leader

LOL