PDA

View Full Version : Tear down all the OPs

RayBob
24-08-03, 01:49
How many times can we all take over, lose and retake the same OPs? There is no meaning to OP warfare.

I think that KK should delete all the OPs and let clans build their own OPs. Clans should shape the face of the planet.

Instead of making a huge post I will make smaller follow-up posts with suggestions on how this might work.

Arcadius
24-08-03, 01:53
I like the idea. The game has such a small playerbase that there's more than enough for a good decent size clan that wants a piece. It could be one op per clan or something. And clans can build up their op and buy improvements or something.

hax0r

Benjie
24-08-03, 02:20
Is this possible? I don't think so. I'll vote for the idea because potentially it is good. I just don't think it is possible.

RayBob
24-08-03, 02:30
And now with some of the details....

Each clan can only have one primary OP. This OP would be a fortress and give combat bonuses (which are even better than the current bonuses) to help the clan defend their main OP.

An ally system needs to be developed which allows clans to declare allies and communicate via "ally chat." Allies would be able to GR into you clan's OP without synaptic impairment and they would also receive the combat bonuses. This would encourage true allies who would not hesitate to come to your aid.

OPs (in particular the primary fortress) are expensive to create and maintain. A foundation can be purchased from your faction HQ for a significant sum of say 10 million credits.

The OP can be enhanced tremendously although these improvements are all expensive and add to the OP's maintenance expense. A clan can add walls, towers, turrets, an ASG, shops, factories, labs, etc. There would be many different levels of defenses but the higher levels would require that the lower levels be maintained (without being destroyed) for some significant amount of time. Higher level defensive elements also add to the maintenance expense of the OP. The construction/research bonus is granted only after a factory/lab is added to your OP. Clan members can place items for sale by the NPCs in the player-run OP stores.

Since a primary OP can take a clan many months and hundreds of millions to create, it should not be easy to destroy. Turrets would be much stronger than the current turrets and they would require generators to power them. Allies would also be notified when the OP is under attack. The survival of this OP benefits the entire alliance and thus encourages a strong desire to defend it.

All OP enhancements require researchers and constructors--a strong tradeskilling department is vital to a successful clan. The elements of your OP can be damaged and destroyed by your enemies. Repairers are needed to fix the walls, turrets, etc. All construction and repair tasks require many different components (in addition to the current substance) which can be found off of mobs and purchased by the clan from other players (a good source of income for smaller clans and individual runners). Individual runners can sell these supplies to the clan stores at the OPs. Naturally, they will sell the valuable supplies to the clan offering the best price.

A new option should be available for teams which consist of all clan (or alliance) members. This option has to be agreed upon by all members of the team and turns the hunt into a "clan hunt." The result is that the money from all kills is enhanced by a significant amount and all credits go directly into the clan account and not to the individual players. This would encourage clans to go hunting together to make the money that maintaining an OP requires.

More to come…

Forget My Name
24-08-03, 02:43
Take shadowbane's City Program...

Cut and Paste into Neocron.

Done.

RayBob
24-08-03, 02:57
The primary OP has a storage facility. This holds the clan's supply of the 14 (for example) components/minerals/etc. that the clan requires for it's maintenance, construction, and repair needs.

Any clan member can check the current supply status and organize a hunting party to replenish those supplies which are running low. Alliance members and individual runners can also sell needed supplies to the clan through the clan store at the OP.

The more valuable components/minerals would require the clan to hunt for them as a group in one of only several spots. Naturally, the likelihood of encountering enemies at these spots is high. New components/minerals (permitting significant OP improvements) could be introduced by KK which create hot spots on the map. These spots would have a limited supply which would eventually be exhausted.

For example, some new component could be introduced which clans would need to collect a significant amount of in order for the researchers/constructers to upgrade the clan's lab. This upgrade would make all researching 10% faster.

Clans can create many smaller "transport OPs." These would basically consist of a GR, a GoGo, and minimal defenses. These would be expensive but not unreasonably so. Enemies can destroy them. A clan would want to maintain several of these near good hunting spots and in particular near any new component/mineral hot spot.

___T-X____
24-08-03, 03:12
I think that its a great idea. Apart from your character - i dont think there is enuff creativity. I dont feel there are any projects a clan can work on, hence one of the reasons im leaving the game.

Your idea has great potential, but i just dont think KK ahve the time / inclination to change things.

I would love to use tradeskillers and be part of a clan tradeskill team with responsilities to up keep an op. I would especially love to help create and visually and technically impressive op with well planned security.

That would keep me transfixed in the game.

I think in 2/3 years this game will have elements like this, certainly not for a long time

RayBob
24-08-03, 03:21
Exactly T-X.

Tradeskillers would have a lot to do. They would be constantly checking what had been damaged and needed repairing. The researchers and constructors would check the component supply and res/build the elements for new walls, turrets, or other enhancements.

The combat ranks would always be pressed to bring in the supplies that the clan needs to maintain and improve the OP. The possibilities are endless.

Ray

Arcadius
24-08-03, 03:22
Originally posted by ___T-X____
I think that its a great idea. Apart from your character - i dont think there is enuff creativity. I dont feel there are any projects a clan can work on, hence one of the reasons im leaving the game.

Your idea has great potential, but i just dont think KK ahve the time / inclination to change things.

I think in 2/3 years this game will have elements like this, certainly not for a long time

Unfortunately I feel the same way.

Scikar
24-08-03, 03:36
I like the idea, but there's a couple of problems I see.

1) Sometimes clans die, it happens. There needs to be a way of transferring an OP.

2) Small clans would have even greater difficulty building an OP. They will find it hard to afford to start with and then it would be easy for their enemies to destroy.

A couple of questions:

1) How much would it take to destroy an OP? I would like there to be a system in place, whereby only certain methods can be used to destroy OPs - i.e. bombs. Turrets should be destroyable using regular weaponry but walls, factories, labs, generators, and the OP itself should need to be taken out with bombs. These would have a considerably long timer and would need to be hacked to disarm.

2) Is there any way to transfer an OP, i.e. if a clan dies but a significant number of it's members start a new clan together and would like to keep their OP.

3) Is there any way to capture an OP?

Benjie
24-08-03, 03:48
In 2/3 years I wont be playing NC aymore. MMORPG's will require Cable as a requirement and real life physics will be in as extreme details. Everyone will be complaining and it will be the same old same old.

This wont happen. In the short/long time I have played Neocron, I have gotten to know KK's attitude toward's things like this.

DEV: "Arh! MArtin! A polular Brainport Idea!!!"
MARTIN:"CRAP! Wht should we do!!!"
DEV: "It _IS_ possible and quite easy, but it sounds hard. maybe we cud jest not do it??"
MARTIN: "Excellent!! keep up the greet work!!!"
DEV: "Ok. want me to finish adding the bugs to DoY?"
MARTIN: "No we need to double check to make sure they arn't going to be buggy!!"
DEV: "LOL!"
MARTIN: "Just get to work damint"
DEV: "ok honey"

Sorry couldn't help myself!

RayBob
24-08-03, 04:26
Originally posted by Scikar
I like the idea, but there's a couple of problems I see.

1) Sometimes clans die, it happens. There needs to be a way of transferring an OP.

A primary OP has maintenance expenses. If these monies/supplies are not replenished the OP is destroyed. You don't want the map covered with OPs that are inactive.

As far as transferring the OP, sure. The "foundation" of the OP could be a key that the clan purchases like the current clan apartment. I don't see why it could not be transferred and sold to another clan. However, re-registering an OP foundation key would delete all current alliances.

2) Small clans would have even greater difficulty building an OP. They will find it hard to afford to start with and then it would be easy for their enemies to destroy.

Agreed. Only well organized clans that saved a significant amount of money would be able to buy a foundation key and also build enough initial fortifications to give their OP a chance of survival. Protecting this "baby OP" would be an extreme priority. Alliances become crucial. Power through politics.

If you look at the map on any server right now, you will see that all the OPs are owned by a handful of clans. Each server has hundreds of clans, but only a few have the power to hold OPs. The same would be true for the new OP system.

Right now, the game lacks goals. New clans would spend a lot of time hunting together with the new "enhanced-money clan-hunting mode" I suggested, in order to generate this seed money.

A couple of questions:

1) How much would it take to destroy an OP? I would like there to be a system in place, whereby only certain methods can be used to destroy OPs - i.e. bombs. Turrets should be destroyable using regular weaponry but walls, factories, labs, generators, and the OP itself should need to be taken out with bombs. These would have a considerably long timer and would need to be hacked to disarm.

I agree that the destruction of a mature clan's primary OP should not be a simple task. I like the idea of bombs which hackers can place and other hackers can disarm before they detonate, That sounds cool.

Nonetheless, no single bomb will destroy any wall. Breaching the defenses of a well-built fortress should NOT be something that an enemy clan can do in a few hours while your clan is offline. A well planned combination of defenses will protect the OP for a long time. However, this does not mean that the enemy cannot do significant damage. In fact, continually "softening" the defenses through relentless attacks would be a crucial step towards the eventual destruction of the OP. The continuos repair and enhancement of your OP's defenses will be a key goal.

The best protection for an OP will always be a strong alliance. For every clan that goes to the trouble of creating an OP there will be 20 smaller clans that enjoy the GRing/Lab/Factory bonuses but have no desire to endure the pressure of maintaining such an OP. I would hope that an alliance would always be willing to defend the OP.

2) Is there any way to transfer an OP, i.e. if a clan dies but a significant number of it's members start a new clan together and would like to keep their OP.

I already answered this above.

3) Is there any way to capture an OP?

I don't think it should be about capturing an enemy clan's OP, but rather about destroying it. When you destroy their OP you have dealt them a significant blow. They have lost factory/lab bonuses and stores. They have also lost an OP that probably took them months to build and thousands of hours of work to improve and maintain. Not to mention the tremendous financial blow.

Keep the questions coming.

Ray

Eledhbrant
24-08-03, 15:19
No question here, just to say that your idea kicks ass

Tickles
24-08-03, 15:35
5 stars. Brilliant but impossible

SigmaDraconis
24-08-03, 16:00
wo0t now instead of gainign money from OPsits costing me..kewlz0rz i was just wishing for another money sink.....

seriously..its a fine idea but for me OPs r just a way to cause a fight and not receiving a DM afterward containing lots and lots of rather RUDE and assumed charactoristics about my personality o.0

Mumblyfish
24-08-03, 17:17
5 stars. I really don't see why this would be impossible, just hard work. I'm sure I could let KK off the hook with no patches for 4 months for THIS baby.

And I love the idea of player-run stores. Who'd want to destroy and OP held by a clan which puts Cursed Souls in their store?

Kazper
24-08-03, 17:25
Hmm imagine this, a clan with a large bank account builds the hugest fortress ever, which vaporizes anyone instantly that comes within a mile of it, then said clan runs out of money to pay upkeep costs and the fortress turns on them, researches and develops rocket boosters in its own facilities and flies to neocron and nukes it

alig
24-08-03, 17:30
Excellent idea, THAT would make this game worth logging on for.....

I wonder if this will even be looked at :rolleyes:

5 stars

Mingerroo
24-08-03, 17:34
I love it. 5 Stars. But lets look at this in more detail.

Fences, gogos, GRs, some walls etc are all objects. This means that it is possible for a player to have the oppurtunity to place objects (we have seen the engine is capable of this :))

After muchos code, it could be that hte owning clan can purchase improvements etc.

Obviously walls would have more armour value against, say force than fences, but fences resist piercing better (or something, thats just a random idea). OP gates would have to be made available and only openable by the owning clan through the door button on both sides of the door. They should be slow moving.... so that sabotage is possible.

OPs should be available to any clan still (so still more than one) but obviously if you are focusing more attention on one than any others you are going to lose some naturally.

Some OP types should affect your other OPs, to make them more critical to A>Protecting your OPs and B>taking out first to gain tactical advantage over the owners of the mian target OP.

Bottom line in my opinion is that OPs should have more protection types made available, and they should have more effect on each other. (Maybe even have each fortress protected by a certain uplink (or equivalent protective OP) so you take OPs with more tactics in mind. :D:D

Roc-a-fella
24-08-03, 18:07
I saw the title and i was like "wtf" then i read it and was liek "Omg" great idea ;)

RuButt
24-08-03, 18:12
yayayay, great idea - i want me own op!!!

i want my own whores! my own..whatever...

5 star,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.