PDA

View Full Version : System Shock 2 Rebirth

Alex Mars
25-08-03, 09:58
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

The person(s) behind the site have a patch that replaces a lot of the monster models and skins. The old ones were a bit crude (the game was done in '99) but the new ones are very nice. So far they have only done some of the monsters, not sure how many or when/if they will do more.

SS2, for those of you who don't know, is one of the inspirations for Deus Ex (and Neocron as well, in some ways).

xkorpio
25-08-03, 10:19
The page looks great!!! I will check to download it as soon as I arrive home (acutally at work!)

One thing that I would like A LOT is a total remake of the first System Shock for 2 main reasons:

- Was better than the SS2, but lacks good graphics
- A remake means that I can actually play it on my winxp!!!, too old to run in my computer :confused:

Benjie
25-08-03, 10:58
someone posted it ages ago. I've already tried it and it does make the game look awesome!

Omnituens
25-08-03, 13:57
shame i dont have a copy of SS2 yet :(

Benjie
25-08-03, 14:03
Originally posted by Omnituens
shame i dont have a copy of SS2 yet :(

System Shock 2 cannot be bought in the stores anymore, and it's as old as shit. The developers have abandoned it.
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=3924
Click there to download it for free. It's an abandonware site.

Please don't edit this post. Abandonware is _not_ illegal.

EDIT: click on the download link at the bottom of the page

enablerbr
25-08-03, 14:06
Benjie that isn't Abandonware though. :p . only SS1 is.

Benjie
25-08-03, 14:11
Originally posted by enablerbr
Benjie that isn't Abandonware though. :p . only SS1 is.

Actually I think it is now.

Underdogs are a very legal abandonware site anyway, they never have warez or oldwarez. They are well known and all the developers are aware of them. Plus they take games off there site if they get a request.

enablerbr
25-08-03, 14:13
checkout the system shock forums to see what i'm talking about.

Malek
25-08-03, 16:25
Looks like they finished the new rumbler model... as if I needed another reason to be scared of 'em.

Oh and yes, abandonware technically is illegal by the Intellectual Property Rights act... the argument is that no one is selling it so the company has little to no reason to press legal action asides being stingy, (or the IDSA is feeling bored, you pick.)

Under the FAQ section of Underdogs there is a nice article called "Abandonware - Why Nobody Wins..." explaining all this.

Benjie
25-08-03, 17:07
I am for it, Abandonware that is. If it wasn't for abandonware then it would be impossible for me to induldge in Dungeon Master, one of the greatest games ever created.

Psycho_Soldier
25-08-03, 19:46
Ahh... Already 1 minute into the game and found something related to Neocron... The GravShaft. I wonder who had the idea first.

Alex Mars
25-08-03, 20:00
I found my copy of SS2 on ebay, along with a strategy guide. I think I spent $20 on the set.

MortuusLupus
25-08-03, 20:49
X-Com: Apocalypse had gravity lifts before SS2. Probably there was a game before them that had em, though, and most likely someone had written a story about them long before any of these games were made

Spy<VS>Spy
25-08-03, 21:51
system shock 2 was pretty good but for some reason i enjoyed the first one just a bit better, perhaps it was the fact you just did to much running and gunning in SS2 then system shock, in the original you kinda interlopped around and did allot of detective work.

you know, after you cleared a zone you might return to the lower levels and fish around a bit more, its not to dangerous as secrity has been downed to zero and most of the mobs have been killed. rummaging through logs and emails to hunt around for items and other cashes of equipment. complete your map or whatever...get the next OS upgrade or even just look at some of the blood written across the wall to find out what the crew has been subjected too...

not saying SS2 isnt a wonderful game, its scary, dramatic and completely sci fi. but i always felt in a hurry, i never really felt like going 'back' levels and looking around, the random spawns i thought where a bit over done.

i really missed the hacking aspects and cyberspace interfaces.

hnlecter
25-08-03, 22:34
I wish I could apply that patch so it worked on XP. Or is there someway around it? I don't know what directory the game installs it under. Would be nice if someone could tell me, I will promise to hump you forever.

Benjie
25-08-03, 22:40
Has anybody not played System Shock 2 but are becoming curious because of this thread?

OMG GET IT! It is like Deus Ex, Half Life, With the volume turned up to Eleven! (most amps only go up to 10!!!)

Benjie
25-08-03, 22:41
Double post. *appologises*

Hey I have a speaking for meh performing arts thingey at collage tomorrow. Wish meh luck!

Omnituens
25-08-03, 22:54
go break a leg

when i first saw this game, i imagined a cross between Duex Ex and SS.

hnlecter
25-08-03, 22:57
yea, I was excited and saw the new grafics except it doesn't work on XP and the patch won't install for the downloaded version.

Alex Mars
25-08-03, 23:19
Well, it works fine on my XP system. I have a retail copy of SS2 that I found on ebay. I patched it normally and then dropped the Mesh folder from the Rebirth site into the directory.

when i first saw this game, i imagined a cross between Duex Ex and SS.

It's pretty clear that NC draws a lot from both games, which is cool because no one is going to make DX or SS2 Online.

Cryton
26-08-03, 11:54
SS2 is a great game, but it's darn hard. Be prepaired for that. You can't allow yourself to relax a bit at anytime in that game :)

/Cryton

Omnituens
26-08-03, 14:57
there is less ammo than the resident evil games.

no auto reload is a bit annoying too.

assualt rifle > all

Eckel
26-08-03, 15:12
Never played SS2 till now.......new models worked ok :)...
I need ammo :o