PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a radical new droning "mode"

RayBob
25-08-03, 23:38
I think there should be a new droning "mode" which could be optionally activated by the droner by holding down the Ctrl key (for example) as he launches his drone. In this new drone the body of the droner becomes invisible--he cannot be killed at all.

However, the droner's survival is now dependant on that drone he just launched. If the drone is destroyed then the droner drops dead. He will have to GR back to his apt and suffer all the death penalties that everyone else suffers.

My droner often runs across an enemy that I would like to fight. Unfortunately, it is not easy for a droner to just jump into a one-on-one fight. I have to go and find someplace to hide and then fly the drone back to where I saw the enemy and he is likely to be gone by then.

With this new mode droners can have more fun engaging in quick duels. This forces the enemy to fight my drone and not my helpless body whch is how it should be.

Ray

Arcadius
25-08-03, 23:40
omg, that is sooooooooooooooo cool.

Awesome idea.

Syntax-Error
25-08-03, 23:44
Give me one reason it should be deleted?

[ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ]

Nice idea. ill go for that.

Psyco Groupie
25-08-03, 23:50
An apu can kill your drones faster than you can say select a genrep location .. stealthing whilst droning for a limited time or atleast local list stealth would be more useful

RayBob
26-08-03, 00:01
Well, yea.....for this to be viable, the Nemesis needs to get some sort of energy resitance to stand a chance against APUs and they have to do something about the PSI damage (or whatever it is) from a PPUs Holy P.

Arcadius
26-08-03, 00:05
I'm pretty sure HP does energy damage aswell.

Could be wrong though.

Tycho C
26-08-03, 01:14
i like the idea, but then theres health diff, and they shouldnt be able to drop the drone, or at least if they do, face harsh penalties.

But yeah, a little tweeking, cool.

Skinman
26-08-03, 01:20
Sounds good, tho maybe while in this mode, the drone takes on the resist setup of the droner? Would mean that the quick PvP effectiveness of the drone will increase with your character...

Tho this also leaves open OP war exploits in that theres a high level drone floating about and the droner is un-killable (unless you take out the drone, a problem if your APU's not in the area).. maybe put a 5 min timer on it before the drone reverts to a normal drone and you become visible/killable again?

Scikar
26-08-03, 01:52
I kind of like this idea. On the one hand, RayBob makes a very valid point that droners can't just fight someone. On the other hand, a drone beats anyone except an apu or a ppu in a fight. A drone can easily rape a tank, and spies and PEs only live because they can cloak, while Ppus can't be killed by droners, and apus kill the drones very quickly. Though apus can also be taken out by drones quite rapidly, so I think that's not too bad.

There are a couple of problems though:

1) There are so many drone launch bugs. What if you got bugged and became invisible but the drone didn't launch? It would be an unlimited stealth if the stealth still activated.

2) What would you do if you launched a KK drone by accident? :lol:

Arcadius
26-08-03, 01:55
Here's a small idea to help droners, let their drone be buffed by ppus.

Scikar
26-08-03, 02:01
Originally posted by Arcadius
Here's a small idea to help droners, let their drone be buffed by ppus.

The trouble with that is that it means allowing all stacks on the drone. Which includes damage boost, poison and fire. /Me imagines hundreds of drones suddenly exploding in the graves.

Brammers
26-08-03, 02:33
Mad idea - but I do like it :)

Just how many PN's will drop in a op-battle to save the droner's arse!

RayBob
26-08-03, 02:44
Well, I doubt that I would use this mode very often and probably not for OP battles. I would mostly enjoy it for spur-of-the-moment PKing encounters.

Ray

JiNxY
26-08-03, 02:46
lol its not the kinda thing id like to see tbh.

let me get this right. were invincible? but if the drone dies, we die.
personally i dont lose drones much when im out hunting.. and why? because i drop the drone... but if i didnt, id have a dead drone pretty damn fast. even faster in PvP. id be dropping drones left right and centre, to save my meat, this would cost me a fortune... Also i dont stealth, so would all droners NEED to have stealth capability to do this? or would it just be, droners CAN stealth (kinda unfare to the other spies)

heres a small example of what people would complain about:

A runner (and by no means do i just mean spies) gets small amount of RCL/WPW, uses a fast moving high flying drone... runner goes to OP fight, gets to a good position, flies drone real high so noby notices.. runner waits till the right moment, drops his drone, and BAM, some tank/Pe/monk has just appeared out of nowhere to cause mayhem.

imagine going through pepper park!!! what a nightmare!!
youd get jumped all the time

this would mean increasing a drones resists to reflect the droners stats, but then as Scikar said, the graves would be impossible then.. and lets be honest thats our only good leveling spot.

allowing buffs on a drone (like with a SC) would be nice, but how many times does a droner go anywhere with a ppu? never really (just OP fights)

fair enough i HATE being a droner when i come across an enemy Toe to Toe. (for instance a lvl 45 spy kicked my arse today out in the wastelands, all i could do was wait to die. I could launch a drone, but then id just lose a drone and a QB )

my Conclusion:

Bad Idea, nice try, but not what i personally feel is what would make us a better class

RayBob
26-08-03, 03:09
I doubt that anyone would use this mode for hunting, Jinxy. Like I said, I probably wouldn't use this mode for OP wars either. It would just be an option for when you run across an enemy and want to fight him right then and there--exactly like what happened to you with that level 45 spy. No, all droners would NOT need to get stealth, this would simply be a feature of droning.

I didn't advocate giving a drone the resists of the runner, simply improving the energy resist.

The example you came up with is an excellent possible abuse which would require a tweaking of the idea not its abandonment. You're right, you don't want a player (like a monk or tank) to abuse this mode in order to get a stealth feature that they were never meant to have. A simple solution would be to make this mode have the same requirements as the Stealth 1 device.

Ray

SorkZmok
26-08-03, 03:12
OMFG I LUV YA!!

Awesome idea!
AWESOME IDEA!

Fuck me i never had that one! :(

/edit

Originally posted by Scikar
2) What would you do if you launched a KK drone by accident? :lol:

lmao, your own fault then :p

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 05:03
I think that idea sounds idiotic.

Don't even make me explain it... just think about it, and you will see.

And, yeah, what would happen if you launched KK drone? :lol:

I think it's right that PPUs can kill drones with parashock, because after all, that's energy they're using, and a load of energy coursing through the drone's electronics will take it down in no time at all, even though that load of energy was shaped to interfere with the movement of organics.

craio
26-08-03, 06:54
Then the forum will be 'flooding'(as far as that is possible with so 'many' active droners with people complaining they died due to a bug(invisible damage,stuck to something ....).

Give the drone the droners resist? Sure why not my droner is 69/53 ** with 30 con his resist will make the difference....:rolleyes: (well he wil be very effective to xray as long as spy pa aint out.)

About the kk drone : well increase the damage with the amount of hp's the droner has then it would be like a true 'kamikazi' (ya know those guys with their plane):D

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 07:19
just as a rhetorical question (I loathe this idea so much I will seriously consider taking a long hard look at Neocron)...

what if a tank were to use a kamikaze drone in this so called mode, hmm, craio?

RayBob
26-08-03, 09:19
Hey porky, have a cookie and some warm milk. I believe you are a monk, correct? Well this is a droner's thread with a simple suggestion which might let us have more fun and yet it bothers you so much that you have to resort to "idiotic," "loath," and you might even quit the game over it? Wow! Talk about overreaction.

By all means why don't you (after you have calm down) explain why you think it would be a bad idea instead of assuming that it is so obvious that I and all of the people that liked the idea should be embarrassed at having dared post on your forum.

Someone else asked about how the KKs would be handled but I figured it was a silly point since you could easily make it so that this new "mode" would not be available with KK drones. However, craio has an interesting idea. Increase the damage of the KK and make it a true kamikaze maneuver. I don't think the damage should be linked in any way to the droner's life but that is just a detail. I don't know how many droners would be willing to sacrifice themselves for that one hit--it would have to be a hell of a bang--but it is interesting.

KK has made it clear a long time ago that they want the PPUs to be masters of defense and not damage. Other people have suggested that the PPU's HP and soul cluster should not do damage to other players in keeping true to their role as purely defensive players. It is not at all reasonable that a purportedly defensive spell like HP can obliterate the highest TL weapon in the game so easily. Don't even try to use the "electrical energy on drone electronics" argument. There are a great many things in the game that could be considered unrealistic and a great many storyline explanations could be conceived of to explain why the electronics of the drone would be shielded from this type of damage. The fact is that none of that is important, what is important is the goal of every single RPG and that is balance between the classes. The forums of every single RPG ever made are filled with discussions on balancing the classes. Droners have to accept that they cannot kill the masters of defense but neither should they be able to so easily destroy a drone.

Ray

Rai Wong
26-08-03, 09:31
Drones die quite fast, the only reason you'd use that mode is purely for dueling and having fun but its a good idea.

Why not have a protocol mode on every drone, if you switch to to protocol mode while pressing Ctrl in drone mode, then you will drain ammo and switch to another mode, which has left click is for looting/opening doors and right click is for hacking. Switching back to drone mode also drains ammo. I don't know if this is a good suggestion or not, but it seems to solve most droner problems.

I think the drone should lose manuverability after taking an amount of items or some sort of limit. I think its easy if the items were transported straight back to the user, and switching modes drains ammo preventing the overuse of this function.

And why not have a drone that can preform functions a basic PPU can provide, like a nurse drone it give a chance for other classes to play supporting rule too.

Plus for god sake give the team epx near the drone, not near the body.

Rai Wong
26-08-03, 09:38
Originally posted by RayBob
Hey porky, have a cookie and some warm milk. I believe you are a monk, correct? Well this is a droner's thread with a simple suggestion which might let us have more fun and yet it bothers you so much that you have to resort to "idiotic," "loath," and you might even quit the game over it? Wow! Talk about overreaction.

By all means why don't you (after you have calm down) explain why you think it would be a bad idea instead of assuming that it is so obvious that I and all of the people that liked the idea should be embarrassed at having dared post on your forum.

Someone else asked about how the KKs would be handled but I figured it was a silly point since you could easily make it so that this new "mode" would not be available with KK drones. However, craio has an interesting idea. Increase the damage of the KK and make it a true kamikaze maneuver. I don't think the damage should be linked in any way to the droner's life but that is just a detail. I don't know how many droners would be willing to sacrifice themselves for that one hit--it would have to be a hell of a bang--but it is interesting.

KK has made it clear a long time ago that they want the PPUs to be masters of defense and not damage. Other people have suggested that the PPU's HP and soul cluster should not do damage to other players in keeping true to their role as purely defensive players. It is not at all reasonable that a purportedly defensive spell like HP can obliterate the highest TL weapon in the game so easily. Don't even try to use the "electrical energy on drone electronics" argument. There are a great many things in the game that could be considered unrealistic and a great many storyline explanations could be conceived of to explain why the electronics of the drone would be shielded from this type of damage. The fact is that none of that is important, what is important is the goal of every single RPG and that is balance between the classes. The forums of every single RPG ever made are filled with discussions on balancing the classes. Droners have to accept that they cannot kill the masters of defense but neither should they be able to so easily destroy a drone.

Ray

Well neocron is like developed by two people,it be too much coding :P. Still the electronics shock is a stupid idea,its like saying players should suffer from stutter and stun damage when hit, and end up in a wheelchair when they get shot at the leg, and die or blind immedietely when you shoot at the head. No game is realistic buddy and I don't see why droners have to be more realistic then the rest of the game/.

There is absolutely no reason why drones should be blind when they get hit constantly by anything even poison fluid. The flight of drones are already unpredicatable add the static and what use is drones in wars.

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 10:08
For one, I drone (both my monk and my spy), so I would think I know something about droning.

For another, this idea makes almost no sense to me... the body disappearing and a drone taking its place? WTF.

Well, PPUs do use their parashocks for defense in that they do *some* damage to others all the while hobbling them. Now, I do agree that using Holy Paralysis and such to kill off high level drones doesn't seem fair, though you do know that many PPUs have to resort to using their parashocks in conjunction to SoulClusters to kill mobs to level and such.

It's only right that a drone would relay static when hit since drones have delicate electronics. And think of poison as corrosion, it makes perfect sense that poison would damage tech mods, but yeah, poison fluid causing static at the initial impact doesn't make sense - that needs to be fixed.

Original monk
26-08-03, 10:17
hiya raybob, its a very good idea maybe it needs some tweaking but indeed these are the kind of idea's that change the game in a positive way, continue youre good work