PDA

View Full Version : [OT]: 56k, 128k, Broadband, What comes after broadband?

Benjie
23-08-03, 12:09
And then what? Damn I hate downloading. Even with my Broadband the internet is as slow as shit! What else is there available to the UK, anybody know?

Is Cable good?
And what the hell is T1 and T3?
And does anybody reccomend a good broadband service? I am with BT at the moment and they are shit!

I figured mmorpg users would have faster connections so would be able to help most.

Cheers.

Elric
23-08-03, 12:24
Dump BT like the whore bitches they are and get Blueyonder or NTL.

Blueyonder currently does up to 2Mb connection (256kbps downloads 25.6 kbps upload)
NTL currently does up to 1Mb connections. (128kbps Downloads and 25.6kbps uploads)

Currently domestic cable broadband seems to be limited to 256k uplaod speeds for some reason. However, the download rates on both are excellent for the price. You can get a range of speeds, 128k, 256k, 512k, 1Mb and 2 Mb. I think NTL does a 768k one too, but Im not sure as I am on Blueyonder.

Just cross yer fingers and hope that your in a Cable capable area.

Benjie
23-08-03, 12:27
Originally posted by Elric
Dump BT like the whore bitches they are and get Blueyonder or NTL.

Blueyonder currently does up to 2Mb connection (256kbps downloads 25.6 kbps upload)
NTL currently does up to 1Mb connections. (128kbps Downloads and 25.6kbps uploads)

Currently domestic cable broadband seems to be limited to 256k uplaod speeds for some reason. However, the download rates on both are excellent for the price. You can get a range of speeds, 128k, 256k, 512k, 1Mb and 2 Mb. I think NTL does a 768k one too, but Im not sure as I am on Blueyonder.

Just cross yer fingers and hope that your in a Cable capable area.

Whats the difference between broadband and cable? I get so confused between those two.

IronMonkey
23-08-03, 12:31
dial up isdn dsl n cable(bvroadband) are sorta tied depending on your networkthan T-Lines than fibers than optics

broadband is cable its just digital cable(fiber foundation)

Pill
23-08-03, 12:32
er, Broadband internet is Cable, DSL, or anything that runs at a broad bandwidth.

T1 and T3's are uber internet connections, capable of pulling and sending things at Megabytes per second, your current isp proably has a couple of T1s or T3's,T1's are a few hundred a month, T3's a few thousand. There are also things like OC256 lines, but I won't go into that, else I would further confuse you.

NeoLojik
23-08-03, 12:33
Originally posted by Benjie
Whats the difference between broadband and cable? I get so confused between those two. Nothing, broadband is ADSL and Cable.

Narrowband:
ISDN

Broadband:
ADSL
Cable
T1, T3, OC3, OC20, OC256

IronMonkey
23-08-03, 12:34
Originally posted by Pill
er, Broadband internet is Cable, DSL, or anything that runs at a broad bandwidth.

T1 and T3's are uber internet connections, capable of pulling and sending things at Megabytes per second, your current isp proably has a couple of T1s or T3's,T1's are a few hundred a month, T3's a few thousand. There are also things like OC256 lines, but I won't go into that, else I would further confuse you.

T1 costs 1 grand a month T3's are alot more than a 'few thousand' lol

Benjie
23-08-03, 12:36
Originally posted by NeoLojik
Nothing, broadband is ADSL and Cable.

Narrowband:
ISDN

Broadband:
ADSL
Cable
T1, T3, OC3, OC20, OC256

I wish someone would invent a gravity bubble so we could travel forward in time using the relativity exploit, so I could get my hands on a bloody OC256 internet connection!

How much do OC256 connections cost? Jeest curious. What ARE they exactly? And what exactly IS a T3?

IronMonkey
23-08-03, 12:39
I am not trying to advertise just giving benjie a link he can read up on what a T3 is etc etc

http://www.t1-t3-dsl-line.com/page/32/

Elric
23-08-03, 12:42
Broadband just refers to a high speed connection. BT supply it through telephone wiring where Cable supply theyre lines through underground cabling.

Benjie
23-08-03, 12:45
Originally posted by IronMonkey
I am not trying to advertise just giving benjie a link he can read up on what a T3 is etc etc

http://www.t1-t3-dsl-line.com/page/32/

I'm confused.

I understand that a 56K dial-up modem translates digital information into analof information, passes it through phone lines and then translates it back again.

I don't understand actually WHAT Broadband is. How it works.

Thanks IornMonkey for the help. I know understand that a T3 is 28 T1 lines, but what IS a T1 line? How does it work?

I appologise for being so curious, but remember when you where a kid and you kept asking your mum why? well my mum used to answer, so I guess I have never stopped. :)

IronMonkey
23-08-03, 12:51
benjie it explains on the site i just agve you whata t1 line is. It also explains what every other form of internet connection is

just click around hehe

Benjie
23-08-03, 13:01
High Speed Internet is the new plastic. It's expensive now but we will find a cheaper way of making it soon... Didn't CD:RW used to cost a bucket-load aswell? Like a few ten thousansd or so? Hehe there 40 squid now.

*prays for OC-48 in the next 10 years*

IronMonkey
23-08-03, 13:06
yes benjie there is a city in california that is testing out optic connections on all homes in the area. Almsot all newly built homes in americas major cities are wired for fiber optic connections. Once you have enough and the 'lights' get turned on. There will be a market for this.

The only issue is the bankign and funding currently the richest firms in the world are the media firms. They tend to control a large portion of the worlds bankign funds. And well to put it simple and lightly. Until there is some way to protect their products over the net. You won't see any of their money go into moving forward broadband and fibers(internet bubble burst anyone?). so believe it or not but the broadband users who leech like hell mp3's movies games etc off the net, are shooting their own digital future chances in the foot. But thats for a whole nuther topic heh

Pill
23-08-03, 13:19
um, you don't need a oc256 unless you plan to run several game servers, but i'd say somewhere in the thousands, mabey 10 thouands.

Pill
23-08-03, 13:28
T3 T-carrier 3 (digital transmission line, 44.736 Mbps, 672 voice channels)

<communications> A digital carrier facility used to transmit
a DS3 formatted digital signal at 44.736 megabits per
second.

T1 T-carrier 1 (digital transmission line, 1.544 Mbps, 24 voice channels)

<communications> An AT&T term for a digital carrier
facility used to transmit a DS1 formatted digital signal at
1.544 megabits per second.

Digital Carrier: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=digital%20carrier
DS1: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ds1
DS3: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ds3

BTW: Last I checked, T1's are now starting at hundreds depending on who you get. But yea, there was a time when a piss-poor t1 was like 3k

IronMonkey
23-08-03, 13:37
yeah but a few hundred dollar t1 is fractional

enablerbr
23-08-03, 19:00
i'll just setle for 2mbit SDSL when it gets cheap enough. well until i become rich and can get a 10mbit lease line.

at this moment i'm on 2mbit ADSL datastream. though the crap 256k upload just sux.

bibliotequa
23-08-03, 19:20
SDSL is a dream, though few places have it. Isnt oc256 the one that was developed a few years ago that is pure fiber optics, and its so damn expensive that it is basically just wired in microsoft hq atm?

IronMonkey
23-08-03, 19:22
cisco and ms have oc256 backbones yes and thats it. everyone else is just borrowing bandwith from these pipes

bibliotequa
23-08-03, 19:34
Ok, just makin sure i was thinking of the right thing *drools* imagine using that for personal use *drools* you can dl the whole contents of an entire computer in mere second *drools* it almost downloads things before you click on the link, it reads your mind man, imagine... *clicks dl* .00000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a second later *download finished* :p *drools* *gets a mop*

enablerbr
23-08-03, 19:41
yeah but fileplanet would still take a life time to upload to you.:D

bibliotequa
23-08-03, 19:55
must you ruin everything? :p also the wait to get to the dl in the first place 256/256 ppl in line, please wait: 2 hours *bleh*

jernau
23-08-03, 20:10
Broadband is a bastard term now. It used to mean any rate in the SDH or PDH. ie >E1/T1.

Now the marketroids and other assorted fucktards want it to mean any connection >dial-up. I hate marketing cnuts.

As for "what's next?" : Well, xDSL is a family of technologies so much as with analogue modems we saw a progression of standards eg V24, 34, V90, etc. we will see ADSL, SDSL, VDSL, etc.

btw - DSL <> ADSL. Again the chumps have misappropriated an existing term. DSL = Leased line, eg kilostream or megastream. grrrrr

Pill
23-08-03, 20:13
My Fileplanet Premium Account > You waiting in line for two hours

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!

kurai
23-08-03, 20:43
lol

One thing that people often fail to appreciate is that an internet connection to a given location is only as fast as the slowest link along the route.

So you might have an OC256, and be downloading from Microsoft's OC256, but if one of the hops along the way goes through via a 12 year old router on rat chewed 10-base2 in someones bedroom, then that's going to be the limiting factor.

OK - it's a silly example, but you get the idea :D

jernau
23-08-03, 20:50
Originally posted by kurai
lol

One thing that people often fail to appreciate is that an internet connection to a given location is only as fast as the slowest link along the route.

So you might have an OC256, and be downloading from Microsoft's OC256, but if one of the hops along the way goes through via a 12 year old router on rat chewed 10-base2 in someones bedroom, then that's going to be the limiting factor.

OK - it's a silly example, but you get the idea :D

Very true.

The "net" part of the internet design (ie many routes between nodes) is kinda borked by international gateways that act as major points of failure and congestion.

Omnituens
23-08-03, 22:24
im on 150K NTL Cable.

its the shit.

okay DL speeds, excellent pings, fairly cheep too.

Spectra260
23-08-03, 23:43
AB (After Broadband) comes MB (Mobile Broadband) but whats after that !?!?!?!

Benjie
24-08-03, 00:13
Somethings bugging me.

Why don't people make OC256 themselves?

I mean it's possible to make a computer very cheeply if you buy the ore and plastic in it's raw form and build all the processors yourself. It would be fucking hard and would make no sence becuase forking out 1k is a lot easier.

HOWEVER!
OC256 costs 1K a minuite. Why not just make the damn thing yourslef from raw materials? Why the fuck do we need some big firm to make uber proffet and hire lottsa staff? All you need is a book and patiance!

This may sound like a dumb question but really! Why don't people just make the expensive things themselves?

Why?

Why?

This is really bugging me!

kurai
24-08-03, 01:15
This may sound like a dumb question but really! Why don't people just make the expensive things themselves? Err . . . it does sound exactly that way, unless there is some overly subtle element of humour I have missed here. o_O

Benjie
24-08-03, 01:18
Originally posted by kurai
Err . . . it does sound exactly that way, unless there is some overly subtle element of humour I have missed here. o_O

As hard as it may be, it is possible to make a Gforce 3 by yerself. All you need are bits of plastic and a few bits o solder. But a Gforce 3 costs 150 squid.

An OC256 costs millions, so why don't we make them ourselves! Hard but worthwhile. Honestly a book called "how to make your own home made OC256 internet connections" would sell in mass quantities, and it IS possible! SERSIOUS!

kurai
24-08-03, 01:20
and it IS possible! SERSIOUS! OK - you are just weird. Not taking any further part in this. :eek:

Benjie
24-08-03, 01:32
Try here.

http://www.amazon.com/search_how.to.make.homemade.oc256.internet..connections@gullable_click.com (www.amazon.com)

Mattimeo
24-08-03, 01:33
AB (After Broadband) comes MB (Mobile Broadband) but whats after that !?!?!?!

I don't know, but MB is coming, I get 114k/s from my PCS cell modem, thats almost ISDN! woo, I'm on the wave of the future!

Dribble Joy
24-08-03, 02:23
As hard as it may be, it is possible to make a Gforce 3 by yerself. All you need are bits of plastic and a few bits o solder. But a Gforce 3 costs 150 squid.

An OC256 costs millions, so why don't we make them ourselves! Hard but worthwhile. Honestly a book called "how to make your own home made OC256 internet connections" would sell in mass quantities, and it IS possible! SERSIOUS!

150 pounds, or build it your self.....

riiiiight.

30 hours in a shit job, or months of toil for summat that in all likelyness will not work. O_o

Benjie
24-08-03, 02:29
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
150 pounds, or build it your self.....

riiiiight.

30 hours in a shit job, or months of toil for summat that in all likelyness will not work. O_o

yes know, but you wont get an OC256 Internet connection with 30 hours in a shit Job. They cost $10,000,000 a month. :)

Pill
24-08-03, 03:03
if/when when i hit the lotto, or some uncle i never knew dies and i get his fortune, my first act, will be an attempt to pry microsoft from out of the platinum diamond studded mr. t sized chain bill gates keeps it on, or at least a large portion of it :) that way, we will have oc256 action for all :D

Monthar
24-08-03, 12:03
Or just wait until we have Holodeck technology and someone comes up with a MMORPG using that technology. By then the T3 lines should be as cheap as dial-up access is now. At least relative to how much the average person is earning at that time. Of course we'd only see dial-up and cable/adsl in museums by that point.

Heavyporker
24-08-03, 12:18
Fuck... while the *idea* of personal fiberoptic lines might appeal...

don't forget that the LAST POINT of data entry... YOUR FOOKING COMPUTERS! That's where the massive bandwidth ends and your computer's wiring has to start dribbling data from the download into the RAM or hard drive.

jernau
24-08-03, 13:24
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Fuck... while the *idea* of personal fiberoptic lines might appeal...

don't forget that the LAST POINT of data entry... YOUR FOOKING COMPUTERS! That's where the massive bandwidth ends and your computer's wiring has to start dribbling data from the download into the RAM or hard drive.

Even if PC tech didn't improve for decades that wouldn't be an issue.

Pill
24-08-03, 13:25
gf3's cost 150 for a reason, go to a factory and see if they will let you watch the assembly line,the pcb you see, it's not just those contacts you see on the outside, it's layered, then there are teh micro processors...

Heavyporker
24-08-03, 13:39
oh really, why wouldnt that be the case, jernau?

I mean, far as I can figure, in-computer data transfer between the download cable, ram, and HD would be something like 100 mbps at best, yeah, AT BEST... there are read/write max speeds for the HD, remember... so transferring all the data of a computer would take much more time than the "0.000000001" second that a certain wit said in this thread.

jernau
24-08-03, 13:47
oh really, why wouldnt that be the case, jernau?

I mean, far as I can figure, in-computer data transfer between the download cable, ram, and HD would be something like 100 mbps at best, yeah, AT BEST... there are read/write max speeds for the HD, remember... so transferring all the data of a computer would take much more time than the "0.000000001" second that a certain wit said in this thread.

I assumed you were referring to extant fiberoptic techs. Even domestic hardware is hundreds of times faster internally than that.

Even if you were talking about mystical dream future-tech though it's reasonable to assume that all techs move at the same pace. PC speeds are increasing much faster than comm links so the gap will widen, not close.

Heavyporker
24-08-03, 13:49
so jernau, you're saying that a current desktop computer can shuffle gigs right into the hard drive even as they come in? I don't believe it.

jernau
24-08-03, 13:56
so jernau, you're saying that a current desktop computer can shuffle gigs right into the hard drive even as they come in? I don't believe it.

SATA = 150MB/s
T3 = 43Mb/s

=> SATA is 27xT3

Arrays can increase the gap even further.

Bitburger
24-08-03, 15:15
Service/ Voice Channels/ Speed
T0/DS0/ 1/ 64 Kbps
T1/DS1/ 24/ 1.544 Mbps
T1c/DS1c/ 48/ 3.152 Mbps
T2/DS2/ 96/ 6.312 Mbps
T3/DS3/ 672/ 44.736 Mbps
T4/DS4/ 4032/ 274.176 Mbps

The Future is now ;)

greetz bit

zonk
24-08-03, 16:24
Hehehe
sorry
but i ust HAVE to brag :p

Since redim gave up his 1 Gbit link for 500 p/m
I think im the fastest now with 100 mbit
Really funneh to see the NC Beta of 500/600 mb (?) download from germany finishing in 4 minutes :)

Utwente Campusnet (Cnet) muhaha :)
On IRC alot of ppl still contact j00 "Want alot of warez? Its available if u host a machine we bring to u"
My answer is then "No sorry m8, i got a network with 24 TB shared files"

Now flame me for bragging :)

Ow dunno if it has been noticed, but E-types are european standards (E1-2-3-4 etc) and T are American. Speed doesnt differ i think.

Dribble Joy
24-08-03, 16:54
Surely haveing a connection above the speed of your hard drive write speed is pointless? when your RAM is maxxed out the download rate will plummet?

kurai
24-08-03, 19:22
Originally posted by zonk
Ow dunno if it has been noticed, but E-types are european standards (E1-2-3-4 etc) and T are American. Speed doesnt differ i think. They are a little different - The T-1 spec is an older, less efficient standard developed by AT&T, and mostly only used in the US. Most of the rest of the developed world uses the E standards.

They are both effectively made up of a number of 64kbit digital signalling channels (i.e. ISDN channels)

T-1 equates to 24 64k channels, giving 1.544 Mbit
E-1 equates to 32 64k channels, giving 2.048 Mbit

A couple of the channels will be reserved for status and timing purposes, not user accessible data.

(You might sometimes hear an E-1 circuit referred to as an ISDN-30 bundle in the voice comms world . . . 32 signalling channels, 2 reserved, leaving 30 ISDN spec voice channels)