PDA

View Full Version : Battle for An Nasiriyah Pt 3

Dave Kujan
26-08-03, 14:41
The men who died

On March 23, the fourth day of the Iraq war, 18 Marines died fighting to take a bridge in Nasiriyah. Nine served in a mortar squad that came under intense Iraqi bombardment.

Sgt. Michael E. Bitz, 31, of Ventura drove an amphibious assault vehicle, or track. He was wounded helping injured Marines and was killed by an Iraqi shell.

Lance Cpl. Thomas A. Blair, 24, of Broken Arrow, Okla., was part of an air-defense team. He disappeared in the fighting and was later confirmed as killed in action.

Lance Cpl. Brian R. Buesing, 20, of Cedar Key, Fla., was in the mortar squad. His grandfather served in the same squad in the Korean War and won a Silver Star.

Pfc. Tamario D. Burkett, 21, of Buffalo, N.Y., was a poet, an artist and the oldest of seven children. He was with the mortar squad.

Cpl. Kemaphoom A. Chanawongse, 22, of Waterford, Conn., a Thai immigrant, was a crew commander. He was hit by artillery fire while trying to retrieve ammunition.

Lance Cpl. Donald J. Cline Jr., 21, of Sparks, Nev., was a rifleman. He said he was going to help wounded Marines and was not seen again. He was later confirmed dead.

Lance Cpl. David K. Fribley, 26, of Fort Myers, Fla., joined the service after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. He was killed by friendly fire from an Air Force A-10 fighter.

Cpl. Jose A. Garibay, 21, of Costa Mesa, a Mexican immigrant, was part of the mortar squad. A shell destroyed a vehicle evacuating him and other wounded Marines.

Pvt. Jonathan L. Gifford, 30, of Decatur, Ill., an outdoorsman, was a member of the mortar squad.

Cpl. Jorge A. Gonzalez, 20, of El Monte wanted to become a police officer. He was with the mortar squad.

Pvt. Nolen R. Hutchings, 19, of Boiling Springs, S.C., enlisted in the Marines after high school. He was with the mortar squad.

Staff Sgt. Phillip A. Jordan, 42, of Enfield, Conn., had served 15 years in the Marines. He was with the mortar squad.

2nd Lt. Frederick E. Pokorney Jr., 31, of Tonopah, Nev., was a forward artillery observer. He died trying to call in artillery strikes on Iraqi positions.

Lance Cpl. Patrick R. Nixon, 21, of Gallatin, Tenn., came from a family whose members had served in every major conflict since World War I. He was with the mortar squad.

Sgt. Brendon C. Reiss, 23, of Casper, Wyo., was a squad leader who had recently reenlisted. He was running to get more ammunition when he was hit.

Cpl. Randal K. Rosacker, 21, of San Diego was a machine gunner who was providing cover fire after the Marines crossed the bridge. He was one of the first Americans killed.

Lance Cpl. Thomas J. Slocum, 22, of Thornton, Colo., was in the hatch of a vehicle taking wounded Marines to the rear when he was hit.

Lance Cpl. Michael J. Williams, 31, of Phoenix gave up a flooring business to join the Marines. He was with the mortar squad.

Devils Grace
26-08-03, 14:47
im sorry with the dead of ppl that were there believing in sometin

but MY OPINION (dont need to flame kuz im not) is:

this is a game that we escape from the troubles of real world.

isnt TV and newspapers enough already.

do I (not we) have to be remenber of all the disgracefull things that goes on in the world when all im trying is having fun

its just my opinion

this post made me fell unhappy just that

d3ik
26-08-03, 14:48
Yeah, we lose all of these people trying to help out these people... and now we're the 'evil occupiers' of their country. Sorry, I guess satellite TV and not having tanks in your backyard is a real oppressed status. I'm not bitter, but it is a bad situation on all ends.

[Edit] - And I also agree with Devil's Grace... I come here to get away. I hear about this all day every day and while I am very upset about the situation as a whole, this isn't the forum that I would express that feeling in.

Krll
26-08-03, 14:53
Well as soon as Nid spots these, it's hammer time anyway, since there's a rule about no war discussion (of which I have been victim in the past).

-Krll

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 14:59
yeah, and wtf posting three threads when one would have done?

just sloppy posting.

yeah, the topic's pretty emotional, but let's keep some restraint.

jernau
26-08-03, 15:46
Bush = Evil
You = Ban-Hammered

Nidhogg
26-08-03, 15:47
Closed as per part 1.

N