PDA

View Full Version : Uranus - English server ?

___T-X____
24-08-03, 00:39
Is Uranus supposed to be an english server or international ?

Not meaning to gun for zee germans, but it seems that 50% of the server is german/german speaking in local etc...

From my playing experience, I find that there is a huge gap between cultures due to the language differences etc- and generally, I dont see many clans that are mixed...

anyone else find this on Uranus ?

Legoias
24-08-03, 00:55
Originally posted by ___T-X____
Is Uranus supposed to be an english server or international ?

Not meaning to gun for zee germans, but it seems that 50% of the server is german/german speaking in local etc...

From my playing experience, I find that there is a huge gap between cultures due to the language differences etc- and generally, I dont see many clans that are mixed...

anyone else find this on Uranus ?

Nope. I found playing a mixed server fun you meet different people etc. Infact two of my best in-game friends are german and i dont speak a word of the language.

msdong
24-08-03, 01:02
yes i find myself speaking in german on uranus but when im aware that there are any non germans or i want non germans to understand then i talk english.

during the late evening hours i start default to english on crowded places or when i talk to runners i dont know.

this thing is dicussed times before and no answer is given. all i can say that the official language is english and that u have to expect english support.

edit:

clans .. hmm u right. not much mixed. that fact is a little sad. but u know its easy to talk in u own language.
but last to say that uranus is a real "friendly" server most of the times and that most ppl play fair.

Tratos
24-08-03, 01:02
No not really, im in a mixed clan myself and i don't have any problems and i cant speak a word of german, well not much, but we do have a few members which do speak german/english and they help out the others who don;t speak one of the languages, most ppl who i talk to out side of clan speak english aswell, i actualy find im learning some of the language just from reading what they are saying and then finding a translation if they do speak in german, and i agree with Legoias it is fun playing a mixed server, and i have made a few in-game friends who are german aswell.

~T

Thane
24-08-03, 02:06
its quite ez.

on an international server, people speak different languages, hence international :)

when they speak in a language you do not understand, they most likely do NOTtalk to you....

and hey, in every bigger city is more than one spoken language.

TEBO
24-08-03, 02:33
u have 2 remember that not everybody speaks english and if they want to play on any sever, then they can. f all u can do about it - as it should be

more peeps = good

SorkZmok
24-08-03, 03:53
I know that problem. it really sucks when like 5 ppl start to spam the trade channel in german...im german myself but i dont talk in german on uranus except in direct chats or to tell those ppl to talk english. ;)

ppl who cant talk english shouldnt play on english servers. cause it really sucks when ppl talk and you cant understand shit. o_O

BlackDove
24-08-03, 04:24
Hence why it's so good that the server is international.

Kaden
24-08-03, 04:30
I always assumed that Uranus was an international server. Maybe I'm wrong.

IMO, people should be able to (without sarcastic comments from other runners) talk any language they want. It's not rude. It's not talking gibberish (as I have heard certain runners say), it's the language they speak

enablerbr
24-08-03, 05:33
only thing english about saturn and uranus is that the spoken language is supposed to be english. to be honest who cares what langauge is spoken. if someone cries for help in a language you don't understand. then they don't get help from you.

though if you watch what gets said long enough. you can sort of get the idea of whats been said anyway. besides which the germans had access to the servers before english players release.

edit: only thing i'm not keen on is seeing german spoken on say pluto as it's supposed to be a 1 char english server and the germans have a 1 char german server.

Lanigav
24-08-03, 09:12
As far as I know, the official languange classification for a server only means that support will only be rendered in that language. So if you're a German on Uranus, you probably won't be able to get GM support, just like an English person wouldn't get support on Venus. I could be entirely wrong about that though.

Its no real skin off my back, since it adds more fun and variety to the server, but it does kind of bug me when I enter P1 and see nothing but German speakers.

Infact two of my best in-game friends are german and i dont speak a word of the language.

I'm assuming they speak English then, right? Otherwise how'd you manage that?

Legoias
24-08-03, 12:04
Originally posted by Lanigav
As far as I know, the official languange classification for a server only means that support will only be rendered in that language. So if you're a German on Uranus, you probably won't be able to get GM support, just like an English person wouldn't get support on Venus. I could be entirely wrong about that though.

Its no real skin off my back, since it adds more fun and variety to the server, but it does kind of bug me when I enter P1 and see nothing but German speakers.

I'm assuming they speak English then, right? Otherwise how'd you manage that?

Yes they speak english but my point is I am interacting with people from around the world which a single language server many not allow. When I see german messages on trade etc i is easy to work out whats being said even if you dont speak the language.

And about the 'offical' language it is for support purposes.

Nothing bugs me more than a pin-head spamming trade telling people they must speak english because they are on an english server. There are a few russians on uranus, what the hell are they suppose to do?

Felissa
24-08-03, 15:31
Jupiter: 1 char german server - official language is german, so support is in german only
Venus: 1 char french server - official language is french, support is in french only
Pluto: 1 char english server - official language is english, support is english only

Uranus & Saturn: 4 char international servers - official language is german, although you also get support in german, and if you are lucky and there is a russian, dansk, japanese or whatever GM around, perhaps also in that language. Of course it is the best idea to write your tickets in english.

I think it doesn't matters what language you speak on these servers with other players, as long as the person you talk to understands you. But if you speak to only one single person you can take it to direct, as it is not thought for the ears (or eyes) of other players around anyway.
If germans ask for help in german, they will only get help from german runners. If you don't like to hear german or another language on an international server, there is a function which can help a lot: simply ignore them. ;)

msdong
24-08-03, 21:31
Originally posted by Felissa
...Uranus & Saturn: 4 char international servers - official language is german, although you also get support in german, ....

ups, bet u like to say: "Uranus & Saturn: 4 char international servers - official language is english, although you..." :)

Rieper
24-08-03, 23:01
I like the Germans :) i think its cool we have a mix on Uranus its got the best atmosphere. i cant say i ever had trouble with german being spoken... spam is spam in any language, and if people want to use trade for german, thats fine as long as they dont spam... and most of the time people translate.. how many times have you seen Search/Suche or whatever?

hivemind
24-08-03, 23:38
So if you're a German on Uranus, you probably won't be able to get GM support,
Not true, the support you get is usually in poor English, and if you submit a request in German you get a German reply.

Let's face it, the majority of the GMs are German, or bilingual Germans.

FuzzyDuck
25-08-03, 00:48
I find that it's just our clan TX, it's very English (I don't think we have one German/German Speaking memeber) so we feel a bit funny if we come across someone speaking something we don't understand (evident when Matt gets pissed off when I speak in French with raist and phinx).

greendonkeyuk
25-08-03, 12:51
the funny thing about spam is, you dont often see it in german..... unless im on the wrong channel....

DartVader
25-08-03, 13:11
i've started last year on Uranus before the US-Version where out. And Uranus WAS a German 4-Char Server.
At US-Release KK decided to make Uranus international and change the Official language to english....

Me, and many others, wanted to stay with the chars on Uranus because there's no 4-Char German server...