PDA

View Full Version : Wasteland terrain improvements.

Heavyporker
24-08-03, 22:47
I have said it before, in many ways, but I will say it again...

We really should have more terrain features in the wastelands...

not just that, but also in the forests and mountains and steppes.

Now, we do have plenty of ponds, but moving water really should be more prevalent.

Well, for one, an idea could be like this:

[IMG=http://www.geocities.com/heavyporker/RubiesofEventide9.jpg[/IMG] (in no way advertising for Rubies - but that's one damn cool waterfall)

Yeah, waterfalls out in the wilds, not just those sewer waterfalls (cool though)

And streams! REAL moving water, yeah! If KK can do the sewer waterways, they can most assuredly do streams... I think they had done something promising around Sherman Bay, if I remember rightly - bridges crossing stuff...

Yeah, that's another issue... roads in the wilds are a bit shit if you ask me... almost no maintenance, seeing as trees grow in the middle of roads and at random intervals the "road" suddenly takes a steep, and do I mean steep dip that you aren't likely to be able to get up in coming in the other direction...

oh, and in my opinion... there really should be some bridges crossing the deep ravines that roads sometimes straddle - if you fall off, you're in for quite a crazy time trying to get back on the road...

And for another thing, OP entrances should be tweaked so that at least the combat bikes can get in (shades of mad max?! :D )

And for another, I would think that it'd be better if the road had different textures... like for the main roads between the cities, being linked to them, they would get better maintenance, and would be paved or at least have a distinct gravel texture that really differeniates it from the ground...

That way, you kind of know when you're going off the main roads when you turn off into a dark strip winding out of front of you, the rough passing of the occasional vehicle having trampled the grass, its owners going on some unknown purpose...

Ah, but I wax poetical.

Other terrain improvements might be more harmless wildlife like bunnies and deer and such... you would think with all the predators out there, a larger prey population base would exist, right? Just droms and wolves and vultures don't cut it though they're fun to see.

Oh, and wolves should be in tighter groups since they're social an hunt in teams... right now, they're way too loosely strung out...
vultures DO flock together and glide around in circles over the thermals... very nice touch, that.

OH, before I forget... you have seagulls around via rosso, right? well, put them out on the ocean beaches in the B zones and the K zones as well... they're so empty it's kind of unsettling. At least the K zones have their crabs...

OH OH OHHHHHH! You could put fish mobs into the ponds and streams - maybe like 5/5 minnows and 20/20 trout? and in the ocean - 40/40 stingrays (further out, in the deeper parts) and 60/60 sharks (further past out the stingrays) and 100/100 whales (EVEN further out and only one or two whales exist at a time - rare spawn mobs like the larent)... you should raise some reefs and shoals so players can try to swim out, and get up on those islands, and go deep-sea fishing :D

or even better, use gliders to get out there to the islands...

I think I got more wasteland improvements in my head but this will do for now.

What do you guys think?

Omnituens
24-08-03, 23:40
wait, we already got bad FPS in the wastes and you want MORE shit in the zones?

Dissenter
25-08-03, 02:54
This is neocron, no bunnies or deers or minnows.

It should be more like Mutated Death Bunny or Radioactive Psycho Minnow

RayBob
25-08-03, 04:14
Neocron is a diamond in the rough. It has tremendous potential and this idea is just another example. I think this will be a really cool game maybe 2-3 years from now--assuming it can last that long.

Dissenter
25-08-03, 12:19
TBH i doubt it with the way games are putting more emphasis on graphical quality

Psyco Groupie
25-08-03, 12:24
yeah but nothing comes close to neocron gameplay !

playing eve is cool... nice gfx and different game ... but neocron is just fun :)

msdong
25-08-03, 12:44
first of al we should start with a river crossinf the land. unfortunatly before that they have to "fix" VHC/Building restrictions.

Dissenter
25-08-03, 13:17
unfortunatley they have lots of other stuff to fix too

El_MUERkO
25-08-03, 15:33
More eye candy is nice but game balancing and the release of long awaited addons are higher up the list of must haves.

To be honest I wish they'd hurry up and get a new publisher so they can release DOY, then Neocron can get really popular and make lots of money, finally KK will announce Neocron 2 on *insert uber gfx engine* with mutant death minnows included :)

Itth
25-08-03, 15:37
nc needs a scary forest llol with trees.

and some 120/120 mutant tree dropping seeds that u can plant in ur apt or in teh wasteland (a clan farming this can block their ops hack central with trees and pwn all teh ninja hack0rs :P

EDIT: they should also drop wood, so u can construct a house, a 5 slotter house got 6 rooms, a 4 slotted 5 rooms, a 0 slot got one room. this u can either put in ur apt or in teh wasteland, of course to prevent the wasteland being filled with houses teh tree shoyud pretty mich be unbeatable (except if you got 250 tanks with ppus) also u should have teh ability to let people in the house for a fee (or free, if your a pussy) and have a club wiwth strippers in the middle of the wastelands opr something, make big bucks.

EDIT2: of course u should be able to plant turrets inm ur house, that cna KOS pe0ple or clans or factions. and steal their belts when the stupid n00bs try to enter your house. also if you dont want 6 small rooms, u can have 6 big rooms, so it covers a whole zone.

EDIT3: lol and u can choose to have mob spawn in ur house, for example when u wanna go wb hunting u dont even have to leave your house! also if you want to havesome pet rabid dogs thats no problem.

EDIT6: u cna have a y rep or something to gaurd your house too, working like a moving turret, pwning anything on teh KOS, of course if you like u can have strippers wth CS's to do that too.

Berzerker
25-08-03, 15:51
Need some strip clubs in the OP's.

Nidhogg
25-08-03, 15:53
There are some pretty spooky looking trees up in the north of the swamps (not far from MB)

N

Itth
25-08-03, 15:55
Originally posted by Nidhogg
There are some pretty spooky looking trees up in the north of the swamps (not far from MB)

N

do they drop wood?

enablerbr
25-08-03, 15:56
Originally posted by Itth
do they drop wood?

no but nid gets a wood from seeing them.:lol:

Itth
25-08-03, 15:59
Originally posted by enablerbr
no but nid gets a wood from seeing them.:lol:

i hope youve put some points into hammer resist o_O

Berzerker
25-08-03, 15:59
do they drop wood?

Yur going to need my Advanced Enlarged Enlarged Chain Saw to find out.

Itth
25-08-03, 16:01
Originally posted by Berzerker
Yur going to need my Advanced Enlarged Enlarged Chain Saw to find out.

theres no such thing in nc as a Chain Saw :rolleyes:

Heavyporker
25-08-03, 17:40
My head almost blew apart when I read this:

"nc needs a scary forest llol with trees.

and some 120/120 mutant tree dropping seeds that u can plant in ur apt or in teh wasteland (a clan farming this can block their ops hack central with trees and pwn all teh ninja hack0rs :P

EDIT: they should also drop wood, so u can construct a house, a 5 slotter house got 6 rooms, a 4 slotted 5 rooms, a 0 slot got one room. this u can either put in ur apt or in teh wasteland, of course to prevent the wasteland being filled with houses teh tree shoyud pretty mich be unbeatable (except if you got 250 tanks with ppus) also u should have teh ability to let people in the house for a fee (or free, if your a pussy) and have a club wiwth strippers in the middle of the wastelands opr something, make big bucks.

EDIT2: of course u should be able to plant turrets inm ur house, that cna KOS pe0ple or clans or factions. and steal their belts when the stupid n00bs try to enter your house. also if you dont want 6 small rooms, u can have 6 big rooms, so it covers a whole zone.

EDIT3: lol and u can choose to have mob spawn in ur house, for example when u wanna go wb hunting u dont even have to leave your house! also if you want to havesome pet rabid dogs thats no problem.

EDIT6: u cna have a y rep or something to gaurd your house too, working like a moving turret, pwning anything on teh KOS, of course if you like u can have strippers wth CS's to do that too."

Please tell me that was joke, and not some actual *idea*!

*groan*

all right, yeah, chain saw would be a pretty cool melee weapon, could be the "flamer" of the melee weapons, it does "DoT" damage in the sense you would have to keep holding it on the target for it to do damage, not "swings" like other melee weapons.

but if this iith guy or something says that the statement I quoted from him was serious, I will have to call assassins onto him.

I put up *simple* ideas that would be relatively simple to implement. The minnows and trout and deer were just suggestions to set the baseline. Of course they would have to fit in the proper milieu.

And at the very least, what would be so wrong about putting up seagull sprites from Via Rosso onto the skies above the beaches in the B and K zones? They would hardly cost any FPS if at all, and massively add to the atmosphere there.

Why complaing about FPS? My ideas that I outlined above hardly seem processor intensive.
I mean, for one, I suggested changing the TEXTURES of the main roads... Would anyone instantly lose 5 FPS just looking at the road?!?
For another, I proposed integral terrain changes in including streams in the steppes and plains and waterfalls in the mountains. Have you gone around in the swamps? They have plenty of ponds and it doesn't kill your processor (no, rather, its all those damn plants, lol ), the beaches shore massive amounts of water, does your or anyone's computer have its CPU rocket out of your case whenther you look out from the beach? Have you gone into the mainsewers and gazed upon the architecture in wonder? did your computer gasp at that? NO, no, no, and NO!
All I am proposing are some *small* streams to start off with, scattering them throughout the appropriate terrains so the land has some *real* variety.
Look at the screenshot that I posted in the threadstarter post, I think the terrain editor can simulate something similar to it quite easily... and THINK what a couple waterfalls (and ponds feeding the waterfalls of course - don't forget the realism factor) here and there among the mountains would do to the scenery! My god, KK could do something REALLY dramatic with the Crystal Caves, like have waterfalls wreathe the roof of the entrance, and the approach is underwater, meaning you have to swim into the pond from the falls to get in. A really dramatic start for some bat hunting, I think you will agree. And before you say it wouldnt work, go to the Pepper Park MainSewer entry ( kudos to whomever knows what I speak of ;) )

It would be SO easily done, I dearly wish to see those relatively miniscule changes. In fact, I want those changes over some new sort of APU spells (sorry arcadius :D )

Itth
25-08-03, 18:47
of course im serious :rolleyes: otherwise i wouldnt post it.

BTW, i like all of your ideas. implent them.

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 05:09
Itth, what server do you play on and what names?

Oh, just curious. I wouldnt do anything like call assassins on you.

*looks shifty and counts the money in his wallet*

PsycheBlade
26-08-03, 06:01
I don't think KK want to sit through 30+ hour geometry compile times again :o

Otherwise good ideas - to bad we have to wait for them to do anything about it. I'm all up for more interesting terrain or more ocean zones.

Some notes: having bridges, while a good idea - vehicles currently can only drive on terrain, any objects you run into they just stop. Goto the bridge near TG and try to drive across that...

...what happened to edit 4 and 5 Itth :confused:

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 07:35
really, pscyheblade? the concrete bridges dont let vecs across?! why not?!

I assume that the wooden bridge near Sherman Bay lets vehicles across... but since I cant play NC now, I need someone to check that out with BOTH a bike (smaller so more likely to get across) and a jeep (much larger, so a better test of vec accessiblity) at that place.

Oh, and before I forget, why can't vecs go into most OPs? I mean surely a bike could at least get up the ramp into an OP? Those combat bikes sounds like they could be interesting to use against turrets, at least, right? (hey, only idea I had for combat bikes to be used in OP warfare, see.)

Now, I know of at LEAST three OPs that it could be likely that all vecs up to and including a Rhino Tank could drive in. But only three OPs?!?! At least open up all OPs to bikes, that's most likely sensible.

To that ocean thingie comment - Yeah, I think there's only one real zone-length of ocean out past those beaches... Really should extend the ocean to at least three zones out past dry land... then pepper the beach zone and first ocean zone band with islands so people can get out there then dry out. About one or two really big islands (say about one-third a full zone, perhaps) in the deep ocean zones.

My god, you would have some real pirate hideouts! Air pirate clans could use gliders to get out far away from trouble and stash their booty in boxes.... heh heh... so fun!

Think about, um, something like that cartoon show with anthromorphic toons like that Baloo pilot and Rebecca and that adorable kid. They were always flying over and around islands. I think this idea would be similiar to that. Put some abandoned houses and villages on those islands and some in the shallow water so it would be like venice when the oceans rise, see?

Anyways, back to the line of reasoning... what do you mean geometry compiles? I dont do graphics stuff, so I dont know. Anjd why sit by one computer doing math stuffs instead of moving on to other stuff for a while?

But surely they could do the texture changes to the main roads? I think that could be a VERY nice touch... I mean, paved roads from MB to TH, from TH to NC, from TH to TG canyon, and from TH to Desert Racetrack.... would make so much sense, and it would feel so amazing when you travel on a main road, stop and look at a beaten dirt road, and say to your team "hey, that looks interesting - where does it go to? lets check it out!"

right guys?

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 14:50
um, I forgot.. but you "ideejoints" forgot wood already drops ingame from those poison plants.

Itth
26-08-03, 15:31
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Itth, what server do you play on and what names?

Oh, just curious. I wouldnt do anything like call assassins on you.

*looks shifty and counts the money in his wallet*

saturn.

chars:

itth
itth Malmsteen
itthy
,00n Quaker

i could insert a cocky comment here, wich would explain that im unbeatable, but im way to mature for that.

EDIT:

Originally posted by PsycheBlade
I...what happened to edit 4 and 5 Itth :confused:

ROFLMAO!!!! man i need medication WTF, i didnt notice until now. LOL

Nullifidian
26-08-03, 15:40
I think if there are streams out in the wastes, they should be radiated. By that I mean if you try swimming through them, you'll take XRay damage.

In fact, most of the wastelands should have background radiation. There need to be storms that affect things more than just visually. Sandstorms in the desert, acid rain in the swamp, tornados on the plains.

There should be more remnants from the last war with the Dome lieing about in the wastes. There should be more bleached bones drying in the wasteland sun in the northern deserts. The graves should be littered with half eaten corpses. Worm tunnels should be filled with the charred husks of those foolish enough to take on the resident Soul Clusters. Wherever you go, there should be evidence that a war took place. The land should be scarred with impact craters.

With DoY coming out (one day in the far distant future), they have a chance to do such a thing. Really make the wastelands feel like wastelands. Make them feel lifeless and hopeless. Make them feel like the post apocalyptic environment they are supposed to represent.

Itth
26-08-03, 15:44
[correct me if im wrong.]

i belive teh fights between nc and doy made teh radiation so high they actually couldnt fight anymore.

and i can also remember being said that you wouldnt be able to travel through the wastelands without some xray protection.

Nullifidian
26-08-03, 16:09
[correct me if im wrong.]

i belive teh fights between nc and doy made teh radiation so high they actually couldnt fight anymore.

and i can also remember being said that you wouldnt be able to travel through the wastelands without some xray protection.

You remember correctly.

But what KK says and what KK does are 2 different things.

Heavyporker
26-08-03, 17:14
aw hells yes!

There should be incremental increases in the DoT xray damage being in the wastelands and going deeper into its heart...

Something like 1 to 3 dmg per tick on the outer edges, where the land has mostly healed, like say the swamps, the forests, and about 5 to 8 xray dmg per tick in the the savanna and canyons, maybe, and then in the deserts you would get something on the order of 10 to 15 xray dmg a sec. Going into any outside water might increase the damage by one or two more dmg per tick while you are swimming in the stuff.... lets make it solid values, so people can decide to spec xray or wear those energyfield belts that give some xray and hit the xray resist potion and drugs more often... but to make it kinder on everyone, reduce the drugflash from that drug that gives like +3 to poison and 5 to xray, see?

Now, this wouldn't be hugely affective, but it would at least make everyone step that much more carefully out there in the wastelands and hit their heals and meditkits a bit more often.

I agree that KK didn't lay down nearly enough skeletons (there are loads scattered WIDELY throughout the land - go look, heh heh.) And about those corpses - maybe you refer to something similiar to what one would see in the subway cabs while whizzing through the outzone? (try it and look out the cab window if you dont know what I mean. :D muahahaha)

Heavyporker
27-08-03, 08:08
I was looking through some screenshots, and I found the bridge that I spoke of... the bridge in B 10, yeah, around sherman bay - I can see the buildings in sight from the bridge.

Its different from the concrete bridges out in the canyons - this one is a steel affair, and it even has lamps! (well, this is a daytime shot, so I cant tell if they really DO light up the bridge).

Since I can't play NC for a while, can someone go out there in a couple vecs and see if they can cross it with their vecs? like, say, a hoverbike and a jeep?

From the couple other shots I have with this shot, I can tell something disappointing from this photo - the bridge doesnt take you over a stretch of water - only a depression in the terrain :(

KK gypped out! If you're gonna make hilly areas, then make sure the deepest parts of the zones have water in them... that and make sure that at least SOME bridges cross water!

anyone ever seen a bridge that crossed water in the wastelands?

please post this info.