PDA

View Full Version : Hacknet Project

xkorpio
27-08-03, 15:12
Well, looks that KK is working on DoY right now and somethings like mechs and hacknet would be delayed and put in lowest priority.

I think that Hacknet would be a GREAT implementation to Neocron (its a MUST in a cyberpunk game in my opinion), so I propose that everyone that has ideas about this please post it in this thread, I will try to make a web page for ONLY the HACKNET PROJECT, so we can help KK to run this feature while they keep the work right now in bugs, DoY and other stuff, I want this game running and Im very worried about post of people leaving the game and saying they are not happy with it.

Im in the mood in working FOR FREE to get this feature hit the retail game, so I want to ask something to KK guys:

- what was your general idea about Hacknet?
- what, in your opinion, is a runner able to do with it?
- is only necessary the hacktool? would be different hacktool TL?
- is something like the hacking mini-game that is for the OPs and the boxes, or something totally different? something like a "virtual area" like neofrag, where the runner has to wield "hacknet weapons programs"

Im working right now in my own idea of hacknet, but I cant post a whole new idea that means total reworking of the game, wanna help working by the base is already done (if its any)

Thx to all who contribute.

P.D: Maybe someone can do the same for mechs or whatever feature is not yet in game and want it running

Scikar
27-08-03, 16:06
I understand it was meant to be a command line interface, basically like DOS, but the idea of something like Tron sounds incredibly cool.

Syntax-Error
27-08-03, 16:16
www.darksigns.com

try that

Talios
27-08-03, 16:30
Ive heard this before but what exactly is the Hacknet?

Elric
27-08-03, 16:45
Hacknet's first impression that i had heard of was a remote hacking ability. Friends stuck in the mainsewers? Log in to hacknet and hack the doors for them from your appartment. Other ideas that i have seen involved hacking security systems or surveillance and stuff. Nothing ever sollid, but that was my impressions of it.

X452
27-08-03, 16:54
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
www.darksigns.com

try that

good game :)

a bit hard to get into and a lill complicated if your a noob to hakin but its a cool concept :D

Ransom
27-08-03, 17:43
Anyone remember that old microprose game? The hacking tool there looked similar to the ones used in neocron, but made up of several parts which offered different capabilities. Stealth cloaks to remain undetected, memory to hold programs, an avatar which made up the characters appearance and toughness and a part named essence for someone elses personality.

I would envisage a virtual world that the character was submersed in probably reflecting the 'real' world, with major areas that were controlled by each of the factions, in neocron, city admin would of course be the largest, and crahn the smallest - why use computers if you are (psi)chic? in each of these sectors there would be areas of differing security. For example the least secure areas a hacker could access the names and proffesions, perhaps locations of faction runners under rank 20, current political standings that sort of thing. To the most difficult being the CityAdmin Law Enforcer database, where a runner could change soullight to a limited degree of those wearing a law enforcer, or faction allegiance databases where a runner could change the faction of a suitable runner.

Combat would be based entirely on Intelligence (sorry tanks) damage could be either inflicted on a hitpoint total reflecting the intelligence capabilities of the user, or radically, weapons could inflict synaptic imparement- once down to 0 the character collapses unconsious in the real world, memory banks could be rifled via the defeated avatar.

I also think that hacknet could be the one place where overspeciallisation may not be rewarded, as it is reasonable for a character to enter for example biotech secure datafiles and download blueprints to the latest level 3 implant if the character had a high enough research skill. (for obvious reasons these downloaded blueprints could not be researched themselves, but it would give recipes that could be construsted the once)

The virtual worlds of neocron and DOY (and for that matter any future add on) could only be linked via an uplink (whether you had to be at the uplink or just have it clan or faction controlled would be a matter for discussion.

Of course the remote opening of doors would be useful, but it would be a small display of the potential.

My vision 8|

hinch
27-08-03, 17:47
darksigns rocks

as does the hack the matrix part in enter the matrix i spent hours in there finding every little tiny secret etc.

hack net should be something like them really think about it

your at an op youve got control of it now you need to hack it.
assault squad shouts 3 hacks all sat in the saftey of their appt or plaza or whatever

"whats the status of them hacks"

replies come back saying something like "working on it" etc

get a whole role playing kinda feel around it all really "im on level 5 now got abit of a touch backdoor here"

would be kinda amusing and would actually make hackers interesting to play i know i would definatly have a hacker then

xkorpio
28-08-03, 11:20
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
www.darksigns.com

try that

It looks a good game, I will try it, but we need a hacknet more "user friendly", if you have to make and run your own scripts, what the hell is hacking skill for?

Not everyone in the game knows about computer prog, the people want to connect the game and enjoy, dawn! even myself dont wanna come from work being all day fighting with those programs and play a game that is like Im still at work!!!

Soon I will post my own idea, but maybe a "virtual world" where you move your avatar around would be a great idea

Basically is the same idea as neofrag, but your look would change (avatar), and there will we some ICE programs that you would have to fight.

Heavyporker
28-08-03, 12:46
yeah, yeah... ideas that would integrate into HackNet are all over the forums... I would know, I wrote a shitload of amazing ideas...

I think I may just as well say "do a search for Heavyporker".. but to point you in the right direction, I guess I may as well mention " GR access protocols" ... I forget all the others.

LTA
28-08-03, 13:47
I thought it would in someway connect anti city hackers to the "Underground" and allow city hackers to attempt in uncovering them.
ie Anti City players would be allowed to make attacks on Factions, money, stock x, city admin all that sorta stuff from file deletion to full scale crimes such as bank theft, account thefts stock x disruption.
While city players would work against the anti city factions etc and attempt to put an end to it.

Also could be a way to enhance rp if used properly..... but it would help if there was a way to reduce the staticness of nc :p

Heavyporker
29-08-03, 12:09
Well... maybe we should draw up a list of what SHOULD be remote hackable, and try to stucture things from there.

-Lesse - I already showed my idea for hacking runners' personal infos...
-Faction HQ data, certainly, and only in keeping with that faction's work... success in trying to get into research data nets you one BP of whatever item data listing you tried to plug into, and only if you had a empty datacube in the processor window when you downloaded that item. (yeah, like having a floppy disk in the drive when you download a file, right?)
-just about every door that has an electric lock on it... perhaps even runners doors?! its like you have to hit it with TRUE hackers (about 150+ Hack) because of the huge encryption... and before you scream about it, a successful hack would only temporarily unlock the in door (just like any other door) , not give out the password... so that stays secure, at least.
-Vehicles... at least say, 3 times the TL of the vehicle, right, and a successful hack gives you about 10 to 15 minutes of driving privledge in the hacked vec, where then you get autoevicted from the vec.
-not just anti-city factions would be able to attack city functions (hey, why should obvious villians get all the fun?! Lets get some traitors and backstabbers in on the fun!)
- Attacking the bank lets access to StockX, so as to try to make the stock prices random,
- or to attack the bank accounts to get a chance (say, a chance to get 50k or so, but only one or two successful attacks a day permitted, otherwise EVERYONE goes bankrupt :D, would need a minimum of 130 hack),
- should be able to attack CA's runner records, either to RAISE *OR* LOWER a runners' SL by 15 or 30 points, depending on how skilled the hacker is. (before you ask whats the point of lowering SL, think about it... you get pissed at someone in the city, their SL just might be low enough to make them KOS to the copbots if they went down any further, right :D mauahahahahah!) Would need at least 150 hack, and a runner can only have his SL hacked once each NC day.
- leave the copbots alone, I think, other than that SL thing. I think they each have individual encryption, plus, they're cyborgs, meaning they got human brains, so you can't hack them from the central hub. plus, kinda unfair if CA can have its guards hacked and the others can't (well, there's the possibility of making Tech Haven's guards hackable, obivously).
- there need to be more locked doors out in the wastelands... the only serious network of locked doors are in Neocron City with the mainsewers and outzone/INDA... Tech Haven also needs to have remote hacking capability installed into the doors of its energy cores (hallelujah, I think the noobs that went fallen angels cheering at the prospect! beg some kindly hacker to open up the cores! :D ), and, seriously, I would hope DoY City has LOTs of hackable doors, and thus, remotely hackable doors.

damn, I'm running out of steam for now.... maybe more later.

spydre1070
29-08-03, 14:16
Heavyporker has the right idea. not everything should be remote hackable.. but i think it should involve a little more work then just sitting in your appartment. perhaps a tool like a "networking tool" should be needed. where someone whos there plugs it into whatever needs to be hacked (ops), then the actual hacker whos in his appartment can now search for it on the network, (this would allow people who arnt hackers to hack things that arnt on the neocron network but they shouldnt just appear in the list.) then he has to try to hack it, but in this case. all things should be harder to hack.

monsters shouldnt be remote hackable for sure.

btw. darksigns looks fun im going to try it later today.

SigmaDraconis
29-08-03, 14:21
The origional impression of hacknet i got..*beta days - doodoodoodoodoo* was that every hackable door , OP , box had an ID number...and u could remote hack anything that you knew the ID number to from an uplink.. o.0 kinda wierd and pointless but well u know.

Archeus
29-08-03, 14:28
I would of liked to have seen hacknet as this..

1. Log into a city com, run hacknet

2. Some kind of command based game to break in.

3. Once in the persons body leaves the real world and they are in hacknet.

Anyone who has read snowcrash will know the world I am talking about :D

4. After that inside the person has to fight cyber based creatures to do things. Want to find the location of a character then you have to fight monsters to get into that area of hacknet and then hack a terminal in there.

5. Likewise you can leave hacknet via a GR of your choice through the same kind of fighting.

... Weapons would be based on the hacking skill and hack tool used. Not real world (NC) weapon skills.

xkorpio
29-08-03, 14:52
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Well... maybe we should draw up a list of what SHOULD be remote hackable, and try to stucture things from there.

-Lesse - I already showed my idea for hacking runners' personal infos...
-Faction HQ data, certainly, and only in keeping with that faction's work... success in trying to get into research data nets you one BP of whatever item data listing you tried to plug into, and only if you had a empty datacube in the processor window when you downloaded that item. (yeah, like having a floppy disk in the drive when you download a file, right?)
-just about every door that has an electric lock on it... perhaps even runners doors?! its like you have to hit it with TRUE hackers (about 150+ Hack) because of the huge encryption... and before you scream about it, a successful hack would only temporarily unlock the in door (just like any other door) , not give out the password... so that stays secure, at least.
-Vehicles... at least say, 3 times the TL of the vehicle, right, and a successful hack gives you about 10 to 15 minutes of driving privledge in the hacked vec, where then you get autoevicted from the vec.
-not just anti-city factions would be able to attack city functions (hey, why should obvious villians get all the fun?! Lets get some traitors and backstabbers in on the fun!)
- Attacking the bank lets access to StockX, so as to try to make the stock prices random,
- or to attack the bank accounts to get a chance (say, a chance to get 50k or so, but only one or two successful attacks a day permitted, otherwise EVERYONE goes bankrupt :D, would need a minimum of 130 hack),
- should be able to attack CA's runner records, either to RAISE *OR* LOWER a runners' SL by 15 or 30 points, depending on how skilled the hacker is. (before you ask whats the point of lowering SL, think about it... you get pissed at someone in the city, their SL just might be low enough to make them KOS to the copbots if they went down any further, right :D mauahahahahah!) Would need at least 150 hack, and a runner can only have his SL hacked once each NC day.
- leave the copbots alone, I think, other than that SL thing. I think they each have individual encryption, plus, they're cyborgs, meaning they got human brains, so you can't hack them from the central hub. plus, kinda unfair if CA can have its guards hacked and the others can't (well, there's the possibility of making Tech Haven's guards hackable, obivously).
- there need to be more locked doors out in the wastelands... the only serious network of locked doors are in Neocron City with the mainsewers and outzone/INDA... Tech Haven also needs to have remote hacking capability installed into the doors of its energy cores (hallelujah, I think the noobs that went fallen angels cheering at the prospect! beg some kindly hacker to open up the cores! :D ), and, seriously, I would hope DoY City has LOTs of hackable doors, and thus, remotely hackable doors.

damn, I'm running out of steam for now.... maybe more later.

Awesome ideas heavypoker

xkorpio
29-08-03, 14:56
Originally posted by Archeus
I would of liked to have seen hacknet as this..

1. Log into a city com, run hacknet

2. Some kind of command based game to break in.

3. Once in the persons body leaves the real world and they are in hacknet.

Anyone who has read snowcrash will know the world I am talking about :D

4. After that inside the person has to fight cyber based creatures to do things. Want to find the location of a character then you have to fight monsters to get into that area of hacknet and then hack a terminal in there.

5. Likewise you can leave hacknet via a GR of your choice through the same kind of fighting.

... Weapons would be based on the hacking skill and hack tool used. Not real world (NC) weapon skills.

The ideas of heavypoker are the ones that fits better with hacknet "pure" concept, but as I said, not everyone in the game will love a console based game (maybe Im wrong, I will put a poll on this), I think that last idea is the one that will attract more runners into playing a hacker more than the console onel.

As said in the skill guide, Hacking and Remote Control have something to do into hacking, so lets say that in the "virtual world" you log in HACKING is the main weapon skill (like P-C or R-C etc) and REMOTE CONTROL would me something like the Tech-Combat skill, so you will need a combo of both to get better "net weapons" (programs) usable in the net-

Sleawer
29-08-03, 15:19
What about the chances to "counter-hack". A hacker is attacking an OutPost security to past throught turrets (need to hack 3 layers), and after the first layer a defending hacker enters in the virtual world to fight him (so the hacker has to worry about mobs and possible hackers in the virtual world).

Of course the combat inside should be based in the intelligence, hack skill/tool and remote control.

The penalization for dieing at the virtual world (by AI or by other hacker) could be suffering the same impairment as when you die; but no implant drop, etc...

About console and virtual world.. some things like hacking vehicles, open certain doors from your appt (doors ID's are controled by the CityCom system), or get the control of certain mob (i.e. a warbot); doesnt need to be done in a virtual world, it is a console that you need to hack manually.

However complex secutiry systems; like hacking OP security systems (turret settings), GR's (privileges), faction system (change faction)... every situation in that you are not hacking the main system, but remotely hacking, should be a virtual world.

Heavyporker
29-08-03, 15:20
whoa, xkorpio! Hack and RCL... wow... that was completely unexpected by me... but I am intrigued by the idea!...

yeah, droning hackers would have the jump on everyone in that respect, heh, heh...

might take a lot of work to get that fully fleshed out... and I have to question whenther that would be very fair...

I mean, sure, for one, there would be the frontline hackers, firmly rooted in the real world, that go to where they need to hack physically and hook in...

then there would be the ghost hackers that would live solely in the virtual world created by hacknet, just flitting around.
but if they ever decide get out into the real world, they would have just as much scope in their hacking ability as the frontliners... yeah, fair, to be sure, but let me go on.

plus what about the Monks that hold considerable hacking ability (I count myself among them, just so you know), because hacking was one of the better intellectual tradeskills that they could engage in.... It's a bit unfair that they could be COMPLETELY shut out of HackNet...

Perhaps a suite of software with many different abilities and requirements and resource costs, and pure INT hackers can have access to all the lower third of the softwares, can get up to two thirds of the entire spectrum of hacking software with say, around a maximum of 25-40 RCL, and all the rest of the hacking software spectrum - the really spectacular stuff that cuts through black ice like butter and such, are devoted to those that have 130+ hacking and 60+ RCL... I think that would be somewhat "fair" even if it wouldnt be fully realistic.

I completely agree that no tech mob should ever be remote hacked, but damn, I LOVE the idea of having someone plug in an access interface with wireless so someone can dial in and hack it... man... thats BRILLIANT. That would totally change OP warfare - you wouldnt need to bring the hackers in physically to get into the OP security protocols...

Maybe say, that each wireless access link has 6 "uses" before it burns out, and each gets a unique 6 number access code that the user that has physical access can rightclick "use" to see the number, and thus, email or dm or broadcast the number so the hacker can dial in to hack what the link is connected to...

Make each link cost about 30 to 50k, and are non-bpable, and comes from Fallen Angels only... That would make for a great deal of tension in attempts to obtain a pile of links.... yep...

through this, anything that's physically hackable in person can be remote hacked, and that's fair because someone STILL has to go there and hook up the link and give the hacker the access code to the link... and who in their right mind would use links just to hack into tech mobs?

I love the idea...

Selendor
29-08-03, 15:40
I love the idea that hacking has a physical construct, Tron style, that would be great. If a counter hacker could then come and fight in the same place would be cool too.

Don't like the idea of hacking Soulight though. You couldn't do anything about it so people would just grief with it.

You could hack:

- Player positions
- Player asset lists (ie what appartments/vehicles)
- Banks
- Doors / Closed Genereps
- OP/HQ CCTV systems - good for defender or attacker
- Specific new locations designed for hackers

And yes, you should have to go somewhere vulnerable to start the hack, and death should be a risk if you fail (not the mild tickle we get for failing a hack at present)

xkorpio
30-08-03, 10:15
This thread comes along with this other

Poll: Hacknet - Virtual world or Console based? (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73563)

DrekHead
30-08-03, 22:53
It would probably be way too much work but. In neocron most of the hacking except OP hacking is like hacking electronic locks rather than computers. For Hacknet I'd love to see Shadowrun Hacking System, This is the future no1 uses DOS or LINUX anymore. In order to use Hacknet ud need a special DataJack implant wich is basically a cord coming out of ur head with a plug at the hand that you plug into a computer alllowing you to interface with the computer. And then when your in the system your represtented by a Cyber Persona and you basically have Spell-Like programs that your run to hack ICE on computers. There would Faction and Corporate Comps to HACK but of course there'd be the random one where u just run a permutation and hack a random comp. The kind of things youd get from Hacking would Never be Creds. You'd hack information (bank account numbers(NPC), Dossiers: crap like that) and they'd appear in your inv in the form of datacubes. You'd then sell them to a NPC DATA MERCHANT, who would buy your information depending on its value.

*the text in bold is my best idea so if nothing else ..read that yeah :D

VoWZaRiCK
06-09-03, 18:08
First of all, Hacking should not become command based, not even easy ones. I'll require a learning curve and stuff that is not required in this game. We have the hackign skill that we train har enough for already and that's what we'll use.

We also won't go into another world, I think it should happen on Citycom or anything like it.
The hacking as it goes now would still be nice.

Things that should be possible for me are:
-Hack Doors anywhere
-Hack a GR so that for a period of time anyone can GR there (1 minute or something)
-Hack an OP security so Turrets are inactive for an amount of time (really short, like 1 or 2 minutes)
-Hacking GR's to find out who the last 10 or 5 peopel were that GR'ed there and at what times.)
-Hacking CC runner info (appartment location, vehicle locations and runner location, tho this should only be possible like once in 15 minutes)
-Hacking stuff (any of the above, but when they are yours (OP in your posession) so when you succesfully hack it it will be harder for enemy hackers to hack it next time (tho it should be pretty hard for yourself to do this already
those were just some Ideas that came up

Lethal Virus
06-09-03, 19:27
Ok, I'm tired of seeing all these damn threads about HackNet. Read the offical post made by Thantos, and read the last 100 threads on HackNet.

xkorpio
07-09-03, 02:24
Originally posted by Lethal Virus
Ok, I'm tired of seeing all these damn threads about HackNet. Read the offical post made by Thantos, and read the last 100 threads on HackNet.

What official post? the ones about DoY?

Ok, maybe hacknet is not here inmediately, but I want to give those guys some ideas so in the moment they plan to do something about hacknet they will have a good amount of ideas and the feeling of the community about this feature, will be more easy for them read those post and have a good view of what the community wants and how can be it achieved.

What are those 100 threads of hacknet?